We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Poor frame rates all of a sudden...

I've been using the Mac client ever since it became available. Usually I get pretty decent framerates on Very High graphics setting (around 30fps or better). Just tonight it started misbehaving. It will start out at a good framerate (30 or so) and then, suddenly go to 6 or 7 fps. Sometimes less. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get back to the original framerate other than to reboot the MacBook Pro. Then everything goes back to normal (30 fps or better) - which lasts for a few minutes, then goes back down to 6 or 7. When the fps was lowered I tried setting graphics to Very Low - got about 12 fps by doing that. There doesn't seem to be anything else going on in the machine when this happened - one of the cpu cores is using about 20% (pretty much all LOTRO), memory usage is within reasonable limits (1.5gb for LOTRO), no excess network usage, etc. I don't have anything else running. When I exit from the game there is no noticeable slowness in the rest of the system. But going back into the client without rebooting, I get the same problem. (I tried the client in Windows and it worked fine)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

Quote Originally Posted by donworth View Post
    I've been using the Mac client ever since it became available. Usually I get pretty decent framerates on Very High graphics setting (around 30fps or better). Just tonight it started misbehaving. It will start out at a good framerate (30 or so) and then, suddenly go to 6 or 7 fps. Sometimes less. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get back to the original framerate other than to reboot the MacBook Pro. Then everything goes back to normal (30 fps or better) - which lasts for a few minutes, then goes back down to 6 or 7. When the fps was lowered I tried setting graphics to Very Low - got about 12 fps by doing that. There doesn't seem to be anything else going on in the machine when this happened - one of the cpu cores is using about 20% (pretty much all LOTRO), memory usage is within reasonable limits (1.5gb for LOTRO), no excess network usage, etc. I don't have anything else running. When I exit from the game there is no noticeable slowness in the rest of the system. But going back into the client without rebooting, I get the same problem. (I tried the client in Windows and it worked fine)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Couple of things to try for this from other threads.

1. Resetting the SMC may help. This can resolve issues that occur at the system level. The process is easy enough. Do read through the Apple support page here carefully and try it.

2. Trackpad and Gestures can cause issues as noted on this post, which also explains how checking Activity Monitor and reboot also helped someone else. I do not have a laptop or trackpad so can not verify the issues but it is consistent with the fact that LOTRO never plays in actual Full Screen mode but in a windowed full screen mode so still without the Finder.

Beyond these two related threads, you can the look to some standard Mac maintenance and troubleshooting to discount basic issues. If you are unsure what to do for this;

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
    Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Check this good guide which is up to date;

Basic Mac Troubleshooting

Especially the section on Repair Disk Permissions and using Disk Utility and the File System Check.

It's good practice to now Reboot the Mac.

Also, for Mac FPS related troubleshooting there is some useful FPS specific advice here, which is for Diablo 3 from Blizzard but still useful for troubleshooting games generally for low FPS issues.

Have a read of these. Run the basic maintenance and troubleshooting routines including Reboot and the SMC reset. Check the FPS troubleshooting link and see if any of that helps.

If not, then you may want to check your hardware as it can also be a symptom of failing RAM, overheating or other component issues. If none of the above resolve things post back and I can run you through that process.

GL

Thanks, Toddlepip! I had already run Disk Utility against the volume but I will try the SMC reset. Maybe also a safe boot since that usually cleans up a lot of caches and such. Since the client is working well in Windows, I suspect the problem isn't hardware. I might also resort to reinstalling the Mac client from scratch and repatching. You never know...

Quote Originally Posted by donworth View Post
    Thanks, Toddlepip! I had already run Disk Utility against the volume but I will try the SMC reset. Maybe also a safe boot since that usually cleans up a lot of caches and such. Since the client is working well in Windows, I suspect the problem isn't hardware. I might also resort to reinstalling the Mac client from scratch and repatching. You never know...
    Certainly try the smc reset. A fresh reinstall may be useful too. Make sure to remove all supporting files also. Here is a complete list (from direct download not Steam)

/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app

~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient
    ~/Library/Caches/com.turbine.lotroclient
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.lotroclient.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.turbine.lotroclient.savedS tate
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.turbine.LotroLauncher.save dState

You may want to hold onto the com.turbine.lotroclient in case it does't help then at least you can replace it with the key settings.

I was not having the FPS problem tonight. So maybe one of the things I did helped that - or it was prompted by something going on on the server last night.

But now the client is crashing (post Update 9) pretty regularly (three times in 20 minutes). I think I will go back to the Windows client on bootcamp for a while.

EDIT: fwiw, I played on Windows 7 (bootcamp) tonight. No client crashes, no graphical glitching, and the FPS on Windows was double that of the Mac Client. (about 65ish as opposed to 30ish on the Mac client). Not sure if that's attributable to superior graphics handling layer in Win7 to what the Mac client is using in Mac OS X. Anyway, much as I hate having to boot into Windows, maybe I'm going to have to wait for the client to get an update before I try it again.
    Last edited by donworth; Dec 18 2012 at 02:45 AM.

I haven't had a chance to exercise things under Update 9 so I can't comment on the Mac Client and crashes yet, but the FPS issue seems related to the SMC issues that Toddlepip pointed out. I have a mid-2010 27 inch iMac which suffers from the infamous Wi-Fi issue. I just had the disk-drive recall serviced and have noted that since having gotten it fixed around Thanksgiving, it has returned! (Wi-Fi randomly drops connection.) Fortunately it is still under Apple Care, so I'll have to give them a call again and find out what we did to fix it back then. I know we deleted some .plist file in /system, but I never wrote the information down. (silly me, I thought it was fixed!) But the interesting possibility is that the actual problem is a "corrupt" (whatever that means) plist file IN the Mountain Lion Distribution!

However, the interesting thing was that the "trick" to deleting the particular file was to power the system down -- not shut it down!
    Why?
    Because the particular file is maintained in memory and written back out (in its corrupt form) during shutdown. Deleting it causes start-up to re-write the file as it should be.

Other than that... remember you really can't compare a Bootcamp experience with OSX... because other than proving that the hardware itself is not the issue, Bootcamp is running a real copy of Windows with no portion of OSX involved.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80