The short answer is that captains make great main healers and great main tanks in 3-mans. For the easier 3-mans, you can also act as main-dps.
I like to look at 3-mans like 6-mans, but with half the players*: each player needs to assume the role of 2 players in the typical 6-man. If you are set up for healing, a captain can act as the main healer plus dps (kinda replacing the minstrel+captain combo in a 6-man). In a LtC build, you can be a dps-heals hybrid, (replacing a minstrel-champion combo), but then you'd want a teammate with some off-healing skills (warden, burg, minstrel, rk, captain, etc). Setup as a tank, you can be a main-tank/off-heal combo. Captains are great for 3-mans.
Some fun 3-man group combinations, off the top of my head:
- Captain/warden/champion (or captain/warden/lore-master). Perfect combination of heals/tank/dps.
- Captain/burg/guardian. Same deal, but with a little less AoE dps.
- Captain/minstrel/hunter (or captain/minstrel/rune-keeper). Solid tanking captain situation.
- Captain/champion/champion (or captain/champion/burg). Go LtC and kill everything before it can damage you.
- Captain/captain/captain. The essence of perfection (not much dps, but you won't die, though )
Groups for 3-mans are supposed to be flexible.
I think if you trait for HoH, the Hytbolt set will be more than adequate. We'll see how many defeat responses you can get in the new 3-mans soon enough.
*Well, that sounds kinda obvious, but I think I'm making some sort of point here.
Last edited by dietlbomb; Dec 16 2012 at 08:49 PM.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir
Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...