We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation [INFO] Mac Client - System Requirements

Turbine have still not posted official system requirements for the beta Mac client, however, the Steam page for LOTRO now has revised details which seem more sensible than the original version so we can probably take these until they do;

Mac System Requirements

Minimum
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Disk Space: 25 GB of available space
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better
    Sound: Integrated Sound

Recommended
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard Disk Space: 25 GB of available space
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 650M or better
    Sound: Integrated Sound

Few things to note:

1. Intel Core i5

Setting the Intel Core i5 processor as he minimum spec. seems very harsh. it would preclude;

Any Macbook
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) or older
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) or older
    Mac mini (Mid 2010) or older
    iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Late 2009) or older
    Mac Pro (Early 2009) or older
    Probably not a totally accurate list but gives an idea.

I would have guessed that anything with an Intel Core 2 Duo up (2007>) should be sufficient as a minimum. Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Intel Core as recommended and Intel Core i7 as a maximum type of bracket.

2. OS X 10.7.5 Lion

We know that OS X Snow Leopard or earlier will not work so this is the latest version of Lion. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion works fine and does offer some advantages though not so much graphically (at least yet, maybe in 10.8.3)

This sets it's own limits to playing LOTRO;

OS X Lion Minimum Requirements

Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better: Lion is a 64-bit OS. Unlike Snow Leopard, which could run on the very first Intel processors that Apple used - the Intel Core Duo in the 2006 iMac, and the Intel Core Solo and Core Duo in the Mac mini - the Lion OS won't support 32-bit Intel processors.

2 GB RAM: It's likely that Lion will run with just 1 GB of RAM, but Apple has been shipping Macs with at least 2 GB of installed RAM since 2009. Most Macs since 2007 can be updated to at least 3 GB of RAM.

8 GB drive space: Lion will be delivered via download from the Mac App Store. The download size will be a bit larger than 4 GB, but this is probably a compressed size. We believe you should plan on needing at least 8 GB of drive space for installation.
    Supported
    Models

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    source

3. 2GB Memory

With the memory issues when RoR Update 8 came out (and on the closed beta) both for PC and Mac it was a definite issue. Now those seem to be getting mostly resolved it may not be so crucial. But I think both Valamar and myself feel 4GB really is a sensible minimum. Bearing in mind that the 32-bit LOTRO client on these OS X utilises close to the full 4GB and it is leaving little overhead for the actual OS itself or other stuff you may be running also.

2GB probably works but is not ideal. 8GB will allow for full usage of the 4GB 32-bit limit for LOTRO plus OS and running other stuff. LOTRO probably will not use close to the full 4GB in an ideal world but with any memory leak etc. and lots of apps opened over long periods of time, More memory is useful and not so expensive these days.

4. 25 GB Hard Drive space

This should be fine and a lot more reasonable than 70GB! The current Update 8.0.1 beta Mac client patched up is currently around 21.23GB so 25GB gives a bit of overhead for future patched content.

5. Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better

Intel HD Graphics 3000 again is quite a minimum requirement given that it only came into use on Macs from Early 2011 on the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Mini. As an integrated graphics card it uses RAM so for example 2 GB of RAM installed it will allocate 256 MB (see link for more details) Consider that with the minimum RAM requirement.

I don't have any of these Macs so can't say what a reasonable minimum would be. Maybe NVIDIA GeForce 9400M from Early 2009 on? Other non-integrated graphics cards should be OK.

Remember some may find ways to get the most ancient Macs to play as long as they can use 10.7 Snow Leopard. And of course, the better the set up, the better the performance and graphics detail.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 14 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Graphics issues

The only thing I would add to the above is... all of the "current" Mac models should be more than adequate for LOTRO.

Current (December 2012) Mac Models all have more than sufficient Graphics capabilities.

The one caveat -- the MacBook with "Retina display." -- The current LOTRO Mac Client does NOT support the Retina display at "native" resolutions. This is because of font issues -- the LOTRO Mac Client does not have a LARGE enough font for the Retina display's high resolution. If you use it, you will discover that it is gorgeous with its graphics, BUT you cannot read any of the dialog boxes!

While I'm at it I should mention the "Known issues" with the current LOTRO Mac Client and Graphics... keep in mind this still a "Beta" client ...
    • The LOTRO Mac Client graphics settings are optimized for OpenGL on the Mac.
    • The "button" "Detect Optimal Settings" -- does not work.
    • Unchecking "Specular Lighting" solves many graphics "glitches."
    • Unchecking "Post Processing Effects" can dramatically increase your Frame Rate
    • Virtually none of the graphics sliders work.
    • If you change resolution (and many other graphics settings) you will "loose focus" -- i.e. you will no longer be able to type in the Chat window, or interact with various NPC, Vault and similar screens -- you keyboard doesn't know where it is!
      The technique to changing graphics Settings is -- change the setting to what you want; quit the client and re-launch it.
      This particular issue crops up immediately as the game launches in Full Screen mode and switching to Windowed Mode will trigger it. Once in windowed mode, you can easily flip back and forth between the desktop and other apps without problems.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The only thing I would add to the above is... all of the "current" Mac models should be more than adequate for LOTRO.

Current (December 2012) Mac Models all have more than sufficient Graphics capabilities.

The one caveat -- the MacBook with "Retina display." -- The current LOTRO Mac Client does NOT support the Retina display at "native" resolutions. This is because of font issues -- the LOTRO Mac Client does not have a LARGE enough font for the Retina display's high resolution. If you use it, you will discover that it is gorgeous with its graphics, BUT you cannot read any of the dialog boxes!

While I'm at it I should mention the "Known issues" with the current LOTRO Mac Client and Graphics... keep in mind this still a "Beta" client ...
    • The LOTRO Mac Client graphics settings are optimized for OpenGL on the Mac.
    • The "button" "Detect Optimal Settings" -- does not work.
    • Unchecking "Specular Lighting" solves many graphics "glitches."
    • Unchecking "Post Processing Effects" can dramatically increase your Frame Rate
    • Virtually none of the graphics sliders work.
    • If you change resolution (and many other graphics settings) you will "loose focus" -- i.e. you will no longer be able to type in the Chat window, or interact with various NPC, Vault and similar screens -- you keyboard doesn't know where it is!
      The technique to changing graphics Settings is -- change the setting to what you want; quit the client and re-launch it.
      This particular issue crops up immediately as the game launches in Full Screen mode and switching to Windowed Mode will trigger it. Once in windowed mode, you can easily flip back and forth between the desktop and other apps without problems.
    The LOTRO Mac Client graphics settings are optimized for OpenGL on the Mac.
    I'm not sure what that means? Settings to default just seems to set it to the default in the .plist i.e. 1024x768 resolution and Overall Graphics Quality to Medium.

This then sets Advanced Graphics to generally the lowest settings with a few at Medium and some disabled.

I have no problem setting all to Ultra and it appears to run fine. For the graphics glitches we have then I disable Specular Lighting and sometimes High Quality Lighting. Otherwise it all seems to work with the Mac OpenGL.

Antialiasing is disabled be default as it is not yet supported.

The "button" "Detect Optimal Settings" -- does not work.
    It does work, just that it may not always be accurate. For me it selects Ultra High (i.e. all max) and this works fine (disabled features and known issues excepted) For other set ups it may not be the optimal settings, especially on lower end ones.

You can use it and see what it sets it to. If you have issues then just set to lowest and work you way upo on each setting until you get the performance/ quality balance that suits you.

I would also add that none of the Troubleshooting options function as intended so you can't lower the FPS or engine speed etc.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Intel Core 2 Duo Works fine. Also any mac pro should be able to run it. I have a slighty modified 2006 version and it works fine.
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan583 View Post
    Intel Core 2 Duo Works fine. Also any mac pro should be able to run it. I have a slighty modified 2006 version and it works fine.
    Good to hear this confirmed Vulcan. Thanks.