We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO mac beta download issues

I've been trying to download LOTRO onto my macbook pro laptop. I have over 400GB of space left, so I know its not a space issue.

I had been trying to download it over chrome and it would always stop around 2.1 GB. I finally decided to try Safari and it got up to 6.5 GB before canceling. It won't let me resume download after it cancels, I have to restart the download.

My macbook pro is OSX version 1.7.3. I'm currently updating all the software on it that I can, but I don't know if it will help. I am worried about my Internet connection; we have wifi in my house and it is generally stable but I don't know what else the problem could be.

I read a thread where a person was having a similar problem and they ended up buying a router. We have a wireless router already, do I need to buy a wired one that I can attach to my laptop?

PLEASE help me!! I've been trying to download LOTRO since Monday and it is becoming very frustrating. This is the sixth or seventh time I've had to restart the download.

*** wanted to add that since my computer is only 1.7.3 there is no gatekeeper thing for me to mess with (at least not in the Security & Privacy section in settings) but this might change when my software update is complete.

* I AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO DOWNLOAD IT USING PROGRESSIVE DOWNLOADER. Would it be a better idea to just update my computer and try to download it from steam?
    Last edited by kellyann7; Dec 13 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyann7 View Post
    I've been trying to download LOTRO onto my macbook pro laptop. I have over 400GB of space left, so I know its not a space issue.

I had been trying to download it over chrome and it would always stop around 2.1 GB. I finally decided to try Safari and it got up to 6.5 GB before canceling. It won't let me resume download after it cancels, I have to restart the download.

My macbook pro is OSX version 1.7.3. I'm currently updating all the software on it that I can, but I don't know if it will help. I am worried about my Internet connection; we have wifi in my house and it is generally stable but I don't know what else the problem could be.

I read a thread where a person was having a similar problem and they ended up buying a router. We have a wireless router already, do I need to buy a wired one that I can attach to my laptop?

PLEASE help me!! I've been trying to download LOTRO since Monday and it is becoming very frustrating. This is the sixth or seventh time I've had to restart the download.

*** wanted to add that since my computer is only 1.7.3 there is no gatekeeper thing for me to mess with (at least not in the Security & Privacy section in settings) but this might change when my software update is complete.

* I AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO DOWNLOAD IT USING PROGRESSIVE DOWNLOADER. Would it be a better idea to just update my computer and try to download it from steam?
    Most likely it is an issue with the connection in some way in which the download is getting corrupted therefore will not resume and is incomplete.

Definitely update to latest Lion so 10.7.5 mostly as it has better graphics support for OpenGL which the Mac client uses and may help any network issues.

You don't need to worry about the Gatekeeper until you come to install the game from a complete download. If via Steam not sure how it works but otherwise just read the previous threads you have loked at.

One thing not mentioned I suggest to switch off the Firewall on the Mac just in case it is effecting the download. The router will most probably have it's own firewall and port settings which you may want to check if none of the following work. But is is generally more involved so try these first. If you can download some then at least it is connecting.

Not sure what your connection is but if a decent broadband one then I suggest to continue the download attempt with Progressive Downloader (you can open more than one thread in preferences may speed it or by clicking the download and select Threads and + add one if it will do this. depends on the server but think it does)

If that fails then yes try Steam. Previously it was a HUGE bloated install of 36GB+ but I see this morning that it is now a more realistic 20GB+ size download.(though still larger than direct download)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/

That should provide a more stable download for you.

If possible also with connection issues, if possible it is always worth trying to connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable rather than wifi which can be flaky. But if not just do the things above and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Post back if you need any further help. If you do so it may help to have a more detailed idea of your Mac set up

1. In the Finder click on the Apple icon on the top left of the menu bar (top of screen) and click on About This Mac > More Info....

2. Copy/Paste each line in that page, for example my setup;

iMac
    27-inch, Mid 2011
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
    Serial Number N/A
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
    GL
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5