We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Captain the class I am looking for?

I would love to play class where I buff my party members, can do decent dps, and possible do aoe heals. I'm also looking for a class that isn't stressful to level and can solo pretty well, insight on how the class mechanics work especially how healing and buffs work would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to give the mini a try.

It's got better heals and buffing than a captain, and once it gets warspeech, will do better DPS than a captain can.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Landroval

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Steam: Almagnus1

DPS is basically the captain's Achilles Heel until you get mounted combat at lvl 75

Sad but true.

I could honestly not imagine myself maining any character that wasn't a Captain, though, so YMMV.
    [b][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFFF"]Cainwen Ciaphas[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][COLOR="#C3C3C3"], Captain of Crickhollow, [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/CiaphasCain]HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH[/url]!!!
    [i]I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered![/i] My opinions are my own![/color]

Ah, well I only like melee, and love two handers. How does the healing work? Am I a main healer, I don't need to do much dps, I would like to do just enough dps and just enough healing that I'm not considered a main for either. I'd like just to fill a support role, also how is leveling and soloing on a Cappy?

I just finish leveling a captain and it was a worser pain then a guardian. Low dps, the buffs that help you come quite late in the game and since the last update the "pet" of this class is the most stupied in the game. You have nearly no self heals. You can quite good heal a three man instance if you know how, latest with raids you end up as support healer. You can even keep a group up with power but that need a higher level and the right legendary items. Boring to play solo you shine in group play.
    Officer of Radix Lecti @ Laurelin (the only real taters)
    You want to know more?
    [URL]http://radixlecti.eu/[/URL]
    The wise & sociable 2012
    Hero of the small folk 2013
    Original Tundra Cub owner 2014
    The kinship that brought the hobbit to Isengard :)

Quote Originally Posted by elvarger View Post
    I would love to play class where I buff my party members,
    Captains are great at this.
    can do decent dps,
    Define decent. Your max dps will probably be about half of a hunter or champion. But it should be enough to help you kill normals mobs while solo and to contribute to a group's total dps.
    and possible do aoe heals.
    Yes. We have 3 aoe heals. Rallying Cry is the best one, but it is gated by a defeat response (or a critical hit on Pressing Attack or Devastating Blow). Valiant Strike is an AoE heal over time; it is pretty excellent. Inspire is a Heal-over-time and becomes AoE when you have the Fellowship Brother trait.
    I'm also looking for a class that isn't stressful to level and can solo pretty well,
    Captain is probably the least stressful class to level, but it is really slow because of the low dps.
    insight on how the class mechanics work especially how healing and buffs work would be greatly appreciated.
    Most buffs are applied directly. Choose a player and use a buff.

Some buffs work on a single player designated as your Shield-brother (or Song-brother or Blade-brother). You just use those skills and that player gets buffed. When you have Fellowship Brother traited, it works on everyone in your group (but not as potently as on your shield-brother).

And some buffs apply to your fellowship like Motivating Speech and War Cry.

Heals:
    • Rallying Cry: Fellowship-wide AoE heal (plus HoT), but can only be used when you have a defeat response. You get a defeat response every time you (or your fellowship/raid) kills an enemy, whenever you get a critical hit with Devastating Blow or Pressing Attack, when you use Time of Need, or when a Minstrel gives you a buff that unlocks it. This is a pretty great skill. The Now for Wrath trait adds a power heal to it and you should always use this trait.
    • Words of Courage: This is a single-target heal (plus HoT). Choose a player and heal her. It costs some of your morale, and you cannot target yourself with this one.
    • Inspire: HoT to your Shield-brother (or HoT+PoT to Blade Brother, or just PoT to Song Brother). You should use this skill every time it's off cooldown. With Fellowship Brother traited, it also gives a weaker version to everyone in your fellowship who isn't your Shield brother. This heal is also a melee attack. Fun!
    • Valiant Strike: an excellent fellowship-wide HoT. It doesn't really start to shine until you get the improved version at 77. This one is also a melee attack (and it hits pretty hard).

Ah, well I only like melee, and love two handers.
    Captains use 2-handers. Minstrels do not.
    How does the healing work? Am I a main healer,
    See above. You can main-heal small group content, but captains aren't as potent healers as minstrels or rune-keepers. Your role is more of a support healer, making the main-healer's job less stressful. However, some extraordinary captains have been known to main-heal 6-man content.
    I don't need to do much dps, I would like to do just enough dps and just enough healing that I'm not considered a main for either. I'd like just to fill a support role,
    That sounds like a captain. We add a half-player worth of dps, a half-player worth of heals, and a bunch of excellent buffs to any group.
    also how is leveling and soloing on a Cappy?
    Not very hard, but slow. It's a great class if you have a low frame-rate.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Wow. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am kinda surprised by some of the negativity in some of the responses here. Maybe my mind has seen too many Blinding Flashes since my first main is a LM, lol -- but my second main is a Captain and I highly recommend the class as awesome

Someone once told me when I was leveling mine that I was playing her like she was a Champ cause I was constantly rounding up as many mobs as I could and mowed them down, lol. Amazingly, I never have had any problems doing that solo from early levels on to end game, so I don't see the problem with less dps - it's just not needed.

You have great buffs, high survivability cause of heavy armor, and you can heal yourself with Rally Cry - yes it's a defeat response but it is also a crit response, so if you pay attention to your build as you level you will crit often, at least I did - in which case it means others have likely seen that also as I am not unique.

Heals and buffs also make you always popular for groups, hehe. Yay! the Cappy is here What else?
    You can tank/off tank depending on how you spec and what is needed. The hally, while yes somewhat goofy looking, is also kinda cool and always distinguishes you from the great sword wielding Guard or Champ - though using a great sword is also rockin', hehe

I donno, I guess my post is verging on silly but I can't say enough good things about Captains really. They are almost as versatile as a LM, far more sturdy, can melee, heal, tank, support and save many a fellowship from disaster. What's not to love? Oh yeah, and as mentioned: welcome to god-mode at lvl85 on a war steed

Quote Originally Posted by Myiat View Post
    Wow. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I am kinda surprised by some of the negativity in some of the responses here. Maybe my mind has seen too many Blinding Flashes since my first main is a LM, lol -- but my second main is a Captain and I highly recommend the class as awesome
    For someone who is looking for decent DPS, how can I, in good conscious, recommend a class that is dead last for DPS when traited down the DPS line?

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    For someone who is looking for decent DPS, how can I, in good conscious, recommend a class that is dead last for DPS when traited down the DPS line?
    Well, I suppose you would not be able to really, if that is honestly how you view your Cappy when it comes to dps. However, I believe the OP didn't state that dps was the only thing he was interested in doing, and I believe that "decent" dps is subjective in any case. Still, I do understand your point.

I have a hunter too though, you see, so when it comes to the dps and ranking, ALL other classes feel slow to me after I've been playing her for a while, lol. I have also never been "one of the disgruntled hunter masses" as seen in the forums here - I know precisely what kind of damage I can churn out on her and for how long. So if I want dps, I take out my hunter - but then I get bored of just pew-pew you see, hehe.

Either way, I really believe Captains more than make up for slowness of dps with all their other amazing skills, and I find them such a joy to play that this aspect of their skill set being less doesn't matter to me. In the end I think passion for the class you play dictates your love of their skills and tolerance for where they are lacking enough to not only keep playing them, but to get creative with your own ability to build them and enjoy them and even recommend them to others - as well as offer suggestions to improve them from time to time, as you Almagnus have done - I've seen your posts (kudos)

I would love to play class where I buff my party members, can do decent dps, and possible do aoe heals. I'm also looking for a class that isn't stressful to level and can solo pretty well, insight on how the class mechanics work especially how healing and buffs work would be greatly appreciated.
    Answer is yes. If you know how to play cappy you can do very decent dps and excelent heals. Buffs are very good. You will have spot in any fellow. With power issues that champs/hunters/burgs have since RoR you are almost must for any group. Leveling on lower levels is slow that is true, but after lvl 60 with 2nd age 2H sword it is way better. If you like to play support role with decent dmg cappy is your class. And trust me you can do very good dmg especially AoE dmg at the endgame. Granted you will never be anywhere near champs/hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Galborion View Post
    If you know how to play cappy you can do very decent dps
    Decent indicates average, or middle of the pack. On our best days, we are no where near the middle of the pack, rather, we are at the back of it.

and excelent heals.
    Not while pushing out our top end DPS. Yes, we can heal - we make for good 3 man healers - but we can't push out our top end healing without sacrificing what little DPS we have, or vice versa.

And as far as tanking goes, it's extremely difficult to do passable healing and DPS while tanking because of how you must gear to be a decent tank.

Buffs are very good. You will have spot in any fellow.
    Eh, minis do buffing better than we do by leaps and bounds - they're a buffing class, we're a hybrid.

Our buffs are unique enough that they guarantee a spot in the fellow, when combined with the backup healing and the meager DPS contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    You might want to give the mini a try.

It's got better heals and buffing than a captain, and once it gets warspeech, will do better DPS than a captain can.
    Minstrel buffs are nice, but not as good as captain buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBaggy View Post
    Minstrel buffs are nice, but not as good as captain buffs.
    Are you kidding me?

And trust me you can do very good dmg especially AoE dmg at the endgame.
    I must be missing something. Good captains can pull out decent single-target DPS if traited for it (still not high end, but decent enough for me) but we have a grand total of two AoE skills, one of which is a super-weak defeat response on a 45s cooldown. That is not the definition of good AoE DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    I must be missing something. Good captains can pull out decent single-target DPS if traited for it (still not high end, but decent enough for me) but we have a grand total of two AoE skills, one of which is a super-weak defeat response on a 45s cooldown. That is not the definition of good AoE DPS.
    I thought the same thing.

On a couple other notes: "Decent" to me means middle-of-the-road. We're dead last. Though if you count our contribution to group dps via buffs we probably come in #1 (Definitely so in a raid setting). On the note of minstrel buffs. Their buffs are great but they also take quite a bit of upkeep. It takes a solid minstrel to keep up all relevant buffs and still heal. Whether they're better than a cappy's buffs...probably best to say they compliment each other nicely.

Is captain the class for you? Sounds like you're not overly concerned with dps so, yeah, probably. Excellent back-up heals, 2-handed weapons, great support skills. I love playing a captain and outside of Draigoch I've never been told "We have to many cappies".
    Last edited by Emachine; Dec 14 2012 at 09:55 AM.

yes, you want to play a captain.

ugh, another dps discussion?

I am not gonna argue with you guys. Everyone plays his toon in a different way and I think that cappy can do good dps. I never said anything about being top dps class. According to healing, you dont need to sacrifice anything... rallying cry every 6seconds is excellent heals in my book but perhaps I am wrong. And that is in 5R/2B traits with red capstone so I really dont sacrifice anything in DPS.

Technically, a burglar could be an alternative if you emphazise decent dps. However, I´m pretty sure the captain´s class is better.

The captain´s healing mechanics work very differently compared to almost every other healing classes in role- playing games. Which is really good.

In short, you have to play aggressively and urge you fellows to attack and routhlessly kill the weakest enemy first, if you want to be a good healer. If things get ugly you can replace the dead tank or the dead healer to save everyone. Needless to say, that is quite different from a typical healer who stands in the corner and hopes not to get hurt.
    Last edited by Benthragand; Dec 14 2012 at 12:20 PM.

I would say hands down you are looking for a mini. There are too many things in your list that do not fit the captain.
    A mini fits every one of your wants and it's also one of the top two classes on the Creep OP list.
    Last edited by Armitas; Dec 14 2012 at 03:04 PM.

do WS minstrels actually do better dps than a captain.. sustained?

Our burst dps is great, but minstrels is also quite good.
    And no i'm not referring to PvP because captains are quite bad at killing things in PvP.

I'd recommend captain, especially since you already said you like heavy armor and 2H swords.

Our DPS is back of the pack but still meaningful. I'm really talking single target there, and maybe I've got that attitude because I was introduced to raiding with ToO which featured DPS races. Had to squeeze out every drop of damage and I did my part first with buffs and second with a glass cannon build emphasizing my own damage. AoE damage is our worst aspect, you'd see this if you and your friends played with a DPS meter. Here is a list of classes with better AoE than red traited captains spamming PA 7-8 times a minute: Champions, Hunters, Loremasters, Guardians, Runekeepers, Wardens (as warden currently I peak at 3k in skraids and peter out as targets die), Minstrels, Burglars in position (their single target is good enough to hang). How do you people define decent? I go with average, are some of you confusing it with meaningful?

VS Minstrels:
    Our buffs are different. With blade brother and WC we do better group offensive buffs; our blade brother himself has buffs miles above AoW and AoP. Defensively I think the Minstrel has better group buffs, though if we swap to shield brother I would say our buffs to the shield brother himself outweigh the minstrel tact mit and armor and etc buffs to that shield brother. But really, our buffs stack and that's important.

Uhhh their damage isn't exactly good either, compared to the capabilities of other classes. Rubbing shoulders with us at the bottom, really.

According to healing, you dont need to sacrifice anything... rallying cry every 6seconds is excellent heals in my book but perhaps I am wrong.
    There's several things wrong with this:
    1) This requires you to get the PvMP gear, which will actually make your overall healing weaker because it has less usefull stats than the PvE gear (it's sacficing them for audacity).
    2) Things need to be dying frequently enough for you to actually sustain a 6 second Rally Cry.
    3) With the RoR changes to HoH, I will heal circles around you as you DPS and let people in your group die. The age of LtC healing died with this expansion.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Dec 14 2012 at 03:11 PM.

In all seriousness you might also want to try Warleader on creepside.

However checking off your list:
    Yes great buffs.
    Captain red traited for dps can still do ok but not best heals end game and not great but ok dps
    Rally cry heal is an aoe heal and with certain armor and legacies you can do it VERY often and powerfully.
    Pressing attack + multiple targets and high crits = aoe damage (but this is not your strong point for raiding and comes with a little sacrifice inn legacies too)
    Stressful to level? Not sure why any toon would be.. maybe lore master is stressful to level. Cappy is best grouped with a buddy or random puggers while levelling. After all captain + anything makes improves a duo or fellowship/raid. That's the point of the captain, not to solo.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000b1e1a/signature.png]Kangas[/charsig]
    [URL="http://helmsdeep.guildportal.com"]Helm's Deep[/URL] Kangas-Captain Kangdoom-Champ Furtive-Burg Wildlife-Hunter

I've actually leveled up most classes to the 30's range, and found the Captain to be the right pick for me to take to endgame. It's mostly about preference, I suppose, but I do like the fact that this is a heavy armour class with the ability to go 2H weapon or 1H + shield. This is essentially a utility class, one that can lean close to one of the 3 main roles you see in any MMO (tank, heal, damage). In-combat buffs are our selling point, and are one of the most welcome additions to any group. I've done some group content, and the amount of positive impact the Captain class has can quite literally turn a good group into a great group.

Rallying Cry with relevent trait in the healing line (heals initial morale, then heals morale over time; heals initial power, then heals power over time) is our main characteristic. We have other modes of healing as well, but another class-defining characteristic is our ability to resurrect both in-combat and out-of combat. Explore the class, and you will see we have many tools at our disposal that excel when played in a group. With such group utility comes great responsibility, mind you. One should really get to know the mechanics of group play in order to utilize Captain skills to turn an impending defeat into success. The feeling of actually turning around a seemingly hopeless fight is one of the best feelings I've had playing the game.

As far as soloing, yes, Captains don't do spectacular damage. This doesn't impede on completion of quests though, and we also have a pet along to use as either damage-assistance (archer), or help with survivability (herald). We are more focused on critting on a hit rather than the damage it does, as critical hits open up the door for a Captain to heal and continue on with the fight. For group play, always bring the best quality banner possible, as it adds some direct stats to you, and when placed on the ground, grants your group in the vicinity a specific buff.

Great class from my point of view. I actually deleted the Minstrel and Champion classes for my disagreement with the direction those classes were going. A WS minstrel able to deal insane amounts of damage and able to selfheal just as well went against the notion of 'balance' for me. Same deal with a Champion able to dish out insane amounts of damage and be protected with bubbles and other survivabilty skills just as well. I used to like the challenge that came with choosing a direction of going full damage at the expense of survivablity. Or, going more survivability with a hit on damage output. Other people like these changes that came with RoI, I personally don't.

I have found a class I can define with that gives one a choice to be better in any one class role, with the others coming secondary. Very capable in combat, and moreso in groups. It's worth a shot to try.
    Last edited by Aztec_Soul; Dec 14 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast