We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: research paper

Post research paper

Hello all, I am working on a research paper for my school final project. I have choose the topic J.R.R Tolkien. I writing here because I want to know what the fans know about J.R.R Tolkien and would love to hear from you all. I know from the biographies and few interview videos somewhat about the man behind Lotr, The Hobbit and others. But I want to hear from the fans, so what you think?
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

From what I undersatnd (I'm sure I'll be skewered if anything is incorrect):

-he was a religious man
    -he preferred the simple life; he was not a fan of technology
    -he was very interested in linguistics
    -he felt England should have it's own mythology
    -as he wrote LotR, he sent portions to his son to read, who was serving in the military during the war
    -I seem to recall he greatly enjoyed Beowulf and the works of CS Elliot

Random thought 1 - Although Tolkien was a good friend of C.S. Lewis, their writings are about as dissimilar as they can get. Compared with Tolkien, Lewis' works are clumsy and shallow. Like putting Shakespeare alongside Ayn Rand.

Random thought 2 - Tolkien is one of those rare persons whose mind was functioning at a level so far above us normal peons that you practically get nosebleeds looking up at him. We're talking about a literary Einstein here. I sensed this when I first read his books as a teenager. It was confirmed for me beyond any doubt a few years ago when I read Shippey's book Author of the Century. To call Tolkien a genius doesn't even begin to give sufficient credit to his intellect.

Random thought 3 - His books, esp the Simarillion, are so dense and rich that they could easily constitute an entire literary milieu, source material for innumable future books and movies, much like, for example, Norse legends have been tapped for everything from Douglas Adams books (Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul) to Monty Python (Spam! Spam! Spam!) to comic books (Marvel's Thor) tp god knows how many movies, plays, songs, etc.

To me this is how LOTRO fits in with the corpus of Tolkien's work: it is further expression and development of his original work, reinterpretted in a new context (i.e. MMORPG)

Good luck with your paper.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000062915/01003/signature.png]Hargondin[/charsig]

Thank you What are your favorite Tolkien quotes?

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
    Thank you What are your favorite Tolkien quotes?
    There are many but these move my soul;
    “I have claimed that Escape is one of the main functions of fairy-stories, and since I do not disapprove of them, it is plain that I do not accept the tone of scorn or pity with which 'Escape' is now so often used. Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?”

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”

“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

I could go on and on, but will limit myself to these. Of course there are infinite lines from his books worth quoting.

Thumbs up Something you probably didnt know..

Quote Originally Posted by danmax67 View Post
    From what I undersatnd (I'm sure I'll be skewered if anything is incorrect):

-he was a religious man
    -he preferred the simple life; he was not a fan of technology
    -he was very interested in linguistics
    -he felt England should have it's own mythology
    -as he wrote LotR, he sent portions to his son to read, who was serving in the military during the war
    -I seem to recall he greatly enjoyed Beowulf and the works of CS Elliot
    He was a christian man
    There wasnt much "technology" around in his day anyway
    He fluently knew somewhere between 5-10 languages
    He was also very good friends with C.S. Lewis (writer-Chronicles of Narnia)
    )

Thank you all
    Final Grade A-
    yay

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Thank you all
    Final Grade A-
    yay
    Good on you Ceremony.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Hello all, I am working on a research paper for my school final project. I have choose the topic J.R.R Tolkien. I writing here because I want to know what the fans know about J.R.R Tolkien and would love to hear from you all. I know from the biographies and few interview videos somewhat about the man behind Lotr, The Hobbit and others. But I want to hear from the fans, so what you think?
    It just so happens I am ALSO working on a research paper and it is ALSO for my (secondary) school final project and it is ALSO about J.R.R. Tolkien. Mine is not about the man though, it is about the influence of Old Englidh epic poem "Beowulf" on his works. I have worked hard, but I am nearly done now (want to get to 100 pages). I know he was influenced by Beowulfa LOT, you might want to devote a part of your text to that. If you need any help with that, I could send you the things I've found.

EDIT: I see you have already handed it in and got a grade A! Congratulations!!! If I ever manage to set up a Tolkien discussion group, I'll be sure to make an honorary note to you ;P
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Thank, that would be a honor in deed
    it is too bad i can't attach my paper.

Well, of course, we could private message eachother (is there such a thing on this forum?) and exchange email adresses, so we can read eachothers articles. Mine is in Dutch, though, so I would have to translate the conclusion first :P
    Last edited by DwarfFriend; Jan 12 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~