We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Physical description of Aragorn

In The Lord of the Rings, a description of Aragorn's hair and eyes is given on page 156 or so, when Frodo meets Strider in the Prancing Pony, and I seem to recall its mentioning he had long legs. But I've also seen it said that Tolkien describes him as "tall and dark" – does anyone know where exactly that description is from?

Well to begin with Aragorn is a Dúnadan, "man of the west." A race of Men descended from the Númenóreans who survived the sinking of their island kingdom and came to Eriador in Middle-earth. The Númenóreans had the favor of the Valar, for their part in a mighty 1st aged battle against the original Dark Enemy: Morgoth, and Eru blessed the Númenóreans with long life and physical presence among other gifts. I mean these guys were tall - basketball tall, everyone of them.

And even though by Aragorns time most of the (gifted) blood of Numenor was spent (as Elrond would say) A few men like Aragorn and Faramir (to a lesser extent) still resembled their ancestors. Aragorn had long life and was Tall - not necessarily "Dark" but he was described as "looking foul" - whatever that means - I think it had to do more with the perspective of the Hobbits and folk of Bree and their general distrust (and disdain) of the Ranger folk. And the rough, wild, unkept wardrobe and general hygiene of a man who spends more time in the bush than with board and breakfast.

Maybe others can quote page numbers for you - but its all in the books: The Silmarillion, the Hobbit (kind of) and LOTR (also the histories)
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

I already knew all that. Yes, I know, it's "all in the books," and I suppose I could have "just as easily" reread all of the books instead of asking here. All I was asking was if anyone knows exactly WHERE in the books (especially Lord of the Rings) he was described as "tall and dark." If you don't know, thanks anyway, but that's all I'm asking.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

From the Fellowship of the Ring

Soon after the moment when Frodo notices Strider in Prancing Pony and asks Barliman Butterbur about Strider, it's described how Strider looks like. I'll write it here, but note that I don't have an actual English book here, so my translation might be slightly off. I think you wouldn't do anything with the page number, because in different translations and versions the pages differ, I guess.

"As Frodo walked closer he [Strider] moved the hood aside and revealed tangled, dark hair with gray stripes, and pale, strong face and sharp gray eyes."

And before this Frodo had noted that Strider was a big/tall man, but that might be just from his perspective. And Butterbur said Strider, ehm, strides around with his long legs - but it might just mean that Strider's a busy person.

Maybe the word "dark" means something similar to "grim"...
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Thanks. Yes, the chapter "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony" is what I looked at to begin with. Butterbur mentions his "long shanks" but gives no other physical description. The English text says only that when he threw back his hood he showed "a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes." There's nothing else. But numerous places throughout the Internet I see him described as lean, dark, and tall, with no attribution, and I was just trying to find where (if anywhere) Tolkien so describes him. It may be somewhere in Tolkien's voluminous notes; I was hoping someone would know exactly where.

I think its inferred from all the background information we have on Aragorn and the men of the west - is what I'm trying to tell you - It's also a common cliche to describe heros as "tall, dark and handsome" so I'm sure that 's in play as well - but I suppose you knew that too.
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

In other words, you don't know either!

As I said I think its a general inference from general descriptions, but I have a e-copy of the works (though its something a friend typed out for typing practice and gave to me - so the page numbers might not match up - but will be in the general vicinity of what i cited) and I did a quick search for the phrase: Tall and Dark, cross referencing it with Aragorn / Strider - and here is what I came up with - I gave up after the fellowship of the rings because I think what has been discovered is enough to get the point.

It seems to me that Gandalfs letter to Frodo is probably the closest to what you are looking for.

Fellowship of the rings:
    Chapter 8: Fog on the Barrow-Downs
    Page 110

"Old knives are long enough as swords for hobbit-people," he said. "Sharp blades are good to have, if Shire-folk go walking, east, south, or far away into dark and danger." Then he told them that these blades were forged many long years ago by Men of Westernesse: they were foes of the Dark Lord, but they were overcome by the evil king of Carn Dûm in the Land of Angmar.

"Few now remember them," Tom murmured, 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."

The hobbits did not understand his words, but as he spoke they had a vision as it were of a great expanse of years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow. Then the vision faded, and they were back in the sunlit world. It was time to start again

Chapter 9: At the Sign of
    Page 112

In those days no other Men had settled dwellings so far west, or within a hundred leagues of the Shire. But in the wild lands beyond Bree there were mysterious wanderers. The Bree-folk called them Rangers, and knew nothing of their origin. They were taller and darker than the Men of Bree and were believed to have strange powers of sight and hearing, and to understand the languages of beasts and birds. They roamed at will southwards, and eastwards even as far as the Misty Mountains; but they were now few and rarely seen. When they appeared they brought news from afar, and told strange forgotten tales which were eagerly listened to; but the Bree-folk did not make friends of them.

Letter to Frodo from Gandalf: delivered by Butterbur
    Page 129
    Dear Frodo,
    Bad news has reached me here. I must go off at once. You had better leave Bag End soon, and get out of the Shire before the end of July at latest. I will return as soon as I can; and I will follow you, if I find that you are gone. Leave a message for me here, if you pass through Bree. You can trust the landlord (Butterbur). You may meet a friend of mine on the Road: a Man, lean, dark, tall, by some called Strider. He knows our business and will help you. Make for Rivendell. There I hope we may meet again. If I do not come, Elrond will advise you.
    Yours in haste
    GANDALF.

Page 139

Frodo lay down again, but for a long while he could still see the white flashes, and against them the tall dark figure of Strider, standing silent and watchful. At last he passed into uneasy sleep.

Chapter 3: The Ring Goes South
    Page 225
    Aragorn was the tallest of the Company, but Boromir, little less in height, was broader and heavier in build. He led the way, and Aragorn followed him. Slowly they moved off, and were soon toiling heavily. In places the snow was breast-high, and often Boromir seemed to bc swimming or burrowing with his great arms rather than walking.

Page 274
    At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elanor, and a light was in his eyes. He was wrapped in some fair memory: and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. Arwen vanimelda, namárië!he said, and then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled.

Chapter 8: Farewell to Lórien
    Page 289

Then Aragorn took the stone and pinned the brooch upon his breast, and those who saw him wondered; for they had not marked before how tall and kingly he stood, and it seemed to them that many years of toil had fallen from his shoulders. "For the gifts that you have given me I thank you," he said, "O Lady of Lórien of whom were sprung Celebrían and Arwen Evenstar. What praise could I say more? '

I hope this helps - and maybe next time you can be less snarky to those trying to help you.

Take care
    Take Care,
    D.

Thanks, Dwarendele

You done good!
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Haha - peace to you, brother - lol
    Take Care,
    D.