We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Poll: How Story-Based is Lotro?

Hi everyone! I am currently reading The Hobbit and I have seen all 3 movies in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was wondering how true to the story of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit LOTRO is? So on a scale of 1-10, 1 being extremely far away from the original stories by J.R.R Tolkien, and 10 being exactly like the stories by J.R.R Tolkien, where would you place LOTRO?

I will take as many responses as possible and total up the most popular vote among the comments on this thread. The results will be given by December 18th, 2012 Mountain Standard Time (in United States.)

If you guys think that this post was interesting, fun, and that I'm just a pretty cool guy, then please vote up my reputation.

>---------------> ADEPT ARROW (ELF HUNTER-MAXADOR-RIDDERMARK)
    Last edited by AdeptArrow; Dec 11 2012 at 10:58 PM.

I'd Give it an 8

I would give Lotro an 8 of 10 in terms of how true to the story they are. I think they are very true to the story but they do have quests that do not necessarily correspond with the original story, but doesn't detract from the game or story at all, it makes things better and more active.

I would give it a 8 out 10.
    Would have got more, but too many silly things going on as of late.(distractions and immersion killers)
    Lotro is based on the books mostly to to do with the War of the Ring Trilogy if I remember correctly.
    The Hobbit is the prequel which lotro only touches base on it in certain places in this world we play in(license issue I'm sure).
    The books in quest line are mainly the best way to keep with the flow of the story and yes there are lots of side quests that take you to places.Some have to do with what is going on while the fellowship travel with the ring and after the breaking of the ring.
    One of the senior members will be along shortly to give a more in depth look into each trilogy I'm sure.
    But I do like where you are going with this and could not resist.

Overall, Best storyline(must be the books) I have played in a game in a long time.
    Safe journey.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920a000000096bfa/signature.png]Cardoba[/charsig]

Since we can't play the game as if we're travelling with the fellowship (since it was comprised of less than a dozen people, not a couple thousand) it's hard to say whether it stays "true to the books". Whenever applicable they match the stories, locations, and people up with the lore, but obviously a lot of stuff is not gonna be in the books.

That being said, the stuff that is in the books (landmarks, NPCs, etc) are all pretty close to the lore.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

6 Waterbank Road, Menellant, Falathlorn, Meneldor
    the game I would rate 9 of 10 --they keep and follow the story line anywhere it appears in game, and though some of the creations of turbine don't appear in the book, they don't break it either. The movies (since you mention you have seen them, not that you have read the trilogy) I give a 5 of 10. They change story lines, add some, omit others... they tell a good story for movies, but not the complete lotr story.

Turbine employees (at least in the first couple years, dunno if still true) were required, yes REQUIRED, to read the lotr trilogy at least 3 times. Most of the cs and especially the devs seem to love the lore and pay close attention to it when they build anything new.

In the beginning, every little thing was passed to the license holder, (middle earth enterprises-paul zentz(?sp) inc) to be vetted. until they said to turbine, enough!, you are doing well, just keep it up and we will let you know if anything comes to our attention, we don't need to know all the info you are feeding us anymore.
    [CENTER]Whitestar Rangers : Meneldor : 7
    Four Horse men of the aPUGalypse : Landroval : 6
    And First of All, [B]Badfinn[/B] : Meneldor : One of the Few Remaining Male Weavers.[/CENTER]

I'd give the game a 9/10. I'm no lore-buff and I'm basing my score on how the quests are well-written and how the world was designed to match middle-earth as I have imagined it from the books. the epic quest line is enough proof that the game is story-based.
    about other in-game stuff being lore-breaking...I'll leave it to the experts :P
    [url]http://eternalno0b9aming.tumblr.com/[/url]

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdt_the_Confused View Post
    paul zentz(?sp) inc) .
    Saul Zaentz is the man's name.
    I have a hard time settling on a number. If I had to I'd pro'ly err on the side of caution and say6 or 7 out of 10

This is hard to really evaluate. For areas covered well in the material LotRo is allowed to pull from, I'd give them an 8.5/10. Given that we are not the fellowship characters and allowances have to be made going from a written book to an interactive game, I think that is about as good as you can get.

For areas in LotRo that weren't covered (or very poorly covered) in the material in their license but covered in something else Tolkien wrote (Simillarion, History of Middle Earth), I'm going to refrain from rating, as it is rather unfair to criticize them for not matching exactly what Tolkien wrote when they aren't allowed to use it.

the game I would rate 9 of 10 --they keep and follow the story line anywhere it appears in game, and though some of the creations of turbine don't appear in the book, they don't break it either. The movies (since you mention you have seen them, not that you have read the trilogy) I give a 5 of 10. They change story lines, add some, omit others... they tell a good story for movies, but not the complete lotr story.
    LMAO for you giving the movies a 5 and this game a 9. Let's draw a discreet veil over how they've done things like, say, killing off some of the Grey Company before they even meet up with Aragorn, when that never happened in the book. That's a clear break with the story, oh Confused One: Halbarad said thirty was all he could gather in haste, not that they derped about all over Eriador and some of them got themselves killed. Or that Theoden and the gang get to meet hobbits before they meet Merry and Pippin at Isengard, trashing the story there because they should no longer be amazed at the sight of hobbits. Or that the Elves of Lorien have made Dwarves their bestest friends all of a sudden (or how before that change, they'd casually shoot their fellow Elves). Or how the Elves attack Lorien months ahead of schedule, well before Sauron's fall, something they didn't do in the book. Or how there are spiders and undead everywhere, and never mind the specific story-based reasons they aren't everywhere in the book. Mobs in the Shire, that's another one; more than just Trolls living in Rhudaur; evil Men galore in Angmar; 'impossible' settlements like Trestlebridge. Those are all things where the movies didn't change in the least from the story in the book, so from where I'm sitting I'd have to say that saying the game is better than the movies in terms of faithfulness to the original really is a joke. There's more to it than just where the Fellowship are at a given point in time. (And they don't even get that right, always, as there are assorted locations that don't match their descriptions in the book, including Bag End, the Prancing Pony, and the Last Homely House).

Turbine employees (at least in the first couple years, dunno if still true) were required, yes REQUIRED, to read the lotr trilogy at least 3 times. Most of the cs and especially the devs seem to love the lore and pay close attention to it when they build anything new.
    Oh sure, they'll drop in little 'lore nuggets'... while breaking big stuff wholesale whenever they feel the need.

In the beginning, every little thing was passed to the license holder, (middle earth enterprises-paul zentz(?sp) inc) to be vetted. until they said to turbine, enough!, you are doing well, just keep it up and we will let you know if anything comes to our attention, we don't need to know all the info you are feeding us anymore.
    That only means that they can rely on Turbine not to do anything mad that'd bring the franchise into any sort of disrepute. That's not the same as being faithful to the story.

Oh, and as regards the OP: I'd say about 5/10 and dropping.

Arrow LOTR Movies

Yea i really disagree. The movies are pretty story based from what I can tell. I mean gondor alone looks exactly like it does on the cover of return of the king. Watch the extended versions of the movies, but I can see what you're saying. In the books I don't think they really follow Aragorn's love for Arwen as much as it is emphasized in the movies. But you have to put in mind that its a movie and they couldn't shove the entire trilogy into 3 movies. the movies would each be like 5 hours long.

So, whats the question? How true to the lore of LOTR is LOTRO? I'll say 6 out of 10 and fastly goin down with last expantions. Those who give movies 5 of 10 make me chuckle... movies are like 9 of 10 true to the lore.

If the question is how Story-driven is the game, how much story is there behind the quests, I say 7 out of 10, again fastly goin down with last expantions and the new "tech" granting you completing of 3 or more "quests" by killing same mob.
    I hunt. I kill.

Warden by destiny, Hunter in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyKOko View Post
    So, whats the question? How true to the lore of LOTR is LOTRO? I'll say 6 out of 10 and fastly goin down with last expantions. Those who give movies 5 of 10 make me chuckle... movies are like 9 of 10 true to the lore.

If the question is how Story-driven is the game, how much story is there behind the quests, I say 7 out of 10, again fastly goin down with last expantions and the new "tech" granting you completing of 3 or more "quests" by killing same mob.
    yea its story driven

I'd give the movie a 9/10 and the game a 7/10 for adherence to the story line.

To me the big difference is just how much you need to change to adapt the story to an MMO compared to a movie. Take for instance the biggest single lore break in the game so far in my opinion, the reincarnation of Angmar. Turbine needed a base for the evil forces in Eriador, it had to be big and it had the be particularly evil, and nothing existed in the story which came anywhere near to what was needed. It could be argued that there were better ways of achieving what they needed, but in the end that was the direction they chose to go in and it was fairly effective in my opinion.

The same goes for the many other lore breaks in the game so far, some were necessary, others not so much, and some simply unforgivable. In the end though they've created a pretty good MMO and a world that, despite it's mistakes and inconsistencies, is still unmistakably Middle-earth.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

I'll give it a 4. Before the expansions I would've given it an 8 or 9 easily.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

I am going to keep my answer to myself, too much mud slinging on this subject.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Thumbs up

9/10

The only thing I miss, or better put, think that there should have been, is the significance of the night and the day. Especially seeing trolls strolling aruond in the broad daylight is somewhat disorienting. (The Olog-hai, the sun enduring Trolls of Sauron, had never been unleashed by him until the Battle of the Morannon.) Likewise, excepting Saruman's Uruk-hai, Orcs (= Goblins) would somewhat lose power and endure pain under the daylight, while contrastingly they would be overwhelmingly strong against the "freeps" at night.

Another point is encountering Hobbits everywhere -especially in Eriador. But that and other things I can explain to my nerdish self as the world of LOTRO being rather an alternate universe in Middle-earth at the end of the Third Age

The depth of lore to be found in the game and the apparently vast amount of research behind the scripts is fascinating. That's -if all else fails- the one thing I'll always give Turbine
    Last edited by Urwendil; Dec 24 2012 at 05:44 AM.
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

Exclamation Results!!! 12/18/12

There were 11 total votes cast in the poll. Here are the results. If people gave decimals or fractions in their score, the vote was rounded up if the fraction or decimal was at least five-tenths. If someone used two numbers, like if someone said, "I think it is an 8 or 9 out of 10," then I took the highest

1/10- 0 votes, 2/10- 0 votes, 3/10- 0 votes, 4/10- 1 vote, 5/10- 0 votes, 6/10- 0 votes, 7/10- 3 votes, 8/10- 2 votes,
    9/10- 5 votes, 10/10- 0 votes

9 out of 10 wins! Congratulations LOTRO! You have a very strong game!

Personally, the game is truer to the books than the movies, particularly so to date. No game or movie will ever be 100% faithful to a book. The media are too different and the licensing come to the fore. I will say that compared to some, both the game and the movies are better than 50% correspondence to the books, given the licensing limitations.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Well, I might be the first to rate it lower than other people. I'd say 9/10 to story and 5/10 for lore. I think it is a GREAT game and it really builds onto the magical feeling of enchantment and happiness that is generated within me when I read the books or watch the films, while still keeping true to the story we know, BUT... there are a lot of things in this game that are "invented" by Turbine to fill in the gaps of NPCs and the entertainment value of the game to the non-die-hard-Tolkien-fan audience. I don't consider it a bad thing that they didn't entirely stay true to the lore. If they did, the game would probably take years longer to make and be a bit more boring. I think they did a great job and should keep going at it. I am hoping for an Erebor zone :P
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~