We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

A Letter Home

Father:

I attended my first Marty Grass party in Michel Delving tonight.

It was overwhelming what with the fireworks and the singing and the dancing and the music and the people in colourful costumes.

We don't celebrate Fat Hobbit Tuesday in Little Delving the way they do here. It was a show unlike anything I have seen in the Shire, and will ever see again.

The music came from the Green Hill Music Society, which is run by a fellow Bounder as it turns out - Falibrand - who'se been with Addernotch Station for a good three or four years now. I didn't know on enlisting at Addernotch Station that I'd be associated with somebody famous like that.

There were a couple who seem to have been stressed about things they found outside the Shire. I heard one say to the other that there's is nothing more worrysome in the Shire than the "pie fairy". Yet, I'd spent the two months since I left home battling a real menace. Evil troll-napping dwarfs, brigands, spiders the size of a wagon and goblins bubbling out of the ground like a mountain spring. There's something villainous about.

It made me think how much I will miss the Shire when I leave. It is generally peaceful here, with good folk enjoying a good and simple life. Yet, the best way to protect it seems to be to track down the source of these troubles.

I am set to walk to Bree on Monday, February 18th. We'll be leaving at dawn ((just before the first sunrise to occur on the server at 12:00 EST on Monday - I will post the time when I am more able to predict what it is. There will be a second group leaving at the first dawn after 8:00 PM EST)).

Bree is awful far away, and I don't know when I'll be returning. It will be when I am certain I've figured out the source of the problems confronting the Shire. It may take a while.

I will miss you and I will continue to write as time permits.

Alphred Troute.

Don't worry about me. I'll have friends with me.

Alphred Troute

Club Eclair is a slow=leveling group whose members agree to level at the same rate. Currently, we are working with a cap of 9. On Monday, February 18th, we are raising the level cap to 11 for the group, and opening up the South Bree and the Old Forest for adventure. If you have a character you're willing to lock at 11th level you're invited to join us at the Prancing Pony as we march into town - Monday, February 18th.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

(Club Eclair) Preparing for Bree

Father

There is nothing I can do today, so I am staying indoors to write this letter.

We have been hit by one of the worse storms I have seen. It has kept us shuttered inside for nearly two days now - unable to go out into the world.

I can only hope the goblins suffer as well.

I am at the Bounder station with Bounder Primstone in Brockenborings. For the past week or so, I have been getting together with friends to help drive back the goblins camped near the Greenfields - rescuing sheep and shire-folk and shipped goods as it is the goblin way to take what they please.

Tomorrow, I was due to move on to Stock and get provisioned for my trip to Bree. The Bree trip is scheduled for dawn on Monday. ((The first in-game dawn after 12:00 noon Eastern time.)) There'll be another group following us after a bit ((the first dawn after 8:00 PM eastern time)).

I've been curious as to what Bree looks like. I've spoken to a few people who have been there, but many say they have news that Bree has changed a bit since the last time they saw the place. Mostly they say how big it is.

I'm to find a place called the Prancing Pony Inn, and see to the renting of some hobbit-sized rooms for the duration of our stay.

I am nervous and excited at the same time.

One of the things that I will be doing when I get with Bree is to see if I can find somebody who can continue my trainings. I'll not be trying to advance my trainings until I have a qualified tutor, so as I do not learn any bad habits. ((Club Eclair's current level cap is 9. It will rise to 11 on Monday, but I will personally continue to block XP until Alphred gets to Bree.))

Mostly I am curious as to who we might meet there. Who might there be at Bree who would have a care to help us on our little mission? ((For any who want to join us in Bree, all that's required is an interest in role-play adventures and a willingness to respect the level cap - which is no higher than 11th level come Monday.))

The storm continues, father. I'll not even be able to get this message to you until it lets up. Postmaster Proudfoot must be beside himself over all the deliveries being missed. But there's naught to be done about it.

I will close this letter for now. Give a hug to the girls.

Alphred
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

I just hope there's no nasty flies in Bree-land like the monster we found past the Greenfields, north of Brokenborings. That one was huge and very scary!

-Blippa.
    [center][I]"No, you are right. There is strength in these hobbits yet,
    and if they need to repel dangers from outside, they will do so."[/I]
    -Ranger Halros[/center]

Club Eclair Departure Times for the Walk to Bree

According to calculations for Monday, February 18th

Group 1 of Club Eclair will be departing Stock for Bree at "dawn" - 1:45 PM (eastern time)

Group 2 of Club Eclair will be departing Stock for Bree at "dawn" - 8:00 PM (eastern time)

Note: We are aiming to leave at dawn. And, by current calculations, this will be dawn. If dawn moves, so will the departure time.

P.S. Raising the level cap does not imply one needs to suddenly be 11th level. I, for one, will be staying at 9th level for a bit. It'd be more exciting that way.

Club Eclair at Bree

Club Eclair is a group made up of those who are using the XP Disabler to keep their levels constant so we can engage in roleplay adventures together. Our current level cap is 11 - though some of us are staying at 9 for a bit as we explore the regions east of Bree.

If you would like to join our adventures - you are willing to respect the level cap and engage in walk-and-talk roleplay adventuring - you can find us on the private channel club-eclair. Just type "/joinchannel club-eclair". You're invited to bring your <= 11th level character to Bree to join in the adventure.

Father

Not to make you worry, but I am lucky to be alive.

I'm investigating some brigands that live out here in the forest east of Bree - a place called Chetwood. I am trying to figure out if they are related to the brigands near Woodhall and, in particular, if I can learn something about the villain they called Sharkey.

I'm having no luck on that measure. The brigands here seem to be serving a different master - somebody by the name of Angmar.

I don't know much about this Angmar. All I have is a name and I know that he is not here yet. And I only know that on account of overhearing one of the brigands say, "Just wait until Angmar gets here," or something similar. They've also spoke of expecting powerful friends from the north.

At first, I thought them friends from the north was referring to Skogrim - the one who tried to buy them trolls from the dwarfs at Needlehole and who was trying to stir the goblins of the Greenfields against us. This might even be true still. Skogrim and Angmar may be allied in some grand effort. Or one may serve the other, or vica versa.

Anyways, the brigands themselves haven't shown themselves to be particularly dangerous - not so much as to warrant claiming my life were nearly ended.

It was while scouting out the brigands that I saw a warg in the distance.

Now, I've fought a warg before. There were the wargs living up in the ruins east of Budgeford in the East Farthing. I killed one of them by myself - even with the other wolfs around. It was naught to worry about really. And here in the Chetwoods there were three of us. In addition to myself, there was Liatri - the best warg hunter in the Shire. And there was the dwarf Andrig who helped against the Greenfields goblins. Where one of us could defeat a Budgeford warg, the three of us should have no trouble.

I could not have been more wrong!

I have never known such viciousness.

He seemed a bit confused at first, attacking different ones of us in turn, before settling on Liatri. It ripped right through her defenses and soon had her on her back scampering just to get away from its claws and fangs. The instant the warg decided she was no more of a threat, it turned on me. I fought as best as I could. But when the warg set a paw on my shield and pushed it aside I hadn't the strength to draw it near. He drove me down onto the ground and held me there while he turned his attention to Andrig next.

There's a fair chance Andrig could have downed the creature, 'cept he got beset upon by a brigand with a bow who plucked an arrow right into his armor. Fearing for his life - which was no mindless fear at this point - Andrig took to the trails. When the warg gave chase, Liatri and I retreated out of there and did not end our retreat until we reached the very outskirts of Combe. Andrig joined us just a bit later.

There's this circle of rocks we found just out of Combe. We decided before hand if we ever got beset upon and had to split up we would meet at the circle of white rocks - those that could make it.

As luck would have it, in Combe we met Rosyl - a hobbit who came with the second group out of the Shire. She suggested that what three of us had trouble with, four of us may be able to accomplish, so we went back into the forest hunting the warg.

It took us a while to find that warg again. In fact, we had searched the whole of the grounds where the first fight took place without any luck. We had given up entirely and was on our way back to Combe when we spotted him leaving some ruins and set up to do battle.

Fortune came to us this time in that we had more help than we were expecting with just the four of us. A young dwarf - one of them stonesingers - was in the area to give aid. And an elf followed up by a bird gave his strength to the battle. Even with the six of us, it was no summer picnic. It was a hard-fought battle. And somewhere in the mix these three brigands showed up to lend their aid to the warg.

This sight of brigands working with such a fierce warg makes me wonder who this Angmar person is.

The six of us prevailed in the end - dispatching the monster warg then giving chase to the brigands and driving them off.

Well, after returning to town after our hunt, we met up with Galdyn, the Breelander I mentioned before (I think - I forgot), who'se been helpful. She wanted our help battling some matron spider in the swamps. We went with her. There were six of us on this expedition and the Spider matron weren't near as fierce as that warg - though her brood was pretty big and we were battling them 3 or 4 at a time. Anyways, we dispatched the spider queen, after which I was ready to return to the Pony for a good sleep.

I'm safe for now, but it concerns me that my list of villains got longer - with the name of Angmar added to the list. I can't figure for the life of me where all of this villainy has come from all of the sudden.

Well, keep the girls safe. I'll be home when I can.

Alphred Troute
    Last edited by Tiempko; Feb 21 2013 at 03:59 PM.

((Club Eclair)) A Blade for a Life

A blacksmith's daughter has been kidnapped by brigands and is being held in exchange for a new sword.

I seek to muster a squad to attack the camp and free the young woman.

The mustering will occur at 12:30 PM Monday (with a second running at 9:30 PM Monday) at the watch cabin northwest of Bree. Contact Alphred Troute if you have questions or wish to join the muster.

Maximum 11th level, role-play adventure. You don't have to be a member of Club Eclair to participate. You need only to be no more than 11th level - 12th under certain circumstances - and be interested in a role-play "walk-and-talk" adventure.

Club Eclair is a group made up of those who are using the XP Disabler to keep their levels constant so we can engage in roleplay adventures together. Our current level cap is 11 as we adventure in the South Bree Fields. We are just starting the Old Forest. At 11th Level, this will be a true adventure.

If you would like to join our adventures - you are willing to respect the level cap and engage in walk-and-talk roleplay adventuring - you can find us on the private channel club-eclair. Just type "/joinchannel club-eclair". You're invited to bring your <= 11th level character to join in the adventure.

When enough peope are ready, we will move on to level 12 for Adso's camp, then 15 for the North Bree-Fields and Barrow Downs

Father

I am back in the Shire again, staying at the Golden Perch in Stock. The Bridge Inn seeming to be closed at the moment.

If I get some free time I hope to come back home for a bit. I know that I've only been gone a few months, but you might not recognize me. I do not feel so much as a fisher hobbit these days as a true Bounder. I've been to Bree. I've battled goblins and spiders that can eat a pony.

But I am quite happy to be in the Shire again, and Buckland was made for fishing with fishing piers the length of the Brandywine. If do not find some time to come home, I will certainly find some time to fish.

I have some important business to do here. Some tall folk rode through Crickhollow a while back leaving all sorts of destruction. I've got good reason to believe they are headed towards Bree and have fled this place. Still, I'll stay to help the people here as best I can and see if I can earn more about these threats.

Hedgerow wrote to tell me that the villains the caused the destruction here in Buckland are working with the dwarf what was trying to buy captured trolls at Needlehole and rallying the Greenfields goblins against the Shire. So, it seems I am still on the trail of the villainy&that threatens the Shire.

I am here with Galdyn and Liatri. Wilbus is here somewhere, or so I heard - though I got a message last week saying he was back in Bree. &I have sent word around and do expect to meet him here. Hedgerow, Pintail, Roy, Algfirth, and several others are still back in Bree and will catch up in a bit. Catfilch is recovering slowly from his wounds, but I continue to hope he can travel soon and bring Cindersoot with him. I will be happy to see them again.

I am wondering, since I am back in the Bounds, if Successor Shirriff Daffodilia might show up.

That should catch you up. I can't say how happy I am that you've hired a private tutor for the girls with the money I sent home. And it's no bother at all that she stays in my room. I'm not expecting to be back for a while, except a short visit, and I can stay at the Bird and Baby.

Give everyone my love.

Bounder Alphred Troute

Smile

Wow! What a great idea. I'm very interested in the concept and will likely be creating a character on the Landroval so that I can go adventuring with you!

I see that the March 16th event is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Eastern. Are the majority of members playing during Eastern and Central times? How active is the guild on a daily basis? Will I fit in if I primarily only show up for the scheduled events?

My main server is the Laurelin, and I am committed to spending the vast majority of my playtime there, as that is where my husband and I adventure together.

Also, I am sending you a private message via the forum, Tiempko.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfside View Post
    Wow! What a great idea. I'm very interested in the concept and will likely be creating a character on the Landroval so that I can go adventuring with you!
    Great. The more people we have, the better the opportunity to have somebody on when one wants to adventure.

I see that the March 16th event is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Eastern. Are the majority of members playing during Eastern and Central times?
    I would say we cover most American time zones rather evenly. And we have a respectable European contingent. Personally, I'm Mountain time so I organize my events later in the day.

How active is the guild on a daily basis?
    Technically, this isn't a guild or a kinship. It's a club. People belong to different guilds - with Bounders of the Shire being something of a host kinship. We use a public channel for communication. "/joinchannel club-eclair". As for "active", I'm still trying to recuit new members so that there's more activity. However, I've generally not had any trouble finding people to adventure with.

The way it tends to work is that there's not much in the way of scheduled events. People log on - sometimes they go their own way for their own reasons. But anybody can put out a call for something they might want to do. A warg hunt. A patrol through the swamp. The rescue of a blacksmith's daughter. There is generally one or two others who will join in.

Tonight, I logged in with Hedgerow with no particular plans. Pintail showed up and I asked if I could help him with anything. He mentioned a need to rescue a lass from brigands. Andrig showed up and the three of us went on an adventure.

Big events are scheduled. But a few things are just somebody wanting help with something and calling for help among those that they know to be at the same level and interested in the same style of play.

Will I fit in if I primarily only show up for the scheduled events?
    There's no rules regarding play other than (1) respect the level cap, and (2) our events are of the walk-and-talk role-play adventure kind. If you only want to show up for events, there's no reason to complain.

Would you mind explaining what walk and talk means? I am very interested in your controlled leveling policy, but I know nothing at all about RP.

Think of walk and talk like real life or improvisational theatre. Your toon plays their personality while interecting with the group they are in rather than running around just killing stuff.

Club Eclair uses the in game quests as a spring board for group roleplay. The majority of the players are all Bounders of the Shire, but please don't let that deter you from joining in.

Any further info on roleplaying just check out the RP forums.

Hope that helps!

Club Eclair - Moving Into the Forest

Father

I want to warn you not to expect to hear from me for a while.

I am going to move into the Old Forest.

In my patrols of late I met a hobbit name of Gillemin Brandybook who has a campsite. It seems safe. Though the forest is dark and dangerous, Mr. Brandybook seems well at home in his camp with nothing nearby that seems seriously threatening.

Naturally, there's no post, so I won't be sending any letters until I come back.

It does have a nice stream - and when I am not investigating the forest I fully intend to get caught up on my fishing. I'd like to see what kinds of fish they have in the Old Forest. Though I have some fears that the fish may have grown as malicious and corrupt as them that walk the land.

I've gotten the idea that the very soil has grown corrupt. The trees and the plants and the waters of the stream have draw this corruption up from the ground. There, it infects the creatures that eat the berries such as insects and bears. Then the bats eat the insects and the wolfs eat what wolfs eat. And all who drink from the water.

All forms of life in the forest has grown corrupt.

This corruption grows unusually strong in some creatures. Penninius and I were on patrol once - looking for Penn's brother who went into the forest searching for syrup, or so we thought. We didn't find him, but we found the fiercest wolf that you can imagine.

I was fool enough that I thought I would try to remove this corruption of a wolf from the forest. Soon, I found myself confronting a virtual wall of fangs and claws that I came to realize I had no chance of defeating. I told Penn to run - and I was right behind him.

My cloak got finely shredded with that wolf clawing at it, but we got away with our skin. From that point we resolved to keep good distance between ourselfs and that beast.

Oh, and we did find Penn's brother, eventually - in Buckland - asleep. He never had gotten into the forest.

On another patrol, where I was with Andrig and Willimena and Rosyl, there was a time when Willimena sent a pet bird that travels with her after a bat. The bats are among the creatures that had grown vicious and mean and we were trying to reduce their numbers so they would not be such a threat.

Well, apparently one of the local trees took issue with having this bat attacked under its branches and decided to do battle with whomever had disturbed it. It swatted Willimena's bird away at once and left it stunned on the forest floor. Then it moved against Willimena. Andrig was there to intercept - but Rosyl and I were some distance away.

We near to lost Willimena and Andrig as well in this battle. One sweep from a heavy branch and even our armoured dwarf ended up pretty badly bruised and dented - fearing for something being broken. Eventually, we got enough hacks and cuts into the tree that it went back to being a regular tree again, or pretending to be one. Either way, it opted to leave us alone, so we opted to leave it alone and move along.

Yet, I fear that the forest is in need of a good pruning. I am thinking that the best way to restore the forest back to health is to prune out the corrupt trees the way one might pull the weeds of a garden, leaving room for the good plants left behind to grow proper.

Oh, and I want to assure you that you did not raise any fool of a son. I won't be going off on any of these investigations by myself. There's safety in numbers that I seek to take advantage of.

That's all I have to report for now. I promise to write as soon as I get back. In the mean time, take care of yourself in the girls.

Love

Alphred Troute.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Mar 20 2013 at 01:13 AM.

(Club Eclair) Hedgerow's Bounder Report - Bound for Buckland

To: Bounder Chief Meadowlarke Sweetweed - Addernotch Station

It is my honour to report to you this day on the activities of the Eclarians in our efforts to secure the Shire.

It is my intent to leave Bree and join the others working out of Buckland to battle the corruptions of the old forest in the near future.

With Andrig and Pintail and Liatri and Hroik and others we have been continuing to pressure the brigandry here near Bree knowing that they're working for Sharkey - who also threatens the Shire. And the Bree folk have the worst of it since Sharkey has bread orcs with men and is seeking to treaty with other orcs here near Bree.

But the constablery here has forbidden us from pursuing the matter further on account that these matters must be handled by those properly trained for them and "mere amateurs, no matter how well intentioned, do naught but get underfoot." So I figure that my place mow is to help patrol the bounds at the High Hay, what with the corruptions that have been found there.

I got word from Alphred, who has moved into the heart of the Old Forest from them who have travelled with him. There was an effort a few days past to weed out many of the most corrupted trees, as one would pull weeds from a garden. The corruptions rose up against them, and gave them a difficult time, with Alphred and Roy suffering severe injuries on the expedition. They left Pintail still inside the forest, but in good company with the spirit Goodberry, when he grew weary and had to rest. Willamina was with them and, though she fared well on the expedition, her pet crow got severely battered.

Willamina, as was told to me, is out to collect samples of the corruption so as to understand it better. I'll report the results of her inquiries as I hear of them.

I have heard that, in the course of their patrols, they found a glade that is so peaceful and lacking in corruptions that a hobbit family could picnic there without danger - if one could get to it. And of a shade pool where the area is filled with foul vapors and nothing lives except some old and tested trees barely grasping on to life.

But the heart of the corruption seems to be in this place called The Weaver's Den, filled to the brim with giant spiders and other malevolence. Alphred is calling a mustering for Saturday at dawn to investigate. I will not be ready to help him, but he will certainly need help in such a dark place.

I will report again once I reach Stock. I will be staying at the Golden Perch if any want to contact me.

Bounder Recruit Hedgerow Shrewburrow

Club Eclair will be patrolling the heart of the Old Forest this weekend. Anybody with 11 or fewer levels and an interest in roleplay adventures is invited to join. A trip to the darkest corner of the Old Forest will start at the first dawn following 1:00 Eastern time Saturday. "/joinchannel club-eclair" either to participate or to follow the discussions.

(Club Eclair) Alphred Troute - The Darkest Dark of the Old Forest

Father

I am tired as I write this. But I wanted you to know that I am safely back in Bree.

The corruption in the Old Forest is deeper and more firmly rooted than I had thought. We went into the deepest, darkest corner of it - me, Willameena, Andrig, Algfriith, and a lass I just met name of Pariss.

The area we entered was filled with spiders. The trees and bushes were covered with webs. We saw no birds, no squirrels - the had all been eaten by the spiders. And as the spiders destroyed all life in their own homes, they moved out to take over new lands.

I could see in my mind a tree serving as home to bird and squirrel. Then the first strands of webbing show up. A bird lands on a branch and, in a flash, is taken by a spider. Days later, another bird - knowing better not to land, is snared by a web between the branches. Then, there is nothing but webbing, and bleached skeletons littering the forest floor.

At the heart there was a tree - a dark and angry tree without leaf or flower. It was rotten to the core. Even from a distance we could see the holes of the beetles that had chewed their way in and was consuming it from the inside. It showed not one green leaf, surrounded by roots aiming to tackle anybody who threatened their master.

Willameens used some wizardry to calm the tree and keep it from attaching. Then the rest of us charged in to clear out the roots that were serving as its guards. With the guards cleared away, we tackled the tree.

I know it sounds like madness to say it put up a fight, but it is true. Yet, we were able to defeat it.

The tree was not the source of the corruption, only a symptom. With the tree gone, the corruption remained. I could trust that it was seeping into other trees - other life - creating new agents and turning them against all that is good and right in the world.

We got some hint as to where the true source of the corruption may lie. Near to the Old Forest is a place called the Barrow Downs - an ancient and haunted landscape that carries the memory of the evil that destroyed it.

There are others still patrolling the Old Forest, battling the corruption there.

I am tired. I promise to be of better cheer after a little rest. Or perhaps some of the corruption seeped into me as well - through the berries I picked, or the water I drank, or even the air I breathed.

I will make my plans after a bit of rest.

A hobbit named of Adso is building an inn between Bree and Buckland. I will likely visit him for a bit, and do some regular chores for a change. It might be nice to remember the simple life of a hobbit.

Alphred

On April 12, Club Eclair is increasing its level cap to Level 12 to help Adso. On April 22, the cap increases to 15 and we begin ouradventures in the Barrow Downs.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Aug 29 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Are new characters still welcome to join in on this? This sounds like something I would love to do. I've never really RPed in an MMO but im more than willing to give it a go - and I've always found adventuring and playing this game with other people is so much more rewarding than simply quest-kill-looting by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephyre View Post
    Are new characters still welcome to join in on this? This sounds like something I would love to do. I've never really RPed in an MMO but im more than willing to give it a go - and I've always found adventuring and playing this game with other people is so much more rewarding than simply quest-kill-looting by myself.
    New characters are more than welcome.

The more characters we have, the easier it is to find companions when one wants to adventure.

This will become particularly important when we explore the Barrow Downs. With a level cap of 15th level, adventuring in the Barrows without help will be . . . shall we say . . . excessively challenging.

We're not so far along (currently, 11th level) that it takes long to catch up.

You can find more about the the club in the first posts of this thread.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Apr 03 2013 at 07:47 PM.

For those who have been considering joining us in Club Éclair . . .

I have it on good authority that The XP Disabler is currently on sale for 50% off.

Club Éclair is a group for players who (1) do not want to out-level the content of a particular region, (2) like role-play adventure, and (3) want other players around at the same level to adventure with.

Our current level cap is 11 where we are exploring the Old Forest.

The group level cap is increasing to 12 on April 12 for Adso's Camp.

Then up to Level 15 on April 22nd, when we will begin adventuring in the North Bree-Fields and Barrow Downs.

The stories above give something of the flavor of our adventures.

You can find other Club Éclair members by joining the user channel 'club-eclair' in Landroval. Just type "/Joinchannel club-éclair"

((Club Eclair)) Hedgerow Shrewburrow - Report on an Old Forest Patrol

To: Bounder Chief Meadowlarke Sweetweed - Addernotch Station

It is my honour to report to you the events of yesterday's patrol of the Old Forest.

All totaled, there were nearly a dozen hobbits and friends of the Shire who went on the forest. Some of them left the patrol part way through. Others joined the patrol before the end.

I had Chief Cartographer Wrennsong Sweetweed send me a copy of the map his brother Ayrhawk Sweetweed would use when conducting his Old Forest Nature Walks. It shows the location of all eight of the Ent flowers and the path he uses to find them.

Along the way, we took up the challenge of pruning back any of the corrupt trees we found along the way to give the healthier parts of the forest room to grow.

And we went into the deepest dark of the Old Forest to battle the corruption that has grown there, that Alphred has already reported on.

Needless to say, it was a long patrol that lasted us from dawn to dawn.

The corruption seemed to have guessed our intent because it turned against us with a viciousness. At one point, we were battling three of them corrupt trees at once - and maybe four. With branches swaying wildly and roots coming up out of the ground at us it was hard to say what was happening.

Still, we prevailed without a loss and the corruption of the forest must be a little weaker by our efforts.

I would like to take this opportunity to report on some of the people who were with us on this trip.

One person to note of is Willameena. She travels about with a bird of hers that she talks to and that talks back to her and obeys her instructions. I've known people to train dogs before, but not birds.

Anyways, there's this circle of white rocks around a bare patch of ground near Buckland's gate into the Old Forest. We were making an agreement that if things went bad for us and we found ourselves split up we would - those who could - retreat out of the forest and meet up again at this circle of white rocks, so as we knew how to find each other.

She was talking about the runes on the rocks providing these lines of power that aided in navigation and travel and the like. It was quite odd but, I figure, iffen they aid in navigation then maybe they'd help an unfortunate member of our group out of the forest and into safety if misfortune struck while in the woods.

I can also tell that Willameena is eager to lead a squad in a successful battle. She speaks of putting together a battle strategy and seems to be full of ideas on how to combat the corruption with an eye to our greater safety. Since I am no good at doing anything more than offering words of encouragement to them who battle, it'd be good to have her directing the squad on future patrols.

If we were to confront a particularly menacing and vile creature, I would hope to have her there to set out a plan of battle for us.

We two people who were on their first patrol with us today.

One is a hobbit with the name of Freckless. She seemed a bit nervous, this being her first patrol and all. In fact, it seemed she'd not been away from home much, though she handled herself well amongs the dangers the forest threw at us.

The other is a woman with the name Roselebur. She seems quite fearless. Not in the sense of charging recklessly into battles, but the forest seemed not to unnerve her at all. The bats and trees and spiders had me all on edge and jittery - but not her. But I grew up in the city and was a clerk for the Mayor. She reported that she grew up hunting with her father, and patrolling the forest in search of prey was familiar to her.

She was the one who delivered the fatal blow to the most corrupted tree in the forest, which we found in the darkest depths.

But the battling seemed to have worn her out a bit. By night time, she was mentioning the tavern and ale that lay just beyond our escape from the forest. Indeed, when we were finally able to leave - and get to Stock - she promptly changed. On leaving the forest after a full day and a full night of patrol she kissed the ground of Buckland.

Rosyl is an energetic hobbit seems prone to rushing too and fro. I'm fearful that she'll rush off into trouble either for herself or for the rest of us. There was once, in the deepest dark of the old forest, were we stopped to take count and notice we had lost her. It was a maze of webs and trees where even you could fit between the trees - which you could not always - the spider webs would block your way.

We stood there, shouting for her, sending searchers one way or another as far as was safe - shouting for her though always mindful that the forest was listening - until she found her way back to us.

Andrig - a dwarf who I have ventured with more than a few times - doesn't move near so fast. Still, he is prone to put his head down and start marching as if daring the forest to try to stop him or even slow him down. We'd be attacked by a spider, or stop to look at the map and judge the best route, and he'd be walking till he discovered he was alone and have to come back.

He's a sturdy sort though and just the type one would want in front breaking the trail.

Cindersoot and Catfilch caught up with us. However, my mind was so caught up with trying to keep the squad of 10 or so patrollers in some sense of order I forgot to ask Catfilch how he was. He's been laid up with a goblin wound for near to a month and it was his first day back on a patrol. I hope he doesn't come to think that I've got no concerns for his well-being. I must remedy this the next time I see him.

The two bowhobbits, Pintail and Liatri, were both there. They've proved reliable members of any patrol and their arrows proved capable of penetrating even the thickest bark.

Wilbus showed up for a bit, as did Trefoil. Liatri actually joined us late - at Tom Bombadil's place - which is where we left Willameena. But she's safe.

Anyways, the talk now is of finding the source of the corruptions in the Barrow Downs. If it is seeping into the Old Forest from there, then anything we do in the Old Forest is like holding back the wind. We have to find its source.

I'll report more after some rest. I am still plucking spider webbings off of all of my clothes - including my nice Bounder hat which is getting more and more worn with each patrol.

Bounder Recruit Hedgerow Shrewburrow

Club Éclair is a group whose members are using the XP disabler to level at the same rate and to engage in roleplay-adventures where the landscape is actually has a bit of a challenging. On April 12, we are increasing the level cap to 12 to help Adso build his inn. On April 22, the level cap becomes 15 for adventuring in the northern Bree-fields to break up the alliance between Sharkey and the orcs, and to patrol the Barrow Downs to find the source of the local corruptions. If you like role-play adventures and are looking for challenge in the company of others with the same disposition, you are free to join us. See the first post in this thread for details.

OOC: I sent you a message before I saw the post about still accepting new characters. I would love to be a part of this as well at some point. The character I want to play is currently level 18, but I am more than happy to wait a bit while the level cap increases. If nothing else, I will see you all in channel soon!

((Club Eclair)) Update 3 - April 22 - Level 15

Coming, April 22 - Expansion 3

Prevent the Brigand/Orc alliance in the North Bree-Fields.
    Seek the sources of corruption in the Barrow Downs

New Features:

Level Cap increased to 15
    Become "Best In Class" with a Level 15 class quest.
    Discover gold with Tier 3 crafting
    Improve your reputation and become kindred with the&people of Bree
    Rescue Lalia from the Last Prince of Cordolan.

Gather your friends and explore nine elite and dangerous crypts. Prepare to battle the six most vile and corrupted minions of evil yet encountered and earn for yourself and your allies the title, "Executioner of the Wicked."

Update 3 opens up two new areas for adventure. The Northern Bree Fields where Sharkey's brigands are forming an alliance with the stranded half orcs of the north to fight for control of the lands and their inhabitants. And the Barrow Downs, the haunted ruins of the ancient region of Cordolan whose residents have become twisted and evil.&
    Last edited by Tiempko; Apr 10 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    Coming, April 22 - Expansion 3
    New Features:

Level Cap increased to 15
    Become "Best In Class" with a Level 15 class quest.
    Discover gold with Tier 3 crafting
    Improve your reputation and become kindred with the&people of Bree
    Rescue Lalia from the Last Prince of Cordolan.

Gather your friends and explore nine elite and dangerous crypts. Prepare to battle the six most vile and corrupted minions of evil yet encountered and earn for yourself and your allies the title, "Executioner of the Wicked."

Update 3 opens up two new areas for adventure. The Northern Bree Fields where Sharkey's brigands are forming an alliance with the stranded half orcs of the north to fight for control of the lands and their inhabitants. And the Barrow Downs, the haunted ruins of the ancient region of Cordolan whose residents have become twisted and evil.&
    Add to this, a lvl 13 racial trait, and acces to the housing system. (a place for our self crafted/gathered items!)

((Club Eclair)) Alphred - A Letter Home - Adso's Camp

Father,

I am writing to let you know that I have moved to a camp between Bree and The Shire run by the hobbit Adso's Haybank. He's building an inn and tavern along the road for travelers between Bree and The Shire.

I know that there are those who would be opposed to the idea. After all, the last thing the Shire needs is more Bree folk hanging about. However, Bree offers a good market for pipeweed and dried fish and produce and chickens. there's a lot of people living there and they need to be fed.

And we have kin folk there. By that I mean there are hobbits who have to be related to&us. this was the home of Marco and Blanco and all of the hobbits who came with them as I recall. They seem to get along with the Bree folk well enough.

So, seeing to safe travel between The Shire and Bree seems a good idea. That means securing it from Sharkey's brigands.

I just recently learned that Adso's has been making payments to the brigands. Good folk's labors being harvested by them filled with villainy and malice - and on the very Bounds of the Shire. I mean to tell Adso that I will put a stop to this and I will summon what help I can from the Bounders and Eclairians.

I am hoping it would not take more than a week to convince the brigands to do end their evil ways.

There's no post at Adso's camp, but travellers who may carry a letter for me. I have done many such favors for others. I should get one in return.

Anyways, I will write again when I am settled.

Hug the girls for me.

Alphred Troute

((Club Eclair)) Alphred Troute - A Letter Home: Trouble at Adso's Camp

Father

I said I would write from Adso's Camp. But things got busy and this letter is delayed a bit.

The Brigands what have been bothering Adso are of a sturdier breed than any I have met elsewhere. They're working under a local leader named of Dirk Hawthorne.

One of my tasks was to go find this Mr. Hawthorne and convince him to quit causing troubles. He's camped with some of his henchbrigands at some ruins near here.

He's got a most dangerous setup out there. There's brigands on patrol what you can't easily tell where they will be and when - and he's got a few near him at all times. Sometimes more than a few.

Twice, I accosted him and sought to demand his surrender to authorities. I was expecting he'd get violent rather than surrender his freedom to a mere hobbit, so I was ready for a fight. I've gotten pretty good at fighting since I left home - having much more practice than I care to admit.

Still, he and his henchbrigands proved too much for me. Even when I thought I had command of the situation, some more henchbrigands would charge into the camp and overwhelm me. They drove me out of the ruins and I didn't stop running till I was near to Bree.

I tried again - to the same end, as it turned out.

Hedgerow tried with Andrig and Wilbus and they got driven out, too - though Andrig reported whalluping Dirk quite proper 'fore the henchbrigands overwhelmed him.

Eventually, though, we defeated him squarely.

In the mean time, others are still patrolling inside the Old Forest. Hedgerow has been there with a new hobbit named of Podie and a dwarf named of Domnem. Willameena has been around as well, being useful. And Liatri was about helping us with the brigands and hunting bears for skins that Adso's workers to use at night to keep warm.

I'm hoping that this will be the end of the troubles for Adso and he can go about his constructions.

Our work at Adso's seems to have drawn us some attention.

Just as we were finishing up the duties there, I got a letter from a Ranger named Saeradan who owns a cabin on the Greenway north of Bree. He asked for our help. Figuring that he might be dealing with the same brigands and orcs as Constable Grimbriar I opted to pay him a visit. However, he's told me that I should spend a few days on practices and drills before he sends me out to do any real work.

I'm thinking that on Monday he'll consider me fit to start on what missions he has planned for me. Hopefully, it will end the brigand problem once and for all and the Bree-land will be safe.

In the mean time, I still have work to do.

Give my love to the girls.

Alphred Troute.

Club Eclair will raise its level cap to 15 on Monday. This will open up adventures in the North Greenway and the Barrow Downs. Anybody who has a character up to 15th level interested in roleplay adventures is welcome to join us. We're expecting the Barrow Downs will be particularly challenging for Club Eclair members. Club Eclair uses the user chat channel "club-eclair" to communicate within the game. You can find us simply by joining the Club Éclair channel with '/joinchannel club-eclair'.

((Club Eclair)) Alphred Troute - A Letter Home: Trouble at Adso's Camp

Father

I said I would write from Adso's Camp. But things got busy and this letter is delayed a bit.

The Brigands what have been bothering Adso are of a sturdier breed than any I have met elsewhere. They're working under a local leader named of Dirk Hawthorne.

One of my tasks was to go find this Mr. Hawthorne and convince him to quit causing troubles. He's camped with some of his henchbrigands at some ruins near here.

He's got a most dangerous setup out there. There's brigands on patrol what you can't easily tell where they will be and when - and he's got a few near him at all times. Sometimes more than a few.

Twice, I accosted him and sought to demand his surrender to authorities. I was expecting he'd get violent rather than surrender his freedom to a mere hobbit, so I was ready for a fight. I've gotten pretty good at fighting since I left home - having much more practice than I care to admit.

Still, he and his henchbrigands proved too much for me. Even when I thought I had command of the situation, some more henchbrigands would charge into the camp and overwhelm me. They drove me out of the ruins and I didn't stop running till I was near to Bree.

I tried again - to the same end, as it turned out.

Hedgerow tried with Andrig and Wilbus and they got driven out, too - though Andrig reported whalluping Dirk quite proper 'fore the henchbrigands overwhelmed him.

Eventually, though, we defeated him squarely.

In the mean time, others are still patrolling inside the Old Forest. Hedgerow has been there with a new hobbit named of Podie and a dwarf named of Domnem. Willameena has been around as well, being useful. And Liatri was about helping us with the brigands and hunting bears for skins that Adso's workers to use at night to keep warm.

I'm hoping that this will be the end of the troubles for Adso and he can go about his constructions.

Our work at Adso's seems to have drawn us some attention.

Just as we were finishing up the duties there, I got a letter from a Ranger named Saeradan who owns a cabin on the Greenway north of Bree. He asked for our help. Figuring that he might be dealing with the same brigands and orcs as Constable Grimbriar I opted to pay him a visit. However, he's told me that I should spend a few days on practices and drills before he sends me out to do any real work.

I'm thinking that on Monday he'll consider me fit to start on what missions he has planned for me. Hopefully, it will end the brigand problem once and for all and the Bree-land will be safe.

In the mean time, I still have work to do.

Give my love to the girls.

Alphred Troute.

Club Eclair will raise its level cap to 15 on Monday. This will open up adventures in the North Greenway and the Barrow Downs. Anybody who has a character up to 15th level interested in roleplay adventures is welcome to join us. We're expecting the Barrow Downs will be particularly challenging for Club Eclair members. Club Eclair uses the user chat channel "club-eclair" to communicate within the game. You can find us simply by joining the Club Éclair channel with '/joinchannel club-eclair'.

((Club Eclair)) Alphred Troute - A Letter Home - Defending Bree

Father

I had a busy day today.

This morning, during First Breakfast, Saeradan said it was time for me to be earning my keep. He directed me to a farm across the Greenway and said that I should look in on the residents.

I was told that Mr. Thornley had left with sword in and to deal with marauders from the north. I gave some considered thought to looking for him, but my hobbit sense said Mr. Thornley was a fool to confront marauders alone and I would be a fool to do the same. I resolved to find Liatri or Domnem or Cindersoot and Catfilch to go with me.

Meanwhile, I helped around the farm as I could. The animal life was encroaching on the fields. Seems the family was wanting to bring in horses but was afraid to do so with so many wild beasts about.

So I spent the day patrolling the perimeter, driving away the bears and the wolfs. I found that the wolfs have a den not far from the farm. I made a note to invite Liatri and others on a wolf hunt to clear out the den. But I did my duty to frighten away those who had wandered off in the direction of Thornley's farm.

It was a full day's work. As evening came, I reported back to Saeradan saying that my intent was to find other Eclairians and organize a patrol up north.

One thing about this work is that one seldom gets to rest when one wishes to. Once I returned to Bree, I got word that Daisy Appledore at the Town Jail wanted to speak with me. She, in turn, directed me to Andrew Oakhurst of the Bree Town Guard. And he spoke of a brigand incursion from the South and the need to form a line against them.

Though exhausted and much in need of sleep, I hopped into his wagon and, with a dozen other defenders - of which I was the smallest, but nobody spoke a word against me. I was paired up with Toby Thorndyke near the center of the line where our job was to ensure that no brigands got through.

We took our places in the line and, as wave upon wave of brigands attacked, the line held. Mr. Thorndyke and I worked well together. I made sure that he was not overwhelmed by the enemy, drawing villains to myself where needed. Eventually, the brigands became aware of the fact that our line would not break and retreated to the south.

Back at town, I was ready for some rest, but I did not return to the pony. I heard of a hunter's lodge in the south end of town where the heroes of Bree would gather. I was told they would welcome me, since I was recognized as a hero of Bree.

Here at the Lodge, I find that the talk is largely about the Barrow Downs - an ancient city filled with treasures - and cursed. I said what I knew of a corruption there and entering the Old Forest. Some scoffed. Others took it seriously. I entertained them with my stories - which, I admit, I embellished a little. They seemed entertained.

It's dawn again, but I am long past due for some sleep. I will get this in the post, then find a corner for a bedroll. Then, I will be looking for some other Eclairians to join me on a patrol of the Greenway north of Thornley's farm.

I am also thinking of visiting the pony ranch up there.

Can you imagine me with my very own pony?

Tell the girls I will let them ride her.

Alphred Troute

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast