We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    To Bounder Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Chief
    Bounders of the Shire
    Addernotch Station

Sir

I am writing to report of the battles near Needlehole.

First, though, let me report that if you know of anybody who would like to join us in these missions, there is room for more.

It was discovered that some dwarfs near here were capturing and caging trolls to ship north for some villainous end. Ulfar, a local Dwarf leader, asked for help in raiding the camps and slaying the captured trolls.

For the last few days we have been learning the location of these camps. When we found one we sent in a team of three soldiers with a Dwarf scout (who does not participate in the fighting).

Given the fact we are near to new recruits going against veteran dwarfs and a troll, we were more than a little worried about the outcome. I was scared - I admit. My team included Pintail, who is quite good with a bow, and Hallfred, who is poor in combat but good at keeping us focused on our goal and fighting when we otherwise would have fled.

It's odd, I scarcely remember the details of the battle. I remember Pintail setting traps, and me setting up between the enemy and him. I remember Hallfred's encouraging words, particularly as I started to panic against the enemy's blows. Of course, I remember how it ended - &the troll was slewn.

Four other teams have gone out to different camps. We were successful in every case, losing only one soldier. The minstrel Hedgerow. He was overwhelmed by dwarfs in the last fight, but the others of his team carried through to victory. The Dwarfs are tending to his wounds.

We will continue to battle as we find more camps.

Alphred Troute, Bounder
    Last edited by Tiempko; Dec 25 2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

To Bounder Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Chief
    Bounders of the Shire
    Addernotch Station

Sir:

I am filing this report for Hedgerow Shrewburrow, who gave it to me wanting the Bounders to be warned of malicious and dangerous animals and brigands within the Shire. The words are his.

Chief Meadowlarke

I am Hedgerow Shrewburrow, a former clerk of Town Hole whose position has afforded me the opportunity to learn of many matters of distress about the Shire, which I have taken upon myself to concern myself with.

Esilia Took reported as missing her cousin Gerrbert, who was due for dinner and never showed up - a proper ground for suspecting he had met an unfortunate fate.

In conducting this investigation, I summoned and obtained the help of Bounder Pintail, a huntress Liatri, and the dwarf Hroik - who we call Roy - who is from Needlehole and who helped us concerning the trolls.

Naturally, we began our investigation at Gerebert's residence. When he did not answer the door, we entered. We found the house unkempt and riddled with vermin - clearly having not been occupied in some time. I let the others deal with the rodents while I sought out clues as to Gerebert's disappearance.

I found a journal that contained a record of a dare between Gerebert and another cousin named Pippin concerning stowing away in a leaf wagon. We could not locate Pippin for questioning, so instead sought to follow the trail of the leaf wagons that Gerebert might have stolen away on.

We questioned a leaf farmer named of Longo Burrow, who would only tell us what he knew of the leaf shipments if we retrieved a barrel of pipeweed he had stashed away in a cave south of town now occupied by bears. I reprimanded him for seeking to benefit from the misfortune of another hobbit, but he insisted on the trade - at no small danger to ourselves, please understand, as these bears were not in the least bit docile. Liatri, being a huntress, and Roy, being a wizard of sorts, dealt with the creatures. I dare say I am not well suited for such tasks.

Having carried out our end of the bargain we sought answers from Longo Burrow - who informed us that everything he knew was absolutely nothing. He had no useful information at all.

I shall mention here that I have written separately to the Mayor's office suggesting that Mr. Burrows' estate be audited for signs of tax avoidance.

Be that as it may, we went next to Woodhall - the first stop for shipments heading east - to see if they had any useful information.

On the way, we spoke with a beekeeper working near the road to ask if he knew anything of the shipments. This particular beekeeper was fortunate we had showed up when we did as a herd of honey bears showed up at that instant determined to tear apart the hives. We sent the wild bears back into the woods, but learned nothing of value about the pipeweed shipments.

In Woodhall, Rollo Boffin reported no sign of Gerebert Took, but also that a shipment he had been expecting had gone missing. He sent us back to the road, this time not only to look for signs of a missing hobbit but signs of a missing wagon.

Roy found the wagon hidden behind some bushes near Old Odo's Leaf Farm. Signs about the wagon suggest that its contents - potentially including Gerebert Took - were hauled to the farm.

I know from the records at town hall that the farm has not done well since Old Odo died, and I was wondering if those working the farm had taken up theft and hobbitnapping to make up for the losses they have suffered in pipeweed.

Unfortunately, we discovered that we must wait for permission to enter the farm and continue our investigations. It may take a few days for the Mayor's Office to send us the authorizations we need. When we get it, I intend to go to Old Odo's farm and find out for myself what is going on there.

Until then, I am most humbly at your service,

Hedgerow Shrewburrow

Forwarded to Chief Meadowlarke by Alphred Troute

((If you like role-playing adventures and are not interested in reaching level 85 to have people at the same level, you are invited to join us. Club Eclair uses the new XP Disabler to establish its own level cap. As we adventure, we can appeal to the club for others at the same level to adventure with. When we have done all we want to do at a level, we will raise the cap and open up a new region to explore.

Since we just started, our current level cap is Level 6.

We use the user channel "Club-Eclair" for communication in the game. Access the channel by typing "/joinchannel club-eclair" ))
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

I am very interested in joining your merry band. I'm a LOTRO newcomer and this sounds like it is EXACTLY the way I want to experience the world.

My current character is a level Woman 11 Lore-Master - but I will roll myself a new character to get to 6 and join you. Perhaps you have need of a burglar? Speak to you in-game very soon.

Hi, i have been reading the forums over the xmas break and stumbled upon this thread. I think that this is a great idea you have come up with here.

I've been been playing lotro since 2007 and really look forward to reliving the old content in a new way.

I hope to join up once i return from xmas priorities, and wanted to know if the group was in need of any classes or vocations to make adventuring that much better. I am fairly flexible in what i role play.

I was thinking about an elf lore master historian(seems lore appropriate) but group need would be prioritized. Not sure on a character name, but i will pop into the channel and introduce him.

Look forward to joining up.

Quote Originally Posted by shane54 View Post
    I was thinking about an elf lore master historian(seems lore appropriate) but group need would be prioritized. Not sure on a character name, but i will pop into the channel and introduce him.
    Hullo and welcome.

As of this writing, we have no elfs. We have no lore-masters. Lots of hobbits. A smattering of men and dwarfs.

New to Club Eclair... not new to eclairs!!! mmm :)

I'm a newcomer to LOTRO, and was feeling a bit lonely at the lower levels until I found Club Eclair. It is already an active, vibrant club with great leadership and lots of light-hearted, fun role playing. I have found it quite exciting to do quests that are all orange or red, and as Tiempko said somewhere above, many of those are still soloable if you've got the gumption. But the fact that there is always a group for the harder stuff, that is the best!!! I can take my time reading the quests and immersing myself in the world of Tolkien. Completing a quest chain is a major accomplishment instead of a boring grind. The loot I get from quests actually makes a difference at level 6, instead of being trash. Everything is just way more fun and exciting.

I'm really, really enjoying this! Thanks for starting this great Club!

---Shadegrown
    Burglar of Brockenborings

Club Eclair - Update 1 - January 14

Club Eclair - Update 1 - January 14

There were places at the Bounds where even Bounders feared to tread. Update 1 opens the whole of the Shire to Club Eclair.

Level Cap Increase to Level 8 on January 14 (currently level 6)

New Group Content
    &- The Brigands at Narrowcleave
    &- The Rescue of Gerebert Took
    &- The Warg at Budgeford
    &- The Spiders in the Quarry
    &- The Goblins of the Greenfields

New Game Features
    &- Crafted Armor, Weapons, Jewelry
    &- Slot your First Virtue at the Bard in Michel Delving.

Note: Some Eclairians have found it satisfying that quest rewards are actually useful and are making a personal decision to limit their characters to found and rewarded armor, weapons, and jewelry. Club Eclair has no formal rule regarding what a character can wear or use, but I thought I would mention this as an option.

Club Eclair is an adventure role-playing club for those who enjoy challenging role-play walk-and-talk adventure. We use the XP Disabler to establish a group level cap and adventure where the quests are chalenging and nothing is more valuable than a friend at your side. To join or monitor Club Eclair in-game, type "/joinchannel club-eclair"
    Last edited by Tiempko; Dec 31 2012 at 11:54 AM.

This sounds fantastic! It's exactly what I'm looking for after 4 years of playing the "usual" way. I've always wanted to try RP, but not really sure how to do it. I'm sure I'll learn as we go along though. I'll probably roll a Guardian up; it didn't sound like you had many of them. Hope to see you all in game tonight!
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Mine if I join sometime? I'm returning from two years of being away from the game and I want to join a roleplaying group. Club Eclair sounds like a fun idea. What days/hours are members usually online?
    [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=yellowgreen][/COLOR][/FONT][URL="http://thegreencompany.guildportal.com"][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=yellowgreen][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Sewulf View Post
    Mine if I join sometime? I'm returning from two years of being away from the game and I want to join a roleplaying group. Club Eclair sounds like a fun idea. What days/hours are members usually online?
    If you enjoy challenging roleplay adventure in a group, without the pain of getting to Level 85 and without doing the same content over and over again for a year, please join us. The more, the better.

We've been holding at Level 6 to give time for word to spread and get more people. But this will be the last weekend at Level 6.

Monday, the cap goes up to 8.

I am looking forward to a couple of adventures in the Quary as a trio of Level 8 characters try and collect the goblin head.

(We have had adventures with three Level 6 characters attempting to kill a spider queen in the Quary - which isn't a quest but a mission we invented for ourselves. We succeeded, but the agro range of Level 6 characters among Level 11 and 12 mobs meant we got overrun by her brood.)

And we will need to rescue Gerebert Took from the bandits at Old Odo's Leaf Farm.

And there's the warg hunt in Budgeford. (I think I want to try warg hunting this weekend at Level 6, just to see how it goes.)

I am expecting it may take a full fellowship to rescue a sheep or search for Prunela among the goblins - with its elite goblins.

So, more people is definitely better.

But its roleplaying walk-and-talk adventures. It's a story of regular folk mustering the courage and gathering a few friends to take on the dangers threatening good peaceful people.

There is no requirement to start in the Shire, but most of us did - even the elfs and humans. Some did not. We will meet them in Bree some time in the future.

In fact, if there are those who want to join the club later in Bree, lock your level at Level 9 and we will mert you there in a few weeks.

And monitor the user channel club-eclair (/joinchannel club-eclair) to monitor our progress.

Oh, we tend to mostly be Americans with a presence on weekends and evenings. But I am very much interested in attracting a European and Pacific membership as well so that people might find companions at any time.

Invite your friends.

We've only just begun. Come join us.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jan 09 2013 at 09:21 AM.

New Level Cap

Monday, and the level cap for Club Eclair is going up to 8.

I have had a couple of people ask me - if one has already done all the quests and deeds one can do at Level 6 (the current cap), how does one get the next level?

Well, there's a lot of things one can do.

(1) Do not disable XP until you get to Level 6.7 to 6.8. That is to say, about 5 bubbles away from Level 7. That way, when the level cap goes up, you only need to gain a quarter of a level, rather than a whole level.

(2) Keep a couple of quests to turn in when Club Eclair raises the level cap. After the level cap goes up, remove the disabler, and turn in those quests you held in reserve.

(3) Crafting - particularly gardening - provides an easy way to gather some XP for the next level.

(4) Tasks. Keep an inventory of the various items one picks up along the way that one can turn in to complete tasks.

(5) Repeatable quests. In many regions there are some repeatable quests available other than tasks - like those offered at the Hunter's Lodge in Bree for when Club Clair is working out of there.

(6) Skirmishes - starting at 20th level. Club Eclair members can get together to run a skirmish or two.

(7) A roleplay adventure of our own making. Club Eclair has already done a few of these. We went hunting a queen in the quary at Scary, and seeing if we could explore to the deepest part of the Quary. We scouted the goblin camps and mapped the brigand camp. There may not be a quest to turn in at the end, but one does earn a few XP along the way and have an adventure at the same time.

By the way, new members will always be welcome to Club Ecliar. The fact that we're raising our level cap does not mean we are now closed to new members. Not at all.

Club Eclair - Level Cap Now 8

((OOC: Club Eclair increases its level cap to 8 today, Monday January 14.))

Father

I have been gone for near to a month now.

Things have not gone near as I had expected they would. While I had expected to get a simple job and live a simple life in Michel Delving, I've now travelled much in the Shire and seen sights befitting of imagined stories.

I am sending you and the girls 400 silver - half of everything I have made.

You'll find a note enclosed in this letter. Give it to Postman Newbuck and he'll give you the 400 in silver that I have given the postman here in Hobbiton.

Oh, yes. I am in Hobbiton now. I have done a lot of travelling since I left home. I don't want to frighten you or the girls, but you should know that there's trouble stirring. There's a darkness.

Wolfs have come down out of the hills and driven good Shire-folk from their farms. Evil dwarfs are trying to capture stone trolls for some form of villainy. There's goblins in the woods around Brockenborings and Overhill, and spiders larger than me.

All of these, I have seen.

I joined up with the Bounders, father. When I so so many Shire-folk in need of aid I joined up with those who seemed most intent on aiding them. They've been sending me about looking into some of the menacings that have been reported.

Like - Gerebert Took has gone missing. He was last seen sneaking a ride in a leaf wagon, but he's never returned. We found the wagon - we think it is a wagon - near an old leaf farm the Brigands have turned into a bandit camp.

And we think the brigands might have hobbitnapped a member of the Vigalence Committee out of Stock.

I was thinking that I could leave others to these troubles. But then I got to thinking of the lessons you taught me, father. Whenever I would want to put off my chores you would ask, "And who do you think you to put off on others what you can well be doing yourself? Them others have things they'd rather be doing, too. Do your share, lad. Be fair about it."

Well, I want to do my share for the Shire.

Come Monday, I'm going to go see Rob Hemming. He trained me to use my fishing spear as a weapon. Mr. Sweetweed, the hobbit I work for, send me to him.

I don't recall if I told this story before, but I showed up as Mr. Sweetweed asked me to. He saw my fishing spear and so he asked, "Let's see how good you are with that."

Well, I hefted the spear at one of the training dummies he had standing about and hit it square on the chest. The next thing I knew, Mr. Hemming had a dagger poking straight into my ribs such that I feared if I even took in a breath it would skewer me. He said to me, "Now that you've thrown away your weapon, what are you going to do?"

Well, then, he commenced to teach me some fighting moves that I've put to good use in my weeks as a Bounder. But, there's dangers out there that . . . well, I can see the worth of getting some additional training if I am going to survive them.

I'll be keeping the Shire safe, father. It's important.

I'll write in a bit. The sun is nearly up. I want to get this into the post and see Mr. Hemming at first light.

Take care.

Alphred

P.S. It would do no harm to take some of this money and make sure that the girls learn a little about defending themselves. I don't mean to frighten you, but it might be a good idea.

This idea is marvelous and I would be delighted to join with you at once!

(( As a recurring player I have a habit of not making any long-lasting bonds within the game. For most, I am slow. Way too slow, I should really move them feet faster! If a break in playing happen, all the company I managed to obtain moves forward, which is understandable, but still unsettling.
    On the other hand, the increased levelling pace made it nearly impossible to befriend folks and go adventuring with them. I remember the horrors of scouting the Great Barrow (when it was not divided into separate parts), the pain and beauty of the story of the Red Maid, the vastness of Fornost which might demand several weeks to explore from the most seasoned traveler, the lengthening shadows, the dangerous foes and the chilling nights.
    Now, whilst the joy of simple adventuring seemed to become omitted, it was great news to learn about the Club!

I'm looking forward to join you when the level cap will become acceptable for any of my characters :P I'm quite pleased with them a bit empty on ideas, so it may take a while before I do anything new.
    Provided there will be company for a European player. ))

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrage View Post
    I'm looking forward to join you when the level cap will become acceptable for any of my characters :P I'm quite pleased with them a bit empty on ideas, so it may take a while before I do anything new.
    Provided there will be company for a European player.
    We have a couple of European players already, and some American players who can be found earlier in the day on American time - afternoon or evening in Europe.

As for me, living in the Western US, there is little I can do to organize events fitting European members, except on weekends. So, I would be pleased if somebody within these time zones would see fit to take a lead and organize missions earlier in the day than I would be able to attend - and to see about drawing a larger European audience. I would like that.

In addition: Please remember, more information can be found on the bulletin boards of the Bounders of the Shire. ((http://boundersoftheshire.guildportal.com))

((Club Eclair)) The Heroics of Pintail at Scary

((An adventure at 8th Level))

To Chief Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Addernoch Station

It is my honour to report to you on the heroics of young Bounder Pintail at Scary yesterday evening.

Mr. Wilcom Tunnally, who operates the quary, asked Pintail to enter the caves at the bottom of the quary and to discover what he could about the spider infestation that has driven all of his workers out of the area.

For some reason, Pintail asked me to come along. I do not know why - I am not much good at combat and can do little more than offer some encouraging words from time to time, and keep an eye out for signs of ambush. But I can understand how just having some company in such a place might be welcome.

We made our way to the heart of the query slowly, dealing with any spiders that got near us.

Inside, things were not so bad either. As we moved in, we came across a spider every so often, but not so much as we could not handle.

Then, we encountered a queen of the spiders. She was much larger than the rest - larger, even, then a hobbit. I found myself a safe corner to hide in while Pintail set about to do battle.

The next thing you knew we were surrounded by spiders! There must have been a half-dozen of them, and that is no exaggeration. Both Pintail and I were driven from her nest.

Well, not willing to give up on his duty, Pintail lead us back into the spider nest. we found the queen guarding a bend in the cave that we had no option but to take. So, once again I found a safe place to stand out of the way, and Pintail prepared for his rematch.

Again, we ended up being driven out of the cave. However, this time, before making the decision to flee for our lives, I noticed that Pintail had managed to slay the queen spider.

We went in a third time, and got past the bend with this fiendish spider, and down into the very end of the cave.

Pintail searched around a bit and seemed to find something of interest at least, so we turned to leave.

On the way back we discovered that another queen had already moved into the abandoned hunting grounds. This time, there was no turning back. She sat between us and the mouth of the cave.

If I made any small contribution to this fight, it is in the advice that I gave Pintail at this point to slay the smaller spiders first. It was my hope that we could eliminate them more quickly, and put the odds more rapidly in our favor.

Pintail baited one spider over and slew it. Then he set a trap for the queen - but aimed his shot at another of the smaller spiders nearby. The trap worked, and the queen was stuck fast. Meanwhile, Pintail had shot dead one of the smaller spiders, and the odds remained very much in our favor. After quickly slaying the other smaller spider, he turned his focus on the queen herself.

But the queen was not defenseless. She lifed her hind legs and rubbed them together. The next thing we knew, spiders from all around came rushing to her aid. Still, she was dead before they got there.

Two of the creatures had me backed into my corner, while Pintail busied himself with others. I kicked and swung and shouted at them to go away. I am afraid I am not meant for battle. When Pintail seemed near to exhaustion, I gave him what encouragement I could to keep him going.

He never gave up. He slew two of the spiders that the queen had summoned that were focused on him. Then he found me in my corner screaming and swinging blindly at the spiders that had me trapped and shot them dead.

From there on, it was a simple matter to leave the cave and the spiders behind.

I have no doubt that the tunnel connects to an underground nest that must truly be huge, and they are leaking out. Somebody - somebody braver than I am - should find the enterance to that vast set of caves and seal it up.

I don't know if Pintail found anything useful in his search. Still, I think a record of his bravery and skill needs to be made.

Which I honourably do in this report.

Bounder Hedgerow Shrewburrow

Club Eclair consists of a group of people using the XP Disabler to level at the same rate, and engage in roleplaying adventures like the one above as we go. Currently, we are adventuring at Level 8 and finishing up quests in the Shire. If you want to monitor our progress or join the adventure, you can do so by joining the Club-Eclair channel in the game.

/joinchannel club-eclair
    /leavechannel club-eclair to leave the channel.
    /listchannels to get a list of the channels you currently subscribe to.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Aug 29 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Club Eclair - Update 2 on February 4

Perhaps to save the Shire, one must leave the Shire.

On February 4, Club Eclair will introduce Update 2

New level cap = 9

2 new group missions:

(1) Rescuing sheep that have been sheepnapped by goblins before they become goblin mutton.
    (2) Discovering the fate of poor Prunella Boffin of Scary.

Then . . . heading off to Bree - renting out some nice hobbit-sized rooms in the Prancing Pony - and seeing what done to end this villainy at its source.

Then, on February 18th . . . Update 3. Level cap = 11.

Experience the Old Forest as few have experienced it before - as a place of danger and adventure.

((Club Eclair)) A Letter Home

Father

I will be leaving the Shire - me and some friends I have met.

We have reason to believe that whatever is stirring up the trouble at the Bounds has its origin out east.

We've met a Ranger who thinks that there's reason for us to go to Bree and report on the Shire events to his Captain - a man named strider. And there is Gerebert Took's tale of a robed figure out east named Sharkey with ill intentions towards the Shire.

We are not going to go right off. We've decided that we are going to work on our training a little, and then to spend a little time driving the goblins of the Greenfield back into their caves. That will earn the Shire a little bit of breathing space while my friends and I try to figure out what is going on.

I've met a lot of good people in the month since I left home. There's Hroik, the dwarf from Needlehole who helped us against the trollnappers. In the Bounders I have met Pintail and Liatra and Lilikate and Daffodilia and Cindersoot, and Catfitch. There's a bowhobbit named of Taterknot who'll be coming with me. And Pendinias and Bellerose.

And that's just them that I remember right off.

Anyways, there's quite a few of us who have been willing to answer this call to defend the Shire. I won't be travelling alone.

I'll try to get home before I head out. But you won't be able to talk me out of this, Father. There are some things a hobbit just has to do - and seeing to the Shire is one of them. It's not a job I could stand to throw onto somebody else's shoulders - expecting them to do what I would not.

For the next couple of weeks, you can write to me care of Bounder Primrose in Brockenborings. He runs the Bounder station up there. After that . . . well, I guess the best place to try would be the Prancing Pony in Bree.

I hope all is well.

Stay safe.

Bounder Alphred Troute.

Note: Club Eclair is a group of players who are levelling their characters together, so we always have people at the same level as ourselves to work with in the dangerous world that surrounds us.

On February 4th, we are raising our group level cap to 9. We will spend a couple of weeks finishing up quests and deeds - mostly in the Greenfields in the north of the Shire.

On Febriary 18th, we will be increasing the level cap to 11 and heading to Bree - to stay at the Prancing Pony.

If you like role-playing adventure and hold to the philosophy that the journey is more important than the destination, we'd be pleased to have you with us.

You can join us Club Eclair - or just monitor its progress - by joining the user channel Club-Eclair. (/Joinchannel club-eclair) We are not so far along that it would take long to catch up.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jan 31 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Your Club Eclaire is admired by many among my kin. We have started our own kingroup following your template. I didnt know this could be so much fun! How do you manage 10-15-20 participants all at once? Is the quest part important as much as the rp part for Club Eclaire?

With great respect, Tinki
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowbreeze View Post
    Your Club Eclaire is admired by many among my kin. We have started our own kingroup following your template. I didnt know this could be so much fun! How do you manage 10-15-20 participants all at once? Is the quest part important as much as the rp part for Club Eclaire?

With great respect, Tinki
    Good luck with your group.

I'd say that the quest is just a tool - something to build an adventure around. Sometimes we build our own quests. But there's things going on other than adventures. We're spending time, sitting in a tavern or around a fire, discussing our move to Bree from the Shire. Getting to know each other. The quests are a background - a part of the environnent where the story is built.

I would not try to manage several particpants all at once. They're too noisy, and nobody gets enough "screen time" as it were. I would split it up into different missions happening at the same time. A raid on the goblin camps in the Greenfields can be split into raids against both camps at the same time (2 groups). Or "You three go up the hill and see what's there. We'll go left and enter the cave." This way, everybody gets more screen time.

February 18th. We're gathering at Bree. Level cap = 11

On February 18th, Club Eclair is lifting its level cap to 11 and moving out of the introductory areas and into Bree.

For them who don't know, Club Eclair is a group of roleplay-adventurers who are levelling at the same pace so that we can form up together and go on roleplay adventures in the deep and dark places of the world.

Level 11 opens up the Southern Bree-fields and the Old Forest.

We'll be exploring the Old Forest like it hasn't been explored in a long time - as a place of darkness and danger - where it'd be good to have a friend at your side.

If you think you might like role-play adventuring with a group - discovering the secrets that are to be found deep in the Old Forest with a company of friends - consider meeting up with us at Bree.

((Note: There's two walks out of the Shire being planned for Monday, Feb. 18th. One in the early afternoon eastern time, and the other in the evening. In both cases, we'll be leaving Stock right after first breakfast.))

Hail to the Bounders!

Hail, Meadowlarke - and Bounders!

It's delightful to see this group doing what you're doing - and inspiring others to do so as well!

I have to say, the idea reminds me very much of something that has also been very successful with us in the Order for some time too. We started using characters from our sister kinship the Heren Ecthelion about a year ago to give us a regular, weekly, RP group that did IC questing and active Kinship-related lore-craft/composition. More recently, I started a weekly questing low-level Gondorian group, originally with the hope that we'd eventually have fully-developed characters by the time we got to Gondor (key to the Order's lore and backstory), and the group has become a super-fun weekly IC questing adventure that is looking forward to really developing the dynamics of the group as we go further. Both are designed to augment the Order's "lore-play", and it's been a blast so far!

At this point, I hope to see my Kinship continue grow around a love for adventures like these.

All the best in your endeavors, and with all hopes that our quests find us at each-other's side once more, and soon,
    ~Casandir
    [B] Casandir - Lore-master
    Leader of Order of the Tower Guard[URL="http://www.oottg.com"]
    OOTTG.com[/URL]
    [/B][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
    [/FONT][/B]

Casandir

Thank you.

I've always much preferred in-character questing to "shoot, loot, and scoot". And I do like how it helps to develope the characters' personalities. We've actually ended up doing more non-questing roleplaying than I expected . . . sitting at a tavern talking about our past exploits and what the future may hold.

The XP disabler is keeping us 5 levels below the quests we are doing - making them fit for 2 to 3 players at a time. Grouping does not allow us to overpower the quests. It allows us to complete the quests.

(I'm anticipating the quests into the deepest parts of the Old Forest at 11th level. And into the 10 barrows of the Barrow Downs - and in particular the five elite barrows - at 15th level.)

Now, Eclair doesn't have regular meeting times - like your group. Rather, Eclairians show up when they want and do what they want. The XP Disabler keeps everybody at the same level - so those who play more are still sitting at the same level as those who play less. Everybody has somebody of the same level in easy reach they can adventure with.

I am trying to build up the European contingent so them who are from Europe have more people around near the same level and in easy reach.

Smile

This is a brilliant idea!

I've been RPing in one form or another since the early 70s, basic D&D anyone? I'm rolling up a new Hobbit and joining Landroval... see you guys in game... if you have space for one more that is?!
    Last edited by Druzhina; Feb 11 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Druzhina View Post
    This is a brilliant idea!

I've been RPing in one form or another since the early 70s, basic D&D anyone? I'm rolling up a new Hobbit and joining Landroval... see you guys in game... if you have space for one more that is?!
    Welcome

Given the nature of the club, we will always have space. The more members there are, the moe likely any one person will have others to adventure with. So, I am looking to form a larger group across multiple time zones.

We do have a lot of hobbits - and hunters at that. Yet, I am a believer in Play what you want, we will work with it. This is a game, after all.

I've an idea for a Loremaster so I'll give it a whirl.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast