We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Your Awareness of your surroundings... icon

While testing today on Bullroarer and Live servers I noticed in Bree when logging to live an icon I have not seen since playing for some 3 months. The message appears to indicate it is used when server load is high for a particular location and I found some references while Googling but it was not especially busy and in a lot busier places it has not shown before. The icon and message was;

Is this something changed since maintenance, perhaps a lower threshold when this turns on or that it is now also effecting the Mac client? Or just normal even though Bree appears quiet (a few people moving around but remember this is live not test so not so many players in starter areas).
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

The icon and message have been around for years. It's just something that they do during extra heavy loads, so you wouldn't be likely to see it very often.

wow, I havnt seen that message pop up for a long time! It must have been a busy night on BR I used to see those on Windfola back in the day, but i cant recall seeing them on Crickhollow since I made the switch. Of course, Crick is a lower populated server too
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000069a14/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Crickhollow:
    *Ellannore - 75 Minstrel*.*Ellowin - 75 Hunter*.*Sneaker - 68 Burglar*
    *Adawinn - 75 Lore Master*.*Arrawin - 55 Captain*

Windfola:
    *Ellowin - 65 Hunter (retired)*.*Emmawin - 65 Minstrel (retired)*

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    The icon and message have been around for years. It's just something that they do during extra heavy loads, so you wouldn't be likely to see it very often.
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I did see references going back about the message. I was just surprised as Bree on live is not really a busy place these days and seemingly few players there when I was. Why I wondered if they have changed the trigger point to help server side issues perhaps, or enabled it for the Mac client. Not sure how the detail throttling works from server to client side.

One thing is noticeable apart from the really nice updates for Bree coming in U9, is that it will be a noticeable hit to FPS. Even with my higher end set up it drops almost to half. But again, is rather dependant on population. Still, lower end Macs or older systems I can se it being quite taxing, also depending on settings. Generally outside Rohan things are a lot kinder to graphics using lower res graphics and graphics effects.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    Correct. It pops-up when the server population spikes. However, considering the way in which the game Servers are structured (being a "cloud" and all that) the "Server" involved is NOT one of the "named" World servers, like Bullroarer or Gladden, but rather the specific server which is running the code for that particular location where you are located at the time.

I believe that we have seen that particular pop-up much less in recent times because of the related pop-up about being in a separate "layer."

My guess is that with the Bree revamp, the "old server" (i.e. cluster of machines) which supported Bree, is no longer sufficient to the task, and needs to have additional hardware added to it.

This is something which should be /bugged when encountered on Bullroarer and NOT is a stress test. (During a stress test, Turbine turns on certain monitoring code that lets them see the actual load on individual servers allowing them to adjust things accordingly.) It's is kind of like a security guard in front of a wall of monitors.... no way can he watch all 20 at one time.

I would also post a comment in the Bree Re-vamp thread as Scarycrow (the responsible Developer) monitors that pretty closely.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Correct. It pops-up when the server population spikes. However, considering the way in which the game Servers are structured (being a "cloud" and all that) the "Server" involved is NOT one of the "named" World servers, like Bullroarer or Gladden, but rather the specific server which is running the code for that particular location where you are located at the time.

I believe that we have seen that particular pop-up much less in recent times because of the related pop-up about being in a separate "layer."

My guess is that with the Bree revamp, the "old server" (i.e. cluster of machines) which supported Bree, is no longer sufficient to the task, and needs to have additional hardware added to it.

This is something which should be /bugged when encountered on Bullroarer and NOT is a stress test. (During a stress test, Turbine turns on certain monitoring code that lets them see the actual load on individual servers allowing them to adjust things accordingly.) It's is kind of like a security guard in front of a wall of monitors.... no way can he watch all 20 at one time.

I would also post a comment in the Bree Re-vamp thread as Scarycrow (the responsible Developer) monitors that pretty closely.
    So you are saying that Bree runs on the same server cloud serving both Live and Bullroarer? That would explain the load message but I would have thought that they are separate for the different update code tags and content?

it just seemed weird for it to happen on live in Bree which is in no way busy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    One thing is noticeable apart from the really nice updates for Bree coming in U9, is that it will be a noticeable hit to FPS. Even with my higher end set up it drops almost to half. But again, is rather dependant on population. Still, lower end Macs or older systems I can se it being quite taxing, also depending on settings. Generally outside Rohan things are a lot kinder to graphics using lower res graphics and graphics effects.
    Hmm... I'm seeing a number of comments about lower FPS with the Mac Client lately from folks in my Kin.... guess I'll have to start paying attention to the FPS counter.

I would love to know the actual relationship between system specs and network connection with regard to FPS. I'm not convinced that System Specs have that much to do with it.

I know that turning off Post Processing effects especially gives about a 10FPS boost to performance.
    Player Mesh combining doesn't seem to effect FPS at all.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Hmm... I'm seeing a number of comments about lower FPS with the Mac Client lately from folks in my Kin.... guess I'll have to start paying attention to the FPS counter.

I would love to know the actual relationship between system specs and network connection with regard to FPS. I'm not convinced that System Specs have that much to do with it.

I know that turning off Post Processing effects especially gives about a 10FPS boost to performance.
    Player Mesh combining doesn't seem to effect FPS at all.
    Personally I have noticed little to no difference in FPS from live to Bullroarer U9 B3 in lower areas. Mainly because nothing seems to have altered in the client to effect it or the environment. None of the disabled graphics options or sliders are enabled, no more environmental additions except Bree and outside of instances. Unless there are server side changes which are impacting, though if I remember you did note it seemed a lot more stable in Rohan now.

The exception is Bree where they have done extensive remodelling (Scarycrow's work). This entails using higher res graphics, more effects (smoke, puddles on the road etc.) and especially for FPS, a lot more NPCs' and general 'life' in the place. All of which add to the graphics load, as it does in say Harwick.

Generally Bree looks better for it and feels like a real town with some hustle and bustle and the pretty rendering. Just that the flip side is a higher demand on graphics. Players will notice this more because the other areas in most of Middle-earth are still the lower res older environment until you enter Bree and the new stuff hits you.

For higher end set ups it's not really an issue but for older laptops etc. I suspect it may require turning down more settings if they are there for much time.

So this has nothing to do with my computer?
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan583 View Post
    So this has nothing to do with my computer?
    Apparently not. It is a server-side action.

It does effect the quality of what you see on screen because the server sends less data, as the text says, it reduces the draw distance of objects (how far you can see detail) But doesn't change anything client side on your computer.

From reading it is rare that it happens. Normally only when a place is really busy. I think mostly they use the 'layering' technology for places they know will be busy (Treasure Hunt for example) which is phasing. That separates players to a different instance of the same location/gird. So I guess why it is rare.