We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Checking dat files, again and again and again and again

So lotro has worked for 1-2 weeks so far, no troubles at all. But today maybe something goofed on Turbines end with the matinence? I'm assuming the game is back up, due to it being 1PM EST, so I launched it, it loads all 3 language files, and gets stuck on " Overall Checking dat files" it went fine with the previous "File" checking or something, but not with these dat files.

Also I should say I've left it there to check the dat files for 30-40 minutes so far.. It's stuck at what seems 75%ish through it too.

Please help me ._.

Edit: I've restarted lotro, restarted my computer a few times, let it work for an hour.. nothing. still getting stuck. Not sure what I should do.
    Last edited by Brulac; Dec 10 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    So lotro has worked for 1-2 weeks so far, no troubles at all. But today maybe something goofed on Turbines end with the matinence? I'm assuming the game is back up, due to it being 1PM EST, so I launched it, it loads all 3 language files, and gets stuck on " Overall Checking dat files" it went fine with the previous "File" checking or something, but not with these dat files.

Also I should say I've left it there to check the dat files for 30-40 minutes so far.. It's stuck at what seems 75%ish through it too.

Please help me ._.

Edit: I've restarted lotro, restarted my computer a few times, let it work for an hour.. nothing. still getting stuck. Not sure what I should do.
    You could try the fixes for the error issue here.

May be that the servers were not up as I think they were slow to come back up. They are now.

from what I can see there was no patching just a server maintenance as they stated.

Try that and see if it helps.

FIXED: I was apparently not an administrator on my computer. Changed that, restarted and what do you know, it worked. I believe that might be the main problem, perhaps if you're not an admin it won't let it read the dat files? Even if you're permitted to read & write

Quote Originally Posted by Brulac View Post
    FIXED: I was apparently not an administrator on my computer. Changed that, restarted and what do you know, it worked. I believe that might be the main problem, perhaps if you're not an admin it won't let it read the dat files? Even if you're permitted to read & write
    Correct. Not being Admin will cause issues when it tries to read/write to the LOTRO app, probably if it adds or replaces a file/s that are not set to read/write even if they were previously. Or the permissions just get corrupted.

Glad it is fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Correct. Not being Admin will cause issues when it tries to read/write to the LOTRO app, probably if it adds or replaces a file/s that are not set to read/write even if they were previously. Or the permissions just get corrupted.
    In Unix, and hence Mac OSX, DIRECTORY privileges are as, if not more, important than individual file privileges.

Why? you ask?

Because it depends on HOW a file is opened. If an existing file is "opened," it "should" be updated with no problem.
    However, if a file needs to be "created" one needs write permissions for the Directory!

I don't know definitely, but I believe that Turbine uses a "download then update" procedure. In that process, the updates are first downloaded to a "temp" file and then applied to the real file. One file which I know is occasionally created is a .jnl (journal) file for updates. I have seen them hanging around in the directory so I know they are created, I just don't know why or when. However, these .jnl files cannot be created if you do not have write permissions to the directory.

From the Terminal window, it is both easy to see directory permissions as well as to modify both directory and file permissions. From the Finder, there used to be an option in "get Info" -- apply these permissions to all enclosed files/folders. But from a quick look, that option is no longer on the Get Info window for a folder, so I don't know how to do it from the Finder anymore.

See the instructions over at lotro-wiki.com: Allowing multiple users on a single machine

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...single_machine
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 105
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 105
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 91

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    From the Finder, there used to be an option in "get Info" -- apply these permissions to all enclosed files/folders. But from a quick look, that option is no longer on the Get Info window for a folder, so I don't know how to do it from the Finder anymore.

See the instructions over at lotro-wiki.com: Allowing multiple users on a single machine

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...single_machine
    From the Finder window, Right click folder > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions (bottom drop down menu) Name/Privilege shown here (User = (Me)

To alter permissions for folder only (or file if Get Info on a file) just select choice from Privilege column Read & Write - Read Only - Write Only (drop box) - No Access.

To alter permissions for all enclosed files continue on;

Click lock and enter password (admin) for access > Click Gear wheel icon bottom > Drop down menu select Apply to enclosed items...

You require Admin privileges to alter permissions.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 11 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Angry

i'm having the same problem, and none of the solutions seem to work, and i'm on a mac if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kookyboy9 View Post
    i'm having the same problem, and none of the solutions seem to work, and i'm on a mac if it makes any difference.
    Please provide more information, including WHERE you are located and who your ISP is.

This problem seems to be communications related more than anything else.

Partial cast

Checking dat files............. it is stuck

I have been having a problem with the lord of the rings online. After my windows computer broke ( the computer that I was using to play lotro ), i downloaded it through steam on this macbook pro. At first the files seemed to be working fine, but then it got stuck at " Overall Checking dat files ". I left it there for about 2 hours, but it still did not work. I reloaded the Lotro Launcher, and it still doesn't work. I tried everything I read, such as turning off the firewall, changing the applications name, and simulating the terminal. The only thing I have not tried is the admin issue. I have checked and the user that I am currently using was not a admin. I am re-downloading lotro now and will add to thins when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by vShiftz View Post
    I have been having a problem with the lord of the rings online. After my windows computer broke ( the computer that I was using to play lotro ), i downloaded it through steam on this macbook pro. At first the files seemed to be working fine, but then it got stuck at " Overall Checking dat files ". I left it there for about 2 hours, but it still did not work. I reloaded the Lotro Launcher, and it still doesn't work. I tried everything I read, such as turning off the firewall, changing the applications name, and simulating the terminal. The only thing I have not tried is the admin issue. I have checked and the user that I am currently using was not a admin. I am re-downloading lotro now and will add to thins when it is done.
    This issue is usually a communications problem. It also has to do with your system and its disk-drives. The Client (launcher) is reading through the disk files on your computer and computing and comparing checksums and other details with certain parameters on the patch site.

One thing which has worked when this happens is to power-down everything -- your Mac and your Router. POWER DOWN, not reboot.
    This will force all of the assorted network information to be reset.

BTW: You don't mention what version of MacBook and OS you are running.

Partial cast

Yeah, the admin permission works. Thnx!