We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs up Hi everyone! *Waves*

Hey everyone! Im pretty new to Lotro, When I last played about 2 years ago I don't think I ended up playing the game for very long, I don't even think I got to level 10! xD I still have my account from 2 years ago but not my characters. (I didn't really mind much though since I did hardly anything with them!)
    I don't think I ever went on these forums last time I played so I don't think you would know me. xD
    I do remember quiet allot about the game though, 2 years ago I was a Female Hobbit Hunter I wanted to be a Female Elf Lore-master back then but I couldn't finish the tutorial! xD I think I got stuck at a cave part where I needed to heal sick Dwarfs...

Anyway, that was in the end of 2010 when I played playing Lotro as a hobbit hunter, now its the end of 2012! Lol...
    And I decided to try again at becoming a Female Elf Lore-Master I chose to be an Elf because they are one of my fave fantasy races... And I chose Lore-Master because I love animals and magic and I wanted pets to help me fight monsters and keep me company and stuff! Well I did finish the Elf tutorial and im quiet liking the game so far!

Things I LIKE about LOTRO:
    1: I just love how huge the world is!!
    2: I like that you can have animals to help you fight!
    3: I like that you can have horses to ride!
    4: I like how fast the game runs on my laptop!
    5: Again, I love how big the world is! xD

Things I DON'T like about LOTRO:
    1: The number one thing I don't like right now is that lots of tiles in-game are't showing up right... Some are see through and
    don't look like the tile they are meant to be, its really annoying, and it makes the game allot less enjoyable...
    2: Something I don't get is how to get a f2p player horse...

Well both the things I don't like about Lotro seem to be fixable... The thing I REALLY want to fix is the tiles... It makes me feel like not playing the game when there like that... (Well I haven't played for a little while now because of the tiles...)
    But other than that its a good game.

Something I don't think I have ever tried in game is crafting...
    Is it easy to craft? And where abouts can you start crafting?

(By the way the tile thing is pretty bad in west Bree... O.O)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisha777 View Post
    Hey everyone! Im pretty new to Lotro,
    Welcome aboard Lisha!

Things I DON'T like about LOTRO:
    1: The number one thing I don't like right now is that lots of tiles in-game are't showing up right... Some are see through and don't look like the tile they are meant to be, its really annoying, and it makes the game allot less enjoyable...
    Can't really tell if what you're calling the "tile thing" is what I think it is but if it is then it only happens for me during the first few seconds while a character is still loading into the game world or during rare times of really horrible connection to the server. Try setting your graphics at a lower render quality. Also within the preferences is a check-box to warn about poor server connection. Posting a screenshot would also help folks understand what you're experiencing.

1. Spend 195 TP in the store to get a riding skill.
    2. Either get a starter horse from Hengstacer Farm in Bree-land, earn kindred with a faction such as Men of Bree and get a better horse or earn one during a festival quest.

Something I don't think I have ever tried in game is crafting...
    Is it easy to craft? And where abouts can you start crafting?
    Go to a crafting hall (see the symbol on your map) and connect with the craft master. Look at all the material on the forums and the web describing the various professions before choosing. Some crafts are easy to level like cooking or harder like jeweler. Can't go wrong with explorer because even if you choose something else later you can sell metal, wood and leather on auction and make a bundle.

BTW - Lore-master is an awesome class! It's also arguably the hardest class to play and many play it after they get a strong handle on the game. Since F2P allows 2 character slots perhaps you might want to roll a Guard, Champ or Hunter in addition so if you get frustrated you can blow off steam busting orc heads.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Anavalar; Dec 10 2012 at 05:00 AM.

mount

get the samwise pack for 9.99.comes with horse and 2 extra char spots,plus upgrades u to premium

If your gonna go to the trouble of buying riding skill/mount DO NOT buy the one marked Bree starter mount. Complete waste,get one of the mount packs with the 100% mounts.(Bree starter is like 60% run,useless.)

First off - welcome to LOTRO

Secondly - I seen you complaining about the "tiles" in this and other threads and I just have to say I don't understand what you are referring to...

Here's what you do:

If you are on a windows PC, find an area that shows these tiles really well... push the Prt Scr button on your keyboard (this take a screenshot of what you are seeing) - open the "documents" folder in windows - then open the "Lord of the rings" folder in the documents folder - find the screenshot that shows the tiles - upload that to an image share website like imageshack.com and then use the "embed to forum" code from the options of the uploaded screenshot... and then post the code in this thread.

That will display a image of your screenshot so we can see your "invisible tiles" or what ever and then maybe we can help you resolve your issue...
    Take Care,
    D.
    [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?496094-The-Brief-Mr.-Bako-Bongo-In-Soup-Du-Jour."]My LOTRO Comics and Fan-Fiction[/URL]

If you don't intend to spend money on lotro you just save up 95 TP (they keep popping up in 10TP increments every hour or so).

If you intend to *ever* spend money on lotro it gets complicated. The $10 Samwise Horse deal was mentioned above. It unlocks horses for all characters and gives an extra bag as well. It also bumps you up to premium which is likely worth something.

For $15 you can go the "one month of VIP" route. If you go this route you should have as many characters as you plan on having run through as much f2p content as you can (preferably to level 20). Once you subscribe, take your characters to the horse farm and run the (VIP only) race to get your riding trait <TM>. Characters who are played during this month have huge advantages over f2p (and those listed above): they have 6 (5? according to one FAQ) bags, all traits/virtues/class stuff/lengendaries unlocked (about 500TP <I>per character</I>). You will have the account-wide gold limit removed (spending any money bumps it to 5, deluxe houses start above 6 gold. I suspect that you could hit this very fast once the auction house is unlocked (which it is once you spend a dime on LOTRO)). They can also swift travel (I imagine this is addicting).

Finally, I'm pretty sure that you can level through some places you need not purchase afterwards and you are allowed to finish some of the quests/tasks/whatever you start. It appears to be a good deal, and you have the time to decide as you will likely want a bunch of level 20 characters before purchase.

Note all of this information comes from my own wondering about horses and other f2p issues, I am still f2p. The infomation comes from here

For the tile thing: I had issues with some zones looking completely off. Like the floor in south bree was completely black, other areas looked like they were under water when they weren't. Most of Moria's floor was completely see through so that was fun...("am I going to step on ground or plunge to my death?")

Play with your graphic settings, I can't remember off the top of my head what I changed. I lowered everything and started playing with things one at a time until I found out which was screwing me up. Everything is normal now

Welcome to the game!

I've been seeing the same thing. It also seems to happen in DDO. Not so much invisible "tiles" as entire surfaces, that so far have always been the ground. Move a bit closer and it all re-appears.

In my case, it may be a video card/driver issue (nvidia 280GT?). I had similar problems with Skyrim, but that was only after an update that replaced purple missing textures with invisible missing textures. Also, I'm using the windows 8 preview if that makes any difference.

Red face Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies and Welcomes everyone!

yawumpus, the tiles are still like that even if I walk on them...

And let me try to explane more about what I mean about the tiles to others, because I have never put a screen shot on a web page before... Ok, well what I mean is the world of LOTRO seems to be made of lots of bigish tiles... And some of these tiles are see through or don't look right... Like in West Bree the floor looks black, and a bit see through and in some spots where there is meant to be a dirt road its just grass... I hope you understand a bit better now.

And I did buy the horse riding skill from the Lotro shop, but do you have to be lvl 20 to get a good horse from the farm place in bree? And I already had 255 tp to spend in the Lotro shop... Is that normal for a level 8 player?

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre76 View Post
    For the tile thing: I had issues with some zones looking completely off. Like the floor in south bree was completely black, other areas looked like they were under water when they weren't. Most of Moria's floor was completely see through so that was fun...("am I going to step on ground or plunge to my death?")

Play with your graphic settings, I can't remember off the top of my head what I changed. I lowered everything and started playing with things one at a time until I found out which was screwing me up. Everything is normal now

Welcome to the game!
    Thanks for telling me that! I will try it and see how it goes.
    But tell me if you remember what you did.

And let me try to explane more about what I mean about the tiles to others, because I have never put a screen shot on a web page before... Ok, well what I mean is the world of LOTRO seems to be made of lots of bigish tiles... And some of these tiles are see through or don't look right... Like in West Bree the floor looks black, and a bit see through and in some spots where there is meant to be a dirt road its just grass... I hope you understand a bit better now.
    I've only had this issue from weak server connection or if too many apps on my computer are competing for bandwith and CPU usage. The tiles aren't loading. Are you by any chance using wifi to connect to your router/modem? If so try using a lan cable to connect. Bigger pipe = more flow

And I did buy the horse riding skill from the Lotro shop, but do you have to be lvl 20 to get a good horse from the farm place in bree? And I already had 255 tp to spend in the Lotro shop... Is that normal for a level 8 player?
    Naw - after your first toon goes on foot for 20 levels few ever want to repeat the experience. TP and game silver get you a horse and the sooner it's acquired out of the starting instance the better. Lvl 8 is right on time.

.... And it's fairly easy to earn TP in this game. Deeds earn you both traits and TP at the same time and both are crucial to having the best possible experience in lotro. Basically after the riding skill I'd recommend using TP to mainly purchase other zones that you will want to level in after lvl 30 or so. Few regret buying Evendim. Resist using TP to buy bling because you'll be needing Moria later on and it's the first big game expansion on the horizon. If you ever decide to spend real world money there are a few great bundles like the Mithril edition that get you a huge amount of Middle Earth on the cheap.
    Last edited by Anavalar; Dec 11 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Red face

[QUOTE=Anavalar;6565589]I've only had this issue from weak server connection or if too many apps on my computer are competing for bandwith and CPU usage. The tiles aren't loading. Are you by any chance using wifi to connect to your router/modem? If so try using a lan cable to connect. Bigger pipe = more flow

Yeah, where using a little white wireless internet internet thingy for our laptops, I would show a picture if I could but I cant find a picture of one online because I don't think I know what its cald... But its small, white and has little blue buttons on each side of it one to turn it on and one for something else... It also has a little screen to tell if the internet is connected or disconnected and how much charge is left in it. But yeah I will see if I can try using a cable and see if it fixes it

Thanks!

Yeah, where using a little white wireless internet internet thingy for our laptops, I would show a picture if I could but I cant find a picture of one online because I don't think I know what its cald... But its small, white and has little blue buttons on each side of it one to turn it on and one for something else... It also has a little screen to tell if the internet is connected or disconnected and how much charge is left in it. But yeah I will see if I can try using a cable and see if it fixes it
    The white thingy sounds like your wifi router which in turn would be wired to another box which is the modem from which you and everyone else in your place connect to the net. You should be able to take a lan cable (looks like a phone cord with bigger connectors on the ends) and connect directly from your laptop to a connection right on the side of the router.

This will make playing ANY online game behave much better. If you are having trouble with your graphics loading you will also run into the same problem with fighting enemies. Your screen might seem to freeze and the next thing you know the fight is over and you didn't get to land a shot.

Laptops also don't usually have the kind of graphics cards in them that online games like to use. You can also open your preferences (It's a little button on your menu bar with a ">" on it) and set your graphics settings to "low". Everything will still look cool but YOU will be much faster and smoother while fighting, riding, etc.

If I were having that issue with the tiles, I would definitely make sure all my drivers were updated and then diskcheck/redownload and install again if updating didn't help. I would also check the support forums and post there, if I tried everything found there and it still didn't work.