We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Sharing a House

Question Sharing a House

My younger sister and I are both elves looking to share a house together. We were wondering if we can split the upkeep for a house or if the upkeep has to be paid in full by one character every week.

Let's say the house we're interested in costs 50s a week. Could we each pay 25s separately or does one of use have to pay the full 50s?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000188663/signature.png]Luyuriel[/charsig]

Whomever buys the house can set the house permissions, including settings for allowing others to enter the house, use decorations, and pay maintenance among other things. One of those settings is allowing others to allow permissions, so you can buy the house and allow another toon complete permissions.

As far as I know each weeks 'rent' must be paid for all at once, as well as the purchase price of the house, but you could arrange whatever you'd like with your partner.

Ah, okay. I thought separate payments may be beyond the game's programming.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000188663/signature.png]Luyuriel[/charsig]

Some other issues:

Whoever buys the house gets a skill to teleport home once an hour. I don't think there's a way to gain that skill to "someone elses" house (all characters on that account & server also get this skill, but I don't think you can get it without sharing the account).

If you delete the character you lose the house. Seems unlikely, but if I wind up on Imladris, I will likely replace my loremaster with a minstrel. The house is in the loremaster's name...

I guess the unspoken issue is why you are doing this. If cost is the reason, you will likely each be able to afford a house before the first "rent" (tax? HOA dues?) is due. If you want to share decorating it, it might be best if you chose a place where you could buy two nearby houses and use one as the "shared house" (thus giving both of you the ability to teleport in pretty close).

I've found the teleporting in and the extra storage wildly helpful in playing the game. It is certainly worth it to have a house each just for that. I expect to upgrade to a deluxe house sooner or later, so haven't played the decorating game much at all (no idea if my woodworker will ever be able to make a bookshelf ). I'm pretty annoyed that I haven't seen any hint of wine cellars similar to what's available in Oblivion.