We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Steam Client is not ready for prime time either.

I'm really getting to hate Vbulletin -- it ate my post yet again because of a bloody cookie timeout!
    I don't mind loging in again to the forums, but I do object to it constantly trashing my post in the process.

So far, it appears that the Steam Client release is just as buggy (maybe even more so) as the Turbine download.

The Steam Boards for LOTRO are full of people having all kinds of issues simply getting started.... including the infamous "You do not have the current version" message from Bullroarer.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I'm really getting to hate Vbulletin -- it ate my post yet again because of a bloody cookie timeout!
    I don't mind loging in again to the forums, but I do object to it constantly trashing my post in the process.

So far, it appears that the Steam Client release is just as buggy (maybe even more so) as the Turbine download.

The Steam Boards for LOTRO are full of people having all kinds of issues simply getting started.... including the infamous "You do not have the current version" message from Bullroarer.
    I feel your pain on the post eating forums Really annoying when you are trying to help others. My routine now is:

Start typing > Copy All > Drag to Desktop > type some more > Repeat. Only way I can be sure I wont lose the effort. Each Preview is like russian roulette.

Sad to hear the Steam app is not more polished or fixing current bugs. For the size I can see no reason to get it unless it is offering these or actually the update.

Any idea what the extra bloat is made of then if not update?
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Any idea what the extra bloat is made of then if not update?
    That's what I was writing up when I got hosed.

Basically, the Steam download information is completely bogus. I have no idea where they got the 70GB number from.

The Steam download manager starts out by telling you the space required is 36,640 MB... and that it will take 21 days to download it at 20KB/s... However, the Steam download manager only wants to download 29.6 GB and 4.5 hours -- but it only took me just about 3.5.

Once the download is completed the files wind up in:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings Online/...

In that directory one finds out why the bloat! -- it contains BOTH the Windows client download AND the Mac Client.
    So you wind up with two complete copies of the graphics ".dat" files PLUS all of the rest of the Windows installation - the .dll files, launcher, etc.

The Mac client is the same 20GB as in the Turbine .dmg download. And it is also the same version 1.0. The only change from the Turbine distributed Mac client is a big screw-up!

When you hit "Play" in the Steam Download Manager you get to old familiar red Eye, and then a new "Thanks for downloading" screen. Once the update is done (Not completely certain if it was Update 8 or just the 8.1 or 8.2 patch, as it only too about 20 minutes to patch) You fill in your userid and password....
    And If I had not been routinely switching back and forth between the Beta and Live clients would not have realized -- it has
    "Enter last played world" checked -- for BULLROARER!

If you don't uncheck it, you wind up with the "you do not have the current version" message. But if you do uncheck it, you get the list of servers and can log in normally.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Did the facepalm already on the other thread so I'll resist it again... tempting though it is...

Thanks for the details. Sounds like they need to sort this fast or there will lose potential Mac players even before they get to try the game.

If they do sort it and simply put the existing mac client on the Mac Steam download at least it's another option for those having issues with the download.

edit: OK I see that they are all having the Bullroarer version mismatch error so it isn't just your prefs.

Also, I asked in the other thread but would be interested to see if the version is the 8.0.1 one of the Bullroarer U9 patched version which is the most up to date I have that worked on Bullroarer.

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>0900.0050.5844.8008 lotro_u09</string
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 08 2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5