We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Captain Heralds: More useful and helpful

When playing solo as a Captain on high level, most of your skills are limited. You can't shield/blade/song -brother someone without having that useless Herald behind you. What about a combination between banners and herald's?

Remove the equipped banners. Instead give the herald armaments with same amount of self buff of the banners and the problem is already almost solved. Replace the tailor recipes with more herald recipes that give them the option to choose between the stats: 2295 Armour value for Herald + the stat bonus of the banner of Hope, Victory or War.

Two quick examples (made them quick, not about how it looks like but what I mean):

The Herald of Hope/Victory/War is already good at buffing the rest of the group, but we need one more: Herald of Defence.
    The herald of Defence will get the buffs on the Coldfell Standard. Remove the Coldfell Standard from the Captain trader in the Ettenmoors and replace it with Heralds Armaments that has the Coldfell standard of Defence buff.

Give the Herald of Defence defensive skills, maybe like:
    - Skill 1: Buff: Reduces targets incoming damage by: 5% for 10 seconds. Cooldown = 30 seconds
    - Skill 2: Heal: Heals the target for 20% of the targets total health, consumes 35% of the Heralds total health. Cooldown = 1 Minute
    - Skill 3: Single-target Aggro:
    - Defense Aura: Physical and Tactical Mitigations
    - Health = 125% of the Captains total health
    - Power = 75% of the Captains total Power

Herald of Hope:
    - Skill 1: Buff: Increases targets Incoming healing by 25% for 10 seconds. Cooldown = 60 seconds
    - Skill 2: Heal: Heals the target for 300-400 Morale initially and 150 - 200 Morale every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. Cooldown = 25 Seconds
    - Skill 3: Damage: Stuns the target for 3 seconds and does 200 - 300 Beleriand damage. Cooldown = 5 seconds
    - Hope Aura: The same buff as the banner of hope gives within 25 meters: +138 Incombat Morale Regen and +1048 Maximum Morale and + 1 Hope (If traited).
    - Health = 135% of the Captains total health
    - Power = 65% of the Captains total power

Herald of War:
    - Skill 1: Debuff: Increases targets incoming damage by 5% for 10 seconds and does damage. Cooldown = 30 Seconds
    - Skill 2: AoE Damage: AoE Damage for around 200-500 damage within 5 meters around the herald for a maximum of 5 targets. Cooldown = 5 seconds
    - Skill 3: AoE Bleed: AoE Damage for around 200-300 Damage and a bleed for 100 - 150 damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds, maximum 3 targets within 5 meter. Cooldown = 15 seconds.
    - War Aura: Within 25 meters: + 860 Physical Mastery and Tactical Mastery and 360 Critical Rating
    - Health = 100% of the Captains total health
    - Power = 100% of the Captains total health

Herald of Victory:
    - Skill 1: Buff: Increases targets incombat power regen by 300 for 20 seconds. Cooldown = 30 seconds.
    - Skill 2: Power: Restores 25% Power of the targets total Power, consumes 40% of the Heralds power. Cooldown = 1 Minute
    - Skill 3: Damage: Stuns the target for 3 seconds and does 200 - 300 Beleriand damage. Cooldown = 5 seconds
    - Power Aura: +332 Incombat power regen and +15% maximum power (15% of each fellow total power) within 25 meters.
    - Health = 60% of the Captains total health
    - Power = 140% of the Captains total power

Archer herald: Increase the damage and remove Evasion:
    - Skill 1: Sure Aim: Its ok how it is maybe increase the damage from 404-476 Common damage to 554-626 and instead of common damage, Beleriand damage. Cooldown = 20 seconds instead of 30
    - Skill 2: Barberd Arrows: The slow is nice, maybe increase the slow from 10% to 20% for 20 seconds and the cooldown to 20 seconds (This gives the Captain a ranged slow). Cooldown = 20 seconds
    - Skill 3: Rain of Arrows (Maybe another name): AoE Attack for 3 targets, Does around 404-476 damage and roots the targets for 2 seconds. Cooldown = 45 seconds
    - Archer Aura: Increases the Damage of fellow targets in 25 meters by 5%
    - Health = 100% of the Captains total health
    - Power = 100% of the Captains total power

Increase the auto attack damage by 100% and make it Beleriand damage: For example, my archer hits on a Ettenmoors Light Dummy: TheRageQuitMinion scored a hit with Archer Attack Min on the Light Training-dummy Orion for 59 Common damage to Morale. After: TheRageQuitMinion scored a hit with Archer Attack Min on the Light Training-dummy Orion for 118 Beleriand damage to Morale.

This would make Precise Ally & Loyalty much more useful too!

Remember, the damage from Skill 1, 2 and 3 is without Audacity. The auto attack is with audacity on a Light-armoured target.

* New skill: Around level 65 - 85: Call to arms: Stand and fight: For 20 seconds, you are able to summon a herald to battle while in combat. Cost: 15% of the Captains total Health and 10% of the Captains total Power. Cooldown = 10 Minutes

Update* New skill: Plant Banner:
    - Plant Banner: Banner of Hope: You place a banner on the ground while not be able to summon a Herald. The banner of hope provides everyone within 25m +138 Incombat morale regen and +1048 maximum morale.
    - Plant Banner: Banner of Victory: You place a banner on the ground while not be able to summon a Herald. The banner of victory provides everyone within 25m +332 Incombat power regen and +15% maximum power (15% of each fellow total power)
    - Plant Banner: Banner of War: You place a banner on the ground while not be able to summon a Herald. The banner of war provides everyone within 25m + 860 Physical Mastery and Tactical Mastery and 360 Critical Rating
    - Plant Banner: Has no power cost and a cooldown of 5 seconds. This will work the same as the Banners we have now but they are skills instead of equipped items and will take no inventory space. You can place every banner while also equip a Armament. This gives captains the change of having different choices while in a different fight.

Thanks to dietlbomb for the Plant Banner idea!

I hope this is a good step in the future of Captain Heralds and Banners.

Feedback would be very nice
    Last edited by Hibbit; Dec 08 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000011e518/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbit View Post

Remove the banners from Captains (Its already annoying enough to put them on the ground for 5 seconds before doing it again).
    Not to mention the 260 power each freaking time a creep moves. That must be one heavy banner to need all that power.

Where have you been? These are excellent suggestions! I've been trying to come up with a way to consolidate banners and heralds but that never crossed my mind. It seem so obvious now +Rep

Before anyone says it's OP to have Blade brother and a banner know this. We already have it, we use that same set up every day we are in a group. However Turbine has not given us the capacity to continue to use that set up after the group leaves. Yet another knot in our ties to group power.

So we lose...
    2second plant battle prep every x meters
    Get to keep 260 power every x meters
    1 possible craft, (3 banners 1 herald) while keeping 3 crafts.

Get
    Heralds that matter, with more diverse skills
    Blade brother with banner just like we do in group
    Morale aura that works in the moors.

I love it.
    Last edited by Armitas; Dec 07 2012 at 09:56 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    Not to mention the 260 power each freaking time a creep moves. That must be one heavy banner to need all that power.

Where have you been? These are excellent suggestions! I've been trying to come up with a way to consolidate banners and heralds but that never crossed my mind. It seem so obvious now +Rep

Before anyone says it's OP to have Blade brother and a banner know this. We already have it, we use that same set up every day we are in a group. However Turbine has not given us the capacity to continue to use that set up after the group leaves. Yet another knot in our ties to group power.

So we lose...
    2second plant battle prep every x meters
    Get to keep 260 power every x meters
    1 possible craft, (3 banners 1 herald) while keeping 3 crafts.

Get
    Heralds that matter, with more diverse skills
    Blade brother with banner just like we do in group
    Morale aura that works in the moors.

I love it.
    Updated the other heralds I left out, War/Hope/Victory. Great that you love it and indeed, we have the same buffs when grouped. This only makes playing solo more fun when your friends aren't around.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000011e518/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Updated the other heralds I left out, War/Hope/Victory. Great that you love it and indeed, we have the same buffs when grouped. This only makes playing solo more fun when your friends aren't around.
    I'd like to see heralds revamped, but kind of like the idea that a group maximizes the captain (e.g. allows for simultaneous banner and brother skill). I'd like that last aspect not to be lost in the shuffle.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Although i agree it's annoying to have the same banner issues that we have had from the start but your suggestions are WAY overpowered. Obviously i'd be happy with them I'm a captain.. but the suggestions are too much; maybe lesser versions and longer cooldowns?

Also the archer is great; using that evade skill is fantastic when it comes to getting your archer to tank a boss while you take out its adds in the first minute or so
    Evernight:
    Ellomir - Captain
    Snowbourn:
    Radni - Loremaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkit View Post
    Although i agree it's annoying to have the same banner issues that we have had from the start but your suggestions are WAY overpowered. Obviously i'd be happy with them I'm a captain.. but the suggestions are too much; maybe lesser versions and longer cooldowns?

Also the archer is great; using that evade skill is fantastic when it comes to getting your archer to tank a boss while you take out its adds in the first minute or so
    Hmm.. What do you think is overpowered? The damage increase for Heralds? A longer cooldown would be ok too. Remember that Captains are in comparison with other classes beneath them. Although our healing ability's are great our damage and control is still weak. We only just had a slow with Rise of Isengard and you need to trait for a stun that is on a defeat response.

My view is from the Ettenmoors at the moment and not PvE.

Maybe the archer evade skill is fantastic when it comes to tank a boss, but when will you tank a boss on high level content? One heal and you get the aggro of your archer and what use will evasion then have?

Remove the banners from Captains
    Absolutely not. End of thread.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    First thing, because you don't like something doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

Second, before saying anything about it, play in the Ettenmoors. In PvE this might not be a problem because you are the one that moves the target, in PvP this is.

I really like this idea. I had written a whole response, but the stupid forum logged me out when I submitted it.
    Anyway a couple of suggestions.
    One I think that maybe there should be a moderate CD on the summon skill like 5m or so. Also a class trait that would be nice (maybe in LoM) would be 'Grab the banner' and it would allow the captain to carry on the bonus of the herald's banner for a certain amount of time if the herald dies in battle.
    Another suggestion would be to rearrange the stats on the Herald of War aura. I think maybe either take out the will and replace it with tactical mastery, because I think it lessens the appeal of the Herald of Victory. Or replace all of those stats with something like 500 tactical and physical mastery and 500 crit.
    Overall great idea and definitely a direction I would like to see the heralds/banners going in.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000014e97c/signature.png]Davymark[/charsig]

First thing, because you don't like something doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

Second, before saying anything about it, play in the Ettenmoors. In PvE this might not be a problem because you are the one that moves the target, in PvP this is.
    While I wouldn't mind the OP all that much, many captains completely and totally loathe using the herald - and with something so optional to the class, many captains are going to react exactly like Furtim did.

The OP comes across as "remove banners, use heralds instead", but in the process, it also takes away a herald kill switch of slotting the banner, which is something that is lost.

The other question: What happens to the buff when the herald is killed or despawns?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

I like the idea, but I like the lore thing behind the banners we captains place in the ground also... so I would say to keep both! Come on, that would not change too much, it is not like after this kind of change we would rule Middle Earth...

The only thing that I am worried is that would be very easier to lvl a cappy... the captain should be a class very dificult to level up... the most difficult I believe. It is lore breaking make the captain easy to lvl up, it is lore breaking to have A LOT of captains in middle earth.

Like Ac/Dc song, It is a long way to the top... If you want to be a Leader of Men, keep in mind it will not be easy, it will not be funny, but in the end it is really worthy and rewarding
    [b][size=3][FONT=Garamond][color=#8B0000][center]HELGRIMM OF ELENDILMIR[/color][/FONT][/size][/b][color=#696969][i]Still I'm pushing onward, alone I can't deny
    My presence fills the desert, my spirit never dies![/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9080823/ville.gif[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    How bout this.

We got the same internal buffs we get from the banners on the herald so as long as he have the herald armor equipped were equal to a banner equipped. Now, make the banners a skill just like the herald summons are, and knock off 4 bag spots while were at it.

If Furtim feels ok with that, then OP maybe you could add it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    I'd like to see heralds revamped, but kind of like the idea that a group maximizes the captain (e.g. allows for simultaneous banner and brother skill). I'd like that last aspect not to be lost in the shuffle.

*speaking to the ever present notion, not the author.

Why must we be "minimized" when there is no group? We are captains, a true individual class. We are not some herald that the group summons and dismisses. Unlike our heralds we still exist when the group goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrariroger View Post
    The only thing that I am worried is that would be very easier to lvl a cappy... the captain should be a class very dificult to level up... the most difficult I believe. It is lore breaking make the captain easy to lvl up, it is lore breaking to have A LOT of captains in middle earth.
    While you might be singing "It's a long way to the top" someone else might be singing "I'm on a Highway to X"

God help us, we will never go anywhere. Not even page two and we got "I want the captain to continue to suck when the group goes away" and "I want the captain to continue to suck enough that few people roll one". That may not be what you guys said, but to those of us that are tired of sucking that's what we hear. How bout we make him a good enough class that more people want to play him. How bout we make him work in the moors even if it means making a pleasurable leveling experience.

I have never in my life seen so many people that want the worst for their class. The captain is a competent leader not a martyr.
    Last edited by Armitas; Dec 07 2012 at 06:51 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

How bout this.

We got the same internal buffs we get from the banners on the herald so as long as he have the herald armor equipped were equal to a banner equipped. Now, make the banners a skill just like the herald summons are, and knock off 4 bag spots while were at it.

If Furtim feels ok with that, then OP maybe you could add it in.

*speaking to the ever present notion, not the author.

Why must we be "minimized" when there is no group? We are captains, a true individual class. We are not some herald that the group summons and dismisses. Unlike our heralds we still exist when the group goes away.

While you might be singing "It's a long way to the top" someone else might be singing "I'm on a Highway to X"

God help us, we will never go anywhere. Not even page two and we got "I want the captain to continue to suck when the group goes away" and "I want the captain to continue to suck enough that few people roll one". That may not be what you guys said, but to those of us that are tired of sucking that's what we hear. How bout we make him a good enough class that more people want to play him. How bout we make him work in the moors even if it means making a pleasurable leveling experience.

I have never in my life seen so many people that want the worst for their class. The captain is a competent leader not a martyr.
    I'm glad that you are the one that sees what I see. Thanks for supporting me.

I like the idea, but I like the lore thing behind the banners we captains place in the ground also... so I would say to keep both! Come on, that would not change too much, it is not like after this kind of change we would rule Middle Earth...

Like Ac/Dc song, It is a long way to the top... If you want to be a Leader of Men, keep in mind it will not be easy, it will not be funny, but in the end it is really worthy and rewarding
    We could keep them both. Although then I think the roles will switch, Heralds would be useful and banners be useless. I don't mind if the banners would stay but they will not be used in this situation.

I didn't say anything about the level requirements, maybe that would solve a part of the leveling fast problem. Remember that you will only start with shield-brother untill around level 65+.

The most part I'm aiming at is to improve Captains while playing solo in the Ettenmoors, doing deeds, soloing instances, when your friends aren't around. What I want to see first is not have to put my banner on the ground again and again while losing power. Giving the heralds a little more damage because what they do now is just a joke, 50 on a auto attack and maybe 200 on a skill attack. We are not in Moria anymore where this would be ok.

IMHO even if we have pets, the captain is not a pet class.

I rather had a way for us to use our brother skills solo with a banner and scrapping the heralds that eliminating the banners and empowering the heralds. I really dislike the idea of using a pet.

That being said, is more of a personal "taste". I have almost no issues with the mechanics that you proposed gameplay-wise. My only suggestion would be to give every herald a slow.

Quote Originally Posted by hussar View Post
    IMHO even if we have pets, the captain is not a pet class.

I rather had a way for us to use our brother skills solo with a banner and scrapping the heralds that eliminating the banners and empowering the heralds. I really dislike the idea of using a pet.

That being said, is more of a personal "taste". I have almost no issues with the mechanics that you proposed gameplay-wise. My only suggestion would be to give every herald a slow.
    Groups are for using a Banner and Brother skills together, Heralds are for when groups are gone (in my opinion). Like it or not we ARE a pet class whether it's a player or bot that serves as our minion.

I for one am completely in favor of this suggestion (don't necessarily need/want banners gone, but I like Herald buffs). I hope someone higher up sees this thread.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a01000017ae5d/signature.png]Ugmog[/charsig]

Co-host and editor of [URL=www.throughthepalantir.blogspot.com]Through the Palantir[/URL].

I appreciate the idea of combining the superior buffs of banners with the ability to apply brother skills of heralds as a means of improving soloability. However I cannot support the idea of eliminating banners.

First, as stated above, what happens to the buffs when the herald dies. Banners cannot be killed, heralds will be.

Second, banners have better situational aggro control than heralds. I don't need creep NPC's because my stupid herald pulled them.

Just give us the ability to apply Brother skills to our herlads, directly to ourselves or to our banners. My banner has about as much DPS as my herald anyway

Also, my moment of selfishness, don't remove the Coldfells banner from the moors and make it a generic 4th banner available to everyone. I earned that banner and would not want to see that diminished.
    Gungus - Captain

How bout this.

Hey dude, please dont misunderstand me. I dont want our class to suck... I DO WANT this kind of improvement and even other like the SOLO STANCE thing. and I agree that nowadays our class suck in moors, but this kind of improvements should be only for ending game captains.

For me the captain suck to lvl, and also does the lore master, because they should not be common classes, you should never meet an army with more leaders than soldiers, you know? If you wanna roll an easy class, pick a champ.

http://www.lotro.com/hero.php? If you follow the link and look for the classes description, you will notice a field called Class Difficulty. We are not supposed to be a easy to play class.

PS: sry if I sound weird or kinda rude... english isnt my native language, I did not mean to offend no one here.

EDIT: and OP, I do support your idea. And for the guys that dont like using pets (I personally dont like to call my squire as a pet, anyway) keep not using this. I only think we should not dismiss the banners because ocassionaly our squire dies, then we grab the banner and place it on the ground, so our soldiers are still inspired by our symbols!
    Last edited by ferrariroger; Dec 07 2012 at 11:17 PM.
    [b][size=3][FONT=Garamond][color=#8B0000][center]HELGRIMM OF ELENDILMIR[/color][/FONT][/size][/b][color=#696969][i]Still I'm pushing onward, alone I can't deny
    My presence fills the desert, my spirit never dies![/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9080823/ville.gif[/img][/center]

I also want to stop being dead last in the DPS charts - LtC needs to have yet another huge DPS boost, somewhere between the 30% to 50% mark, so we move from sitting at 50% of a hunter, to 65% to 75% for most captains. With the top 1% of captains able to match DPS with a hunter.

For me the captain suck to lvl, and also does the lore master, because they should not be common classes, you should never meet an army with more leaders than soldiers, you know? If you wanna roll an easy class, pick a champ.
    No, what you are stating is bad class design - and should be fixed. The solution to bad class design should never be "go roll a X" - to me, that's the same as you telling us to take the problem and shove it up our tailpipes.

I can see that many of you want to keep the banners, to switch back to them when your herald falls or even always use them because you don't like a Herald.

The banners can stay if that would make this plan even better, but will people still use them? If you can't switch back after your herald falls makes you even more carefull about your herald. It makes you choice carefully which Herald you are going to use in battle. As long as I know, Captain's are ment to be a class with an ally.

The banners can stay if that would make this plan even better, but will people still use them? If you can't switch back after your herald falls makes you even more carefull about your herald. It makes you choice carefully which Herald you are going to use in battle. As long as I know, Captain's are ment to be a class with an ally.
    But therein lies the problem...

Doing something that will cause my banner buff to be put out of commission for the remainder of the fight is generally ill advised.

Currently, we have a banner buff hot-swapping ability (at will, I can go between hope, victory, or war), in addition to our Tactic buffs (crit/parry/ICPR), XBrothers, and our marks - which are also all hot-swappable.

I'm not seeing how the hot swapping functionality is retained in what you are proposing - and that's most likely why many of the captains that have been objecting are objecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    But therein lies the problem...

Doing something that will cause my banner buff to be put out of commission for the remainder of the fight is generally ill advised.

Currently, we have a banner buff hot-swapping ability (at will, I can go between hope, victory, or war), in addition to our Tactic buffs (crit/parry/ICPR), XBrothers, and our marks - which are also all hot-swappable.

I'm not seeing how the hot swapping functionality is retained in what you are proposing - and that's most likely why many of the captains that have been objecting are objecting.
    What you can do is swapping your Armaments between Hope/Victory/War and Defence (if you got it from the moors). Maybe with a skill that you can summon a Herald in combat would help?

What you can do is swapping your Armaments between Hope/Victory/War and Defence (if you got it from the moors). Maybe with a skill that you can summon a Herald in combat would help?
    But there's a key difference between a herald and a banner.... in the 'Moors, its' often the time it takes to use a skill to drop a banner.... and if the captain is playing healer/support, that's fairly manageable.

With summoning a herald, that's an induction that locks you from doing anything for a set amount of time, and it can be interrupted, so it's inherently higher risk.

A few options here.

Make this new herald item icon identical to the old banner icon only with a helmet behind it or something. When you click on the "item" it will summon your banner, and to have the herald you use the herald skill. So basically all things remain the same functionally. (recommended) (This is actually how I thought the idea worked, replace the banner with these things but still usable, but I guess my mind came up with that part on it's own)

Leave banners as they are, and incorporate these ideas beside the original.

Or you could have all banners as skills and be able to mix/match equipped internal buffs with external buffs.
    Last edited by Armitas; Dec 08 2012 at 08:48 AM.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Ooh! Ooh!

What if we made it so that when your herald dies he "drops his banner" which sticks to the ground?

Then we could use that proposed "grab the banner" trait to pick it up and move it around as needed.

The only thing I don't like about that is that it's dependent on a single class trait, so maye the trade-off is that you can do the same thing by planting your own banners, but that takes more power and space in your bag, while carrying the flag and moving it takes ~50% of the power needed to plant a new one.

Thoughts?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a01000017ae5d/signature.png]Ugmog[/charsig]

Co-host and editor of [URL=www.throughthepalantir.blogspot.com]Through the Palantir[/URL].

This sounds like a pretty good idea. I would propose one modification:

Add a "Plant Banner" skill. This will plant a banner with the same aura as the currently equipped armaments. It will also dismiss your herald. Thus captains who prefer banners would have the same functionality as before, just with a new itemization.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast