We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Idea: Housing Expansion.

This is an idea in need of refinement before I post it in the suggestions forum.

My idea consists of creating a new housing system that could be bought of your own free will. This will leave the basic/current housing the way it is for those that enjoy it and would not like to pay extra.

In doing research of other games with housing they mostly consist of hours of collecting materials and spending too much in-game money.
    -So I had the idea to base the size/structure/room#s upon completion of Epic Volumes.
    Enabling you to expand your house as you quest within a storyline.

Examples.

The Introduction ~ lvl 10
    -Grants land for the building of your Homestead.
    -I cant decide if the new houses would be in neighborhoods, or your own 'instanced' area where people can visit upon permission via an npc or something....Feedback needed.

Volume I The Shadows of Angmar ~10-50
    -15 Books- Each one granting a specific part of your house. (Floor, Walls, Roof....)
    -Basic house ~3-4 rooms?

Volume II Mines of Moria ~ 50-65
    -9 Books- Upgrading your house (Second Floor with several rooms.) +Epilogue (Attic? -extra storage area)

Volume III Allies of the King ~ 65-85+
    -9+Books- Adding Extra Wings and Outbuildings. (Personal stable for a couple of your mounts, Personal Wardrobe mannequins/room, Ideas needed)

My approach to tying the house in with the Epics is that it is something most people have already done. Thus instantly rewarding you upon purchase and not requiring further effort beyond what the game already holds. With the added benefit of watching a house grow as you level up.

Things that would be nice to see within this expansion-
    (Any of these can be edited upon constructive feedback.)
    -New Houses
    -New 'Hook' System
    -Either you own an old home or a new one not both
    -Account based- only one character needs to have completed an Epic quest to gain that portion of house.
    -Crafting facilities?
    -?

Work in-progress any and all constructive feedback is welcome
    Last edited by Gilgaldoren; Dec 08 2012 at 03:58 AM.

First impression: negative. Let me explain why.
    The Introduction ~ lvl 10
    -Grants land for the building of your Homestead.
    So anyone could claim the land...and do nothing. Imagine ghost-town with no buildings at all. And how about payments in in-game currency?

Volume I The Shadows of Angmar ~10-50
    -15 Books- Each one granting a specific part of your house. (Floor, Walls, Roof....)
    -Basic house ~3-4 rooms?
    So, one book equals to floor, another - to walls and final book - to roof? I would just hate to build my own house like that.
    Basic house 3-4 rooms means that future basic house would be better than current Deluxe house. What would Deluxe be like then?

Volume III Allies of the King ~ 65-85+
    -9+Books- Adding Extra Wings and Outbuildings. (Stable-s?, Armory?, Ideas needed)
    Sorry, I would not like stables and armories. Towns/settlements are for crafting. House is where I can just relaxe, sit near cozy fireplace or inspect my own vault and treasures here. I can roleplay with friends or organize fireworks party...just do not just craft that bronze axe over and over again.

I used to play one MMOPRG (would not name it:whoever wants, will find its name in my blog) where player structures were build mostly as vaults: tents, houses, storages...and for crafting too. It worked for that game. Lotro is unique and what worked in one game, may not work in another. We have our cozy settlements where we can roleplay, relax or decorate as we wish. It's home. When I purchased my first home, I was overjoyed: it was little house, but it was mine, I could decorate it, it's not a Big Storage Building or private crafting facility.

The positive thing may be revamping author's idea and tying house upgrades to purchases from Lotro store (using cash only). Example: purchase Mines of Rohan now and get a +2 treasure chests for your house! Purchase Riders of Shire and get ability to add second floor to your house!

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    So anyone could claim the land...and do nothing. Imagine ghost-town with no buildings at all.
    My idea consists of this being an expansion so I would think a person wouldn't buy it unless they planned on using the area.

So, one book equals to floor, another - to walls and final book - to roof? I would just hate to build my own house like that.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I am very open to suggestions on how to improve this.

Basic house 3-4 rooms means that future basic house would be better than current Deluxe house. What would Deluxe be like then?
    My idea is not to use the existing houses, but completely new ones that grow with you as you complete more quests. I only use the term basic as a reference.

Sorry, I would not like stables and armories.
    I have updated my idea for stables in the original post and eliminated armories as they would not usually be found in a home.

Thanks for the Feedback.

I like the ideas, of course, I would also be happy with more places to put my always growing inventory...my deluxe house is nice and all, but the giant entrance-room is full but looks almost empty

even with the big fire-place from rohan there would still be enough room for a table to sit at (btw...the fire-place-chairs are a joke or a work in progress, right? right?)