We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to LOTRO and have a MAC Client question

So I have it all up and running and so far so good.

When I go into the graphics settings I cannot seem to see an option for a true FullScreen Mode for the game. It is just running in Windowed mode but with the full screen option checked. My issue is I have a 27'' iMac and would like to turn the resolution down from the 2560x1440 but although I can adjust the resolution it does not actually change anything unless I uncheck "Fullscreen" and just run with the windowed border around the game.

I have no tried the game in Bootcamp and I am running it on High/Ultra right now just fine but feel like the performance would be even better with a true fullscreen option that would allow me to turn down the resolution.

Am I missing something? Or is this a drawback to the mac client?

-Helyon

Yes, unfortunately the resolution switching doesn't work as you'd expect in the Mac client. It doesn't actually capture the display even when you tell it to go full screen. Another problem caused by this is that when a key is used for something by the OS, e.g. F12 opening the dashboard, you can't use that key for something else in the game.

All I can say is: /bug it!

If the relevant developers happen to read this, here is the function you should be using:
    CGCaptureAllDisplays

Quote Originally Posted by azmodeous23 View Post
    So I have it all up and running and so far so good.

When I go into the graphics settings I cannot seem to see an option for a true FullScreen Mode for the game. It is just running in Windowed mode but with the full screen option checked. My issue is I have a 27'' iMac and would like to turn the resolution down from the 2560x1440 but although I can adjust the resolution it does not actually change anything unless I uncheck "Fullscreen" and just run with the windowed border around the game.

I have no tried the game in Bootcamp and I am running it on High/Ultra right now just fine but feel like the performance would be even better with a true fullscreen option that would allow me to turn down the resolution.

Am I missing something? Or is this a drawback to the mac client?
    I'm not certain what you are asking.

The RESOLUTION of the 27 inch iMac is 2650x1440, it's a hardware (i.e. Apple design) thing, you cannot change it.

You can change the screen size by simply dragging the window.

The Mac Client does have graphics issues. For one the "Select Optimal Settings" button does not work.

The Mac Client incorrectly reports 1280x1024 to all Lua Plugins as its resolution -- this impacts screen layouts.

Changing the resolution while maintaining "High/Ultra" setting does not improve performance, they are apples and oranges.

Because of the way LOTRO's "landblock" system works, your graphics are essentially "always on high" -- the Graphics Card will only "work less hard" when you turn those settings down. Mouse over them and you can see what their impact on your system will be.

A couple of years ago, I created a "cheat-sheet" for myself on graphics ...
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User...Graphics_notes
    It was written based on the Windows client in 2012... pre Riders of Rohan, and pre-MacClient.

BTW, I routinely get 90-110 FPS riding around Windermore or Bree on my
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden