We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Math on tactical healing rating;

I was making a new emblem and I wanted to know how much difference the tactical healing rating makes to a captain's healing skills, so I swapped between 3 emblem in my inventory, each of which had no relics on it and no points spent on THR, looked at the tooltips and got the following results for the initial heals:

RC WoC VS
    699 524 384 level 81 3rd age (35.4THR) (+1% vocal healing, +1%VS. It had points spent on SoW, EfD, and ToN legacies. I don't see why those would matter, but I include that info just in case )

422 324 364 level 85 3rd age(38THR) (this had no points spent in anything, but 1% RC and 1% VS legs)

747 558 390level 85 2nd age (42.2 THR) (no points spent, +1%melee healing, +1%VS)

So it appears to me that something is wrong here. The level 81 3rd age with 35.4 THR is healing much more than the 85 3rd age with higher THR. Has anyone else encountered this issue on their emblems?

Does anyone know how the math is supposed to work, so I can test to see if it's working right? I searched in the forum but couldn't find a formula for it.
    Last edited by Mohanadan; Dec 03 2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: formatting

I do not understand why your values for the lvl 81 are higher than 85. I did figure out how the math works when I was investigating the trait deed before words last summer. (If it also affected power healing.)

I thought the +25% healing compared to the value without the trait, but I discovered it only gave me ~15%.
    So it adds 25% compared to some "base".

Quick version: healing output = (base value + tact healing rating) * sum of percentages

Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    Yep, I figured that out today, I always thought the +25% was compared to the value without the trait.

So I assume traiting this at level 75 in fact adds a constant value (25% of base) to the skill value without the trait rather than a percentage. However (Let's consider shield-brother) with my gear I gained 19-28 morale traiting this. Without any gear on, I only gained 13-18 morale traiting deeds before words.

I thought the base is constant at 75? Appearantly not since the values differ, is there a way to influence our base healing? I'm just curious where the difference originates from, because improving the base healing can certainly be interesting. Is influencing the base the magical thing that "+tactical healing raiting" on our emblem does?

Update:

Found an emblem with +22 tactical healing rating without any legacies that could interfere.

-With my gear on, except the emblem, I gained 13-18 morale traiting deeds before words. (as expected, the same value without any gear)
    -With my gear on and equiping the +22 emblem, I gained 17-25 morale traiting deeds before words.

Thus the base value without the emblem is 52-72, with the +22 emblem 68-100.
    That is an 16-28 (22 average) increase on the base value coming from the +22 tactical healing rating.

Improvements on the base value will have a much larger effect since they will get multiplied by all the +healing%'s as pointed out.

I think we now know how the tactical healing factors in, I've been wondering that for quite some time.
    I would have to check with other skills/emblems to make sure the 22 isn't a coincidence, unfortunately I'm out of time.

I don't mean to be rude so don't take this the wrong way, but I think you've made an error somewhere. It seems very unlikely a level 81 emblem would heal more than a level 85. Maybe you have it confused and your 85 emblem healed what you thought the 81 emblem healed. It wouldn't be hard to mix up the two third ages.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely something happened on your end to be honest mate.
    Evernight:
    Ellomir - Captain
    Snowbourn:
    Radni - Loremaster

Tactical Healing Rating is to healing as Weapon DPS is to damage.

Any given ability does a character-level dependent amount plus some multiple of the DPS/Healing rating. This base value is then modified by applicable buffs/bonuses.

For a given ability, in principle you can find both the rating independent and rating dependent values by recording the tooltip damage/healing as you increase the DPS/healing rating legacy. There should be a linear dependence on the DPS/healing rating. The slope is the rating coefficient, and the intercept is the rating-independent amount. If you record at the 7(?) possible values of the DPS/healing rating for an item, and use Excel to fit the slope/intercept, you should get fairly accurate values, although the round-off in the tooltips will introduce some noise.

This becomes more complicated if other legacies are affecting the tooltip, or your buffs change, or your stats change, or your traits change, etc. If everything else stays the same, though, the slope and intercept for a given ability should be identical for any weapon/class item.

Note that where you do the comparison can also affect the tooltips, since some areas give hope bonuses, and your stats may be different inside a skirmish.
    Last edited by LagunaD; Dec 04 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkit View Post
    I don't mean to be rude so don't take this the wrong way, but I think you've made an error somewhere. It seems very unlikely a level 81 emblem would heal more than a level 85. Maybe you have it confused and your 85 emblem healed what you thought the 81 emblem healed. It wouldn't be hard to mix up the two third ages.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely something happened on your end to be honest mate.
    No offense taken. I thought the same thing,which was why i double or triple-checked it. I know that I wasn't just mixing up the two 3rd age emblems because the difference was so large. I know that I had an emblem equipped, because I was just clicking on the emblems in my inventory to switch them. To go without an emblem, I would have had to manually drag the emblem off my character screen into the inventory. After logging out and logging back in, I think the tooltip just wasn't updating properly for some reason, it was behaving as if I had no emblem, but now seems to be working.

In any case, I've deconned the offending emblem for a legacy, so it will trouble me no more. Thanks for everyone's input. I haven't done an excel graph, but I did find after experimenting with different variations of emblems, no emblems, no traits, and no gear that the amount that the rating adds to the base does change for each skill, but for Inspire Nydhogg might be right that the rating dependent base value is just the tactical healing rating plus the base value.

If I decide to actually graph the skills, does anyone know how the range in the tooltips works? For each point, would I just plot the average of the range on the tooltip, or the minimum value, or is it more complicated than that. What about for skills where there is an initial heal plus a HoT?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohanadan View Post
    If I decide to actually graph the skills, does anyone know how the range in the tooltips works? For each point, would I just plot the average of the range on the tooltip, or the minimum value, or is it more complicated than that. What about for skills where there is an initial heal plus a HoT?
    90% sure its an equal probability distribution (i.e there is equal probability of generating any value in the range). Use the very middle of the range, which is the expectation value of an equal probability distribution.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Well if you have plenty of time you could of course make 3 graphs, minimum, middle and maximum value. Otherwise I would go with the middle value.

To compare quickly you should get "plain emblems" i.e. it'll have legacies like rallying cry cooldown, strength of will effects, focus buff, words of courage power and morale cost. Just nothing that adds to your healing. Also make sure you have at least 5 blue traits without the capstone.

-Write down your numbers with the emblem equiped and without.
    -Trait HOH
    -Write down your numbers with the emblem equiped and without.

For the numbers without emblem, calculate the difference with and without the trait.
    Multiply by 10 (2.5 for valiant strike) this will be the level component of the base value.

For the numbers with emblem, calculate the difference with and without the trait.
    Multiply by 10 (2.5 for valiant strike) this will be the base value.

The difference between those two is the tactical healing rating component of the base value.

That should give you 2 points, enough to draw your line. (Check with different emblems, i.e. different tactical healing ratings, to get more points and see if the line is truly lineair.)

N.B. Rounding errors will get multiplied by 10, if you want to be more accurate, you should improve your percentage difference.
    e.g. for inspiring I worked with the trait that gives +25% instead of the +10% from HoH, so you only multiply by 4.
    Be aware of the blue line healing bonuses. The disadvantage is that this will take a lot longer if you want to do it for all healing skills.