We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Change quickslot behavior to be on release instead of onpress

    What i mean is, currently:

    quickslot 1 is "drink"

    you press 1, and you drink.

    I want it to be:

    Press 1, nothing happens.
    Release 1, and you drink like normal.

    There used to be an option for this somewhere in the UI but i cant find it =-/ Anybody know how to do this now?

  2. #2
    That must have been something specific to your PC setup. It has never worked that way on my PC. That is non standard behavior for keys.

    A key is supposed to generate a single '1' when the key has been held down long enough to be recognized based on the debounce timer. The next '1' would be after the 'start of repetion' timer expires. Holding down a key will result in a 1, a pause, followed by 111111111111111.

    Mice work differently. A mouse generates a down event and up event. A left click is a down and up with the proper timer. That way the application knows the difference between left click, double left click and grab and drag.

    You can program non standard functionality in an application if you want to. For example, you could set left mouse button down to be - display cursor, zoon in for a shot. Left mouse button up - fire the shot, remove cursor and zoom out. More standard way of doing it would be - 'h' draws a weapon and display cursor, right mouse button down - zoom in. Release of the right mouse button zooms out. Left mouse click fires one round. Hold down the left mouse button for a burst.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    That must have been something specific to your PC setup. It has never worked that way on my PC. That is non standard behavior for keys.

    A key is supposed to generate a single '1' when the key has been held down long enough to be recognized based on the debounce timer. The next '1' would be after the 'start of repetion' timer expires. Holding down a key will result in a 1, a pause, followed by 111111111111111.

    Mice work differently. A mouse generates a down event and up event. A left click is a down and up with the proper timer. That way the application knows the difference between left click, double left click and grab and drag.

    You can program non standard functionality in an application if you want to. For example, you could set left mouse button down to be - display cursor, zoon in for a shot. Left mouse button up - fire the shot, remove cursor and zoom out. More standard way of doing it would be - 'h' draws a weapon and display cursor, right mouse button down - zoom in. Release of the right mouse button zooms out. Left mouse click fires one round. Hold down the left mouse button for a burst.
    Uh, what? See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171535.aspx

    While that example is specific to Windows Forms and the .NET Framework, it serves to illustrate that a key press is made up of multiple events that can be acted upon individually.
    Last edited by Psarra; Dec 03 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added a bit of clarification.
    [B]Camden • Bancroft • Kimball • Melinnas • Psarra • Prentice • Lirendil[/B]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,550
    For keys that don't use key repeat when the user continues to hold you usually use the release event to trigger the action.

    An example is your mouse click.

  5. #5
    Guess im not explaining it well enough.

    Back in Moria, there was an option in-the-game to toggle between:
    skills fire as soon as you press a key down
    AND
    Skills fire as soon as you RELEASE a key.


    Anybody know what im talking about or how to enable it in RoR?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    912
    I dont remember that ever being an option with the in-game options (but that doesn't mean it wasn't) - but it is a standard option for macros and other 3rd party key binding management programs. (and very useful)

    Are you sure you were selecting it from the game or perhaps it was from your G-keyboard?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Psarra View Post
    Uh, what? See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171535.aspx

    While that example is specific to Windows Forms and the .NET Framework, it serves to illustrate that a key press is made up of multiple events that can be acted upon individually.
    That is what I described.

    You get the first 1 when the when the key has been held down long enough to be recognized based on the debounce timer. Microsoft calls that a "keyDown" event.

    There is a 'start of repetition timer' expiration event. Microsoft calls that a "KeyPress" event. Usually when you get the KeyPress event - you get another 1. followed by a bunch more 1s based on the repeat key timer.

    I did not talk about the KeyUp event which used to terminate the KeyPress event. I do not know of any application that uses KeyUp for anything other than to terminate KeyPress. People expect something to happen when they close the switch not when they release the switch. Just think about a radio. Push the button to change to a different preset channel. It is not expected behavior for the channel to change when you take finger off the button.

    Many applications never use KeyPress or KeyUp. Instead when you get the KeyDown event you suppress the KeyPress and KeyUp. You going to fire the action when the key is pressed. You are not going to support people holding a key down to do 11111111.

    You would not want to accept 1111 in Lotro. The game functionality is queue action 1, cancel action 1, queue action 1, cancel action 1. Most people are using keys in combat. The customer wants that skill to fire as quickly as possible. You fire the action as soon as the KeyDown event occurs to improve game play and speed up the reaction of the game software to your manual input.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by superbean View Post
    Guess im not explaining it well enough.

    Back in Moria, there was an option in-the-game to toggle between:
    skills fire as soon as you press a key down
    AND
    Skills fire as soon as you RELEASE a key.


    Anybody know what im talking about or how to enable it in RoR?
    There never was such an option in Lotro. Skills always fired when you pressed the key.

    Note: Due the complex skill timing. The skill may be queued. A lot people complained about sluggish and unresponsive gameplay back during Shadows of Angmar and Mines of Moria. Turbine changed the way skills are processed to speed up the game. You hit things like Kick (interrupt skills). It would take forever for the execution hook to be reached for an interrupt skill because global cool down. Plus most interrupt skills had to wind up before they actually interrupted your opponent. Turbine came up with the concept of instant and fast skills. Changed the game timing.

    Perhaps you are remembering the old very sluggish game play.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by superbean View Post
    I want it to be:

    Press 1, nothing happens.
    Release 1, and you drink like normal.

    There used to be an option for this somewhere in the UI but i cant find it =-/ Anybody know how to do this now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    There never was such an option in Lotro. Skills always fired when you pressed the key.
    I'm not so sure about that. I'll buy that there was no in-game setting for it, but I think there's a way to do that with manual modifications to your lotro.keymap file. If I understand this correctly, this capability has been in the game for quite some time.

    Please refer to the post Lotro UI and keyboard bindings for details, but here's the relevant section:

    Quote Originally Posted by Vindalfur View Post
    Each combination of Key, MetaKey and Modifier can only be bound to one action but
    by binding two separate actions to the Up and Down modifiers you can peform two
    actions in one keystroke. Here is an example:

    ChatModeReply [ User [ 0 DIK_LWIN ] 0x00000000 Tap ]
    VOICECHAT_TALK [ User [ 0 DIK_LWIN ] 0x00000000 Down ]

    This example binds two actions to the Left Windows button, chat reply and voicechat talk,
    if the user just taps the key it's considered a chat reply, if the button is held down
    it's considered a voicechat push to talk button.

    Here is another handy example, this example performes activates two quickslots, one could
    for example be an ingame alias/shortcut to notify the group that ;target is being buffed
    and the other quickslot could perform the actual buff.

    QUICKSLOT_12 [ User [ 0 DIK_2 ] 0x00000040 Tap ]
    QUICKSLOT_62 [ User [ 0 DIK_2 ] 0x00000040 Down ]
    Now, in the OP's case, what he wants is to activate the quickslot on the "Up" trigger instead of the default (no modifier). This will be tedious to do for all quickslots, but should be possible. Here's the default:

    QUICKSLOT_1 [ Old [ 0 DIK_1 ] ]
    QUICKSLOT_2 [ Old [ 0 DIK_2 ] ]
    QUICKSLOT_3 [ Old [ 0 DIK_3 ] ]

    Now, let's change two things to make them perform as the OP wants: (1) change "Old" to "User", and (2) add "Up" between the closing braces:

    QUICKSLOT_1 [ User [ 0 DIK_1 ] Up ]
    QUICKSLOT_2 [ User [ 0 DIK_2 ] Up ]
    QUICKSLOT_3 [ User [ 0 DIK_3 ] Up ]

    You'll have to do that for all quickslot entries in the keymapping file; the in-game keybinding panel doesn't provide the granularity you want. But that should be all it takes to get the functionality you're looking for.

    Usual caveats apply: make backups of your file, don't edit it while the game client is running, and tinker at your own risk. Note I have not actually tested this change for the functionality you are seeking, only an educated guess that this might do the trick.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload