We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Journeyman Metalsmith Journals and sapphire shards

Hi there.

I got a few nice recipes, and the "Master" critical versions of the items are awesome at my level. Unfortunately, the recipes also include Sapphire shards (which are tough to come by).

I would like to buy some of both. I tried the AH and saw none.

If you can help please drop me a message and let's see if I can afford them.

Thanks in advance!

There are a couple other ways to get sapphire shards:

1) Use marks at the crafting skirmish vendor. I think sapphire shards are 24 marks apiece, I believe.

2) The bounty quests in North Bree (Nen Harn) and the barrow downs will also give you sapphire shards.

As for the journeyman metalsmith journals, try posting in trade that you want some and see if anybody has any, especially if you provide the sapphire shards to make the journals and some money for the service. You may want to check the AH for the actual journeyman metalsmith journal recipe in case a helpful scholar does not have the recipe since they are one time use. You can also get random recipes for scholars off the same bounties mentioned above, but select scholar recipe for the quest reward. It's random whether you will get metalsmith, but there is a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by menelorn View Post
    There are a couple other ways to get sapphire shards:

1) Use marks at the crafting skirmish vendor. I think sapphire shards are 24 marks apiece, I believe.

2) The bounty quests in North Bree (Nen Harn) and the barrow downs will also give you sapphire shards.

As for the journeyman metalsmith journals, try posting in trade that you want some and see if anybody has any, especially if you provide the sapphire shards to make the journals and some money for the service. You may want to check the AH for the actual journeyman metalsmith journal recipe in case a helpful scholar does not have the recipe since they are one time use. You can also get random recipes for scholars off the same bounties mentioned above, but select scholar recipe for the quest reward. It's random whether you will get metalsmith, but there is a chance.
    I actually tried the Trade channel, to no avail, and fortunately I had already located all the quests that give you shards. However, I didn't know about the crafting skirmish vendor, nor I knew anything about the Scholar things I was requesting.

It's a bummer that you also need shards for the actual journals, too :P I can see it will be too much of a hassle to try and get a full set from those Metalsmith recipes. My level is too low and I'm sure I will be using something else in a few levels.

Thanks a lot for the ton of useful info.

I think I have one of these sitting around in my house chest, it's yours if you still need it (free). Just confirm the char name you want it sent to and i'll sort it out for you asap.

Hi, Nubcat. I only have Farnham so far.

I am EXTREMELY surprised to see the kind of help I've been getting: one player gave me several Sapphire shards for free, just like that. Another one made me some Leather guards for free, as well.

I was lucky (or some bright lad read this thread yesterday) and I had the chance to purchase a couple Journals at the AH today. I hope I can get a crit, at least when crafting the shield I want.

The thing I've realized is that Free account is just unbearable. I was told to wait until North Downs to go VIP, as I would notice almost no difference when doing Bree-lands...but the gold cap is just TOO stressing.

I expect I'll go VIP this week. As soon as I need the "overflow" that the game is graciously telling me I could get when I want LOL.

Anyway, I see I came to the right server. Being an old WoW veteran (and raider) I am REALLY surprised to see people caring for other players and helping out newbies.

The LOTRO community definitely lives up to its reputation.