We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Shadows of Angmar Server

I think that a Shadows of Angmar server or 2 should be hosted, with completely different information in them than what is currently in-game. It would take the game back to just before Mines of Moria was released, so any minor updates that happened before it would be included, but the point of it would be to bring back an old, and frankly, more challenging game, more focused on a fellowship feeling of the game. A lot of people really enjoyed it, and for that reason a lot of people left when the game became more soloable and took away from the big challenges. Area and class revamps have been done to make lvling easier or classes more powerful and less squishy, which isn't necessarily bad, since it's conforming to the new cap lvl, but I feel like now the cap is easier to master than it was back in SoA. Crafting has become extremely easy; most instances and player's roles have too. I personally liked the challenge and am sure people would play on a nostalgic server, both to experience what the game used to be like, and also to go back to play it normally, playing a way that they may have preferred. It would bring back old players, and therefore might inspire them to check out the current game in addition to just the old version they were used to.
    The hosting server would really be the only cost. Turbine should have a backup of SoA server files, so it should be easy to set one up. They could include the SoA server for free to VIP players, and charge like $5-10/month for other players, but they would not have access to the RoR servers, they would have to pay the full VIP price for that. Also, F2P might not have access to the SoA server. The server would not have any Turbine Store or anything that has been introduced since the MoM expansion. That would mean people who go back from the current version would not be used to having LIs, or advanced traitline boosts, and a lot of other things, but that is what makes it so fun, not being handed end-game things that can be upgraded/replaced without a group. Turbine would never have to touch the server, unless there were a major bug or something, so it wouldn't distract them from upgrading the current game, but it should bring back old players or give current players a chance to play an old version, and give people still playing since back then the ability to go back and enjoy the game from back then if they so choose.
    Baldigar, 105 Burglar on Landroval

It's been suggested a few times before, but it seems highly unlikely to me - I doubt it would have much financial upside. It might even wind up costing them $$.
    • There would be a non-trivial cost to add new server clusters, on the order of 20 high-end servers per world.
    • It would have only modest appeal to old players, and very little appeal to new ones (who would need to pay a subscription to play there).
    • Some current players would go over there, fragmenting the player base... people often leave MMOs because too many of their friends are gone, and "gone" can just as easily mean "gone to a different server" as "gone to play a different game".
    • They can say that they won't do any bug fixes on an SoA world all they want, but players will throw blue-faced conniptions if they don't. That means setting up expensive debug environments and test environments for a substantially different code base than they have now.
    • Special rules servers can wind up as expensive ghost towns... Turbine's had their fair share of that, which is one reason why they don't like to do them anymore.
    Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Dec 01 2012 at 01:35 AM.

To add to Khafar's list...

It would have all the bugs and other issues that existed at the time.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Would you really want a smaller land mass, or a mail box system that is bugged, or no cosmetics? Or 5 bags instead of six? Or not being able to interact with any npcs or doors while mounted? Or running out of quests and hving to kill wargs from level 48 to 50? Or the leveling duldrums that we had in the late 20s to early 30s? Granted, the sliding chair parades would be nice to see again, but that would be it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Same problem as with all the various suggestions for "hard mode," "perma-death," "open PvMP" or any other specialty server: nowhere near as much broad appeal as enthusiasts think.

The good ol' days are merely old.

For what I remembers with Dark Ages of Camelot it did not go over well. People quickly got annoyed with all the bugs and limitations that they forget about. They got annoyed with no channges. No new content. Population dropped so much that after a year the server was turned off.

It is not as popular as some people think. The cost of buying or leasing the hardware, training customer service on what can and can not be done with the retro server, proving two clients to the admins. There is the additional cost of modifying the software to run on the existing hardware and operating systems. There is a cost to get it to work with the existing authentication and accounting system. You have to set up a new patch server.

It is doable. Going to be hard to convince the money folks there is any value. You are spending lots of dollars to provide this feature to the existing customers. It is unlikely to attract a lot of new customers or resubs. It has to be a Premium service. Extra charge.

Do not forget only VIPs can use this server. This software does not support Free or Premium customers. It does not support the Lotro Store. The target audience is rather small. VIPs willing to pay additional dollars a month to play on a retro server.

For a pure Pay To Play game, like WoW it would make more sense. Huge customer base. They are all subscribers. They have extra hardware due to the shrinkage in the game (assuming they have a method to adjust the hardware based on customer utilization).
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    For what I remembers with Dark Ages of Camelot it did not go over well. People quickly got annoyed with all the bugs and limitations that they forget about. They got annoyed with no channges. No new content. Population dropped so much that after a year the server was turned off.

It is not as popular as some people think. The cost of buying or leasing the hardware, training customer service on what can and can not be done with the retro server, proving two clients to the admins. There is the additional cost of modifying the software to run on the existing hardware and operating systems. There is a cost to get it to work with the existing authentication and accounting system. You have to set up a new patch server.

It is doable. Going to be hard to convince the money folks there is any value. You are spending lots of dollars to provide this feature to the existing customers. It is unlikely to attract a lot of new customers or resubs. It has to be a Premium service. Extra charge.

Do not forget only VIPs can use this server. This software does not support Free or Premium customers. It does not support the Lotro Store. The target audience is rather small. VIPs willing to pay additional dollars a month to play on a retro server.

For a pure Pay To Play game, like WoW it would make more sense. Huge customer base. They are all subscribers. They have extra hardware due to the shrinkage in the game (assuming they have a method to adjust the hardware based on customer utilization).
    Hmm, no store would be very attractive to me, but I agree with the other posters that this is not at all likely to happen ever.

Why do you want SoA? SoA wasn't that good really, and the better LOTRO is the better tomorrow, I say! We shouldn't really be going backwards just to satisfy ourselves with content that is shrouded in the past, perfect in memory. It's also pointless since it would require Turbine to look over five years of code which is probably dated by now, to some degree. We are better off moving on.

Onwards to Mordor!
    [CENTER][I]Mephistopholes - Level 100 Champion (Focus: Tank)
    ~Never Alone~[/I][/CENTER]

Many years ago I played FFVII (or VIII. Sad I can't even remember now lol) at every opportunity. I would go to sleep with it paused, wake up and play till time to go to work, and come home and play again. Rarely actually turned it off, because "I'm going to play in four hours when I wake up!" I think I only stopped playing because my ex-bf stole my Playstation lol.

A year or so ago, my roommate told me he had it on an emulator, and after setting it all up excitedly, I turned it off after 10 minutes.

It's the same game but I'm not the same player.

SoA was fun, but we've grown as gamers. We expect more from our games now. While it WAS more challenging, for me at least, that was due to a general lack of skill. Lotro was my first MMO and I was bad. It really was fairly easy (for me and those I played with), once I was yanked from my casual kin and thrust into the hands of those who molded me into an elitist.

While I HATE the LI grind, I love the customizability of them. Cookie cutters ruled the SoA days. You wanted a well-geared toon, you geared one way.

I don't think there would be enough willing to spend any considerable amount of time on an SoA server to make it worth it. You may get the people who occasionally log in to run Rift on-level, but it would be difficult to find groups, with a smaller population and those logging in for mostly nostalgic reasons. Then you have the financial issues. Not only would it cost more than $5 a month per player to host it (due to the much smaller amount of players) but there just isn't the profit there to spend the time doing it. No Store. No expansions. Fewer people playing. No initial SoA cost as there was at the time. Turbine would need a reason (financially) to do this, and I just don't see it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000c5929/signature.png]Naughtymistress[/charsig]

And some creeps. Most of whom shall remain nameless :p

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysmom View Post
    Hmm, no store would be very attractive to me, but I agree with the other posters that this is not at all likely to happen ever.
    I suspect a number of customers would like a server without the Lotro Store. Turbine is not going to like it. I pretty sure Turbine gets most of their revenue from selling Turbine Points to us. Back when Turbine talked some about the Lotro store and subscriptions. Turbine said that Subscription and Store income combined 80 dollars out of a hundred came from the Store and 20 dollars of the hundred came from Subscription fees and Game Time cards.

Between no Free and Premium players. No Store. They looking at 5-10% or less of the revenue projections of a regular server.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMistress View Post
    Many years ago I played FFVII (or VIII. Sad I can't even remember now lol) at every opportunity. I would go to sleep with it paused, wake up and play till time to go to work, and come home and play again. Rarely actually turned it off, because "I'm going to play in four hours when I wake up!" I think I only stopped playing because my ex-bf stole my Playstation lol.

A year or so ago, my roommate told me he had it on an emulator, and after setting it all up excitedly, I turned it off after 10 minutes.

It's the same game but I'm not the same player.

SoA was fun, but we've grown as gamers. We expect more from our games now. While it WAS more challenging, for me at least, that was due to a general lack of skill. Lotro was my first MMO and I was bad. It really was fairly easy (for me and those I played with), once I was yanked from my casual kin and thrust into the hands of those who molded me into an elitist.

While I HATE the LI grind, I love the customizability of them. Cookie cutters ruled the SoA days. You wanted a well-geared toon, you geared one way.

I don't think there would be enough willing to spend any considerable amount of time on an SoA server to make it worth it. You may get the people who occasionally log in to run Rift on-level, but it would be difficult to find groups, with a smaller population and those logging in for mostly nostalgic reasons. Then you have the financial issues. Not only would it cost more than $5 a month per player to host it (due to the much smaller amount of players) but there just isn't the profit there to spend the time doing it. No Store. No expansions. Fewer people playing. No initial SoA cost as there was at the time. Turbine would need a reason (financially) to do this, and I just don't see it.
    I completely understand what you mean! FFVII was released for PC not long ago by Square-enix and I took the time to buy and play the game. As much fun as it was to see dated content and get involved with the game once again, I felt I had out-grown FFVII because my own appreciation of games has changed than how it was many years ago. Our expectations of games have changed, so you can't always go back, but the opposite: forward. I played SoA too, it was fun but there were too many things that were not standardised, not to mention how difficult it was to reach Carn Dum and Urugarth; it took me months to know the way off by heart!
    [CENTER][I]Mephistopholes - Level 100 Champion (Focus: Tank)
    ~Never Alone~[/I][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistophelis View Post
    I completely understand what you mean! FFVII was released for PC not long ago by Square-enix and I took the time to buy and play the game. As much fun as it was to see dated content and get involved with the game once again, I felt I had out-grown FFVII because my own appreciation of games has changed than how it was many years ago.

OFF TOPIC: I must have played and beaten FFVII at least 5 times back in the day. By the Gods, I loved that game. I have the soundtrack on my iPhone.

I tried going back to Ultima 6, my all time favorite RPG and I kept wanting to look for the in game map. (there never was one, you had to buy graph paper for the dungeons)

I just could not go back. To be fair though, I play Civilization II to this day.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    ... I tried going back to Ultima 6, my all time favorite RPG and I kept wanting to look for the in game map. (there never was one, you had to buy graph paper for the dungeons)
    Somewhere about I have an entire 3-ring binder full of graph-paper maps for Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992). How I loved that game. It's now available as "abandonware;" I had it on my other machine that died, Jim, and as soon as either (a) I finish all the quests in RoR or (b) I get a new computer, whichever comes first, I shall start playing it at whiles again. Long before Turbine began Asheron's Call, with its long plot lines and wealth of backstory, Crusaders had a story.

The thing I keep doing ... and it's one of those things that say "you've been playing for too long when ..." is when we're in traffic or something and I keep reaching out to a nonexistent keypad to give myself an overhead view of the highway. Doesn't work in RL.

Reminding me of a cartoon from ... sometime in the fifties, I think. Man and his little boy are standing on a snowy road near their car, which has obviously come some kind of weather-related cropper and isn't going anywhere soon. The man says, "Don't you understand? This is real life. This is what's happening. We CAN'T change the channel."
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

plz do this
    Kornakhas -Defiler, Korbashburz -Reaver, Kortdogestyle -Warg, Kornquickscopamlg - Black Arrow, Kornslurpyourblood - Weaver -Pyrrhic
    Kortahl-Captain, Korthillion-Rune-Keeper, Korthro-Lore Master, Korthallion-Minstrel, Kormornoroth-Champion - The Dark Legion

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Not only would this be cost prohibitive, it simply isn't possible to roll back the code base 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Not only would this be cost prohibitive, it simply isn't possible to roll back the code base 6 years.
    Thank you, Sapience for pointing this out loud and clear.

You know what, guys?

You can't go backwards in time in RL, either.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Not that coding is a 1-to-1 parity to make everything equally possible, but just sayin...

EQ Rolls Back to 1999 with Two Progression Servers
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistophelis View Post
    Why do you want SoA? SoA wasn't that good really

I suspect quite a number of ppl would disagree with that statement.
    Ridduk R14 WL
    Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Gedrevn View Post
    Not that coding is a 1-to-1 parity to make everything equally possible, but just sayin...

EQ Rolls Back to 1999 with Two Progression Servers

These progression servers drew back quite a lot of players at the time, but they dwindled away as players zerged through the content at record speed. The progression servers were eventually merged with one of the regular servers due to lack of continuing interest.

I don't think LOTRO has anywhere near the same number of players (past and present) to make this idea feasible.

For the record - I would absolutely play on a world restricted to SoA. Over the past year I've leveled some new characters up to 50 and kept them locked there with the tortoise stone, but it's difficult to find others to play with.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]