We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Unite

No Unite

So, apparently after todays Hotfix, a certain troll logged in first, made Unite (the most populated and used server-wide channel) password protected, thus creating mass spread confusion and chaos amongst the regular lurkers/players.

I guess it might be a good thing.

Now, GLFF can finally be used, as it is in most of the servers, at least for the time being - until/if people will be able to use Unite again, bringing the positive effects, such as offering newbies, who, at the start of their Lotro path on Vilya, certainly don't know about Unite, (since it's a server's anomaly) a universal serverwide channel where they can ask for help and integrate into the server, not to mention, where they can realise, that Vilya isn't some sort of a desolate depopulated desert, but a medium populated server.
    At least for the time being, if Unite starts being used again.

So, /joinchannel glff , and spread the word.
    Vilya: Healadder (defiler, R10), Kommisar (stalker, R7).
    Snowbourn: Superserial (warleader, R8), Steelstack (reaver, R6).
    Brandywine: Manvet (champion, R10 - Retired); Stargash-1 (reaver, R12)

There are so many people whining about Unite being gone in glff. It's so disgusting.
    I am Blatant, shepherd of cows. And my voice is rather velvety.

Quote Originally Posted by PanickingPanda View Post
    There are so many people whining about Unite being gone in glff. It's so disgusting.
    You're not the one that locked everyone out, are you?

Personally, I like Unite, and it makes Vilya a little more unique out of all the servers. That someone would log into game, and intentionally lock everyone else out is frankly despicable. So no, I don't really want to start using glff, because some jerk came along to ruin it for everyone.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000171132/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yeah.. Isn't there a way to get it back?

GLFF whatever.

This should be a ban, or at the very LEAST a suspension for the moron that obviously knew the result of such an action and did so with full intention of having that happen. Of course that will never happen, but one can always dream. Probably in the best interest for that person's identity to remain hidden - for nothing more than their own protection.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll happen again. Can't fix stupid.
    [COLOR=#696969][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000009436a/01005/signature.png]Medical[/charsig][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=silver][I]Fortune Favors the Bold[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

LOL

Make some new channels

I have enjoyed more then my share of unite drama over the years. but as i read about it.... how about "United"? I dunno, just spit balling.
    "There are things that go bump in the night. We're the ones who bump back." -BPRD

My reaction.
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279975]My first raid idea.[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Lololololololololol

hahahaha funniest unite-related thing I have ever heard

Quote Originally Posted by Manvett View Post
    As far as i know, it was made due to low population crisis on the server a few years back. Since then, the game went f2p, and Vilya was a recommended server for new people a couple of times, thus raising the population.
    As far as you know is wrong. jbarr123 is accurate in his retelling of history. But hey, you've been here since 2011; clearly you know better than the guy who's been here since 2007.

Unite was made as a tool for Vilya Alliance, a group that was formed as a coalition between quite a few smaller kins that didn't necessarily have the numbers to raid. Any kin and therefore any person on Vilya was welcome to join in the events and therefore the channel Unite. For a while after that, Unite gained popularity for a second use: LFM. People were using the channel to fill groups that were already started. So here we have a channel that everyone on the server has easy access to and has wide utility and usership. All the attention-grubbers of course flock to a channel like that and so of course it gets busy. Anyone LFFing at that point goes to where their ad has the biggest audience and presto! Now we have a Unite channel that is as you know it currently.

So now this can be your 'as far as you know'.
    Townsperson says, "I'm having an adventure. I've paddled all the way from Frogmorton!"

Quote Originally Posted by Isharra View Post
    As far as you know is wrong. jbarr123 is accurate in his retelling of history. But hey, you've been here since 2011; clearly you know better than the guy who's been here since 2007.

Unite was made as a tool for Vilya Alliance, a group that was formed as a coalition between quite a few smaller kins that didn't necessarily have the numbers to raid. Any kin and therefore any person on Vilya was welcome to join in the events and therefore the channel Unite. For a while after that, Unite gained popularity for a second use: LFM. People were using the channel to fill groups that were already started. So here we have a channel that everyone on the server has easy access to and has wide utility and usership. All the attention-grubbers of course flock to a channel like that and so of course it gets busy. Anyone LFFing at that point goes to where their ad has the biggest audience and presto! Now we have a Unite channel that is as you know it currently.

So now this can be your 'as far as you know'.
    So how is the "...quite a few smaller kins that didn't necessarily have the numbers to raid..." part different from what i wrote?
    From http://www.unitedraces.net/va/html/history.html , i quote:" The original intention of the channel was to allow smaller kinships to join together in order to fill groups and raids. At the time, The Vilya server had the third lowest total population of the eleven Lotro servers, and it was becoming apparent from within this virtual world that intercommunication among the kinships was going to become a necessity. "

Also, what's up with posts disappearing from the thread?

I wrote a reply earlier to a person that brought up low number of people hanging out in glff today, saying that it was a direct result of people having trouble logging in after the hotfix, and that the players didn't know about it, since there was still confusion about it. With time, im pretty sure, players will hang out in glff as they did in unite, same thing. The name doesn't make the channel, the people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Manvett View Post
    So how is the "...quite a few smaller kins that didn't necessarily have the numbers to raid..." part different from what i wrote?
    From http://www.unitedraces.net/va/html/history.html , i quote:" The original intention of the channel was to allow smaller kinships to join together in order to fill groups and raids. At the time, The Vilya server had the third lowest total population of the eleven Lotro servers, and it was becoming apparent from within this virtual world that intercommunication among the kinships was going to become a necessity. "

It's entirely different. It wasn't a low pop SERVER issue but rather a small KINSHIP issue. These guilds typically did not having enough members to field a 12 or 24 man raid. Rather than disband, they chose to "unite". Hence the name.

Your logic is flawed to begin with. New players don't know anything more about GLFF or any other name you wanted to use over unite. GLFF is no better than Unite as far as a user channel and I for one, prefer to see unite re-born, why would we want to be like every other server?
    [COLOR=#330099][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c010000116763/signature.png]Yum[/charsig]
    freeps: Melwren(mini)/Theodun(warden)/etc. - level 75
    creeps: Yum(warg)/Fallback(BA)[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by shel27 View Post
    It's entirely different. It wasn't a low pop SERVER issue but rather a small KINSHIP issue. These guilds typically did not having enough members to field a 12 or 24 man raid. Rather than disband, they chose to "unite". Hence the name.

Your logic is flawed to begin with. New players don't know anything more about GLFF or any other name you wanted to use over unite. GLFF is no better than Unite as far as a user channel and I for one, prefer to see unite re-born, why would we want to be like every other server?
    I'm sorry, but i disagree at the point that the beginners on Vilya don't know anything more about glff than Unite (i didn't suggest any other names), since it's the main grouping channel on most other servers, and is also frequently mentioned and named in various forum guides in General discussion and Forum sections for newcomers. Bottom line, i condone the person that passworded the channel in the first place, it caused an inconvenience, but it's not a disaster. I don't wanna discover hot water, but qquing all the time on glff about bringing unite back, is an overraction imo. In addition, i just want people to spread the word, join the channel, and hangout/look for groups/chat, as they used to on unite, and move on with their life. Just my two cents.

I'll laugh when GLFF receives a password.

Same kid will likely be responsible for that too.

No good came from this act at all. Heck, if anything it only served to fracture to community between those that like/support the idea behind Unite and those that had something against it.

Anyway here is the childish password that now exists on Unite: zomgXisaTroll

Back open for business.
    [COLOR=#696969][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000009436a/01005/signature.png]Medical[/charsig][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=silver][I]Fortune Favors the Bold[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I started Unite over 5 years ago to get the community working together once public chat channels first became available. Thanks Manvett for the history link above. The term GLFF wasn't in my vocabulary at the time so chose an appropriate name for the new channel at the time and it stuck. And it grew.

Yeah, whoever logged in first and made it password protected is a huge DB. Disrupted probably thousands in communication for their LFM callouts for a short laugh. Way to go.

But sure, we'll as a server use GLFF more now until the next patch. Whatever.

For those using the old as Medical mentioned, it's "/joinchannel Unite zomgXisaTroll".

What a lame password. Couldn't come up with anything even slightly funny? I mean, to disrupt so many hundreds of people you couldn't come up with something at least entertaining?
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post

But sure, we'll as a server use GLFF more now until the next patch. Whatever.

For those using the old as Medical mentioned, it's "/joinchannel Unite zomgXisaTroll".
    The more people that join using the password the higher the chance will be that one of them will be the first back in after the next server reboot, re-establishing the password.

Either consider Unite dead and move to GLFF or those that do want to stay in a greatly diminished Unite just need to all /leavechannel so that it can be recreated without the password.

Even with the password publicly known, I think the population of the channel is roughly 10% of what it previously was, and GLFF numbers are roughly half of what Unite had. Good good DB who put the password on, way to fracture the community; all you had to do when you were done with your game was log out, publicizing the password perpetuated the problem.

Oh good call. So we shouldn't use it at all and it'll clear and return to normal.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I would like to thank whoever did this. I have been planning to do this for years but I had never gotten better then the 3rd spot ;/

Someone may have already said this but if yall wait till the person logs out just join the channel without using a password and it should be good.
    Co-Founder of TEAM F. Turined R9 champ. Mashedtaters R9 Reaver
    Perma-Retired Pre SoM- R9 Hnt. R8 Reaver

Hugs.. Found Unite in the forums.. Hi guys.

Just bouncing around and came across this. I miss the /unite channel , though i have found all my friends in the Glff..
    I have been on vilya for five years. and have never thought of it as a low population server.. though lately, I find more in the high level areas. or the ones in the low area locations are those high levels on their alts. we need to bring more people to the vilya server. We have alot to offer.. and friendly people to quest with. whether its unite or Global looking for fellowship channel. I appreciate manvett putting it out there to those who didnt know,that some jerk had ruined it for alot of people who communicate through that outlet and I refuse to go to any channel where some jerk has put such a lame password. I hope someone finds out who it was and outs them. Im not into debates and such. prefer more of the lets talk it out approach. so .. kick back relax and meet me in the /joinchannel glff and lets talk about it. they have to reset it sometime. let me know, ill be back in then. can we all just get along.... xox Hugs..
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000072e59/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I miss Unite. It was a ad-hoc collection of Vilya all rolled up into one interesting mix. Since the password issue, one naturally believes that only the filth of Vilya has continued to remain therein. I imaginine it's an unspeakable mess by now. That would be a lifetime ban in my books.

It's amusing that an activity done to troll others would be so short-sighted though. With a password on the channel, who but your fellow idiots are you recieving direct attention from? Cheers, and break more than your legs.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C2C2A3][B]ArcticAurora [/B][COLOR=#999966]95 S/B Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Pavello[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 OP Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Canadian[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 Capt[/COLOR] ... [SIZE=1]et alts[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
    [B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]2013 Player Councillor[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B]//[/B] [SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]Rich people would rebuild the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm. Wealthy players fill the great chasm with gold.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/dsrtfx207/rich_zps70199bf0.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

I wish a GM could remove the password from the channel or something.

Thumbs up everyone log out of unite. .for it to reset..

as long as their is one person in unite, it will not reset.. as soon as the room becomes empty one can remake without. Im not about to log into it with a password. when its back up. I will be there. til then. its /joinchannel glff
    Hugs see you in game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000072e59/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast