We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Update 9: Bullroarer Testing Up - No Mac Client Yet

The Bullroarer server is now up for testing of Update 9 and forums for it are now open here.

Sapience posted information for downloading the beta client but there is currently only a link to the PC client available for download (an .exe file) It will not work on a Mac.

The previous Update8 closed beta Mac client was pulled a while back from the Turbine servers (actually via Akamai) so is not available. There does not appear to be a new one up yet for Update 9 but they may have changed the file path or file name format.

I do have the previous Bullroarer RoR Update 8 closed beta mac client and it is not currently working either, just giving an error as it has since the server closed for that phase of testing;

Internal Error, please contact customer support.
    This could be an issue with my client; the server is down (Bullroarer does not necessarily come down when the live Moria server is down for patching as it is currently); updates not yet available for the beta Mac test client; server not yet updated for Mac testing.

Anyone yet able to update and get onto Bullroarer to test Update 9?

If you want to post a query regarding where/ when we will get a test Mac client there is an existing thread on the Bullroarer forum here, to focus attention.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 28 2012 at 09:16 AM.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

You could always go back and run it in Wine.

I had been hacking (unsuccessfully) the old Beta client to run on the Live Servers so I simply re-installed it from the .dmg file (which I had kept). [Hey with Tera-byte disk drives one can be a pack-rat .]

That client patched with no problems, and last night I ran in Rohan (Norcrofts questing) for over 5 hours with zero crash problems!

So, if you still have the .dmg file from the Update 8 beta, simply re-install it and let it patch -- the patch does take "forever."
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I had been hacking (unsuccessfully) the old Beta client to run on the Live Servers so I simply re-installed it from the .dmg file (which I had kept). [Hey with Tera-byte disk drives one can be a pack-rat .]

That client patched with no problems, and last night I ran in Rohan (Norcrofts questing) for over 5 hours with zero crash problems!

So, if you still have the .dmg file from the Update 8 beta, simply re-install it and let it patch -- the patch does take "forever."
    Unfortunately I only have the actual installed app backed up. It just throws up the error immediately when launching the closed Beta BULLROARER LotroLauncher.app.

In fact I am also getting the same message now after todays patch when entering login/pass and clicking Login. Just tried a fresh install from working .dmg disk image and let it patch all the way up. Still doing it. All .plist and com.turbine.lotroclient removed before install.

Not sure quite what is going on. PC client updated and logged no problem via Bootcamp for todays patch. perhaps permissions.

I do notice that on a fresh install and update The LotroLauncher.app permissions are Read & Write for Me (Admin)/ admin Read only/ everyone Read only. On lotroclient.app it is Me (Admin) Read & Write but everyone = No Access.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Managed to sort the error at login with the live beta Mac client and make a new thread for that here. Basically the need to select another Language again in order to accept the new T&C.

I also managed to get past the instant "Internal Error, please contact customer support" quite bizarrely by swapping in the wrong copy of the TurbineLauncher.exe.config. I was trying hacked version of the live one which is quite different, but put an exact copy of the original so not quite sure why that helped Perhaps this file gets corrupted in some way.

Currently patching the RoR mac client and waiting to see if it gets stuck or works.

EDIT: Finally after a lot of hours re-copied the backup Bullroarer closed beta Mac client; replaced the corrupt file and let it patch all the way (faster download this time thankfully). All the way and got to the login/pass stage. Showed Bullroarer as UP then ofc it gives the Internal error message So close. Trying the language fix now.

I suspect the last hurdle is getting it to pop up the T&C agreement windows after the update in order to finally play.

other thing I noticed is that when selecting another language ie GE or FR it then proceeds to download a load of localised files indicating it doesn't do this automatically in the install process. The Bullroarer app is around 200MB smaller so this is maybe why. I dont remember it doing this previously or on live.

EDIT: Finally! Got it working on U9 Bullroarer. had to change language a few times in order to get the T&C windows to pop up in order to enter the server after login.

Unfortunately I only have a weedy 17Kb/sec upload so can't share or post online Keep posting to the Beta forum thread and let's hope Turbine are able to provide an updated download soon.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 28 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Update 9 Build 3 now up on Bullroarer but no Mac client available yet still Hopefully they can sort the issues out so we can get on and join this testing phase soon.

I also found an issue when updating the RoR closed beta Mac client to this latest build. It patches fine and I can login/pass but when loading it stops and displays an error about non compatibility;

Anyone else had this or could they patch to latest build and get onto Bullroarer using the old RoR client?

Yeah I just got this error too. I had been successfully running and updating the closed beta client as recently as yesterday I believe without any problems. But I also received the 'not current version' error this evening. So it appears that somewhere there must be a new version of the client for Bullroarer - but not sure where.

Quote Originally Posted by elbac1957 View Post
    Yeah I just got this error too. I had been successfully running and updating the closed beta client as recently as yesterday I believe without any problems. But I also received the 'not current version' error this evening. So it appears that somewhere there must be a new version of the client for Bullroarer - but not sure where.
    Valamar also has it so looks like it's the closed beta Mac client just wont connect now unless they update it server side.

There is no specific Mac client for Bulloarer testing due some issues they had getting the Mac client running apparently. We keep asking over on the Bullroarer section in the Mac Client thread which is probably all we can do and hope they get it out before the testing is finished; which is probably quite soon.

best add your voice to that and see if we can get an answer.

Interested to know if you found any of the known issues fixed like the chat bug or any more options working? When I tested it there did not seem to be any changes though it ran fine (I am not high enough level for Rohan).

Really not sure why they didn't just keep the U8 closed beta client available to d/l for those wishing to try, as it worked fine at least to test content. And update it server side to let the B3 patched client work.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 05 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Interested to know if you found any of the known issues fixed like the chat bug or any more options working? When I tested it there did not seem to be any changes though it ran fine (I am not high enough level for Rohan).
    I've bugged a number of the "issues" (most are the ones known since Update 8 Beta 1 and 2).
    Other than the few things fixed by Beta 2 nothing has changed.

• /ui layout save
    • /Music files unreadable
    • Loss of input focus after modifying Graphics settings

are the ones which come immediately to mind.
    I didn't bug the Raster display issue, (I don't have one) as that was an actual known issue in Update 8 Beta 1.
    I also did not bug all the individual Graphics settings that don't work (still).

Since Turbine has not announced any of the changes to the Update 9 beta, other than by posting new patch notes, one supposes that we won't see anything before Monday, 10 December; but I'm assuming it will go live on Wednesday 13 December as it contains the Yule Festival, and the 20th is pretty late.

Which is another way of saying -- the odds are good that when Update 9 goes live anyone attempting to use the Mac Client will be out of luck (again)!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Hey guys, I just retried my closed beta version of the client which had errored out (see above post) after Update 9 Build 3, and it started patching again - was there any posting of a fourth build? At any rate, I was hopeful this time around.

I am happy to report I was able log into Bullroarer this time! I wasn't sure what thread to update (we have something like three of them describing client issues I think LOL), so settled on this one. I don't have time to do any more testing right now but just wanted to pass on the news (if it hasn't been passed on already somewhere else).

I have not even tried to download the Steam version of the client right now - I am a little limited on space - but will try that out in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by elbac1957 View Post
    Hey guys, I just retried my closed beta version of the client which had errored out (see above post) after Update 9 Build 3, and it started patching again - was there any posting of a fourth build? At any rate, I was hopeful this time around.

I am happy to report I was able log into Bullroarer this time! I wasn't sure what thread to update (we have something like three of them describing client issues I think LOL), so settled on this one. I don't have time to do any more testing right now but just wanted to pass on the news (if it hasn't been passed on already somewhere else).

I have not even tried to download the Steam version of the client right now - I am a little limited on space - but will try that out in the next couple of days.
    Thanks for the heads up. I have not had a chance to download it yet to try though it did start the patch process when I quickly launched it.

No news of a new U9 test patch. So either that or a Mac specific fix to get us on Bullroarer.

EDIT: ~17MB app patch to new version 0900.0050.7717.8021 lotro_u09_0, so further iterations. Seems to be updated lotroclient.app and Awesonium updates. Then some updates to .Dat files.

Glad it's working whichever!

EDIT: Working here also. Looks like we can at least test Bullroarer. Still no news on a downloadable Mac client for Bullroarer for those without the closed RoR beta Client.

No obvious fixes for chat bug, disabled antialiasing, slider settings or troubleshooting from a quick look.

EDIT: Getting some pretty bad clipping issues in Bree (ie at different zoom and angle whole buildings become translucent and only some windows etc. left), which I had noticed before but seems widespread throughout Bree.

EDIT: Seems that disabling Spectral Lighting fixes most of these issues. Same in live 8.0.1 except the issues are not so obvious as with the new buildings and more lighting effects now in Bree. It also resolves an issue I get on live with 'flashing' shrub plants bright/dark in landscape.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 11 2012 at 04:54 PM.