We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ACCOUNT STOLEN - Please, HELP!

First and foremost, I know this isnt an issue that anyone will be able to solve. Not directly. I am posting this here hoping that someone from their support SEE this and actually DO something. I've found posts of people with same problem claiming to have waited about 10days for a reply.

**The matter is that my account was not only hacked, but STOLEN.**
    Since saturday I opened 2 tickets regarding this issue and so far I got no answer from support.

I quit LOTRO in oct/2010 as far as I remember. I have 2 serials attached to my account: the SoA special editon and MoM collector's edition.

What happened so far: saturday I downloaded/reinstalled the game and to my surprise, when I tried to log in, I got the invalid password/username warning many times. Then I though "heck, perhaps I forgot my password" (hardly, since I use 2 passwords for all my mmo accounts). I requested my password and waited.
    Nothing.
    No e-mail.

Then I request my username using myturbine. Now here comes the funny part. I have 2 games attached to my e-mail: DDO and LOTRO. When I asked for my usernames attached to this e-mail, I only got the one from DDO, my username from LOTRO was absent. I have an e-mail from the same service dated from sep/2010 where you can actually see BOTH usernames listed.

Took me sometime to figure what happened at first... It's the kinda of thing you dont expect that happens to you EVER (maybe I am naive but I've been playing mmos for over a decade now and that never happened).
    Then I finally figured that:
    1 - The account was hacked.
    2 - The hacker changed the account's e-mail (so I cant request a password).
    3 - The hacker changed my password.
    4 - The account was stolen.

So far Turbine did not answered my tickets. I spent all these 2 days checkin my mailboxeach 30min, sometimes less. I am quite upset actually since I used to be a subscriber, my account was created back in 2008 and even purchased both games way before they become f2p... I dont care if the ******* stole my ingame money and items, I can work on all that again, I just want my character/account back... For many reasons, including all my special items attached to those 2 serials and everything I've unlocked with that toon.

So please, HELP ME, answer this ticket, tell me what to do, tell me you guys are working on something there, I am sure you can see that both account were attached to this e-amail. I can provide any proof necessary that both usernames ARE mine and WERE attached to this e-mail.

And by the way, I just created this account so I can post this problem here.

Ticket number is #24001-359359

Thank you.

- A player

Last edited by Kalel76; Nov 26 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Were you a player on the European servers run by Codemasters? If so, did you go through the migrastion process when Codemasters stopped running LotRO and Turbine took over?

If you did not, then your old account is no longer accessible and is lost.
    [COLOR=Red][B]TANSTAAFL[/B][/COLOR]

There is one part you don't say in your thread.
    And it is probably the part that will solve this issue

The Account you quit playing from in 2010 ....
    Was the Account with Codemasters or with Turbine?

Looking at your join date here on the Forums
    I would hazard a guess that your Account was with Codies

If that is the case then your Account has NOT been Hacked, Deleted or even Stolen
    Your Account has been lost due to you not Migrating your Codies Account over to the Turbine World Service

I didnt mention because that was not the case. Read carefully and you will see that I purchased both SoA and MoM, both games were registred on Turbine and I used to play on Brandywine server. I even mentioned that I request my username using myturbine back in 2010 and I have this e-mail till this very day.

But thanks, guys. The account was indeed stolen. I am trying to get it again. And so far, no reply from turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Malindruel View Post
    Looking at your join date here on the Forums
    I would hazard a guess that your Account was with Codies
    Like I also said,
    *** And by the way, I just created this account so I can post this problem here.***

I created THIS account in order to post this very thread and try to get some attention from my issue. My account, the one that was stolen, as I also said, is from 2008, just like mine from DDO.

Turbine just ended a four days off starting Thursday, November 22, 2012 for Thanksgiving. They had phone support on Saturday and Sunday. Today would be the first opportunity to look at a email ticket. I believe it is a three working day turn around. You should get some response Wednesday, November 2, 2012. Gosh only knows how many tickets are ahead of you that you put in on Thursday and Friday that have to be done before they get to yours.

The quickest way to get a response is to call Turbine on the telephone:
    http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/contactUs.asp
    instead of using the support site to send in a email ticket.

Hopefully, you supplied enough personnel information so that Turbine can search the accounting database in an attempt to find all the accounts that belong to you. You need to convince Turbine you really are the human that you claim you are. Plus there needs to be enough information that they can find your accounts.

All such inquiries are handled via phone call or email ticket via the support site. The only response you will get here is that you need to contact account support. You might be lucky enough to get a response saying "Your ticket is open. Please wait for an official response to be sent to the email address that you provided in the body of the ticket. Due to high ticket volume. Do not expect an answer before xxx."
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 26 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Thank you very much, I will wait 'till wednesday then. Making a phonecall is out of question since I live in another country and english is not my first language. But thanks, I will wait...
    I am very upset with this issue... I just want my character/account back and play LOTRO again, I am very found of this game and I worked so hard in many things there, like that "the undying" title... took me about 20 tries to reach lvl10 without dying. I am not the kind of player that have many alts, I just have one character in almost all mmos I play. I just cannot afford lose such time and even money invested (both SoA and MoM editions WERE expensive back then).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalel76 View Post
    Thank you very much, I will wait 'till wednesday then. Making a phonecall is out of question since I live in another country and english is not my first language. But thanks, I will wait...
    I am very upset with this issue... I just want my character/account back and play LOTRO again, I am very found of this game and I worked so hard in many things there, like that "the undying" title... took me about 20 tries to reach lvl10 without dying. I am not the kind of player that have many alts, I just have one character in almost all mmos I play. I just cannot afford lose such time and even money invested (both SoA and MoM editions WERE expensive back then).
    One other thought that no one has mentioned - the number of characters required for account passwords was increased some time ago. Since you haven't played for some time, it could be that your account is fine but that your password is out of date and needs to be updated. Your best bet is talk to Account support and ask if it could be the password issue, rather than account stealing/hacking. I rang them from the UK, it took five minutes and was very straightforward. Good luck!

Red

What happened so far: saturday I downloaded/reinstalled the game and to my surprise, when I tried to log in, I got the invalid password/username warning many times. Then I though "heck, perhaps I forgot my password" (hardly, since I use 2 passwords for all my mmo accounts).
    First-off, I'm sorry you're having trouble and I hope you get your characters back. However, what you said about using only 2 passwords for all of your MMO accounts may be the root cause of your issues. You really should have a unique password for every game, period.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    First-off, I'm sorry you're having trouble and I hope you get your characters back. However, what you said about using only 2 passwords for all of your MMO accounts may be the root cause of your issues. You really should have a unique password for every game, period.
    Thank you for your concern but:

1) there are no "issues", just one. And concerning Turbine's LOTRO. I have accounts in almost ALL western MMOs released in the last 10 years (Age of Conan, Ultima, Champions Online, DDO, Secret World, The Old Republic, "Diablo III", APB, just to name few) this never happened. I am not blaming them (although they HAVE their share of responsibility regarding security in this case, just like the user), I am mature enough to know this kinda of thing happens and I even found these days that a major hack happened in 2011, perhaps my acc was stolen then, I dont know. I am telling you this was not - at all - cause by using an unique/2 password/s for my accounts, since they proved to be very secure in all these years.

2) What you said is a matter of taste, not securuity. Security means that a good password has letters/numbers mixed and nothing logical like birthdays etc. But I am sure that 90% of people here know that.

And btw no one, ever, even my girlfriends, had acess to any of my accounts. Not even my brother.

Actually it's a known thing that if a hacker gets hold of a valid username-password combo for an MMO it can and will be tried against other MMO's. So (for example) if your TOR user/pass was compromised, and you had the same pair for LOTRO, it's not Turbine's fault that they can log in. Guild Wars 2 in particular got a massive amount of hackers trying compromised combinations just to fish for matches.

Similarly, reusing your email account password anywhere is a bad idea, because if your email becomes compromised, pretty much every other online account you have is then at risk.

It does seem strange that - if indeed your account was hacked - The email address attached to it could be modified without an email sent to the old one asking for confirmation (or at least warning of a change).

Anyway, Turbine should get back to you in the next few days, so good luck.

2) What you said is a matter of taste, not security. Security means that a good password has letters/numbers mixed and nothing logical like birthdays etc. But I am sure that 90% of people here know that.
    Initially, that's true. Using the same password multiple places doesn't make any one of them more likely to get hacked while the others are still secure. However, it does make them dependent on each other. If indeed your LOTRO account has been hacked, then you should consider that password to be compromised and all your other accounts that use the same password are at risk. You should probably change your password on all the other MMOs that you use it on. This is particularly true if they also share a common username. (If they have different usernames, and only the password part is the same, it's a bit safer, and you might get away with continuing to use that password, but I'd still recommend changing it to something else to be on the safe side.)

Anyway, I wish you good luck. Hopefully, Turbine's customer support team will be able to get you your account back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brya View Post
    It does seem strange that - if indeed your account was hacked - The email address attached to it could be modified without an email sent to the old one asking for confirmation (or at least warning of a change).
    Strange indeed. That I cannot answer, but I can pretty much prove to them - if they actually MAKE contact - that both accounts (DDO and LOTRO) were attached to this same e-mail. And I can also provide the cardnumber used to purchase points spent on LOTRO back in 2010.
    BTW, so far nothing, the other user told me to wait till wed, so I am waiting... But man, its so frustrating... As I said, I dont even care if the hacker stole all my money and items at this point anymore... I just want my toon with my achivements. Thank you for your words.

@Brya, I am sure its not necessary, but I am indeed considering change all my passwords since yesterday. Thanks.

Could it be that you had a Codemasters Account and were playing on the Europe Servers? If yes, then i got a good and a bad information for you. Good one: You may not have been hacked/hijacked. Bad one: You missed the transfer (June 2011 i guess). Your Account is lost. (Transfer CM - Turbine was already discussed in 2009 btw)

On October 12th, 2011 the forums where down for a day.

When Lord of the Rings went Free to play Turbine made game account and forum passwords the same.

When Turbine took over Codemasters European accounts it appears that in their rush to merge companies that they left a back door open to the account database.

The big rumor is that public access to Account info was public for months.

a thread about it: http://###################/forum/topi...l-forums-down/

Quote Originally Posted by llRaidenll View Post
    Could it be that you had a Codemasters Account and were playing on the Europe Servers? If yes, then i got a good and a bad information for you. Good one: You may not have been hacked/hijacked. Bad one: You missed the transfer (June 2011 i guess). Your Account is lost. (Transfer CM - Turbine was already discussed in 2009 btw)
    But... But... But this was already discussed here... Check my response to the second poster, mjk47. My acc was NEVER european, it was always from Turbine itself. I even have serials of Shadows of Angmar Special Edition and Mines of Moria Collector's Edition attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
    On October 12th, 2011 the forums where down for a day.

When Lord of the Rings went Free to play Turbine made game account and forum passwords the same.

When Turbine took over Codemasters European accounts it appears that in their rush to merge companies that they left a back door open to the account database.

The big rumor is that public access to Account info was public for months.

a thread about it: http://###################/forum/topi...l-forums-down/
    Ah interesting info indeed... Well I played for sometime after the game became f2p and I am almost positive that this hack happened in 2011 or so, since I was an active player till late oc/2010. But you never know...

BTW its wednesday and so far NOT A WORD from Turbine. I wander what should I do at this point.
    Last edited by Kalel76; Nov 28 2012 at 10:56 AM.

BTW its wednesday and so far NOT A WORD from Turbine. I wander what should I do at this point.
    They've probably got a larger backlog than usual because of the long weekend, so it might be a few more days before you hear anything from them.

This is Kalel76. I finally recovered my account wich was INDEED stolen last night. I actually phoned them (something I didnt want to do) and got my account back.
    Now I need to know 2 things:
    - There is a compensation politics for this issue, how can I contact them ingame and request?
    - I totally forgot 2 things: how do I sprint (run faster) and how can I claim some special items attached to my account (bonuses from collector's edition).

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rique76 View Post
    This is Kalel76. I finally recovered my account wich was INDEED stolen last night. I actually phoned them (something I didnt want to do) and got my account back.
    congratulations
    Now I need to know 2 things:
    - There is a compensation politics for this issue, how can I contact them ingame and request?
    not exactly sure what your referring to here but you can raise a ticket at the support portal or ingame if your a ViP player
    or if your still missing items which id guess you are you should follow the advice here
    Account Hacked/Stolen - Info to Keep it From Happening, & What to do if it is Stolen.

you will need to submit a ticket for each character which has items missing, the ticket needs to be filed under reimbursement

- I totally forgot 2 things: how do I sprint (run faster)
    depends on your class most toons only have 2 speeds run and walk, which can be toggled using the (iirc)del key.
    if your hunter using find the path skill or warden fast march skill allows you to run slightly faster than normal. theres also several items if they still exist which give a tiny boost to your run speed,, by tiny i mean less than 10%

and how can I claim some special items attached to my account (bonuses from collector's edition).

Thank you!
    if your entitled to any bonus items you should receive the bonus items automatically after the codes been activated, on occasion you may need to log the toon into the game world a few times for all items to appear. if old toons exist which are missing the items use /reclaim in the chat window, makesure you have enough free slots to receive the items

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    congratulations

not exactly sure what your referring to here but you can raise a ticket at the support portal or ingame if your a ViP player
    or if your still missing items which id guess you are you should follow the advice here
    Account Hacked/Stolen - Info to Keep it From Happening, & What to do if it is Stolen.

you will need to submit a ticket for each character which has items missing, the ticket needs to be filed under reimbursement

depends on your class most toons only have 2 speeds run and walk, which can be toggled using the (iirc)del key.
    if your hunter using find the path skill or warden fast march skill allows you to run slightly faster than normal. theres also several items if they still exist which give a tiny boost to your run speed,, by tiny i mean less than 10%

if your entitled to any bonus items you should receive the bonus items automatically after the codes been activated, on occasion you may need to log the toon into the game world a few times for all items to appear. if old toons exist which are missing the items use /reclaim in the chat window, makesure you have enough free slots to receive the items
    Thank you, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me, but I do remember being able to "run faster" toggling something, that include sprinting with a horse. I am a guardian BTW.

About the "claim" issue, my toon claimed all special items back when he was created, I am just curious if I can re-claim any stuff and, since I am considering purchasing the Rohan xp, how will I claim the bonuses. I tried /claim but nothing poped... I really dont remember how I claimed them back then.
    Last edited by Rique76; Nov 29 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Thank you, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me, but I do remember being able to "run faster" toggling something, that include sprinting with a horse.
    You mean you clicked something and your character got on a horse? You can find that in your skills list (K is the default key) and click the Mounts tab.

About the "claim" issue, my toon claimed all special items back when he was created, I am just curious if I can re-claim any stuff and, since I am considering purchasing the Rohan xp, how will I claim the bonuses. I tried /claim but nothing poped... I really dont remember how I claimed them back then.
    You missed two letters, it's /reclaim.

Quote Originally Posted by Total-MAdMaN View Post
    You mean you clicked something and your character got on a horse? You can find that in your skills list (K is the default key) and click the Mounts tab.
    Oh no, I mean just run faster. I know how to summon the horse and my skill for that is still where I setted.

On foot or on a non-war-steed, 'Insert' toggles run or walk.

On a war-steed, 'Insert' cycles through 4 different speeds.
    [CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<< Co-founder of [I][U][SIZE="4"]The Firebrands of Caruja[/SIZE][/U][/I] on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

You mention special items. Is one of them the Harbinger's Cloak? That gives you a speed boost when activated.

Oh no, I mean just run faster. I know how to summon the horse and my skill for that is still where I setted.
    I *think* guardians have a skill called something like "Charge" that allows them to run a very short distance very fast. You should read the tooltip for all your skills to find it.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast