We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Graphical Glitches

I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Nvidia Geforce 7300gt(256mb) to a Ati Radeon 5770(1gb). I have experienced to major graphical glitches. Both Occurred in instances and were spontaneous and were fixed by restarting the client.
    1. In a Great Barrow Maze run random grey walls would appear in the hallways of the instance, I could walk through them but I couldn't see through them at all.
    2. In a Dungeons of Gol Duldor run, a certain wall turned black and selectable objects(ie doors) became yellow when I looked at it.
    I was told this was a driver issue, but seeing as macs dont really have drivers that change, I dont know how to solve the problem.

Note: Nothing of this sort occurred before I changed cards.
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Mac Attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan583 View Post
    I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Nvidia Geforce 7300gt(256mb) to a Ati Radeon 5770(1gb). I have experienced to major graphical glitches. Both Occurred in instances and were spontaneous and were fixed by restarting the client.
    1. In a Great Barrow Maze run random grey walls would appear in the hallways of the instance, I could walk through them but I couldn't see through them at all.
    2. In a Dungeons of Gol Duldor run, a certain wall turned black and selectable objects(ie doors) became yellow when I looked at it.
    I was told this was a driver issue, but seeing as macs dont really have drivers that change, I dont know how to solve the problem.

Well I'm NOT a computer Geek, so My Solution is strictly from Common Sense...
    I run a Dual ATi Radeon HD5770 in Crossfire, and I have Found I tend to get away from the Game's "Auto-Detect" Function and do Graphics Setup Manually. So (and I know this is a bit time consuming), but start in Graphics, and set everything One Level Lower, one selection at a time, until you Either get your "Issue" resolved, or the Graphics Enhancements as You think they should run...
    If during the "Step-Down" Process, You click on a Change, and all of a sudden get a WOW, that spruced it all up Graphic Response, then You leave that setting alone, and Go Back to your Last one, and step it back up, and Proceed back to the Beginning One Selection at a Time until you get to the Starting point, if at any Point You run into a Glitch in Graphics then that Setting is too High...Once You have that all done, with No Hangs, or Glitches, then You should be good to go...**Note** In-between Setting Changes allow some Time to go by and run your Graphics through several different Scenes, BEFORE making another Change...I have found Moria and Lothlorien to be Graphically Challenging because of the Color Shifts (My Opinion of Course), and GB (Great Barrows) seems to be a Decent Challenge on Graphics for an Instance....
    Discussed this with some Friends that have Macs & Radeon and they said if that doesn't solve your Issue, then You may want to go to MAC and Trouble-shoot from there, as These Users don't feel it's a Graphics Card Problem... Good Luck!!
    [IMG]http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro.jpg?&lo=4z09088k34pd1&t1=MANWIN&t2=Guardian%20-%20Man&t3=Lord&l=100&u=powerfulfriends.guildportal.com&k=has%20Powerful%20Friends&i=lh3.googleusercontent.com/Sxv3PsPHgFL3ypFXzR1J6g3GaGCpFX7X6YbFAh37NSk[/IMG]

I'm not sure you will want to read this but checking on your previous system setup details;

Mac Pro (1,1 2006)

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
    And then checking on Apple support of this model Mac Pro and the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card;

Symptoms
    You may notice display anomalies or issues playing back video or other HDCP-encoded content when you use an ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card in Mac Pro computers released before the Mac Pro (Mid 2010).

Resolution
    The ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards are supported only on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models. They are not supported in earlier versions of Mac Pro.
    source: Mac Pro: Using ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with Mac Pro released before 2010

From reading before that using it is possible but that doesn't mean it will work correctly for all functions including video computer games etc.

So in answer, really there may be ways to get it working properly but it is not going to be easy and I can't see Turbine being able to offer much in the way of advice or support if Apple wont itself.

I don't want to be negative but just to identify first the core issue. I would not be surprised if other graphical glitches do occur with the beta Mac client. I have not done many instances to check myself. But whether this is down to the above, or an issue in the game it's hard to say.

I suggest to take screenshots and attach them to a Ticket and see if they can help. And check around online to see if there is any user advice for using the card in the Mac Pro 2006.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Red_1 View Post
    and I have Found I tend to get away from the Game's "Auto-Detect" Function and do Graphics Setup Manually.
    The auto-detect function in the Mac Client was documented to "not work" since the first beta.

I don't recall from the beta if it was not yet implemented, or simply did not work correctly.

According to Sapience, Beta for Update 9 should begin next week. so we'll see what (if anything) changes or is documented.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Nvidia Geforce 7300gt(256mb) to a Ati Radeon 5770(1gb).
    Keep in mind, that while the Mac Pro allows one to pick-and choose Graphics Cards, Apple support for them is pretty poor -- and none of the card manufacturers provide drivers (let alone updates) for OSX.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

My graphic card is AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, and the most glitches like flickering textures definitely in Moria Maps. Wooden floor textures seem to me has a problem. But its beta =)

Try switching off Post Processing Effects in the Advanced Graphics options. See if it makes a difference. Seems to, at least for a quick fix for the multi-colour glitches.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Try switching off Post Processing Effects in the Advanced Graphics options. See if it makes a difference. Seems to, at least for a quick fix for the multi-colour glitches.
    Didn't work for me - in fact turning off post-processing made it much worse. I tried turning it on and off but both were glitched. So I restarted the client and that improved things substantially. It could be it depends on the graphics card in use - I'm on a 2010 MacBook Pro.
    "Someday I'm going to move to Michel Delving and leave all this behind." - Hobbit in Waymeet

[IMG]http://www.48ovvi.org/misc/dawnwen.jpg[/IMG] WINDFOLA

Quote Originally Posted by dealwyn View Post
    My graphic card is AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, and the most glitches like flickering textures definitely in Moria Maps. Wooden floor textures seem to me has a problem. But its beta =)
    While testing today with Bullroarer I noticed something which appears to be the root cause of the flickering light bug, at least the issues I have seen on live.

If I use LOTRO to set optimal settings it sets everything all to highest levels which probably reflects my higher end setup and graphics card. This method is not very reliable though yet in the beta Mac client but generally my system handles it np with FPS at around 50-60 in normal use.

But I do have this issue of flickering in the landscape, some shrubs glowing bright then dark as you move past them etc. What solved it was disabling Specular Lighting;

Options > Adv Graphics > Specular Lighting [off]

I leave High Quality Lighting on because, although it does have a few inconsistencies, overall it adds a lot to the environment.

Of course settings are dictated by your set up so what works for newer high end systems wont for others. But if you have this issue try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    What solved it was disabling Specular Lighting;
    Thanks for the tip!

I tried it but it didn't do anything for me. What DID work for me was turning off Glow Mapping. In fact, I turned it off and it cleared up all the day-glo stuff on my screen and then I turned it right back on and everything still looked good. Well, at least I have something to try now when things get too crazy.

EDIT: Since my screen goes quickly dark when I turn Glow Mapping on or off, I suspect what's really going on is that it is resetting my graphics card which clears the problem. It may not have anything to do with Glow Mapping per se. Altho, turning Post Processing on and off didn't help me and that, too, blanks the screen.
    Last edited by donworth; Dec 12 2012 at 04:08 PM.
    "Someday I'm going to move to Michel Delving and leave all this behind." - Hobbit in Waymeet

[IMG]http://www.48ovvi.org/misc/dawnwen.jpg[/IMG] WINDFOLA

Quote Originally Posted by donworth View Post
    Thanks for the tip!

I tried it but it didn't do anything for me. What DID work for me was turning off Glow Mapping. In fact, I turned it off and it cleared up all the day-glo stuff on my screen and then I turned it right back on and everything still looked good. Well, at least I have something to try now when things get too crazy.

EDIT: Since my screen goes quickly dark when I turn Glow Mapping on or off, I suspect what's really going on is that it is resetting my graphics card which clears the problem. It may not have anything to do with Glow Mapping per se. Altho, turning Post Processing on and off didn't help me and that, too, blanks the screen.
    Glad it's working for you now!

Always worth going to basics with these sorts of things. Setting all Low then working your way up. I also find that disabling High Quality Lighting resolves some of the 'flickering' of buildings and objects as I move. But it really makes a difference to the landscape and think I'll leave it enabled but SL off to resolve the birght bushes issues. It's all a balance.

Hopefully Turbine will get some real work done on these graphics options for the next update because it is a shame to be disabling features even more when quite a few are already non functioning. Still, again it all needs to be considered with the set up a player has.