Please read this entire thread before posting, for your sake and my own.
Legendary Solo Build: Memories of the first age. - Separated from your companions you draw upon the songs and stories of the first age to inspire you from despair.
Captains have been tethered and balanced upon the following equation - (captain power = Personal contribution + Group buffs). There is nothing wrong with this equation, and it is good that we are balanced this way, however there is one major flaw. If we are not in a group then our total power is cut in half. There are 2 notions expressed on these forums that are particularly telling in this regard.
1. Leveling a captain is slow and arduous, the dps is poor.
2. We are an alting class. Or in other words the captain only logs in when a group is made, then logged out after.
Over the past year we have seen two major requests on the forums.
1. make heralds useful.
2. give us dps. (this has always been denied because we are tethered to the above equation)
Our current Developer, DEviled_Egg has truly made some head way here, more so than I have ever seen before. However we still have a long way to go, and we share that developer with other classes who also need work.
The only way to fix the solo captain is to allow the ability to alter this equation. The only way to alter it while keeping the balance it entails is to create a new legendary trait...Memories of the first age. What this trait would do is subtract from "Group buffs" and add that same amount to "Personal Contribution" in such a way that the net total of "captain power" remains the same. By maintaining the same total the world around us remains in the same balance.
How the legendary would be added.
IDOME would drop off the legendary trait line and become a skill available without traiting. This would open up a free spot for a new legendary trait. This would allow us the room to have a capstone, while only having to choose between a defensive legendary or an offensive legendary. This is the only way I see to get this in, if you are concerned about the value of IDOME please see our threads on the subject from the captain library.
Summary of Memories of the first age.
We can currently have blade brother on us and a banner down, but we have to have a player in our group. Memories of the first age would allow us to do the same thing without a group and have a herald out.
Banner - When a banner is equipped both the internal and planted buffs are applied without planting, banner is un-plantable
1. Herald armor is dropped entirely, all heralds become oathbreakers (Heralds are not currently powerful enough to make two different kinds and no one wants to walk around the battlefield with some homeless guy carrying a sign). You may now summon an oathbreaker herald at anytime or traitline. While Memories of the first age is traited heralds banner auras are turned off.
2. Herald dmg matches weapon type. Example if you have beleriand then your herald will do beleriand
3. Give herald reasonable finesse and agility (fix miss avoid chance).
Blade Brother - While Memories of the first age is traited brother skills become a toggle and locked onto yourself and the herald. Brother skills cannot be applied to the group. SOW becomes toggled to on at 15% and To Arms is reduced to 12.5% dmg (effectively half to-arms power throughout S/bb/sb) and is toggled on at all times.
Battle shout has a 50% chance to slow for -10% run speed for 10seconds.
Last stands cool down is reduced to 5m (command set to make that 4m). It no longer prevents death, but gives us a 2.5k morale bubble for 1m and a 2min power POT. This is a value nerf to last stand, but an effective buff to it because Laststand is completely useless to anything but newbs who don't know they can't kite the 15s out with nothing to fear but battleshout.
TLDR what value did we get?
1. We can now have a herald along with our banner
2. We reduced the miss avoid chance of herald, which can be 33% through agility and finesse on a "heavy" creep.
3. We altered Last stand in such a way as to make it useful. A value nerf but effective buff, only applied while traited.
4. We have oathbreaker heralds in any traitline.
5. We now have a ranged slow that will allow us to reach a perma kiting opponent and increases our slow to a competitive level.
6. IDOME, gets used again for things other than skirmishes.
What miscellaneous value did we get?
1. We removed banner plant, and it's consequential 268 power cost per plant
2. We removed the need to replant the banner and lose 2s every time something moves outside it's range.
3. We removed the conflict with morale banners planted value only occurring in range. Example if you are surprised by a creep then you have no planted value.
4. We removed Hotswap emblem>Hotswap weapon>cast strength of will>cast To Arms>hotswap back>hotswap back out of our rotation while trying to defend ourselves against creep or npc attack or just plain battle prep before every attack.
What did we lose.
1. Banner aura for other players.
2. Any brother skills for other players.
3. Last stand as we know it. Only altered when legendary is traited.
4. massive amounts of non dps battle prep and power lost to banner planting.
*This is play style neutral. Other than getting IDOME for free, captain mechanics as they currently exist can be entirely maintained by not traiting Memories of the first age. If your getting hung up on IDOME please see our IDOME threads, you can find them under the "Legendary Traits" section of the "captain resources" section.
*This thread is meant to convey concept. Consider all value changes Dev-balanced within the equation, ex herald dmg, BB etc.
*While reading this thread you may wish to read the dev diary for Guardians as it will be referenced a lot under the assumption that the reader understands the ROR changes.