We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lore-breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Soarel View Post
    I'm level 34 and so far, the only things I've seen that "break" the lore are:
    Just as one example (of many): take a wander around the Shire and note that there are mobs there, when there shouldn't really be anything hostile. Yes, I know, MMO and all that but still, lore-break.

The fundamental premise of the game is that you (or you and a small number of friends with whom you are in a fellowship) are going around doing all these other things. Presumably, you're supposed to ignore the fact that hundreds of other player characters are doing the same thing. Obviously, right up until the time Sauron is defeated, there are not a bunch of other independent adventurers taking part in the action. So you just have to accept that difference, in order to have the game at all.

With that exception, being true to the lore means having a world in which there is nothing that necessarily cannot be a part of the world of Middle Earth as written by Tolkien. Within the limitations of the possible, I think the game does a pretty good job of keeping to the lore, given the circumstances.

Also, keep in mind that in myth, different versions may differ in specifics; so that there is no uniquely "true" or "untrue" version of the myth. I think the game keeps within the spirit of the books (except for the mob-of-adventurers aspect) at least as well as the movies do (and probably better).
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by gradivus View Post
    I think the game keeps within the spirit of the books (except for the mob-of-adventurers aspect) at least as well as the movies do (and probably better).
    Not so much. It's not just the mob-of-adventurers aspect, it's the accompanying loads-of-stuff-for-the-mob-to-do aspect and Turbine trying too hard to be different that have distanced it from the original.

Example: the Shire of the movies is rather closely akin to the Shire of the books, although perhaps a bit more twee. The Shire of the game features giant slugs, evil Dwarves, Goblins, brigands and so on. It's all that bit more 'gamey' (in a very mainstream sort of way), which of course is no surprise at all but does mean that the movie is actually closer to the original in that respect. The movie also beats the game hands down when it comes to making Bag End look the part.

Bree is another case in point. The Bree of the movies isn't really the Bree of the books but then the Bree of the game isn't, either. Wrong-looking architecture (the Prancing Pony doesn't match the book's description), paved roads, even a fountain - a mayor and guards and great big houses and all that, in what's supposed to be nothing more than a large village.

When it comes to the House of Elrond, the movie wins hands down. The game's version has really weird architecture, and the Hall of Fire is nothing like how it's described; they've combined it with the other hall, the one the feast was held in. And I don't recall any mention of shiny marble and what-not; Sam felt comfortable in Rivendell, but I doubt he'd have found all those shiny, shiny floors and gaudy hangings at all comfortable because he was after all a hobbit of simple tastes.

Oh, and they've made a complete dog's dinner out of Meduseld. Not in the spirit of the original at all whereas the movie version just plain rocked.

I was looking through Tolkien 'Letter' and there's a brilliant rant/letter to Forrest J. Ackerman about a Lord of the rings film script(1958).

One of the complaints that occurs in PJ's version:
    "Strider does not 'Whip out a sword' in the book. Naturally not: his sword was broken. (Its elvish
    light is another false anticipation of the reforged Anduril. Anticipation is one of Z's chief faults.)
    Why then make him do so here, in a contest that was explicitly not fought with weapons?"

You can find 'Letters' here if you wanna read more of his written anger : http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader...olkien.pdf.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3