We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

They should change the name of Devastating Blow

To something a little more fitting. How about "Sometimes Devastating Blow"? Or, "Sometimes Devastating Blow But More Than Likely Not", or "Occasionally Devastating Blow", or my favorite "RNG Devastating Blow".

I kinda wish they wouldn't make the "Devastating" part of this ability dependent ON a crit or devastate. When it doesn't devastate, it's a terribly weak ability.

Devastating

If it crits, it devastates your foe. If it does not, you are devastated.

Yeah, every-time I use it I'm devastated at how small it hits for lol

I don't think it should be renamed. I just think it should be improved.

Really? I crit with that skill a lot. But my crit rating is very high + the added traits. Even if it doesn't crit its still one of the strongest skills we have.

Even if the name can be misleading in terms of damage output. The animation isn't. The 2 handed sword and hammer is a blow right to the top of the head.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000006c3a/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    ..Even if it doesn't crit its still one of the strongest skills we have. ..
    And that's sad, very sad. Look at the damage of our skills. Now look at the difference in damage between Devastating Blow and Sure Strike, Cutting Wound, and Defensive Strike. Would you call that a big improvement? I sure wouldn't.

Not to mention, Cutting Wound and Routing Cry both scale horribly with level. Cutting Wound's dot only goes 0-1 damage a tick per level.

Devastating Blow doesn't have gigantic base damage value and thus may appear to have been mis-named. In fact assuming no crits, you get more damage from the combined two swings of Pressing Attack than from Devastating Blow. The advantage of Devastating Blow (and reason for it's name) is that when it would normally trigger a critical hit (1.5x max damage) it automatically upgrades that to a devastating hit (2x max damage). If you want that skill to do lots of damage, build for crit chance and it becomes a fairly powerful attack (11% of the time or whatever you can get your crit rating to). Or if you really want to do lots of damage, then you'll probably need to pick another class.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Aurochs View Post
    ...11% of the time or whatever you can get your crit rating to...
    Why you think you can get your crit to 11% only? Even with the bosses' over-lvl85 level and their crit defence, it should be a lot more.
    How my class panel says, I have 25,5% crit chance... In four red traits ofc. But the trait that gives plus 1717 crit rating to Devastating Blow (and Pressing Attack) plus the legacy that gives (max) 720 crit rating to Devastating Blow, I am real close to 30% - I have only my (2h)sword as a lvl 85 one, my emblem is still a RoI one - both are 2nd age ones. So on my sword there is the ralic giving 680-something crit, the rune giving 590something crit, and the crafted relic giving 600-something crit. On my emblem there are some old lvl 75 ones, so after getting a symbol for that one too, i gonna get my crit rating for Devastating Blow to real near 13150 rating=30% crit - so the max available for a cpt. (I gonna be missing about 30-40 crit rating only - two Earrings of Wrath Unleashed gonna help. )

The advantage of Devastating Blow (and reason for it's name) is that when it would normally trigger a critical hit (1.5x max damage) it automatically upgrades that to a devastating hit (2x max damage).
    This is at least half wrong. Devastating Blow was a skill at launch, and at launch, there was no such thing as a devastate, only crits. So there's no way that's where the name could have originated. As for the other half, I don't use DB enough to notice--have all DB crits been set to 200%?
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

I have made a few devasteteds with DB for 5k+ damage in skirmish raids, but normal crits dont reach that size, they are like 3-4k+...
    (No OB, but all other buffs I can do on my cpt.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    This is at least half wrong. Devastating Blow was a skill at launch, and at launch, there was no such thing as a devastate, only crits. So there's no way that's where the name could have originated. As for the other half, I don't use DB enough to notice--have all DB crits been set to 200%?
    Ok. I was not here at launch and really have no idea why they named skills what they did, so I apologize for making that inference incorrectly. However, I do believe the mechanic is correct. I have never seen a normal critical hit with Devastating blow. Always the "Devastate" text floats up with the number when I get a critical with that skill. I do not have combat analysis or anything to prove that I did not just miss seeing regular crits, so I could still be wrong and would love it if someone else could confirm my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Berf View Post
    Why you think you can get your crit to 11% only?
    11% was just a random number. I am away from home, so I can not log on and see what mine actually is right now, so I tried to pick a number that I guessed was easily achievable. I was in no sense implying that 11% was an upper limit, hence why I included the phrase "or whatever you can get your crit rating to." Whether you are at 11% or 30% does not really matter since both are significantly less than 100%, which was my point in that comment.

Ok. I was not here at launch and really have no idea why they named skills what they did, so I apologize for making that inference incorrectly. However, I do believe the mechanic is correct. I have never seen a normal critical hit with Devastating blow. Always the "Devastate" text floats up with the number when I get a critical with that skill. I do not have combat analysis or anything to prove that I did not just miss seeing regular crits, so I could still be wrong and would love it if someone else could confirm my theory.
    I just did a 6659 hit yesterday with DB, without OB again...

Just got a 7309 devastate with Shadow's Lament in BETA - no OB, plus my legendary weapon had no titles on it, so it was a coomon damage hit...

I say, it would be better to call shadow's lament DB. Or just make all crits of DB be a devastate...

While I can understand the basis of your argument, I think that if anything ought to be renamed, it should be our red line. I never understood why LtC isn't called Master of War instead just like our capstone. It is just a little bit annoying and maybe OCD on my part, but HoH is named like the capstone as is LoM. Just my input, it might be unfounded considering other classes' traitlines and their capstones dont match, but I think that might fit a little bit better since 2 of ours match already as it is ^_^
    [center][IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/dc62au.jpg[/IMG]
    [color=#FF00FF]Creeps: Highly Unimpressed, Babyasparagus, Schleichend | Blood Hand[/color]
    [color=#FF00FF]Freeps: Euphonious-1, Enthralling/-1/-2/-3, Mellifluous-1, Tantalizing-1, Xiexieni | Revolution[/color]
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by QueenArleth View Post
    While I can understand the basis of your argument, I think that if anything ought to be renamed, it should be our red line. I never understood why LtC isn't called Master of War instead just like our capstone. It is just a little bit annoying and maybe OCD on my part, but HoH is named like the capstone as is LoM. Just my input, it might be unfounded considering other classes' traitlines and their capstones dont match, but I think that might fit a little bit better since 2 of ours match already as it is ^_^
    +1 to this, and yay for OCD . I had a thread going about this a while ago.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."