We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Sonsy and the One Ring

I figured this was a good place to post this since people here are crazy about lore.

*Spoilers if you haven't started the Rohan Epic*

Before you leave Lothlorien on your journey to Rohan, you peer into Galadriel's mirror and witness a portion of the breaking of the fellowship. The Ring is featured prominently, first as Frodo contemplates his course of action, and then in using it to escape Boromir.

The thing I can't remember is when our characters first learn that this whole thing is about a ring. It seems that for a long time, we knew that the Fellowship was on a mission of great importance and were given various tasks to try to help them out, but we were not important (or trustworthy) enough to be told what that mission was, exactly. I think the story of the Ring has come up, but not the specifics in terms of what it had to do with the current events.

Does anyone remember when our characters were let in on the secret? Or, did Galadriel just essentially blurt it out to us now? Granted, she puts a disclaimer on it by saying that what we saw may or may not happen, but still.

(You'd think that I'd brought enough characters through the Epic to this point that I'd remember, but I could have missed it since obviously *I* know about the Ring.)
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sonsy 85 Hunter[/COLOR];[COLOR="#008000"] Lodellee 85 Minstrel[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#B22222"]Bellamee 85 Guardian[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#006400"]Tennac 84 Champion[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#DAA520"]Sunnwyn 78 Captain[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#cccccc"]Missgrey 76 Lore-master[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#0000FF"]Pwnie 55 Burglar[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#996633"]Meowzen 48 Warden[/COLOR];[COLOR="#EE82EE"] Elsbetha 12 Rune-keeper[/COLOR]
    [B]Leader[/B] - Protectors of the Free [I]and [/I]Free of the Protectors - Firefoot

In Book 1 Chapter 7, when you visit Crickhollow, Fredegar Bolger tells you that Frodo has the one ring and you tell Lenglinn the ranger the information. As far as I can remember that is the first time your character hears anything about the ring.
    Last edited by Suefred; Nov 19 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000323e2c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Suefred View Post
    In Book 1 Chapter 7, when you visit Crickhollow, Fredegar Bolger tells you that Frodo has the one ring and you tell Lenglinn the ranger the information. As far as I can remember that is the first time your character hears anything about the ring.
    Hmm...well....that WAS a long time ago, lol! I should have remembered that Fredegar spilled the beans, since the fact that the crebain overhear him is what motivates much of the rest of Book 1. I'd only thought back as far as Rivendell, where Gandalf and Elrond are rather non-specific regarding the issue at hand.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sonsy 85 Hunter[/COLOR];[COLOR="#008000"] Lodellee 85 Minstrel[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#B22222"]Bellamee 85 Guardian[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#006400"]Tennac 84 Champion[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#DAA520"]Sunnwyn 78 Captain[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#cccccc"]Missgrey 76 Lore-master[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#0000FF"]Pwnie 55 Burglar[/COLOR]; [COLOR="#996633"]Meowzen 48 Warden[/COLOR];[COLOR="#EE82EE"] Elsbetha 12 Rune-keeper[/COLOR]
    [B]Leader[/B] - Protectors of the Free [I]and [/I]Free of the Protectors - Firefoot

Fellowship of the Ring, The Mirror of Galadriel -

'What shall we look for, and what shall we see?' asked Frodo, filled with awe.

'Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal' she answered, 'and some I can show what they desire to see. But the Mirror will also show things unbidden, and those are often stranger and more profitable than things which we wish to behold. What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannon tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?'
    The Mirror works in mysterious ways. I think that even if Fatty hadn't let the cat outta the bag, the Mirror could show us things we did not already know about. Just a thought.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Fellowship of the Ring, The Mirror of Galadriel -

The Mirror works in mysterious ways. I think that even if Fatty hadn't let the cat outta the bag, the Mirror could show us things we did not already know about. Just a thought.

Hehe...I'd thought of that as well. The Mirror may have its own reasons for showing me what it did, and if Galadriel didn't question it (other than adding the standard disclaimer), then I guess it's ok.

Besides, I suppose that Sauron essentially knows about the events at Amon Hen anyway since Frodo caught his attention by using the Ring, so I don't necessarily have any truly incriminating information. Well, except that I now know that Frodo's intention is to destroy the Ring. I think I'll be extra careful not to be captured by Sauron's minions, lest I divulge any secrets under pain of torture. Sauron getting wind of the plan and deciding to put a guard at the entrance to Mt Doom could really muck things up down the road!

I think the Ring is (secretly) mentioned to us several times throughout Volume 1 (best Volume evar), by Elrond and Gandalf (maybe).

Also, we saw the Fellowship leave for Mordor in a quest. Also, our characters have done 40 times more work than any fellowship member, so we're pretty Middle-Earth-smart.