We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    From everything I have seen, this particular problem is a pure communications problem.

I haven't experienced this problem for quite a while now. However, in the past all I have had to do is to quit the client and power-cycle everything. iMac, Router, Modem.
    (I'm Ethernet connected, not WiFi.)
    Thanks for your reply, Valamar.

I have an integrated router/modem, and it's not only been power cycled but reset. So have all the computers and the whole extended network. I connect hard-wire ethernet on the Win machines, and WiFi on the mac. I tried ethernet connect on the Mac but it didn't change anything. I'm in communication with Tech Support and they've suggested some things to try. I'll post here when we uncover the solution. I'm not opposed to having the modem/router replaced, if all roads lead to it being the problem.

Thought I should add, for those players who rag on Tech Support, that they've been responsive and knowledgeable. Although the problem is frustrating, it's been a pleasure working with the support team.

UPDATE: After trying a number of things and determining that my modem/router might be the problem, Turbine Support suggested I tether the mac to my iPhone to access Lotro through that network. It worked perfectly - connection to the game was immediate ("tm" in the filenames included) and logging in and playing was flawless. So Valamar was right that this is a communication issue, not solvable by filename changes. In my case it's a problem with the integrated modem/router. It might be as simple as a software glitch that my service provider can handle remotely, I'll have to see. Kudos to Turbine Support for their courtesy, responsiveness, and knowledge.
    Last edited by BentoIce; Feb 10 2016 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    UPDATE: After trying a number of things and determining that my modem/router might be the problem, Turbine Support suggested I tether the mac to my iPhone to access Lotro through that network. It worked perfectly - connection to the game was immediate ("tm" in the filenames included) and logging in and playing was flawless. So Valamar was right that this is a communication issue, not solvable by filename changes. In my case it's a problem with the integrated modem/router. It might be as simple as a software glitch that my service provider can handle remotely, I'll have to see. Kudos to Turbine Support for their courtesy, responsiveness, and knowledge.
    I suspect that the problem is a pure routing problem internal to your ISP's network.
    I doubt that it has anything to do with your Modem-router.
    When you switched to a tethered Cell-phone, you switched ISP networks, so your success makes perfect sense.

The goal when you power-cycle the modem/router is to force that device to acquire a new set of routes from the ISP, nominally by virtue of your devices getting new DHCP addresses from the ISP.

Minimally, this requires you to have your modem router powered off for long enough for your "DHCP Lease" to expire, usually at least 60 seconds.
    Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.

This particular set of events is undoubtedly related to the DataCenter move. The DNS propagates IP address changes to those portions of ISP networks who "subscribe." However many ISPs do not rely upon the DNS to propagate routes throughout their networks. Most common is the tendency for ISP Techs to "fix problems" by the use of "static routes." The problem with these Static Routes is that they do not Update when the DNS changes. Many times they do not need to change, more commonly there are those Static Routes which have worked fine for years and have been forgotten, and still need to be updated manually.

It's the kind of a problem that keeps the NOC (Network Operations Center) folks busy and well paid!

And all of this will be compounded by the fact that since you have successfully done the recent update, you probably will NOT be able to reproduce the problem again!
    Which means that any successful resolution will require that you manage to talk to someone in the NOC who knows how things work -- which is usually 3rd or 4th Tier Support and extremely difficult to talk to! Best luck I've had reaching such folks has been early Sunday Mornings when only on-call folks are working
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    And all of this will be compounded by the fact that since you have successfully done the recent update, you probably will NOT be able to reproduce the problem again!
    Knowing how hard it is to diagnose an intermittent problem, I guess I'm "lucky" that the problem is entirely repeatable - Lotro connects through the phone network but still times out attempting to log into the game through our home internet. So it's not just the patching that gets hung up, it's trying to get into the game at all. I was pretty assertive with the first level support at my ISP. I described the problem in detail and requested escalation. They honored that request and have a tech coming out. I'm sure that, one way or another, the problem will be resolved - either the tech will try a new modem/router and we'll have the same issue, or the new modem/router will solve it. If we have the same issue, they'll need to work from the routing end.

By the by, I downloaded a game to my iPhone just a few days ago for our grandson to play, and that game also will only connect via the phone network. It's an older game and I assumed it was just not up to current technology. After discovering this connection issue with Lotro I decided to contact support for that game. Found out that this problem is pretty unique to me, meaning they don't hear from many players having connection issues. So I think I have a pretty strong case for my ISP that *something* on their end is to blame, and it's now up to them to resolve it.

Whatever fixes the issue I'll post the results here, in case others have similar issues.

UPDATE: To complete the process here, my service provider came out and replaced the old Dory D3 modem with an XB3. That change solved the problem of not being able to log in to Lotro, and fixed other odd connection issues with 2 other games. Whether it was the older model modem that was the problem, or something that went wrong with the modem internals I can't say. I'd guess that Valamar is correct that a reboot of the modem/router/computer would solve this issue for most players. In my case it was the integrated modem/router itself causing the problem. It is good to know that the filenames aren't the issue, though changing them did have an initial impact that appeared to solve the problem. I guess things have changed a bit since 2012 when this thread was first started. Anyway, good luck to anyone experiencing this problem in the future!
    Last edited by BentoIce; Feb 12 2016 at 06:02 PM.

I just found out this thread and I'm running in the same issue on my MacBook Pro Running macOS 10.13.3.

This is a clean installation on a new user, as I wanted to get rid of the Steam installation.

Testing with a different connection (my phone's) as opposed to the WiFi I used to download most of the 25GB of the app data does not make any difference.

I also tried to open the launcher using terminal directly, but that brings me to the same situation as well.

This is the LotroLauncher.log content:

2018.02.26 18:33:10[W] Data Center URL: QUrl( "http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" )

2018.02.26 18:33:10[W] QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
    2018.02.26 18:33:10[W] QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
    2018.02.26 18:34:17[W] ElevateProcess - failure: Not windows environment!
    2018.02.26 18:34:17[W] PatchFlow::OnPatchProductResul t - failure!
    2018.02.26 18:34:17[C]
    2018.02.26 18:34:17[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure
    2018.02.26 18:34:17[C] ../../../../src/engine/client/patcherui/patchflow.cpp, 70 [ "There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file." ]
    2018.02.26 18:35:17[W] PatchFlow::OnDataCenterUpdated - InitPatchClient failure - strError: ""
    2018.02.26 18:35:17[C]
    2018.02.26 18:35:17[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure
    2018.02.26 18:35:17[C] ../../../../src/engine/client/patcherui/patchflow.cpp, 70 [ "" ]
    2018.02.26 18:36:20[W] ElevateProcess - failure: Not windows environment!
    2018.02.26 18:36:20[W] PatchFlow::OnPatchProductResul t - failure!
    2018.02.26 18:36:20[C]
    After the last line the log continue repeating itself from the first entry for "PatchFlow::AdmitFailure". If I close and relaunch the launcher, a new log file is created, while the old one is renamed.

Do anyone has another suggestion to try?

Also is there a link for a full download of the application in one go instead of using the launcher to download piece by piece?
    Last edited by Andrea_Mosconi; Feb 26 2018 at 02:40 PM.

I got this too. I was downloadin it in a cafe with good wifi. It got to a certain point where it said download was fully done but then when I tried to launch the 'luancher' it gives me this same message.Also- update error occured. Server Connection Times out. It looks as though some end of line something is missing in what was downloaded. Serves me right for multitasking.

No news on this as far as I can tell. They've just told a bunch of us to go shove off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4