We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Nevermind. It ran updates, loaded 90+, then hit the same error message on the last file.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaeg View Post
    I played yesterday morning without issue, but then in the afternoon I had this bug pop up. My workaround was slightly different.

Renaming the app without the TM didn't work, but rather after I removed the "TM" from the package contents (/Contents/Resources/The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM) it began to patch without issue.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000266dd6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post

2. Navigate to Contents >MacOS >LotroLauncher (LotroLauncher.app if extensions are shown) and double click to launch directly. This will automatically open Terminal and run the launch sequence. This should result in you reaching the Login/Password stage ready to enter the game.
    My terminal spits this out as well:

$ /Applications/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/LotroLauncher ; exit;
    initLogOutput - opening log file: "/Users/dvaeg/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log"
    objc[3875]: Class NSUserDefaultsWrapper is implemented in both /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/patchclient.dylib and /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEPatchClient.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    logout

[Process completed]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000266dd6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My terminal spits this out as well:

$ /Applications/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/LotroLauncher ; exit;
    initLogOutput - opening log file: "/Users/dvaeg/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log"
    objc[3875]: Class NSUserDefaultsWrapper is implemented in both /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/patchclient.dylib and /Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEPatchClient.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    logout

[Process completed]
    Yep, that's normal as it invokes Terminal when launching an executable file and just shows the same messages you see in the usual message on the Class NSUserDefaultsWrapper.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Formengil View Post
    The solution would be for the launcher to elevate its privileges using Authorization Services. This causes the OS to pop up a dialog asking for an administrator's name and password, and if they are entered correctly, allows the app the perform the requested action (like updating itself).

I think you should /bug it.
    It's possible to workaround it with options like this but all require the user to have the Admin login/pass which is not usually available to those in this situation, otherwise they may as well run as Admin.

That LOTRO requires admin access each time it launches is down to the way it checks all the files each time (and rewrites the splash screens each time currently). It is not unique in that behaviour. WoW also does the same and requires an admin account to avoid similar issues.

It's certainly worth /bug it even if it is just to raise awareness of the issue though.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

what am i doing wrong?

hi, i've followed the instructions and removed the "tm"--but when i click on the renamed application, it turns to an ejectable image that i can't rename, and the error loop persists.

i'd love to play, but should i just trash the downloaded launcher .dmg and (gack) download it all over again?

much thanks in advance

bump up again
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

None of this works i can't even get through the patching process.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000024e883/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My client is doing this, but I am running the steam client, now whenever I go to change the '™' by 'show package contents' all I get is the following… Contents>MacOS>Run.sh and other than that theres only one other folder which is the resources folder, am I missing something? Or are the Lotro files hiding somewhere else?

I played yesterday morning without issue, but then in the afternoon I had this bug pop up. My workaround was slightly different.

Renaming the app without the TM didn't work, but rather after I removed the "TM" from the package contents (/Contents/Resources/The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM) it began to patch without issue.
    This worked for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorini View Post
    My client is doing this, but I am running the steam client, now whenever I go to change the '™' by 'show package contents' all I get is the following… Contents>MacOS>Run.sh and other than that theres only one other folder which is the resources folder, am I missing something? Or are the Lotro files hiding somewhere else?
    I don't have the Steam install so can't help with paths for that I'm afraid. Valamar has it I think so hopefully he can help.

Only thing is to ensure you are looking in the System Applications folder not the User one;

/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app
    not

~/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app
    (i.e. /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app, where xxxxx is your account name.

I see from a brief download to test Steam it does have that in the User Applications folder which is the wrong one;

~/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app/Contents/MacOS/run.sh
    Or Steam may keep the app somewhere else entirely!

This isn't working for me..

I have the Steam version, which should make no difference - as I understand, the Steam version is identical and the Turbine software handles all patches and such.

Steam puts an shortcut type application in ~/Applications and the actual game and data in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings Online/

So in that folder I've changed the The Lord of the Rings Online™.app (truly lotrolauncher.app) to The Lord of the Rings Online.

Now the only thing that seems to change is Steam can no longer find the Game Executable to launch it, but that doesn't really matter.

So after that fails I've also tried changing the actual Game Client (not launcher) which is /The Lord of the Rings Online™.app/Resources/The Lord of the Rings Online™ (truly lotroclient.app) to The Lord of the Rings Online.app

When I change this one, the launcher actually starts to download files to patch, but it's created a new lotroclient.app to replace the renamed one it thinks is missing. By the time it finishes, this second client is 2.4 or so GB and after Login and server selection the game still fails to launch because of missing files.

P.S. The splash / teleport screen download workaround sticky also doesn't work for me, and I assure you it isn't simple user error. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    (i.e. /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online.app, where xxxxx is your account name.

I see from a brief download to test Steam it does have that in the User Applications folder which is the wrong one;

Or Steam may keep the app somewhere else entirely!
    See the next post from "ktJwmQvKrK"

Steam does put a proxy (actually an "app-wraped" shell script) in "~/Applications" -- which is actually fairly stupid as "~/Applications" is not normally found in the sidebar, and is pretty "invisible" to most users as the Finder Preferences places "/Applications" in the sidebar. For the user to get to "~/Applications," one must first navigate to your home directory and then to the "~/Applications" -- Intuitive only to us Unix types. (~/Applications" is an artifact from a previous version of the "Apple Way" -- previous to OSX. I suspect it is a lack of Mac Knowledge on the part of Steam, or whoever packaged the app for them.

I'll have to pass this along to Mirthgar and see if Turbine is doing the packaging or can get Valve to change it.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by ktJwmQvKrK View Post
    I have the Steam version, which should make no difference - as I understand, the Steam version is identical and the Turbine software handles all patches and such.

Steam puts an shortcut type application in ~/Applications and the actual game and data in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings Online/

So in that folder I've changed the The Lord of the Rings Online™.app (truly lotrolauncher.app) to The Lord of the Rings Online.

Now the only thing that seems to change is Steam can no longer find the Game Executable to launch it, but that doesn't really matter.

So after that fails I've also tried changing the actual Game Client (not launcher) which is /The Lord of the Rings Online™.app/Resources/The Lord of the Rings Online™ (truly lotroclient.app) to The Lord of the Rings Online.app

When I change this one, the launcher actually starts to download files to patch, but it's created a new lotroclient.app to replace the renamed one it thinks is missing. By the time it finishes, this second client is 2.4 or so GB and after Login and server selection the game still fails to launch because of missing files.

P.S. The splash / teleport screen download workaround sticky also doesn't work for me, and I assure you it isn't simple user error. Any ideas?
    I think the first thing to remember is that this solution was posted to resolve an issue with the direct beta Mac client download from Turbine. For that it works for most people. For some others there are other permissions issues.

Now that the Steam client is out there seems to be a related issue which is not being fixed by this solution for which it was not intended. As both you and Valamar have confirmed, Steam places folders and files in different locations from the Turbine download and it is not the same install as it has other data also added to, for instance, the User Applications folder (the run.sh)

I would imagine it is still a permissions issue or related to the font used in the titles but which probably needs a different solution. Also, it seems the Steam version does work for a fair few that have downloaded and use it. This indicates again that it is a permissions or other such issue.

It is probably better to make a new thread outlining the Steam specific issue so we can try to find a fix for that and this thread does not get too confused. As I do not have a Steam install as my Turbine install works for me, I can not help directly. If I can find the time to download it I will but my broadband is not such a large capacity.

It would also help if posters included details of the Mac they are using, the system setup (graphics card etc.) and OS X version. Without these it is a lot harder to identify specific issues.

This Steam issue needs to be raised as a separate ticket also with Turbine, as Valamar mentions so that they are made aware of it and can look to resolve it also.

I have added a note on this solution/s not necessarily working on the Steam download.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 25 2012 at 11:50 PM.

A fix in sight?

This is what I did with my Steam install to make it work:

Go to your Steam library and perform a secondary click on The Lord of the Rings Online™.

Select "Properties", then navigate to the "Local Files" tab. Now select "Browse local files."

Congratulations, you have found the Steam location for LotRO! Now rename this application, "The Lord of the Rings Online™" to "The Lord of the Rings Online" (without the quotations of course).

Perform another secondary click and this time select "show package contents". Navigate to...

Contents-->Resources-->The Lord of the Rings Online™

If you are like me and you have file extensions DISabled, then you should see two files named "The Lord of the Rings Online™" within the "Resources" folder. The one we want to rename this time is the 20+ Gb file, not the other one, so check the "Size" column to make sure you are renaming the right one. For those of you familiar with the extensions, this is "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app", not "lotroclient.app".

Keep the second file named "The Lord of the Rings Online™" (lotroclient.app) just the way it is.

This fix allowed my client to begin patching once more, but I'm still in the middle of updating. I will update this post as soon as I know definitively, but hopefully this will help you guys figure out the issue.

Useful info thanks! Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Steam fix!

Dear Mac users & Steam downloaders and all the rest of you,

First of all: I'm new to this board and this game, so greetings to all!
    And now for something completely different: I had to get my thoughts off some stuff today so I spent some time searching for a solution for the Steam problem and IT WORKED! I ran all updates and after some tricks I managed to get the program running and was able to play the game.

It looks quite complicated, but it's not that hard (it takes a while though). Just follow these steps to the letter

Just to be clear, I think this fixes two possible problems: 1) LOTRO crashes right after "checking files", at the beginning of the update, 2) the update error retry loop mentioned at the beginning of this topic

1) Download LOTRO with Steam. For me this was the only option since the official lotro.com download seemed to crash after a few GB each time... So it was quite frustrating that, after I finally managed to download the whole thing with Steam, that it still didn't work - hence my steadfastness to fix it

2) Locate the LOTRO application in the Steam directory. For me this was: /users/<yournamehere>/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/Lord Of The Rings Online. Note that the users/<yournamehere>/library folder is a hidden directory - however you can easily access it by opening Finder, clicking 'Go' in the top menu, and selecting 'Go to Folder'.

3) Personally I moved the app file inside the folder (The Lord of the Rings Online™, which is actually named LotroLauncher.app if you do secondary click and 'get info') to my main Application folder, but I don't think that's really necessary for the rest of this fix. I just want to get rid of Steam afterwards to have a nice and clean LOTRO install in my Applications folder rather than hidden away somewhere in some secret library.

4) Now, secondary click the app The Lord of the Rings Online™ and click 'get info'. Make sure the actual filename under 'name and extension' is "LotroLauncher.app", not The Lord of the Rings Online™ although it seems to be that way in Finder. I don't know if you have to change this, I just switched the name a few times during the search for a fix and I don't know whether it was originally like this or not. So, just check if the 'name and extensions' is LotroLauncher.app' while inside Finder it's The Lord of the Rings Online™.

5) After this, once again, secondary click on the app The Lord of the Rings Online™. This time, chose 'show package contents'. You're now inside the application's folder.

6) Enter the 'contents' folder, then go to 'resources' and look for the The Lord of the Rings Online™ app file. It should be about 20 GB large (I'm NOT talking about the main The Lord of the Rings Online™ or LotroLauncher.app, I'm talking about the one INSIDE the 'package content' - contents/resources/ - of that one. Make sure you differ between these two, it's essential to this fix) . If you secondary click it and click 'get info', under 'name and extension' it should say LotroClient.app instead of The Lord of the Rings Online™ like in Finder (same as the thing with 'LotroLauncher.app' which is also called The Lord of the Rings Online™ in Finder). If this is the case, you've found the right file. Hurray!

7) Okay, now change that file's name. Doesn't matter how you name it. I named it "lotrobackup" and I'll be using this name in the rest of this walkthrough. By the way, now we're about halfway through. Exiting!

8) After you changed the name, try to run the program by opening the central The Lord of the Rings Online™ app (the secret "LotroLauncher.app"). If just opening this central app in the Applications folder (or inside the Steam folder) doesn't work or immediately crashes on startup, look for the direct LotroLauncher. It should be located in the 'package contents' of the main The Lord of the Rings Online™ app (so not the one you just renamed), in contents/MacOS/. I had to switch between these two launching methods a few times during the fix, so I don't know exactly which one will work. But one of the two definetely does! If not, just try renaming all these files again a few times and then follow the previous steps again. Eventually, it'll work - for me it also failed a few times but I'm not sure it was because I didn't have all these steps fixed at that moment or that it just needs a few tries. In any case, after a few renames I arrived at the setting I described above and it worked.

9) When you run the app, it will immediately begin updating. Seems like we're making progress! It'll first download (a &&&&load of) files, then fix itineraries (or something) which goes quite fast, then download .dat files which again takes a bit longer. This whole process will take a LONG time, if you just keep staring at it you'll only survive it if you're a freakin' real-life Elf or something, so best thing to do is find something to eat (preferably something you can put in the microwave) get a couple of beers and download and watch The Hobbit to get into the atmosphere. I recommend inviting a chick cause the movie's got some awesome bunnies in it and chicks dig bunnies (at least the ones I know) so you'll be getting good points. Anyway I think it spent some 2-3 hours with me for a little more than 2 GB, so don't worry and let your Mac do its thing. (I hope mentioning the movie has got bunnies in it isn't considered a spoiler here. If it is, I'm truly sorry )

10) Anyway, while you're downloading the update and The Hobbit, let's make sure if you're on the right track. Go to your Applications (or Steam) folder, secondary click on The Lord of the Rings Online™, 'show package contents', go to contents/resources (the folder where you changed that one name to "lotrobackup"). Notice that, next to your "lotrobackup", a new app file is created. It's named The Lord of the Rings Online™, exactly like "lotrobackup" before you renamed it! That's the stuff that is downloading. Someone already replied to this thread saying that for him (Steam downloader apparently) the update just creates a new file when he uses the fix(es) described above - it's exactly like that (I can't tell who since I'm writing this while I'm on the train and won't have any internet until I'll be actually able to post this. So credits to whoever said that thing, you put me on the right track to get this done!). Don't worry about that though, we'll fix it later!

11) When your download is finally done, your movie watched and the chick fast asleep, we get to the tricky part - which incidentally is NOT trying to screw the chick while she's asleep, you creep. Get your &&& in front of your Mac again. Inside your the main The Lord of the Rings Online™ app 'package contents', at contents/resources, you now have two app files: your "lotrobackup" and the recently downloaded The Lord of the Rings Online™. For both of them, show their package contents in two different Finder windows. Both have inside them one folder called 'contents' (seems a little identical to the main The Lord of the Rings Online™ app, so it's quite confusing). Now, drag the "contents" folder from the newest package (i.e., The Lord of the Rings Online™) into the 'package contents' of "lotrobackup" (NOT the other way around). However, make sure you merge them, not replace the contents folder in "lotrobackup" with the one from The Lord of the Rings Online™ or all our work is lost. Merging is done by just dragging while holding the option (alt) key (at least in Lion or Mountain Lion. If you have an older OS X, you're screwed: you're gonna have to manually merge the folders). Also look at step 10 before you do this!

12) When trying to merge these two 'contents' folders, Finder will ask you if it should a) stop, b) "keep most recent files" (or something like that, I don't know how it translates in English), or c) "replace all". Click "keep most recent files". Now, what this does is, it replaces all old content inside "lotrobackup" with the newer files from the updated contents of The Lord of the Rings Online™, without removing all the ones that are not updated in the new The Lord of the Rings Online™ app. To verify if you did the right thing, check if the "lotrobackup" is still 20+ GB after you did this (it should be a little larger now since you merged the two contents).

13) When this is done, return to the package contents of the main The Lord of the Rings Online™ app. Go to contents/resources again. Now, delete the The Lord of the Rings Online™ app (the update). And change the filename of "lotrobackup" again to the original one: LotroClient.app. It should rename automatically to The Lord of the Rings Online™ in Finder. If not, just name it The Lord of the Rings Online™, secondary click it to 'get info', and change the text under 'name and extension' to LotroClient.app'.

14) So, what we did was in short: we downloaded the update in a different .app than the original one, and we merged them afterwards, rather than updating the original app files in one go. And in the meanwhile we watched an awesome movie and had a chick sleeping over. Such a productive day!

15) Run the main app The Lord of the Rings Online™. It'll again download a few updates (but don't worry, this won't take as long as the previous one at all ). When this is done, chose a world and click play. IT WORKS!

Now for a little bit of philosophy why we had to do this irritating work just to enjoy a game. My best guess is that somehow the LOTRO updater (at least for the Steam version) is not able to directly overwrite files inside the The LotroClient.app. It can create new files however, so after we changed the name from The Lord of the Rings Online™ (or LotroClient.app as it's actually called), the updater was able to download all the needed files into a new location. Then we merged the two, replacing the outdated content inside the old The Lord of the Rings Online™ app (now "lotrobackup") with the new content from the update, after which we set renamed back to how it was originally.

It took me from 12 o'clock 'till 7pm to figure this out. Conclusion: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY UPDATE LOTRO!

Angry Still stuck

So I tried removing the TM, tried going straight to the terminal and none of those worked....It stopped saying "an update error has occurred", now it says "check product" and then it freezes and stops responding....This is the 3rd time I have uninstalled/reinstalled too.

Any thoughts?

Angry Dat files

Now I am stuck on loading Dat files....not happy...

any thoughts?

Game Issues

As I took of the "tm" from the Contents it began to patch without issue. But after I patched it and when I tried to log in it created a game error where the info I had was invalid. It says it cant open data files and that I should check if I have permission to write them. What should I do?

Exclamation Error: fix not found

None of the solutions in this thread have worked for me. I have re-installed multiple times, following the directions in the original post. I am running the normal (non-Steam) Mac client downloaded during Beta. I would try re-downloading, but my internet is so slow that it would take days and I would likely get a corrupted installer.

This problem "An Update error occurred" is a Turbine problem. (A problem with patch.lotro.com).

It DOES effect both the Mac Client downloaded from Steam as well as the one downloaded from lotro.com.

Downloading or installing a new copy of the client will NOT change the result.

The problem is with Turbine's Patch servers.

If you look at the log file... before you launch the client....

In a terminal window type.

tail -F ~/Library/Logs/LotroLauncher.log.

Leave that window open while you launch the Mac Client.

After a few "normal" messages, concurrent with the client displaying "An update error occured" you will see: "Server connection timed out".

Yes, Turbine's Patch servers are failing to respond before the timers in the Mac Client run-out.

I've made some gross timings using WINE and a wall clock over the past 2 days, and it has taken a average of about 4 minutes for the patch.lotro.com to respond. With traceroutes showing 20 ms or less response times!

The problem is at Turbine's end, and there is nothing we can do at the client end to fix it.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zogog View Post
    This is what I did with my Steam install to make it work:

Go to your Steam library and perform a secondary click on The Lord of the Rings Online™.

Select "Properties", then navigate to the "Local Files" tab. Now select "Browse local files."

Congratulations, you have found the Steam location for LotRO! Now rename this application, "The Lord of the Rings Online™" to "The Lord of the Rings Online" (without the quotations of course).

Perform another secondary click and this time select "show package contents". Navigate to...

Contents-->Resources-->The Lord of the Rings Online™

If you are like me and you have file extensions DISabled, then you should see two files named "The Lord of the Rings Online™" within the "Resources" folder. The one we want to rename this time is the 20+ Gb file, not the other one, so check the "Size" column to make sure you are renaming the right one. For those of you familiar with the extensions, this is "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app", not "lotroclient.app".

Keep the second file named "The Lord of the Rings Online™" (lotroclient.app) just the way it is.

This fix allowed my client to begin patching once more, but I'm still in the middle of updating. I will update this post as soon as I know definitively, but hopefully this will help you guys figure out the issue.
    I did exactly what you said, next thing you know I get an error of steam that it doesn't find the game..

This is a duplicate of the posting in the thread:
    "avast! virus protection prevents Mac Client startup - An Update Error Occurred"

This may be a more common fix (post Update 10) than the previous solutions.

If you use the avast! for Mac product, it will prevent the Mac Client from contacting patch.lotro.com and updating.

The end result is the "classic" error: "An Update Error Occurred."

In the System Preferences control panel for avast!, "Web Shield" is the culpret.
    If you have it enabled, the Mac Client will not get started.

You can either "disable" Web shield completely, or select "Advanced" and add "patch.lotro.com" (HTTP) to the list of exclusions.
    (For the Bullroarer client also add "moria.patch.lotro.com")

I assume that this issue will also occur with other anti-virus programs which scan web content.

If you are having the "An Update Error Occurred" problem, try disabling your anti-virus scanner. If it works, please report your results back to this thread!

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

/rant
    plz fix this turbine spend 2 days trying to download patch and downloading+installing the game over and over and still can't play for &&&& i'm proper pissed off about my waisted time.

Tried this so called 'solution' but ends up with not even launcher starting up. So plz fix is really really needed!

It even got worse after downloading and installing the game aka fresh start. The bug happens and then it even got that stupid bugged it even can't launch the launcher anymore. Great just great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast