We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bill - question about CrossOver

Bill - I thought I'd try CrossOver to be able to get good music in LOTRO. The install took 11.5 hours and then it took 45 minutes to launch the game. Once in the game, the graphics were distorted and I couldn't get my toons to walk - only run. Is it worth buying CrossOver to hear music in the game or is there a better solution? Thanks for your help to noobs like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna2 View Post
    Bill - I thought I'd try CrossOver to be able to get good music in LOTRO. The install took 11.5 hours and then it took 45 minutes to launch the game. Once in the game, the graphics were distorted and I couldn't get my toons to walk - only run. Is it worth buying CrossOver to hear music in the game or is there a better solution? Thanks for your help to noobs like me.
    1- Switch your graphics settings in the Bottle. Off hand I don't recall which one is which, but as I remember, the default setting is not optimal for LOTRO.

2- What problem(s) are you having with the Audio with the Mac Client.
    There is really no difference between what Crossover provides and what is available in the native Mac Client -- both use the OSX Audio system for playback.

Remember that there are multiple volume sliders in-game Options.

3- Walk vs run is the difference in keyboard mappings. The Walk key is NOT mapped in the Mac Client. GO to Options Keyboard stuff (I don't have the game open at the moment), and pick a key.
    I use a "flat-top" 102-key ANSI Keyboard and map the walk key to "*" on the keypad.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    1- Switch your graphics settings in the Bottle. Off hand I don't recall which one is which, but as I remember, the default setting is not optimal for LOTRO.

2- What problem(s) are you having with the Audio with the Mac Client.
    There is really no difference between what Crossover provides and what is available in the native Mac Client -- both use the OSX Audio system for playback.

Remember that there are multiple volume sliders in-game Options.

3- Walk vs run is the difference in keyboard mappings. The Walk key is NOT mapped in the Mac Client. GO to Options Keyboard stuff (I don't have the game open at the moment), and pick a key.
    I use a "flat-top" 102-key ANSI Keyboard and map the walk key to "*" on the keypad.
    <face palm> I blew off the download that I had done because it was so bad, so I'll have to re-download if I plan to use CrossOver. However, since you say that it uses the same Mac audio it may be pointless, since the only reason I'd be running the game in CrossOver is to get around the problem that LOTRO doesn't support the Mac audio so Mac users hear only garbage rather than music when bands are playing. I know you're not the music master, and I'll also post something on the music sub-forum, but here's a related question:

If I go ahead and re-download LOTRO via CrossOver, the instructions on this page:https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...ie-file-on-mac tell me to select "Install via CrossTie". However, I am not given that option. When I click "here" from that page, a .tie file downloads, and when I click on that, a window pops up with the following options:
    install via Steam (I heard that was a bad option to use)
    download installer
    choose installer file
    choose installer folder
    Of those options, which should I choose? I originally chose the "download installer" option, which is what took 11.5 hours.

Still confused, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna2 View Post
    <face palm> I blew off the download that I had done because it was so bad, so I'll have to re-download if I plan to use CrossOver. However, since you say that it uses the same Mac audio it may be pointless, since the only reason I'd be running the game in CrossOver is to get around the problem that LOTRO doesn't support the Mac audio so Mac users hear only garbage rather than music when bands are playing. I know you're not the music master, and I'll also post something on the music sub-forum, but here's a related question:

If I go ahead and re-download LOTRO via CrossOver, the instructions on this page:https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...ie-file-on-mac tell me to select "Install via CrossTie". However, I am not given that option. When I click "here" from that page, a .tie file downloads, and when I click on that, a window pops up with the following options:
    install via Steam (I heard that was a bad option to use)
    download installer
    choose installer file
    choose installer folder
    Of those options, which should I choose? I originally chose the "download installer" option, which is what took 11.5 hours.

Still confused, as usual.
    The CrossTie installer should work, but I haven't tried a full download/install in Crossover for some time.
    The "CrossTie" installer is basically a script with simply automatically includes certain Windows modules into the bottle.
    I'm surprised that it has an "Install via Steam" option - that's "new."
    Sounds like it hasn't been updated in a while as the Steam option is no longer the "best" download source. Turbine (lotro.com) is using Akamai now and is quite reliable.

If you don't have the installer from lotro.com sitting around, (lotrolive.exe) simply choose "Download Installer" and (I believe) it will retrieve it for you.
    Otherwise, use "Choose installer file" and select the downloader you had previously selected.

11.5 hours sounds about right. The "Installer" is only about 64 meg in size, but it then downloads the full 17 gig system, which then gets patched up to about 20+gig.

As far as the music issue is concerned. The problem is not the Mac's music system, but rather that of LOTRO.

I haven't worked with any of the music audio stuff for a while, but except for Weathertop on Landroval, and one or two of the locations in Bree, the music system as been an issue for folks who were not standing right on top of the musicians.

I haven't checked the Music forum for a while. I'll have to go look.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)