We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO Client regular crashes.

Heya, I'm absolutely new to the forums, so if this question has been answered or somebody could direct me to the correct thread, that'd be great.

My LOTRO client keeps crashing regularly. The game just instantly quits and 10 seconds later, a error message pops up from the client. It happens about once a hour. I have graphics dialed pretty low, the game runs smoothly, but every hour or so (and without warning), it just quits and crashes. I've tolerated it up to now, but a certain event pushed me over the limit. I read about issues pertaining to memory leak, where the game client is trying to access more memory than it's allowed to. But short story told shorter, I'm not sure if this is the issue, and even more so, how to fix this issue. If somebody could help out, that'd be great.

In the meantime, can a non-vip me send a ticket to mods asking for the undying title to be granted to my toon? My guardian died at lvl 19, 13260/13350 exp, due to this. It's simply infuriating and I loathe the Shire with its delivery quests. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty insignificant, but I really don't want to reroll my toon due to a game malfunction.
    Last edited by Fxmybrute13; Feb 26 2018 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fxmybrute13 View Post
    Heya, I'm absolutely new to the forums, so if this question has been answered or somebody could direct me to the correct thread, that'd be great.

My LOTRO client keeps crashing regularly. It happens about once a hour. I have graphics dialed pretty low, the game runs smoothly, but every hour or so (and without warning), it just quits and crashes. I've tolerated it up to now, but a certain event pushed me over the limit. I read about issues pertaining to memory leak, where the game client is trying to access more memory than it's allowed to. But short story told shorter, I'm not sure if this is the issue, and even more so, how to fix this issue. If somebody could help out, that'd be great.

In the meantime, can a non-vip me send a ticket to mods asking for the undying title to be granted to my toon? I died at lvl 19, 13260/13350 exp and DC'd. It's simply infuriating and I loathe the Shire with its delivery quests
    You will need to gove more details, gfx settings, gfx card etc. nvidea cards have a known issue with dx9, under windows at least.

Sadly, Mac isnt well supported these days; you are pretty much reliant on the advice from other Mac users.

It shouldn't be the game settings at all. The reason I'm so confident is that
    a. the game runs smoothly.
    b. I have multiple accs (the other accs don't do much at all, just use them for mustering here and there). So I have multiple game clients. The funny thing is, the game never crashes for these alt accounts. Only for my main account. So obviously I tried switching around and using my main account on the other clients. But doesn't matter which client, it was always only my main account that regularly crashes.

So the 2 possible reasons I could think of for this discrepancy are memory (because my main account does have a lot more information associated with it), and LUA plugins (since my alt accounts don't use any plugins). However, in my basic research, I never came upon instances of LUA plugins crashing the game, simply the plugins crashing themselves. So that's why I think it's a memory leak issue.

Edit : Also, clicking the Help Menu panel ingame automatically triggers this crash, regardless of time. So I can't even send a ticket.
    Last edited by Fxmybrute13; Feb 26 2018 at 06:34 PM.

It shouldn't be the game settings at all. The reason I'm so confident is that
    a. the game runs smoothly.
    b. I have multiple accs (the other accs don't do much at all, just use them for mustering here and there). So I have multiple game clients. The funny thing is, the game never crashes for these alt accounts. Only for my main account. So obviously I tried switching around and using my main account on the other clients. But doesn't matter which client, it was always only my main account that regularly crashes.

So the 2 possible reasons I could think of for this discrepancy are memory (because my main account does have a lot more information associated with it), and LUA plugins (since my alt accounts don't use any plugins). However, in my basic research, I never came upon instances of LUA plugins crashing the game, simply the plugins crashing themselves. So that's why I think it's a memory leak issue.

Edit : Also, clicking the Help Menu panel ingame automatically triggers this crash, regardless of time. So I can't even send a ticket.
    Have you tried deleting your lotro ini files and letting the game create a new set?

My LOTRO client keeps crashing regularly. The game just instantly quits and 10 seconds later, a error message pops up from the client. It happens about once a hour. I have graphics dialed pretty low, the game runs smoothly, but every hour or so (and without warning), it just quits and crashes. I've tolerated it up to now, but a certain event pushed me over the limit. I read about issues pertaining to memory leak, where the game client is trying to access more memory than it's allowed to. But short story told shorter, I'm not sure if this is the issue, and even more so, how to fix this issue. If somebody could help out, that'd be great.
    There are two parts of the problem for the Mac Client.
    First, the way that OSX handles memory management compared to the way Windows does. There are many situations where the Memory Leak issue causes the Mac Client to crash, especially because of changes in the Graphics which were implemented with the release of Riders of Rohan. Aside from Bree proper, because of your level, you are likely not hitting those spots.

The second is an artifact of design. The Mac Client utilizes Awesomium. This is an old (since abandoned) Open-source, Google product which routinely causes the Mac Client to crash between 45 and 90 minutes of game time. You can simply let your character sit in one spot, and wham -- around 50 minutes, you crash! Yes, this too is actually a memory leak problem.

As I mentioned, Awesomium has been abandoned. It is one danger of using Open Source software in commercial products. This is compounded by the (apparent) fact that the original Mac Client (2012) was a "contract job." That is to say, as best I have been able to find out, it was not developed in-house by Turbine. In any event, neither Turbine nor SSH have had any Mac programmers on staff, for quite some time, definitely since 2014! (This issue was just brought back to the forefront with the U22 beta on Bullroarer. The "chat window" on the Mac Client was broken by changes made to the profanity filter which required unexpected coding when compared to Windows.

So in short, until and unless, there is a 64-bit Mac Client released, this "guaranteed crash" problem will persist.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Sorry for the late reply, especially when everybody has been so quick.

Yarbro, I tried that, and it didn't help. I suppose it simply is the issue Valamar raised, since the game just crashes regularly by the hour, regardless of what I'm doing. And as insinuated, hopes for the release of the 64-bit client does not seem too optimistic.

However, if the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue is causing this memory leak, is it possible to have my laptop run in 32 bit mode? I know that Snow Leopard is able to easily switch kernels, but I'm on 10.13.2 High Sierra. Some sites recommend the following :
    • If your Mac uses 32 bit mode by default, press 6 and 4 during startup
    • If your Mac uses the 64 bit mode by default, press 3 and 2 during startup

But how do I check if this action is a success, and my computer has properly loaded into 32 bit mode? My mac is defaulted to 64 bit mode.

Edit : Apparently Mac Mountain Lion 10.8 and later do not support running in 32-bit mode. So for me, it's hopeless. But if you have a version that does support running in 32-bit mode, there actually may be hope.
    Last edited by Fxmybrute13; Feb 27 2018 at 10:46 PM.

Sorry for the late reply, especially when everybody has been so quick.

Yarbro, I tried that, and it didn't help. I suppose it simply is the issue Valamar raised, since the game just crashes regularly by the hour, regardless of what I'm doing. And as insinuated, hopes for the release of the 64-bit client does not seem too optimistic.

However, if the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue is causing this memory leak, is it possible to have my laptop run in 32 bit mode? I know that Snow Leopard is able to easily switch kernels, but I'm on 10.13.2 High Sierra. Some sites recommend the following :
    • If your Mac uses 32 bit mode by default, press 6 and 4 during startup
    • If your Mac uses the 64 bit mode by default, press 3 and 2 during startup

But how do I check if this action is a success, and my computer has properly loaded into 32 bit mode? My mac is defaulted to 64 bit mode.

Edit : Apparently Mac Mountain Lion 10.8 and later do not support running in 32-bit mode. So for me, it's hopeless. But if you have a version that does support running in 32-bit mode, there actually may be hope.

I am afraid I dont know MACOS at all, so I dont know if it will make any difference between 32bit and 64 bit; is there a way of running a VM version of 32bit that is free/very cheap, to see if that helps?

The only other thing I can suggest is buying a cheap, 2nd hand winbox to play the game on; I used to be able to get 4-5 year old ex-lease business grade boxes for £50-£150 that would run LOTRO with no real issues; not sure if that is still possible now, or where you live.

Thought about that, and I tried it out. Used Oracle's VirtualBox to make a VM on my laptop (had to partition my hard drive too for it to work). But it's running slow as hell in general. Looked online and a bunch of people had the issue too. Something with do with VT-X acceleration and/or nested paging. But Oracle disabled the option to tinker with this setting, so I'm dead in the water again.

Unless somebody knows of better VMs? I also heard of Wine, but haven't used that. So is that a reasonable idea to look into?

Thought about that, and I tried it out. Used Oracle's VirtualBox to make a VM on my laptop (had to partition my hard drive too for it to work). But it's running slow as hell in general. Looked online and a bunch of people had the issue too. Something with do with VT-X acceleration and/or nested paging. But Oracle disabled the option to tinker with this setting, so I'm dead in the water again.

Unless somebody knows of better VMs? I also heard of Wine, but haven't used that. So is that a reasonable idea to look into?
    I wouldnt worry about it running slow for now; does it crash??

If it crashes then 32bit mode isnt going to help; if it DOESNT crash, then you need to decide how much you want to pay to play the game, and go for the VM software to fit your budget.

I tried running LOTRo using WINE on Linux and failed, although I beleive there are other people in the forums doing so; but again, I dont know much about Linux - I keep meaning to have a good play, but with so many chronic conditions, it is difficult just to keep going.

However, if the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue is causing this memory leak, is it possible to have my laptop run in 32 bit mode?
    I also heard of Wine, but haven't used that. So is that a reasonable idea to look into?
    1- 32-bit mode for the OS has zero impact on the memory leak problem in an application program.
    Avoiding a long technical explanation, Windows has hacks which allow a 32-bit program to address 4-Gig of program memory; OSX does NOT. The memory managemnt mechanics in the two Operating systems are different. LOTRO has been Optimized to utilize all of the Windows Hacks available, consequently, the memory leak problem manifests itself in OSX.

2- I have not used any of the VMs, so I can't speculate on what is happening with them. However, the WINE implementation used to work well, but slow. I have not used it now since the native Mac Client came out, but I use to use Crossover Games version all the time. I can't tell how slow it is compared to the native client because I happen to have the native client on my SSD, and my Crossover version on a Firewire 800 drive. The access times are quite different between the two, so I assume that it will simply be slower in WINE - but it still runs.

You can download the trial version of Crossover Wiine for free. https://www.codeweavers.com
    The LOTRO page is https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...e-rings-online
    I have not tried to re-install it using the cross-tie installer for ages, and I note that there is virtually zero activity on the forum - My postings are amongst the last ones!
    Most of the most recent activity has been with the Linux installations. . . yes, the same WINE version runs on both the Mac and Linux boxes.

I should add, there are assorted old "pre-configured" LOTRO WINE installations -- these have not worked for several updtes of both OSX and LOTRO.
    WINE runs with the normal LOTRO PC download.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I would like to thank everybody for helping out. To save people from this nightmare process, I'll post my results from experimenting here.

Option 1.
    Continue running the MAC client, being aware that you'll crash every hour or so.

Option 2.
    Wine : Slow, but doesn't crash. Not good for gaming.

Option 3.
    VM : Fast, and doesn't crash, but requires you to partition your hard drive (will not be an issue for ordinary computer use). I only have 8 GB of RAM and it works fine on medium-high settings. The VM-software made all the difference though. As of yesterday, I was using the free Oracle, but it was downright terrible. Even slower than Wine. Swapped to Parallel Desktop, and it's running beautifully. Been on for 4 hours and no crash. Only time I even noticed a performance difference was when I ran a defence of MT EB. And even then, it was largely ignorable.

BootCamp was also suggested but I wanted to be able to use both my Mac and Windows systems at the same time.