We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

new to the game but life long LOTR fan

i just have a few questions i am downloading the free game now and will become a vip member in the future, i was wondering how many expansions packs i have to buy to get the full game? And what do you get with the free download version of the game? But mostly i need to know what to buy later on to get the full game. Thanks

I think what you're looking for is here: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/...re-quest-packs
    I got a bit confused with this too
    basically you don't need to purchase anything to be able to play
    if you're going to be vip at the very start then you have access to almost every quest except for the expansion pack regions (moria, mirkwood, isengard, rohan)
    until you're around 50 while VIP you're good to go
    a kinnie advised me there might be huge sale this december, so unless you're rushing things then save up your $$ til then
    good luck!
    [url]http://eternalno0b9aming.tumblr.com/[/url]

Ok this is my road map to new players.

A F2P player has:

Acess to 2 slots per server.
    All the quest packs of the initial areas: Ered Luin, Shire and Bree plus Lone Lands.
    The instances of Bree (Barrow Downs) and Lone Lands.
    One to two traits open.
    The epic story till the END.
    Two skirmishes.

THis is enough to get to more or less level 30, when you finish the Lone Lands and have to go to other areas.

In each area there are deeds that give from 5 to 15 TP (5+10) and three factions (Bree , LL and Mathom society for, this will give as a total of 50TP each, however the mathom society in Shire you only get kindred with drops from mobs around 40.

A VIP:
    As access to all game except expansions.

If u subscribe at least one month and the stop you keep for all chars logged in:
    5 Inv. Bags.
    Swift Travel.
    No gold cap. (as F2P is 2 gold)
    All traits open.
    + 1 Slot Character per server as Premium

If While VIP you get a horse ridding skill you keep it, also keep the guild level you achieved.

So what I think is best? Sign as VIP when in the end of LL, keep the TP earned and
    just spend on buying areas when these are in sale (like this week).

For expansions note that you can buy the quest packs or the entire expansions. The expansions also give access to instances and other bonus.

So Expansion of Moria:
    Quests in moria
    Two classes (RK+Warden).
    Instances
    +2 Slots per server.

Mirkwood:
    Quests in Mirkwood
    Skirmishes
    Instances

Rise of Isengard:
    Quests
    Instances (includes Draigoch Raid in enedwaith)

Rohan:
    Quests
    Light and heavy horse for mounted combat
    Instance cluster to be lauched in the future.

As my idea is just buy when in sale or when needed.

I did the following:
    Bought 5000 TPs to have money to open areas (also bought Moria and Mirkwood expansions with TP), instances and skirmishes. ( With a judicious choice of sales and with the TP earned in game I bought all of them).
    Got one month VIP when I knew I had time to level a number of chars to level 20 to get the riding skill while VIP.
    Bought RoI and RoR in the turbine shop.

Anyway is a long ride if you want to do all quests.

I might be forgeting something, ... ..., expecially regarding the skirmish soldier...

Quote Originally Posted by Tavack View Post
    i just have a few questions i am downloading the free game now and will become a vip member in the future, i was wondering how many expansions packs i have to buy to get the full game? And what do you get with the free download version of the game? But mostly i need to know what to buy later on to get the full game. Thanks
    Welcome to Middle Earth! Before you buy anything, know that the software you are downloading is all the software you will EVER need. When you "buy" stuff, what it really does is flag your account to unlock the whatever it is you have purchased.

You don't need to buy anything in order to play the game, level to the cap (85 now), travel to every zone (once you meet the level and quest requirements) and do the Epic quests in every zone. Going VIP (subscribing) gets you all the non-Epic quests and deeds in every zone.

Free players get the "quest packs" (non-Epic quests and deeds) for the Shire, Ered Luin, Breeland, and the Lonelands. These are the starting regions for every race plus enough content to get you to about level 30.

There are 4 expansions:
    • Moria: level 50 - 60
    • Mirkwood: level 60-65, but there are other zones where you could get those levels
    • Isengard: level 65-75
    • Rohan: level 75-85

You don't need to buy expansions in order to get to level 75, but right now Rohan is your only choice for level 75 - 85. However, they all have some interesting content and I recommend them Moria, Isengard, and Rohan highly. Buying all 4 along with VIP gets you all the quest/deed content in the game... until they release another expansion!

If you decide to go VIP, you can choose to save up your 500 TPs/month and buy expansions with them when you get to the level when you need them. So there is really no need to decide right now what you want to buy. Play the game for a while and decide later.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Moria is good from lvl 45 - 63 with all the repeatable instances. After that you can go directly to Dunland bypassing Lorien, Mirkwood and Enedwaith. Isengard takes you easily to lvl 75 after which you can move on to Rohan and max out.
    My leveling plan contains the three starter areas because of the traits/virtues and reputation to be obtained easily. continuing with Lone Lands or North Downs (depending on my mood) followed by Evendim to ~lvl 40. Then moving on to Angmar until lvl 45 and straight to Moria and the legendary items. All the other regions can be completed easier when you maxed out. I can still suggest getting the Moria Expansion for the 2 slots and Warden/Runekeeper classes included. That's a great deal.
    Last edited by FragLimiT; Nov 18 2012 at 04:28 PM.