We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Buying Expansions in LOTRO STORE

Hello
    I'm a Lifetime Membership player returning after long absence. My last purchase was Mines of Moria. I'd like to play again and I have one question. Being LTM gave me a lot of TP, I would like to spend them on RoI and RoR expansions. Are expansions, listed in LOTRO stores, identical to digital download? Or, more precisely, will I have COMPLETE expansions (with all stuff, maybe just not cosmetics things, like outfits, or something like that) after buying them from LOTRO store? Thanks for your help.

Ok, if you buy the expansions via the LOTRO store, then you get the quest packs and everything that came with the expansion like an Instance Cluster for Isengard (Mirkwood is pretty much just a quest pack). If you buy the Rohan expansion you get the quest pack, upcoming Instances, skirmish cap unlock (which came with Mirkwood if you didn't know), and the ability to use a light or heavy steed. The areas are already downloaded in game, so you can go there before you buy them (you just can't do anything). If you buy them, everything there is unlocked. YOU BUY THE COMPLETE EXPANSION. Hope I cleared it up
    Last edited by dselden; Nov 17 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Riddermark: Quest: Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Pleasefarmme-Reaver
    Landroval: Erehorn-Burglar
    Brandywine: SVP: Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master

Desldon broke it down pretty well. Essentially the main thing you're going to want to look for is the word expansion. Most expansions also have a "Quest Pack" listing, which will be only the quests related to that expansion. It won't include any of the instances or any of the other bonus perks (ie, if you bought the "Moria Quest Pack" you would only end up with the quests throughout the zone, you wouldn't get the RK/warden classes, the extra character slots, etc).

You may want to consider buying just the Quest pack for Isengard, since the cap is now at 85 not many people will be running those 75 instances anymore.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Inkub_Pend4agon View Post
    Hello
    I'm a Lifetime Membership player returning after long absence. My last purchase was Mines of Moria. I'd like to play again and I have one question. Being LTM gave me a lot of TP, I would like to spend them on RoI and RoR expansions. Are expansions, listed in LOTRO stores, identical to digital download? Or, more precisely, will I have COMPLETE expansions (with all stuff, maybe just not cosmetics things, like outfits, or something like that) after buying them from LOTRO store? Thanks for your help.
    First off... the digital download has nothing to do with it. The client you have installed contains all the software you will EVER need. What "buying" expansions means to you is that the content becomes unlocked.

Buying expansions with RL money (especially pre-orders) is what gave folks the cosmetics and other fluff. If you buy an EXPANSION with TPs in the Store, you're unlocking all the content listed in the expansion.

There have been 3 expansions since Moria:
    • Mirkwood, which introduced skirmishes and raised the level cap to 65. This is only available as a quest pack nowadays; you won't find an "expansion" for it in the store or anyplace else.
    • Isengard, which was the first post-FtP expansion and raised the level cap to 75. The quest pack includes only quests in the zone, the Expansion includes the Orthanc instance & raid cluster.
    • Rohan, which came out last month and raised the level cap to 85. I think the expansion includes all 3 trait lines for your Warhorse (everyone gets Medium, but you'll get access to Light and Heavy) and the instance cluster that hasn't been released yet.

As a lifer, you'll never be less than VIP... and as you have discovered, you can save up your 500 TPs/month to buy anything else you like. Lots of people envy you because Lifetime subscriptions aren't available to purchase anymore.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

The expansion sold for TP through the LOTRO Store (provided, as others have mentioned, that you get the complete "expansion" and not the "quest pack" of the same region) is equivalent to the Base Edition of the expansion sold for cash through the LOTRO Market.

In the case of Isengard, they've discontinued sales of the Heroic and Legendary editions, so the Base Edition is what's still available to get, regardless of whether you're buying with cash or TP.

In the case of Rohan, there are still three editions available for cash, and only the cheapest of them is available for TP. The main additional features with the Heroic Edition are other quest packs that you already have as a VIP with Moria already purchased, so I wouldn't recommend that one in your case. Extras that come with the Legendary Edition are:
    Armour of the Eastemnet
    An exclusive full set of Rohirrim cosmetic armour

Friend of the Mark
    An exclusive in-game Rohirrim title

6th Inventory Bag
    An inventory bag that grants 15 additional storage slots

Crystal of Remembrance
    Adds one additional legacy to your legendary weapon

Exclusive Rohan Content
    Discover the lineage of the great War-steeds and earn a mounted combat deed that grants an exclusive skill for your War-steed

2,000 Turbine Points for use in the Turbine Store
    Of those, the 6th Inventory Bag and Crystal of Remembrance are available separately through the Store, and the others are fairly minor. (The exclusive content is kind of fun, though, including some session play as a horse. Its only real drawback is that it consists of repeatable quests that have to be repeated many times if you want the deeds. Each is fun the first time or two, but after a while becomes just a grind.)