We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    After multiple searches and scanning I don't find the other thread on this issue that you refer to.

With the help of the Mac Client Lotro wiki I finally found the plist. It opens as a text file with Text Edit, but there's a lot of stuff in there - some of which isn't text - which makes me nervous about changing anything in it.
    Correct. It is NOT a text file it is actually a "compiled" file (i.e. a kind of binary), and you can NOT open it with TextEdit.
    You MUST open it with either Xcode or TextWrangler.

Xcode is Apple's developer tool, free from the Appstore. TextWrangler is a free text editor from the BBedit folks BareBones Software.
    The two operate slightly differently.
    ... in the LotroLauncher.plist and found two entries

1. AllowMultipleInstances
    2. allowmultipleinstances

Is this what you're referring to? Do both of these need to match? If so, any idea which is correct?

Also, in some of the info earlier in this thread it says to change "false" to "true", however, I don't see any true/false directive in the plist file. I suppose that's because the implementation of multiple clients has changed?
    In Xcode, the two entries are "Boolean" and will (should) both show as "Yes" when enabled.
    With TextWrangler, the file will display in "XML" format...
    <key>AllowMultipleInstances</key>
    <true/>
    and
    <key>allowMultipleInstances</key>
    <true/>
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Correct. It is NOT a text file it is actually a "compiled" file (i.e. a kind of binary), and you can NOT open it with TextEdit.
    You MUST open it with either Xcode or TextWrangler.

Xcode is Apple's developer tool, free from the Appstore. TextWrangler is a free text editor from the BBedit folks BareBones Software.
    The two operate slightly differently.

In Xcode, the two entries are "Boolean" and will (should) both show as "Yes" when enabled.
    With TextWrangler, the file will display in "XML" format...
    <true/>
    and
    <key>allowMultipleInstances</key>
    <true/>
    Ok, finally getting back to this.

In com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t

I find:

<true/>

In com.turbine.lotroclient.plist

I find:

<key>Default.MultipleSessionEn abled</key>
    <string>0</string>

Those are the only strings that appear relevant to the multiple client issue. Are either or both of these file entries what I'm looking for?

I would guess that the second showing "0" should be "1", but I'm only guessing and not too confident to do this without knowing for sure that's the correct entry.

Any advice?
    Last edited by BentoIce; Sep 03 2013 at 09:22 PM.

I'm trying to do this as well but I cannot locate the plist file.
    I did a search and found the com.turbine.lotroclient folder and a greyed out shortcut to a .plist that does not exist.

However, in the The Lord of the Rings Online™ (launcher app) under MacOS there is a file (LotroLauncher) that contains the gibberish along with the multipleclients, but in textwrangler it appears as:
    "2DownloadThrottleChanged()1On DownloadThrottleChanged()2Auto RetrieveUpdatesIntervalChanged ()1OnAutoRetrieveUpdatesInterv alChanged()2AllowMultipleInsta ncesChanged()1OnAllowMultipleI nstancesChanged()Patcher::OnCl ientLaunched - i_bSuccess: --> strError: Patcher::OnClientLaunched - Closing app! Goodbye...Failed to launch clientPatcher::OnClientLaunche d - Failed to launch client!Patcher::StartClient - starting up client [user: ] worldIndex: --> Disabling launch client button..."
    The same as text edit and not the way you described.
    Is it the wrong file?

Quote Originally Posted by Catholicism View Post
    I'm trying to do this as well but I cannot locate the plist file.
    I did a search and found the com.turbine.lotroclient folder and a greyed out shortcut to a .plist that does not exist.
    from http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

I found:

File locations:

All support files are being stored in:
    ~/Library/Application Suport/com.turbine.lotroclient/
    lotro.keymap
    lotroclient.log
    Chat logs (Capture Chat)
    Screenshots (F11)
    Music (folder) -- ABC Music files
    Plugins (folder) -- Lua Plugins
    PluginData (folder) -- Lua Plugins Data
    ui (folder) -- Skins and Layouts

The "UserPreferences.ini" file (as found in the Windows Client) is stored as a plist file:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.loroclient.plist
    And the launcher
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.lorolauncher.plist

Note that .plist files are "binary" files which need to be read and converted into readable text. Xcode (free from the App Store for Mountain Lion users) does a fine job as do other third party text exiting programs. TextEdit cannot read or convert them. (TextWrangler - Bare Bones Software can convert them into XML form, however the resulting file contains all of the Apple plist boilerplate which tends to make the resulting file less than readable and therefore useful.)
    Hope that helps!

I am scratching my head.

I gave up trying to fix my mac client mutliple instance but now I want to give it another go.

1: I have fixed the permissions.

2: I have checked plist and both launcher and client allow mutliple instances/enabled

3: I can run two mac clients if 2nd one is a duplicated. But I am running out of space so I don't want to do that, I want to run two sessions from one client.

Both every time I run LOTRO this what happens:

Log in to launcher, launch the game. The Launcher is still open, I log into second account (or shut it down, open launcher again and log into second account. pick server and launch, the window focus simply switch to the session already running, not create a new window with new session.

Anyone having same problem or able to fix it without duplicating launcher? (I could do make space for another 22 gb, but not for another 88 gb!)

Quote Originally Posted by duvelmoortgat View Post
    Anyone having same problem or able to fix it without duplicating launcher? (I could do make space for another 22 gb, but not for another 88 gb!)
    I finally gave up, unable to make it work after numerous attempts. It would be awesome if someone has had success and could share their experience. The PC build does multiple clients so beautifully, it's a wonder that the Mac client doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by duvelmoortgat View Post
    2: I have checked plist and both launcher and client allow mutliple instances/enabled

3: I can run two mac clients if 2nd one is a duplicated. But I am running out of space so I don't want to do that, I want to run two sessions from one client.

Both every time I run LOTRO this what happens:

Log in to launcher, launch the game. The Launcher is still open, I log into second account (or shut it down, open launcher again and log into second account. pick server and launch, the window focus simply switch to the session already running, not create a new window with new session.
    I have no idea how the PC Client works, but I assume that the problem with the Mac Client is that it is trying to copy how the PC Client does it -- and fails.

That said, this is my guess as to what is happening.
    The issue sound like it revolves around the concept of "focus." While both Operating Systems have the concept, the implementations are very different.
    Given the past track record of implementing things in the Mac Client "the windows way" (file path names, for example), it would not surprise me to find that "control is being passed" to the "wrong name."
    When the Launcher calls the client, it is simply using the same name every time instead of incrementing it.

Running with multiple copies of the disk files should work with zero issues -- OSX sees them as two separate programs.
    However, launching two Clients from one Launcher requires that the Launcher be able to somehow differentiate between the two instances - clearly that is what is broken.

Here is a question... did this ever work with the Mac Client?
    Has anyone filed a ticket (have an outstanding ticket) with support on the issue? (Not a /bug report)

Possible "help" -- watch for the next Twitch Feed when Rowan is present -- and ask about fixes for multiple sessions on the Mac Client?
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)