We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

[Solved] Multiple Clients Not Possible With Beta Mac Client?

While testing I tried to launch two clients as I do sometimes of the PC client via Bootcamp. With the PC client it has been possible for a while and it works fine with a decent setup and no need for duplicating clients etc.. Just get one client running then click the Launcher again and get first time the message;

A game client is already running, please close to continue.
    Launch again and this time it opens a new Launcher and you can go on to open and login to another account with a second client.

When you try the same with the Mac app it just continues to give the error message and no way to launch a second client.

I then copied the The Lord of the Rings Online™ app with right click > Duplicate. Once copied tried to launch that second launcher with the original client running but still the same repeated error.

Anyone got it working before I take it further? Perhaps need to duplicate the;

~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient
    and alter the path for the second launcher/client.

I guess it's possible to run a Windows emulation (Crossover not supporting even unofficially LOTRO now I read) but I don't want to to this or run another Mac. The way the PC client allows multiple clients is really very elegant so hopefully there is a way to do this on the Mac client, even if the method is a little less elegant
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 16 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    While testing I tried to launch two clients as I do sometimes of the PC client via Bootcamp. With the PC client it has been possible for a while and it works fine with a decent setup and no need for duplicating clients etc.. Just get one client running then click the Launcher again and get first time the message;
    Interesting, sounds like a bug in the PC Client. Theoretically, you need a separate instance of Windows for each instance of LOTRO you want to run. I was not aware that the PC client was allowing multiple launches. Needless to say, running multiple copies of LOTRO from the same set of files is going to get you into "who wrote last" "race" conditions. While simply using the data files might not be an issue (the "raw" directory being the only exception I can think of -- where the transition screens go), the UserPreferences.Ini file and any of the other files in "documents" are going to be problematic.

I realize that part of the way the PC client probably survives is the fact that the files in "Documents" are only read at launch and written to at client shutdown. (most of the time, there are exceptions, but they are not normally open during the game, except maybe some of the Lua PluginData folder files.

As for the Mac Client... I would assume the plist file(s) are the ones you need to modify... same as we did to get the Beta Client to originally run on the Live servers. The Plist files being the equivalent of the UserPrefernces.ini

As for "how" the Mac Client is telling that it is already running -- that becomes an interesting question in and of itself. There are multiple possible ways it could do that, but I have no idea which one it might be using. That might explain some of the problems people are seeing trying to get things to run. I'll have to hunt around and see what I can find.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 105
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 105
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 91

I guess it's possible to run a Windows emulation (Crossover not supporting even unofficially LOTRO now I read) but I don't want to to this or run another Mac. The way the PC client allows multiple clients is really very elegant so hopefully there is a way to do this on the Mac client, even if the method is a little less elegant
    CrossOver itself is not being updated specifically with the WINE patches for LOTRO. However, those patches are in the main code-tree for WINE, so the next update that Codeweavers does (nominally to WINE 1.5.xx) will allow CrossOver to again run LOTRO.

However, WINE itself has been patched to run LOTRO -- the issue is that WINE sucks big time on the Mac. Codeweavers did do some major packaging to make CrossOver "Mac like." If you have an existing CrossOver installation of LOTRO, you can "simply" install the MacPorts updated version of CrossOver's version of WINE or of the current Version of WINE. But then you also need XQuartz and to run everything from the terminal. It's painful, but it can be done.

The WINE build takes a couple of hours. AFTER -- assuming you are starting from scratch:
    1- Install Xcode from the app store
    2- Install "command line tools" from within Xcode (preferences as I recall)
    3- Install Mac Ports (macports.sourceforge.org -- I think)
    4- then you use Mac Ports to install WINE. The first install will require about 12 hours to download and install all of the various components involved in WINE.
    5- Then you go to /applications/utilities and click on X11 which will take you to XQuartz.org (or where ever) to download and install Xquartz.
    THEN you launch Xquartz
    and from a terminal window "do the wine thing" -- I'd add the command here, but i'ts on my iMac which is getting its hard drive replaced under an Apple recall and I just got a phone call that it probably won't be done until TUESDAY argh -- withdrawal symptoms -- I'm using an old snow-leopard Mac Book Pro to type this....

Partial cast

Actually the windows client started requiring a filesystem copy of the game directory at some point. I'm surprised to hear that it stopped that.

Does the Mac client work if you copy? You can symlink the big files in there if you want to save space.

I've always dual logged on a PC using two sets of the Lotro software. Turbine's code assumes that there is only one copy of the software running. The single running copy has the ability to modify the files. You can blow your instalation up if you are unlucky.

As long as I don't update the shared My Documents folder at the same time, I should be fine. Hitting take screenshot in both clients at the same time - that would be bad. I bet one is going to crash with a write protection violation as they both try to save their screenshot to the save file. Or one will overwrite the other client's screenshot instead of having two screenshots.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Exclamation Run Multiple Mac Clients - DRAFT

OK, few mugs of tea later and I cracked it

Not quite as elegant as PC side because it does require duplicating the LotroLauncher.app for it to work but you can use multiple beta Mac clients.

NOTE: THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS. I have not had time to extensively test this and can give no guarantees that it will work over time or that it will not break something. USING MULTI-CLIENTS IS UNSUPPORTED BY TURBINE. So don't go submitting tickets etc. regarding this because they will not be able to help. ALWAYS ENSURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN BACKUP OF ALL DATA BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE.

Now we have the obligatory red text out the way, on with the fun

The key is setting the allowmultipleinstances key in LotroLauncher.plist from false > true and saving. To do this;

1. Navigate to;

~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t
    2. Open the .plist file with a text editor. I use Text Wrangler (free and very good) but TextEdit is fine as long as it is set to plain text (Format > Make Plain Text). On line 8 change the value to true like this;

Original LotroLauncher.plist Settings

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>DownloadFilesList·xml</key>
    <string>@Variant(%x™)gà) </string>
    <key>allowmultipleinstances</key>
    <false/>
    Change this to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>DownloadFilesList·xml</key>
    <string>@Variant(%x™)gà) </string>
    <key>allowmultipleinstances</key>
    <true/>
    3. Save and close the .plist file.

This now allows you to launch LotroLauncher.app without the "A game client is already running, please close to continue." error message. From here you can launch and login to the game as normal.

However, if you try to follow the procedure on the PC client when it comes to launching the game on login/password confirmation, it just vanishes. No .crash log but will not work this way.

The way to make it work is to make a copy of the The Lord of the Rings Online™ (which is in fact the LotroLauncher.app when copying paths etc.) and launch your second client from this. To do this;

1. Navigate to the app;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app
    (displayed as The Lord of the Rings Online™ in the Applications folder in Finder)

2. Right click the app and click Duplicate which will create an exact copy in Applications.

NOTE: LotroLauncher.app is currently 21.22 GB in size so ensure you have plenty of spare disk space. It wil take a while to copy.

3. Once it is done copying all that remains is to rename it from The Lord of the Rings Online™ copy to what you like but something that reflects it is not the original. I also give them both different colour Labels (right click the app to do this under Labels) to help differentiate them.

Now you should be able to first launch the original LotroLauncher.app and let it complete the login to the game.

Once completed and in game then launch the second LotroLauncher.app by clicking the one you copied (not the existing one twice as the PC client). I drag both to the Dock for faster launching with original on top and copy below to help me remember.

If all went well then it should work now with two clients! I assume it is possible for more but I only have two accounts currently to test.

Notes:

When logging on you will have to select the server each time as logging two (or more) different accounts changes the .plist so it just prompts you to do this each time. Not a big issue.

Unlike the PC launcher there is no drop down list of accounts. Again not a big issue just less convenient.

One advantage is that the windowed size of the two clients are independent so can be different sizes which I don't think is the case on the PC client?

Remember that running multiple clients will increase both the load and temperature of the Mac. I have a well specced iMac which runs two with no issue and just a slight drop in FPS running the two clients. I tend to drop down from Ultra to High graphics if I do this for a while.

Unfortunately we are unable to limit FPS rate or Vsync currently to help this. So for older models or laptops you need to consider it carefully.

On loading the second client some of the initial splash screens showed as a grey/white grid for some seconds but then loaded as normal. I guess they were just refreshing in some way and did not effect in game play so far.

I have not had time to extensively test this and can give no guarantees that it will work over time or that it will not break something. But as we are only altering one key in the .plist with a simple text edit and copying the app, this works in a similar way that the PC did before they enabled the easy method.

Only thing to remember (unless they change something) is that you will need to re-copy the app again for each Update patch to the original but it doesn't take too long.

Hopefully they will implement a similar simple way to launch the Mac client but in the meantime this should do.

I will post more when I have had time to test further. And post it to it's own thread if others find it works.

p.s. If you see any errors in the instructions or can suggest another way which works better please post and I'll add it for inclusion in it's own thread.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 16 2012 at 08:55 PM.

2. Open the .plist file with a text editor. I use Text Wrangler (free and very good) but TextEdit is fine as long as it is set to plain text (Format > Make Plain Text).
    PLIST files SHOULD ALWAYS be binary files, and therefore are not editable with Text Edit. Text Wrangler converts the file from binary to text and back again when it saves it.

(man plutil - Note that the binary format and plutil functionality changed with either Lion or Mountain Lion, I forget which, at which point the system expects the plist files to be in binary format, and not "either.")

Xcode is also free (in Mountain Lion, and I believe also in Lion, it was charged for in Snow Leopard) from the App store and will also present a much more readable version of the Plist file. The version displayed by TextWrangler displays all of the "normally" invisible Apple Boilerplate items which simply confuse things.

Partial cast

On loading the second client some of the initial splash screens showed as a grey/white grid for some seconds but then loaded as normal. I guess they were just refreshing in some way and did not effect in game play so far.
    These are the "transition" screens -- the 30 which the patcher downloads every time it launches.

There is no impact from them not being available, other than "pretty." However, the fact that they are not there says that you are somehow working with a "twisted" directory structure. (A permissions problem maybe?)

They are stored in the client (not the patcher) in the "raw/logo" directory (I don't have the path available on this laptop, so I can't be more specific.) In that directory are 3 more directories -- fr/gr/en which contain the screens, plus the initial Ad screen.

Hopefully, I'll get my iMac back today or tomorrow.

Partial cast