We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Severe lagging after patching

Hello,

So before the patch I was working with framerates between 70 and 100 fps and Very High settings. After new patch, I'm hovering around 18-25, and that's with lowered settings. I'm not in Rohan or anywhere really graphically taxing, and my computer setup has not changed since Tuesday before the patch. Any info or possible reasons for this? It's quite frustrating, especially having been so excited to play the game on my mac.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cerios156 View Post
    Hello,

So before the patch I was working with framerates between 70 and 100 fps and Very High settings. After new patch, I'm hovering around 18-25, and that's with lowered settings. I'm not in Rohan or anywhere really graphically taxing, and my computer setup has not changed since Tuesday before the patch. Any info or possible reasons for this? It's quite frustrating, especially having been so excited to play the game on my mac.

Thanks so much.
    I have not experienced any drop in FPS since the Update 8.1 patch.

To try to work out what could be causing the issue can you provide a bit more detail on your Mac. You can get this information from:

1. In the Finder click on the Apple icon on the top left of the menu bar (top of screen) and click on About This Mac > More Info....

2. Copy/Paste each line in that page, for example my setup;

iMac
    27-inch, Mid 2011
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
    Serial Number N/A
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
    You mention you have changed nothing since installing the update.

Firstly, apologies if you know all this but just in case, it's good before we start to look further by just running some basic Mac maintenance and check permissions generally.

Check this good guide which is up to date;

Basic Mac Troubleshooting

Especially the section on Repair Disk Permissions and using Disk Utility and the File System Check.

It's good practice to now Reboot the Mac.

If you can run through the basic maintenance/ troubleshooting and post the computer setup here then it may help to work out the issue.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

It's a 17inch Macbook Pro Retina, purchased about a month ago when my other macbook became a corpse. I've run disk utility, rebooted plenty, and still super laggy I'd be really thankful for any help.

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

It's a 17inch Macbook Pro Retina, purchased about a month ago when my other macbook became a corpse. I've run disk utility, rebooted plenty, and still super laggy I'd be really thankful for any help.
    Given it's such a new model with decent graphics card for a laptop I am not sure quite what it could be.

I know that the closed beta Mac client did not support the highest Retina display resolutions yet. Not sure how that would impact the lag. Have you tried changing settings in Graphics and Advanced Graphics to see if it helps? or the resolution as it is not Retina resolution anyhow? Hovering over the headings usually gives an idea of how it could help to change.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 19 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

I've checked permissions, adjusted every graphical setting in-game from ultra high to the lowest of the low (can't get above 35 fps), cleared my caches, adjusted the screen resolution from all the way up to all the way down, and rebooted about 3.4 million times, and now am just sort of hoping the game decides to run beautifully again on its own

I've checked permissions, adjusted every graphical setting in-game from ultra high to the lowest of the low (can't get above 35 fps), cleared my caches, adjusted the screen resolution from all the way up to all the way down, and rebooted about 3.4 million times, and now am just sort of hoping the game decides to run beautifully again on its own
    I can't think of anything else which might help it other than to do a fresh install in case something got corrupted which is causing the problems.

Before you do, the other thing to check is if it is a symptom of any hardware issue (graphics card, RAM etc.). You can do this by running the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) which is already installed on the Recovery drive in 10.8. See the instructions from Apple here.

If this shows no issue I do suggest a fresh install. The folders/ files to remove are;

/Applications/The Lord of the Rings Online™.app

~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient
    ~/Library/Caches/com.turbine.lotroclient
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.lotroclient.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.turbine.lotroclient.savedS tate
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.turbine.LotroLauncher.save dState
    You can store the com.turbine.lotroclient as it does not contain any preferences and has the key bindings and any screenshots. When it is installed and you can test it, then if you wish, put this back in the same directory.

It may be that this and the re-patching of the fresh install will clear any potential data issue. At least it discounts it as a cause if not.

Alongside this you should Submit a Ticket.

In this way Turbine are made aware of a potential issue with the beta Mac client and can aid you directly in fixing the problem. Provide as much detail as is useful including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 20 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to reinstall and see how that goes. Keep you posted!

I ran a hardware check that showed no errors. Proceeded to reinstall the game. After patching, logged back in to find absolutely no improvement D: I'm about to file a ticket. It's so bizarre. When I let the game decide what my graphics settings should be, everything is set to ultra high. But it doesn't seem to make a difference to the fps, high or low.

Weep. Is no one else having this problem? really? How sad.

I ran a hardware check that showed no errors. Proceeded to reinstall the game. After patching, logged back in to find absolutely no improvement D: I'm about to file a ticket. It's so bizarre. When I let the game decide what my graphics settings should be, everything is set to ultra high. But it doesn't seem to make a difference to the fps, high or low.

Weep. Is no one else having this problem? really? How sad.
    Not seen this problem other than players having to turn down graphics some to improve performance/FPS.

The Detect Optimal Performance option is a suggestion but quite often it does not select the best options for the setup and play style. Sometimes it is just wrong especially when first used.

Best to start off low and work your way up the settings, trying each until you get the performance and FPS you are happy with.

if it doesn't make any difference setting it really low or ultra, then something is wrong.

Good luck with the ticket.

I've got the same problem - I just can't get a decent frame rate out of the Mac client regardless of graphical settings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaro View Post
    I've got the same problem - I just can't get a decent frame rate out of the Mac client regardless of graphical settings etc.
    Mine just tanked after the patch. Before it was running WAY better than the windows client under Crossover did. Now it's consistently bad no matter what settings I play under, really low or really high. Did it ever run smoothly for you or has it been pretty rough since you first installed the client?

Mine just tanked after the patch. Before it was running WAY better than the windows client under Crossover did. Now it's consistently bad no matter what settings I play under, really low or really high. Did it ever run smoothly for you or has it been pretty rough since you first installed the client?
    Guys, firstly, if you are having issues with the beta Mac client do make sure to initially check the forum here but also Submit a Ticket

In this way Turbine are made aware of a potential issue with the beta Mac client and can aid you directly in fixing the problem. Provide as much detail as is useful including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc. In this case also Graphics card details, location of problems (Rohan, other areas, instances etc.).

The difference with this and to Submit A Bug Report is that Turbine will respond and try to help you address the issue. It also makes them aware of an issue. Submitting both does no harm but if it's something really effecting your play then I would open a ticket.

The same goes for posting here. Please try to give at least a basic run down of your own Mac setup which can help others try to help you. You can do this by;

To try to work out what could be causing the issue can you provide a bit more detail on your Mac. You can get this information from:

1. In the Finder click on the Apple icon on the top left of the menu bar (top of screen) and click on About This Mac > More Info....

2. Copy/Paste each line in that page, for example my setup;

iMac
    27-inch, Mid 2011
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
    Serial Number N/A
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
    I can only reiterate that I have seen no such issues on my iMac before or since the Update 8.0.1 patch. I do have a higher spec model which may disguise any of the issues you are experiencing. Looking at the changes made in that patch in the beta Mac client there is little (probably just compatibility tweaks for the new patch) and nothing obvious that would make a change before/ after in terms of FPS rates.

It may be that it is an issue with graphics files becoming corrupted in some way. or other issues with the Mac (overheating, RAM issues) But without details it is hard to start to troubleshoot.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 26 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Lightbulb Try resetting SMC

I've run into this problem with my rMBP and I've found that it will happen no matter what program I try to run. To fix this, I have to shut down the machine and reset the smc. I've probably done it ten or so times since getting the computer.

I haven't found any pattern in what causes this to happen, and I've not had success with Apple figuring out what's going on.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by medgno View Post
    I've run into this problem with my rMBP and I've found that it will happen no matter what program I try to run. To fix this, I have to shut down the machine and reset the smc. I've probably done it ten or so times since getting the computer.

I haven't found any pattern in what causes this to happen, and I've not had success with Apple figuring out what's going on.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for posting the tip medgno. Resetting the SMC is one of a number of general Mac Troubleshooting options that players can be trying as it does point more to computer side issues, and perhaps from info so far, Macbooks.

Check this good guide which is up to date;

Basic Mac Troubleshooting

And there is some useful FPS specific advice here, which is for Diablo 3 from Blizzard but still useful for troubleshooting games generally for low FPS issues.

Here's my MacBook specs:-

MacBook Pro
    17" Mid 2009
    Processor: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 M GT 512MB
    Software: OS X 10.8.2

My problem is just erratic frame rates. If I switch the frame rate monitor on it jumps all over the place - up to 30-ish, then down to 5. And you see it as you're running, on a horse etc - it just stutters, then its fine, then it stutters. If I drop graphics down to low, it does the same thing - the only difference being a slightly higher fps at the top end - so it will bounce between 5fps and maybe 40fps.

Its slightly better if I reboot and run nothing up before Lotro, but its still really all over the place. If I use Windows in BootCamp on the same machine I get steady framerates between 25 and 35fps.

I've tried reinstalling, playing with graphics settings, removing all the preference files, resetting the smc and it makes no difference.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Here's my MacBook specs:-

MacBook Pro
    17" Mid 2009
    Processor: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 M GT 512MB
    Software: OS X 10.8.2

My problem is just erratic frame rates. If I switch the frame rate monitor on it jumps all over the place - up to 30-ish, then down to 5. And you see it as you're running, on a horse etc - it just stutters, then its fine, then it stutters. If I drop graphics down to low, it does the same thing - the only difference being a slightly higher fps at the top end - so it will bounce between 5fps and maybe 40fps.

Its slightly better if I reboot and run nothing up before Lotro, but its still really all over the place. If I use Windows in BootCamp on the same machine I get steady framerates between 25 and 35fps.

I've tried reinstalling, playing with graphics settings, removing all the preference files, resetting the smc and it makes no difference.

Any ideas would be gratefully received
    Firstly, if you are having issues with the beta Mac client Submit a Ticket

In this way Turbine are made aware of a potential issue with the beta Mac client and can aid you directly in fixing the problem. Provide as much detail as is useful including computer spec/ RAM, OS version etc. In this case also Graphics card details, location of problems (Rohan, other areas, instances etc.).

It is looking like the issue is specific to Macbooks and Nvidia or the Intel integrated cards from the specs posted so far.

Because it runs OK in Bootcamp doesn't mean that it wont have issues running natively on the Mac client. LOTRO uses OpenGL on the Mac with different drivers etc. So it may be an issue with the drivers (ATI seems OK) or overheating which causes similar symptoms that you report. Also they can be symptoms of faulty RAM or other hardware issues now becoming an issue with the extra demands made by the update RoR client (greater use of higher resolution graphics files etc., game mechanics, content) and the differences with the Mac client.

Have you check the temperature using both the Mac client and the PC one? You can use a free app like Temperature Monitor on the Mac. Run the client and observe the temperatures especially the graphics card. Try to improve cooling generally might help.

Run AHT (Apple Hardware Test) to help discount a hardware issue (though it is not a100% foolproof check)

Because the drivers on the Mac are within the OS it is not possible to try different ones. If this is the issue then Turbine will need to fix the issue there end in coordination with Apple.

You didn't say if you had the same issue where it worked fine before Update 8.0.1? or it's always done this.

From checking the differences, I do not see anything that was changed in the Mac client that could have caused such a difference, but then again I have no way to be certain. It does however point more to some other issue as discussed above.

Try to google around and see if other games also have an issue with the Macbook and card you have.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 01 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    Firstly, if you are having issues with the beta Mac client Submit a Ticket

It is looking like the issue is specific to Macbooks and Nvidia or the Intel integrated cards from the specs posted so far.

Because it runs OK in Bootcamp doesn't mean that it wont have issues running natively on the Mac client. LOTRO uses OpenGL on the Mac with different drivers etc. So it may be an issue with the drivers (ATI seems OK) or overheating which causes similar symptoms that you report. Also they can be symptoms of faulty RAM or other hardware issues now becoming an issue with the extra demands made by the update RoR client (greater use of higher resolution graphics files etc., game mechanics, content) and the differences with the Mac client.

Have you check the temperature using both the Mac client and the PC one? You can use a free app like Temperature Monitor on the Mac. Run the client and observe the temperatures especially the graphics card. Try to improve cooling generally might help.

Run AHT (Apple Hardware Test) to help discount a hardware issue (though it is not a100% foolproof check)

Because the drivers on the Mac are within the OS it is not possible to try different ones. If this is the issue then Turbine will need to fix the issue there end in coordination with Apple.

You didn't say if you had the same issue where it worked fine before Update 8.0.1? or it's always done this.

From checking the differences, I do not see anything that was changed in the Mac client that could have caused such a difference, but then again I have no way to be certain. It does however point more to some other issue as discussed above.

Try to google around and see if other games also have an issue with the Macbook and card you have.
    Thanks for the reply.

I totally understand what you're saying about the bootcamp / native OS X differences - I mentioned it more to discount network issues or a general hardware problem with the Mac, rather than to attempt a direct comparison between the two. Its been like this since the closed beta - when it was closed beta I put it down to the fact we were all on a single server, so I assumed I'd have slowdown etc.

I'll have a look at the temperature monitor - I'm not sure how far this will get me as the MacBook runs quite cool in OS X. In Bootcamp its red hot with the fans going beserk I'll also do some more Googling and raise a bug.

One thing I do find odd is that the game doesn't go to a full fixed screen, in that I can still use Mission Control and swipe between screens when playing in full screen mode. Any other game I play on my Mac doesn't allow this, which to me makes sense. In fact, when I use to play Lotro using Wine I couldn't use Mission Control etc, either. Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply.

I totally understand what you're saying about the bootcamp / native OS X differences - I mentioned it more to discount network issues or a general hardware problem with the Mac, rather than to attempt a direct comparison between the two. Its been like this since the closed beta - when it was closed beta I put it down to the fact we were all on a single server, so I assumed I'd have slowdown etc.

I'll have a look at the temperature monitor - I'm not sure how far this will get me as the MacBook runs quite cool in OS X. In Bootcamp its red hot with the fans going beserk I'll also do some more Googling and raise a bug.

One thing I do find odd is that the game doesn't go to a full fixed screen, in that I can still use Mission Control and swipe between screens when playing in full screen mode. Any other game I play on my Mac doesn't allow this, which to me makes sense. In fact, when I use to play Lotro using Wine I couldn't use Mission Control etc, either. Just a thought.
    It's good to use Bootcamp to discount things like network issues like you mention.

the beta Mac client does not support proper Full Screen even though it says this in the Options. It is in fact a Windowed Full Screen mode. You can see this because in Full Screen you can move the mouse to the top edge and it will reveal the Finder menu bar. It's also one of the causes of the chat and click move facing bug I suspect (issue of focus)

Even changing the .plist doesn't alter this;

<key>Display.AllowFakeFullScre en</key>
    <string>False</string>
    It's set in the app itself (like the default resolution)

if they could get it working as true Full Screen it may well help the other issues. WoW has all three modes and they all work with no issues but then it's a different beast

Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    It's good to use Bootcamp to discount things like network issues like you mention.

the beta Mac client does not support proper Full Screen even though it says this in the Options. It is in fact a Windowed Full Screen mode. You can see this because in Full Screen you can move the mouse to the top edge and it will reveal the Finder menu bar. It's also one of the causes of the chat and click move facing bug I suspect (issue of focus)

Even changing the .plist doesn't alter this;

It's set in the app itself (like the default resolution)

if they could get it working as true Full Screen it may well help the other issues. WoW has all three modes and they all work with no issues but then it's a different beast
    Quick update - I've been playing around with various things all night and two things seemed to have helped. The first is related to the fullscreen issue. As its not "proper" fullscreen, OS X is still responding to gestures. I noticed that if I did a gesture on the trackpad, even one that didn't actually require OS X to do anything (like pinch) the frame rate would plummet momentarily. I turned off all gestures, relaunched Lotro and things are a lot more stable.

The second thing I did was to watch in Activity Monitor what was going after a reboot and with only Lotro launched. MDS Worker (the Spotlight process) seemed to be bobbing up and down in CPU usage. I moved the Lotro app out of Applications and into a seperate folder, and then excluded that folder from Spotlight. Relaunched Lotro and hey presto the bizarre frame rate issue has gone. Previously, even with my character stood still, the frame rate was all over the place. Now its pretty solid.

I'm not sure whether the above has actually helped or whether its the time of night I'm now testing etc, but my frame rate is pretty solid and I'm seeing over 30fps, which I have never seen on the Mac client ever.

I'm going to have a good play of it tomorrow with these changes and see if its any better. Fingers crossed!!

Quick update - I've been playing around with various things all night and two things seemed to have helped. The first is related to the fullscreen issue. As its not "proper" fullscreen, OS X is still responding to gestures. I noticed that if I did a gesture on the trackpad, even one that didn't actually require OS X to do anything (like pinch) the frame rate would plummet momentarily. I turned off all gestures, relaunched Lotro and things are a lot more stable.

The second thing I did was to watch in Activity Monitor what was going after a reboot and with only Lotro launched. MDS Worker (the Spotlight process) seemed to be bobbing up and down in CPU usage. I moved the Lotro app out of Applications and into a seperate folder, and then excluded that folder from Spotlight. Relaunched Lotro and hey presto the bizarre frame rate issue has gone. Previously, even with my character stood still, the frame rate was all over the place. Now its pretty solid.

I'm not sure whether the above has actually helped or whether its the time of night I'm now testing etc, but my frame rate is pretty solid and I'm seeing over 30fps, which I have never seen on the Mac client ever.

I'm going to have a good play of it tomorrow with these changes and see if its any better. Fingers crossed!!
    Good work! Glad it is paying off.

One thing I noticed while testing was a lot of error messages in the Console which turned out to be a known and wide spread issue introduced in 10.8.2 which is causing some issues including slow boot times, generally sluggish performance etc. I am in Bootcamp atm installing Windows 8 so I can't confirm the exact issue but it is related to TM backups and Spotlight going pretty mad. So it may well be related to that.

Hopefully they bring out 10.8.3 soon to address this. it's been the worst update for a while on the OS X.

edit: It is this issue, one example forum thread explaining the issue. Plenty of others also;

10.8.2 - mdworker: Unable to talk to lsboxd

Success

Quote Originally Posted by medgno View Post

Hope this helps!
    This TOTALLY fixed the issue. It runs beautifully, just like it did before I patched. I'll be interested to see if I need to repeat after the next patch. Thanks so much! Figures, the one thing I didn't try.

Also, thanks Toddlepip, you're super patient and helpful.

This TOTALLY fixed the issue. It runs beautifully, just like it did before I patched. I'll be interested to see if I need to repeat after the next patch. Thanks so much! Figures, the one thing I didn't try.

Also, thanks Toddlepip, you're super patient and helpful.
    Happy to help. Glad it is working well for you

Resetting the smc is a useful practice if you experience any graphical glitches on a Mac. I found my start up screen was really dark for some reason. Resetting the smc sorted it in less than a minute. It is not an obvious or well known routine but worth considering in these types of cases.

Looking forward to 10.8.3 to hopefully sort these really annoying startup/ shutdown times and errors.

The Graphics Settings on the Mac Client are broken, and have been since the original Beta.
    In particular, the "Detect Optimal Settings" button.

Let the game run on the default settings. You can click the "default graphics button." (and then fix your screen size.)
    Don't try to "crank them up" - it doesn't work, and only seems to make things worse.

The settings will all show as "high" but they are apparently "matched" to the capabilities of the Mac's Open GL.
    The Mac Client default settings are quite impressive. I have run under WINE for several years with the settings cranked all the way up, and the Mac Client is so much improved in comparison. ... AND no frame-rate penalties as I saw under WINE.

Keep in mind that Retna displays are NOT supported because of their ultra high resolution -- there is no character set available in the client to make things readable.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (106)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The Graphics Settings on the Mac Client are broken, and have been since the original Beta.
    In particular, the "Detect Optimal Settings" button.

Let the game run on the default settings. You can click the "default graphics button." (and then fix your screen size.)
    Don't try to "crank them up" - it doesn't work, and only seems to make things worse.

The settings will all show as "high" but they are apparently "matched" to the capabilities of the Mac's Open GL.
    The Mac Client default settings are quite impressive. I have run under WINE for several years with the settings cranked all the way up, and the Mac Client is so much improved in comparison. ... AND no frame-rate penalties as I saw under WINE.

Keep in mind that Retna displays are NOT supported because of their ultra high resolution -- there is no character set available in the client to make things readable.
    The problem of using the Default Graphics setting, at least for my set up, is that it sets a lot below what it is capable of and importantly it sets Texture Detail down to High from Very High, which effectively disables the high res .dat files which 'most' systems can handle.

When I set it to default they are not all set to High but to various settings from Low > Medium and quite a bit disabled, on top of the disabled high res graphics.

I think, like with most things, set it low then crank things up individually until you get a good balance of graphics quality v performance v play style/ content. Bearing in mind that certain settings, like Specular Lighting even with a great set up does not work correctly so better disabled until it is sorted.