We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Sad Torech beams?

Hi all! I am wondering about the Norcroft's (Cliving) daily Hytbold quest: Sad Torech. There are jumps you can make by placing beams in this instance and I was wondering if there is a point to them besides just personal challenge and the vases that you can get much more easily on the ground? Has anyone discovered a deed and/or title associated with this, or any point to try and do it? I spent a long time this afternoon hopping around above the bridges and on rooftops, but did not seem to trigger anything, though it was pretty fun! Just curious....I did a forum and Google search and came up with nothing.
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]
    [color=cyan]Leader of founding Kinship Elenhilde on Meneldor[/color]

I don't think there is, because I spent quite some time today doing that also! Didn't find anything remarkable even at the top of the scaffolding next to the entrance, which would seem the likely place due to having to traverse to opposite side of instance, then traverse a harder (and potentially instant death on bad steps) path back over to it. I eventually got bored of chucking javelins down on hapless drakes below me til they died and running around on rooftops, so I left without ever finding anything.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000245f06/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I know, it just seems odd to have something like this without a point? They usually give us a title or something, as in Ost Galadh in Mirkwood...I wonder if there is a certain pattern you have to do to trigger it.
    [color=purple]Cefely Elenhilde of Rivendell, lvl 85 Hunter;[/color][color=turquoise] Nenriel Lirulind of Lorien, lvl 85 Minstrel;[/color][color=hotpink] Cherrie Berry of the Fallohides, lvl 85 Burglar;[/color][color=green] Harloe Palohelm of Rohan, lvl 85 Warden;[/color][color=red] Ayan Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 85 Captain;[/color][color=yellow] Onja Anfalase of Gondor, lvl 83 Champion[/color]

Sometimes it's the remnant of an idea, or a mutation of an idea that didn't quite come out as planned. Over the course of a development process, some ideas get more complex, others less so.

For instance, it's been told in interviews that Skirmishes originated as an idea for a mini-game, and one of the inspirations was a fortress siege game where you had to aim and fire artillery. Protectors of Thangulhad seems to have been an attempt at that, but you could hardly say you can aim or really do much of anything with those ballistas but fire them. With Rohan, war-steed controls were retooled several times, and it was mentioned that they were once more complex than they are now. And there's also Moria, where once there was an idea for having players use special dwarf lamps to find hidden doors that led to various dungeons. The quests for these areas made it to the lorebook at one point, but the idea was scrapped before release, and the maps reused for the crafting instances.

The same might be true here. This is entirely speculation, but perhaps the platforming idea might have once been more integral or complex, or it might have been planned to lead to more? But over the course of development, it was cut short or scaled back due to feedback on difficulty?

"Life is 10% what you make it, and 90% how you take it." - Irving Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzi View Post
    Sometimes it's the remnant of an idea, or a mutation of an idea that didn't quite come out as planned. Over the course of a development process, some ideas get more complex, others less so.

For instance, it's been told in interviews that Skirmishes originated as an idea for a mini-game, and one of the inspirations was a fortress siege game where you had to aim and fire artillery. Protectors of Thangulhad seems to have been an attempt at that, but you could hardly say you can aim or really do much of anything with those ballistas but fire them. With Rohan, war-steed controls were retooled several times, and it was mentioned that they were once more complex than they are now. And there's also Moria, where once there was an idea for having players use special dwarf lamps to find hidden doors that led to various dungeons. The quests for these areas made it to the lorebook at one point, but the idea was scrapped before release, and the maps reused for the crafting instances.

The same might be true here. This is entirely speculation, but perhaps the platforming idea might have once been more integral or complex, or it might have been planned to lead to more? But over the course of development, it was cut short or scaled back due to feedback on difficulty?
    Hmmm...could be, and it's odd that this one is inside of another quest too. It's baffling!

I feel like I have been everywhere they intended and maybe even places they didn't in that instance and can't find anything either. If anyone figures something out, I would love to hear it. I was hoping there was a secret deed, too...it's fun showing off titles no one else seems to have!

This is actually very cool! I didn't even realize the beams existed until I read this thread because I've just been going in, grabbing what I needed for the quest and leaving again.

I spent some time playing around with the the beams today but they do just seem to go back and forth with no real purpose unless I'm missing something, which is of course entirely possible. I would love it if this was part of a quest of some sort.
    Last edited by ShadowPet; Nov 16 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: removal of stubborn extra letter

Has anyone picked up all the vases in this instance?

Maybe there is a hidden deed for picking up each vase in here? I am almost willing to bet this is a hidden deed. There wouldn't be anything to proc about the beam crossing for a deed bc the beams do not go in any particular path (like ridge racer). They always seem to go toward hard to reach vases or ones behind hidden rooms (like one in southwest corner). Being that you can only pick up 4 per instance, this would make for an interesting hidden deed where you slowly track and collect all of them.

I'd be more surprised if there was not a hidden deed with recovering all the vases.

In spending a lot of time in here today, I noticed that Vases exist in every end point or high point that you can reach. For example on the scaffolding, arches, roof tops, and hidden rooms there are 1-2 of them.
    Last edited by JTollers; Nov 25 2012 at 02:21 PM.
    TheInklingsKin.com

I think those beams are left over from development using 3D software. I bug reported them both in beta and after.
    Last edited by Norwrei; Nov 25 2012 at 03:18 PM.

I too had wondered about the beams. Today I went exploring and found the way up. Unfortunately every beam I attached I would fall though when I tried to walk on them. I have /bug'ed it.

Bug still there to thsi day

This "bug" is still there.