I have found a way to skip all this each time at launch using a workaround as follows (Do read the note below it is important):
Issue: on launch LOTRO Mac Beta Client downloads all EN/DE/FR Loading Screens (x10 each) every time the game is launched, even if they have been downloaded before. This causes a delay in getting to the login stage.
Workround: Locking the first .jpg file which is downloaded will cause the launcher to skip this process each time. Do this by;
1. Navigate to the first of these image files at;
Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/raw/en/logo
Copy and Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.
2. In this folder, the first file should be lotro_ad_pregame.jpg. Right click this file and select Get Info. in the second panel called General (you may need to open the panel by clicking the small arrow to the left), click the button labelled Locked to lock this file. This prevents any changes to it.
3. Close the window and launch LOTRO. It should now show Initializing... and only briefly show Downloading "EN Lotro Splash Screen" then go directly to the Update then Username/Password windows.
IMPORTANT! Locking the file will prevent the advert image files from being updated and perhaps also cause issues for any further updates. Unlock this file before any future update/patch. Then see if the issue is still happening and relock if preferred. Remember, this is a workaround, not a fix.
You will need Admin permissions to lock the file.
In the LotroLauncher.log file you will get the following:
This is because we locked the file and prevent the update so it is normal for this workaround. The game will launch and function fine.Code:2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] ../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp, 54 > "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!" 2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] Patcher::OnRawDownloadFailure> "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!"
The issue is caused because the client is not currently checking correctly the version of the existing files hence it is downloading each time. This needs to be fixed by Turbine.
Hope this helps. It is a lot nicer not having to wait on launch each time with a slower connection.
A slightly more elegant solution is to edit one of the files which does the same thing, in fact you don't have to download any of the files at all. The process is easy and uses the default Mac text app Textedit.
Edit DownloadFilesList.xml Method
1. Navigate to the file DownloadFilesList;
Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml
Copy/Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.
2. Make a copy of the file as a backup by dragging it and hold the Alt key so it makes a copy not just an Alias.
3. Right click the file and click Open With and select Applications > TextEdit. This will open a text window with the contents of this file.
4. If the file is not plain text go to the TextEdit menu Format > Make Plain Text.
Now cut out the entries below the first one so that it looks like this (or select all text with Cmd-A and copy paste this text);
5. Save the change and close the file. You may or may not need to lock this file. Try without then lock if it changes back.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
Now, when you launch the Lotrolauncher it will skip all screenshot re-downloads and go directly to the Log in stage. Basically the same as locking the file except no downloads and faster still.
NOTE: REMEMBER TO DO THIS BEFORE ANY FUTURE PATCH UPDATE.
Before applying any future patches just rename the file to DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml and it will then recreate the default file. Let it download the new ones, then remove the new one and rename DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml to DownloadFilesList.xml version back to the original DownloadFilesList.xml and lock again. I colour all my files so that I can see any new files easily.