We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation [Workaround] - Downloading LOTRO Splash Screens Each Launch

I have found a way to skip all this each time at launch using a workaround as follows (Do read the note below it is important):

Issue: on launch LOTRO Mac Beta Client downloads all EN/DE/FR Loading Screens (x10 each) every time the game is launched, even if they have been downloaded before. This causes a delay in getting to the login stage.

Workround: Locking the first .jpg file which is downloaded will cause the launcher to skip this process each time. Do this by;

1. Navigate to the first of these image files at;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/raw/en/logo
    Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)

Copy and Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.

2. In this folder, the first file should be lotro_ad_pregame.jpg. Right click this file and select Get Info. in the second panel called General (you may need to open the panel by clicking the small arrow to the left), click the button labelled Locked to lock this file. This prevents any changes to it.

3. Close the window and launch LOTRO. It should now show Initializing... and only briefly show Downloading "EN Lotro Splash Screen" then go directly to the Update then Username/Password windows.

NOTE:

IMPORTANT! Locking the file will prevent the advert image files from being updated and perhaps also cause issues for any further updates. Unlock this file before any future update/patch. Then see if the issue is still happening and relock if preferred. Remember, this is a workaround, not a fix.

You will need Admin permissions to lock the file.

In the LotroLauncher.log file you will get the following:

Code:
    2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] ../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp, 54 >  "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!" 
    2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] Patcher::OnRawDownloadFailure>  "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!"
    This is because we locked the file and prevent the update so it is normal for this workaround. The game will launch and function fine.

The issue is caused because the client is not currently checking correctly the version of the existing files hence it is downloading each time. This needs to be fixed by Turbine.

Hope this helps. It is a lot nicer not having to wait on launch each time with a slower connection.

------------------------------

UPDATE 16/11/12:

A slightly more elegant solution is to edit one of the files which does the same thing, in fact you don't have to download any of the files at all. The process is easy and uses the default Mac text app Textedit.

Edit DownloadFilesList.xml Method

1. Navigate to the file DownloadFilesList;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml
    Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)

Copy/Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.

2. Make a copy of the file as a backup by dragging it and hold the Alt key so it makes a copy not just an Alias.

3. Right click the file and click Open With and select Applications > TextEdit. This will open a text window with the contents of this file.

4. If the file is not plain text go to the TextEdit menu Format > Make Plain Text.

Now cut out the entries below the first one so that it looks like this (or select all text with Cmd-A and copy paste this text);

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <FileList>
    <File>

</File>
    </FileList>
    5. Save the change and close the file. You may or may not need to lock this file. Try without then lock if it changes back.

Now, when you launch the Lotrolauncher it will skip all screenshot re-downloads and go directly to the Log in stage. Basically the same as locking the file except no downloads and faster still.

NOTE: REMEMBER TO DO THIS BEFORE ANY FUTURE PATCH UPDATE.

Before applying any future patches just rename the file to DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml and it will then recreate the default file. Let it download the new ones, then remove the new one and rename DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml to DownloadFilesList.xml version back to the original DownloadFilesList.xml and lock again. I colour all my files so that I can see any new files easily.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 19 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updated method 2.

Worked like a charm.

Thank you for sharing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000017b961/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by BaitMaster View Post
    Worked like a charm.

Thank you for sharing.
    Happy to help share the Mac love.
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Where is the LotroLauncher.log file pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse_Mistress View Post
    Where is the LotroLauncher.log file pls?
    see: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

Note however, the "LotroLauncher.log" file rarely contains any useful information.
    Similarly, the com.turbine.lotroclient log files no longer appear to update
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Brilliant - thanks for this workaround!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skaro View Post
    Brilliant - thanks for this workaround!!!
    Just glad the workaround works to avoid this issue for you
    Gaspard Strongpole - Hunter on Eldar : Mac Player - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

The file-locking-method is working fine Thanks for that!
    Additionally to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddlepip View Post
    If you use a DE or FR client you may need to lock the first file in those folders found at the same directory except change this at the end .../raw/de/logo/lotro_ad_pregame_de.jpg for DE or .../raw/fr/logo/lotro_ad_pregame_fr.jpg.
    I'm using DE localization but also have to lock the EN version because it downloads first the EN, secondly the DE and third the FR. So this quote of the original post can be crossed out.
    And if you are using EN and want to have the latest screens you can lock the DE file and EN will get updated but not DE and FR.

Sadly the edit-DownloadFilesList.xml-method does NOT work for me.
    It replaces the DownloadFilesList.xml when starting up the launcher and then downloading the screens. Is this maybe caused of the newest version? (I just installed LotRo yesterday the 01. Dec. 2012 the first time ever.)
    May I forget something? It's just editing the file, isn't it? (Of course with saving...)
    Last edited by Sen4622; Dec 03 2012 at 07:37 AM.
    Have a nice day!
    Sen
    CHICKEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Sen4622 View Post
    The file-locking-method is working fine Thanks for that!
    Additionally to this:

I'm using DE localization but also have to lock the EN version because it downloads first the EN, secondly the DE and third the FR. So this quote of the original post can be crossed out.
    And if you are using EN and want to have the latest screens you can lock the DE file and EN will get updated but not DE and FR.

Sadly the edit-DownloadFilesList.xml-method does NOT work for me.
    It replaces the DownloadFilesList.xml when starting up the launcher and then downloading the screens. Is this maybe caused of the newest version? (I just installed LotRo yesterday the 01. Dec. 2012 the first time ever.)
    May I forget something? It's just editing the file, isn't it? (Of corse with saving...)
    Thanks for the feedback. That's helpful to confirm and I have edited the post to reflect this.

Also the second way should work but in a slightly different way i.e. by editing out all files so it doesn't download anything and is faster to login/pass and locking the DownloadFilesList.xml. Try it and see if it works for you. I have tried it a number of times and it seems to stick. You don't need the other file locked this way.

I have a feeling it tries to renew the file if you remove the .plist preference files or during a patch but locked should be OK.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 02 2012 at 11:20 AM.

NOTE: REMEMBER TO DO THIS BEFORE ANY FUTURE PATCH UPDATE.

[…] DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml to DownloadFilesList.xml version back to the original DownloadFilesList.xml and lock again.
    I think I got it.
    At the moment I can't test, but I didn't lock the DownloadFilesList.xml. I thought the second way would work without file locking, so you don't have to care about the manipulation at updates (just redo it maybe). That was my fault, because the locking is missing in the step-by-step description, but now is in the NOTE.

Anyway thanks
    Last edited by Sen4622; Dec 03 2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Have a nice day!
    Sen
    CHICKEN!

I think I got it.
    At the moment I can't test, but I didn't lock the DownloadFilesList.xml. I thought the second way would work without file locking, so you don't have to care about the manipulation at updates (just redo it maybe). That was my fault, because the locking is missing in the step-by-step description, but now is in the NOTE.

Anyway thanks
    The second method does work without locking the file But it will reset if you do anything with the .plist preferences files, and why I changed it and suggested to lock it also. It will change with a patch also. Not sure how it will be switching between live and Bullroarer if not locked.

The second method does work without locking the file But it will reset if you do anything with the .plist preferences files, and why I changed it and suggested to lock it also. It will change with a patch also. Not sure how it will be switching between live and Bullroarer if not locked.
    Hmm… I don't change anything in the .plist. Following happens:
    – change the file
    – start the launcher
    – launcher replaces during "initializing…" the file
    – (quit launcher or not yet – doesn't matter)
    – rechange the file
    – (re)start the launcher
    – launcher replaces the file
    – and so on…

I have checked the "Enter last-played world"-Box, but also tried with unchecked.

If I lock the file there is a expected entry in the log:
    Code:
    2012.12.03 20:08:01[C] ../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp, 54 >  "Failed to clear old version of [DownloadFilesList.xml], unable to update!"
    2012.12.03 20:08:01[C] Patcher::OnRawDownloadFailure>  "Failed to clear old version of [DownloadFilesList.xml], unable to update!"
    And it doesn't download the files, even if the DownloadFilesList.xml is the origin one!
    I wasn't able to find the "../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp" to look if we could patch this one.
    Have a nice day!
    Sen
    CHICKEN!

Hmm… I don't change anything in the .plist. Following happens:
    – change the file
    – start the launcher
    – launcher replaces during "initializing…" the file
    – (quit launcher or not yet – doesn't matter)
    – rechange the file
    – (re)start the launcher
    – launcher replaces the file
    – and so on…

I have checked the "Enter last-played world"-Box, but also tried with unchecked.

If I lock the file there is a expected entry in the log:
    Code:
    2012.12.03 20:08:01[C] ../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp, 54 >  "Failed to clear old version of [DownloadFilesList.xml], unable to update!"
    2012.12.03 20:08:01[C] Patcher::OnRawDownloadFailure>  "Failed to clear old version of [DownloadFilesList.xml], unable to update!"
    And it doesn't download the files, even if the DownloadFilesList.xml is the origin one!
    I wasn't able to find the "../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp" to look if we could patch this one.
    Yes, the com.turbine.LotroLauncher.plis t will always overwrite changes on launch. I'm not saying to write anything in that

What I am saying is that just change the DownloadFilesList.xml as instructed. It should not change on launch even if not locked (I just suggest it for the following reason). BUT, if you remove the .plist for any reason (reinstall etc.) or after a patch, the DownloadFilesList.xml will go to the default.

You can lock the .plist actually but it does generate a temp one which just writes the default for the launch.

I can't see how it would work like that. If you lock the original file it will just download the files as normal because the list is the same. Only by removing the list in the file does it prevent this. I just tested by removing the locked DownloadFilesList.xml file to the desktop and let it make a new one. Then quit, lock the new file and relaunch. It just downloads all the splash screens as before the fix.

Don't worry about other files. That is hidden within the .app and we can;t touch that. The fix stops the downloads which is the main thing.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 03 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Strange that there is so different behavior on our systems. I also didn't understand why it doesn't download the files with the origin file, I thought may because it makes a break at any failure.
    However I think we stop here as there is an working way.
    Have a nice day!
    Sen
    CHICKEN!

FWIW the second method only worked for me after I locked the xml file. Still a good hint, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia66 View Post
    FWIW the second method only worked for me after I locked the xml file. Still a good hint, thanks!
    Thanks for the observation. +rep.

I have updated the instructions to reflect that this may or may not be required (I don;t have to but some do as you note)

Quote Originally Posted by mmdoogie View Post
    Basically, Turbine has the slash backwards in their download list...

To fix this, you can open the list in your favorite text editor and do a find-and-replace, to replace \ with / everywhere.

Open your applications folder, right-click the LOTRO icon, select Show Package Contents, then go to Contents, Resources,
    right-click on "The Lord Of The Rings Online.app", select Show Package Contents, go to Contents, then Resources,
    and the file to open is DownloadFilesList.xml.

Or, you can do it quickly. Open Terminal and run this command.
    sed -i .bak -e's/\\/\//g' /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml

After this, the launcher will hit each file quickly but not download the screens unless they have changed.

Thank You!... simply never noticed that...

The backslash usage is a common thread for a number of different problems for the Mac Client ... making it clear that the writers did not normally deal with OSX, (or Unix, or Linux) but were in fact more comfortable with Windows, as no other operating system uses the backslash as a file separator.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

mmdoogie's back slash script worked perfectly. THANKS!!!!!!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000004b1a9/signature.png]Killydor[/charsig]

Wish I could try this, but I can't find either of the files/directories from either methods? Are they hidden files?
    Eglaniel's Roleplay Resource List
    your one-stop shop for all your roleplaying needs
    [Laurelin] Elven RP Community Feedback Thread
    is there nothing you would change?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnalee View Post
    Wish I could try this, but I can't find either of the files/directories from either methods? Are they hidden files?
    Yes, Apple in their infinite wisdom decided back about Lion, that the User never needed to visit the Library directory (folder) and hid it from the fFnder. -- However at the same time "The Apple Way" promulgated to Developers advocated that all application program support functions be placed in "~/Library/Application Support" -- which the user can't see! Duh!

Let me describe the two situations as relating to the LOTRO Mac Client.

1- Note also that there are TWO libraries -- /Library (slash Library), the System Library and ~/Library (tilde Library) the User's Library. Needless to say both Libraries have "Application Support" directories.

It is easiest visit them via the Terminal window, but that requires Unix (OSX) command line expertise.

To access them via the Finder, use the "Go" drop-down menu. Pressing the Command (alt) key while that menu is down, will add "Library" to the list. That entry is directly to the User's Library.

Alternately, you can use the "Go to Folder" option (Apple-Shift-G). This will generate a pop-up "Go to Folder" which ill be automatically filled in with "~/Library"... the User's Library.

Once there, you are "halfway" there... "Application Support" will contain "com.turbine.lotroclient" -- this is where your screenshots are stored, and where you create the "Plugins" folder for Luas, or "Music" folder for ABC files, etc.

2- Again in their advocating of the "The Apple Way" to developers, primarily so that Applications can be distributed through the "App Store," all Application programs are "bundled."

In "Finder Preferences,' "Advanced," if you have "Show all filename extensions" checked, you will see the extension ".app" at the end of each application in "/Applications." (Note that while there are again TWO -- "/Applications" and "~/Applications." The User's ~/Applications directory is rarely used by third-party developers.)

Once in /Applications, select "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app" and Right-Click, select "Show Package Contents."
    You are now "inside" the "application bundle" of the "Launcher" for the LOTRO Mac Client.

This top level folder "Contents," contains a number of other folders: "Resources" being the one of interest.
    Inside the "Resources" folder, you will find ANOTHER "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app" -- this is the actual game client.

Another Right-click and "Show Package Contents" and you will find another set of folder including another "Resources."

Inside this second "Resources" folder you will find all of the Game's data files, and the file : "DownloadFilesList.xml".

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client_File_Locations for more information
    Last edited by Valamar; Mar 12 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Does the mmdoogie's method have any side affects or is this safe to do and then forget about it?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000028b53b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Originally Posted by mmdoogie

To fix this, you can open the list in your favorite text editor and do a find-and-replace, to replace \ with / everywhere.

Open your applications folder, right-click the LOTRO icon, select Show Package Contents, then go to Contents, Resources,
    right-click on "The Lord Of The Rings Online.app", select Show Package Contents, go to Contents, then Resources,

sed -i .bak -e's/\\/\//g' /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml

After this, the launcher will hit each file quickly but not download the screens unless they have changed.

This worked pre update 11 but now I get a File directory not found error in the terminal when I try to run it. Any new suggestions (besides the obvious Turbine should fix this)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000004b1a9/signature.png]Killydor[/charsig]

just as a tip for our Windows using brosephs..

typically that downloadfileslist.xml would typically be found in a place something like:

C:\Users\YOURUSERHERE\AppData\Local\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\Launcher

in case someones wondering what these macdudes are talking about..

I just hacked out the FR and DE entries in the xml, and it does seem to skip downing them now..
    [COLOR=#ffa500][I]Hossi Smashi [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=#0000ff]Berenhad Halberen Berendur [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]Belberella [/COLOR][COLOR=#008080]Beerbo Burpo
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#afeeee]Bron Yr Aur[/COLOR][COLOR=#dda0dd]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#cccc33][B]Poxid - Snarlz[/B][/COLOR][/I]

Thumbs up

I just followed this and the screens loaded with lighting speed. I blinked and almost missed it. It was... a moving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by killykil View Post
    Originally Posted by mmdoogie

This worked pre update 11 but now I get a File directory not found error in the terminal when I try to run it. Any new suggestions (besides the obvious Turbine should fix this)
    Mac Player

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000002c5e44/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindis View Post
    I just followed this and the screens loaded with lighting speed. I blinked and almost missed it. It was... a moving experience.
    This is awesome.. I had the same... experience! Why did I not see this thread earlier??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast