We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Exclamation [Workaround] - Downloading LOTRO Splash Screens Each Launch

I have found a way to skip all this each time at launch using a workaround as follows (Do read the note below it is important):

Issue: on launch LOTRO Mac Beta Client downloads all EN/DE/FR Loading Screens (x10 each) every time the game is launched, even if they have been downloaded before. This causes a delay in getting to the login stage.

Workround: Locking the first .jpg file which is downloaded will cause the launcher to skip this process each time. Do this by;

1. Navigate to the first of these image files at;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/raw/en/logo
    Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)

Copy and Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.

2. In this folder, the first file should be lotro_ad_pregame.jpg. Right click this file and select Get Info. in the second panel called General (you may need to open the panel by clicking the small arrow to the left), click the button labelled Locked to lock this file. This prevents any changes to it.

3. Close the window and launch LOTRO. It should now show Initializing... and only briefly show Downloading "EN Lotro Splash Screen" then go directly to the Update then Username/Password windows.

NOTE:

IMPORTANT! Locking the file will prevent the advert image files from being updated and perhaps also cause issues for any further updates. Unlock this file before any future update/patch. Then see if the issue is still happening and relock if preferred. Remember, this is a workaround, not a fix.

You will need Admin permissions to lock the file.

In the LotroLauncher.log file you will get the following:

Code:
    2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] ../patcherui/rawdownloadflow.cpp, 54 >  "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!" 
    2012.11.06 16:48:32[C] Patcher::OnRawDownloadFailure>  "Failed to clear old version of [raw/en/logo/lotro_ad_pregame.jpg], unable to update!"
    This is because we locked the file and prevent the update so it is normal for this workaround. The game will launch and function fine.

The issue is caused because the client is not currently checking correctly the version of the existing files hence it is downloading each time. This needs to be fixed by Turbine.

Hope this helps. It is a lot nicer not having to wait on launch each time with a slower connection.

------------------------------

UPDATE 16/11/12:

A slightly more elegant solution is to edit one of the files which does the same thing, in fact you don't have to download any of the files at all. The process is easy and uses the default Mac text app Textedit.

Edit DownloadFilesList.xml Method

1. Navigate to the file DownloadFilesList;

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml
    Easiest way is in Finder, click Go in the menu bar (top of screen) and select Go To Folder... (or faster press together cmd+Shift+G keys)

Copy/Paste the file path above into the window and press Go.

2. Make a copy of the file as a backup by dragging it and hold the Alt key so it makes a copy not just an Alias.

3. Right click the file and click Open With and select Applications > TextEdit. This will open a text window with the contents of this file.

4. If the file is not plain text go to the TextEdit menu Format > Make Plain Text.

Now cut out the entries below the first one so that it looks like this (or select all text with Cmd-A and copy paste this text);

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <FileList>
    <File>

</File>
    </FileList>
    5. Save the change and close the file. You may or may not need to lock this file. Try without then lock if it changes back.

Now, when you launch the Lotrolauncher it will skip all screenshot re-downloads and go directly to the Log in stage. Basically the same as locking the file except no downloads and faster still.

NOTE: REMEMBER TO DO THIS BEFORE ANY FUTURE PATCH UPDATE.

Before applying any future patches just rename the file to DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml and it will then recreate the default file. Let it download the new ones, then remove the new one and rename DownloadFilesList-OLD.xml to DownloadFilesList.xml version back to the original DownloadFilesList.xml and lock again. I colour all my files so that I can see any new files easily.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Dec 19 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: updated method 2.

Worked like a charm.

Thank you for sharing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000017b961/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by BaitMaster View Post
    Worked like a charm.

Thank you for sharing.
    Happy to help share the Mac love.
    [I]Gaspard Strongpole[/I] - Hunter on [B]Eldar[/B] : [COLOR="#FF0000"]Mac Player[/COLOR] - iMac/27-inch, Late 2013/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB/OS X 10.10.5

Where is the LotroLauncher.log file pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse_Mistress View Post
    Where is the LotroLauncher.log file pls?
    see: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

Note however, the "LotroLauncher.log" file rarely contains any useful information.
    Similarly, the com.turbine.lotroclient log files no longer appear to update
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Brilliant - thanks for this workaround!!!

Exclamation I have this on my Windows 7 laptop :/

I have this on my Windows 7 laptop, dunno how to fix... :/
    Want to have different vitals? Click [URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info820-MPPatchforNPCRankVitalsplugin.html"]here[/URL]!

have the same problem on my macbook pro too. But i can't do anything; i can't even change the name of the lotto ordner in finder!
    What should I do? Installation took a long long time and the only problem is the launcher/patcher...

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm brand new to Mac and I just fixed this on my MacBook Pro by replacing all the back-slashes with / and it absolutely flies now.

For reference, I have change the name of my Application Launcher, dropping the TM from the end, as it was causing the infinite check error.

So for anyone else looking for the file to change (who has the Turbine installation - Not the Steam one) - This was where I found it:

Open Finder -> Applications -> Right-Click on "The Lord of the Rings Online" -> "Show Package Contents" -> "Contents" -> "Resources"
    -> Right click on "The Lord of the Rings Online TM" -> "Show Package Contents" -> "Contents" -> "Resources"
    -> Right Click on "DownloadFilesList.xml" -> "Open With" -> TextEdit
    -> In TextEdit, Click "Edit" -> 'Find" -> "Find and Replace" (or just press Alt-CMD-F)
    -> In the top box, enter "\" (without quotes)
    -> In the bottom box, enter "/" (without quotes)
    -> Click the "All" button (to the right of the "Replace With" box)
    -> Click "Done"

Relaunch the game.

Enjoy.

(Sorry for the really long-winded post, but it has taken me a while to figure out the exact order, based on earlier posts, and I just wanted something that's a little clearer for anybody who - like me - has only just started with Macs).

Quote Originally Posted by Xxalon View Post
    Thanks a lot guys.

I'm brand new to Mac and I just fixed this on my MacBook Pro by replacing all the back-slashes with / and it absolutely flies now.

For reference, I have change the name of my Application Launcher, dropping the TM from the end, as it was causing the infinite check error.

So for anyone else looking for the file to change (who has the Turbine installation - Not the Steam one) - This was where I found it:

Open Finder -> Applications -> Right-Click on "The Lord of the Rings Online" -> "Show Package Contents" -> "Contents" -> "Resources"
    -> Right click on "The Lord of the Rings Online TM" -> "Show Package Contents" -> "Contents" -> "Resources"
    -> Right Click on "DownloadFilesList.xml" -> "Open With" -> TextEdit
    -> In TextEdit, Click "Edit" -> 'Find" -> "Find and Replace" (or just press Alt-CMD-F)
    -> In the top box, enter "\" (without quotes)
    -> In the bottom box, enter "/" (without quotes)
    -> Click the "All" button (to the right of the "Replace With" box)
    -> Click "Done"

Relaunch the game.

Enjoy.
    I confirm it works like a charm.

Could somebody please add this to the first post?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000001ec2c/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hi,

sorry for pasting the wrong version, now in English :-)

I had the same problem on my Mac, screens loading at every start and DownloadFiles.xml getting recreated as well. I found an easy solution for this without locking or changing files:

Just create for each file in DownloadFiles.xml a symlink. ls -l shows something like this for every file:

raw\de\logo\lotro_ad_pregame_d e.jpg -> raw/de/logo/lotro_ad_pregame_de.jpg

I just wrote a little script to parse the xml file and create a symlink. So I can rerun this after every update if necessary. Just did it 2 or 3 weeks ago so I have to wait for a bigger update but it is working fine so far.

Bye,
    Mira
    Last edited by Miranox; Mar 04 2014 at 06:31 PM.

None of these workarounds seem to work for me and I am wondering if Turbine has changed the way it controls downloading these screens. I seem to have an intermittent problem, with an incredibly long wait (up to an hour) for all these screen to load. At other times it skips through them quickly and the game is up in minutes.

I have tried: Changing backslashes to forward slashes, deleting everything apart from the <File List> and <File> tags, locking the first jpg file to load. None of these make any difference. I have tried restating the Mac, rebooting my router, I have checked that the firewall is properly configured.

If it means anything, the problem seems to happen at peak times (evenings in the UK/Europe and at weekends) but that's not based on much data. I tried re-downloading the game with no success and in the process noticed that the connection to 'Happy Cloud' kept being interrupted, which makes me wonder if there is a server-side problem in the distribution of these resources?

At my wits end. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Hanfur; Nov 30 2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Mac Player since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Hanfur View Post
    None of these workarounds seem to work for me and I am wondering if Turbine has changed the way it controls downloading these screens. I seem to have an intermittent problem, with an incredibly long wait (up to an hour) for all these screen to load. At other times it skips through them quickly and the game is up in minutes.

I have tried: Changing backslashes to forward slashes, deleting everything apart from the <File List> and <File> tags, locking the first jpg file to load. None of these make any difference. I have tried restating the Mac, rebooting my router, I have checked that the firewall is properly configured.

If it means anything, the problem seems to happen at peak times (evenings in the UK/Europe and at weekends) but that's not based on much data. I tried re-downloading the game with no success and in the process noticed that the connection to 'Happy Cloud' kept being interrupted, which makes me wonder if there is a server-side problem in the distribution of these resources?

At my wits end. Any ideas?
    For a period of time the download process was "fixed." i.e. Turbine broke it completely.
    That has now been fixed agin in 15.1 -- so we'll have to wait to see what changes will work once the 30 downloads are taking place again.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    For a period of time the download process was "fixed." i.e. Turbine broke it completely.
    That has now been fixed agin in 15.1 -- so we'll have to wait to see what changes will work once the 30 downloads are taking place again.
    I'm no techie, but I am currently doing this:

In the folder:

/Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources

I did the following:

Locked the Raw folder

Locked individually each of the files in the 3 folders (i.e., about 33 files):
    /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/raw/de
    /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/raw/en
    /Applications/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/raw/fr

seems to work
    Hunter, TheBrightMelody, Withywindle -------------- Aurë entuluva!

Cool Downloading loading screens

Quote Originally Posted by Maegren View Post

In the folder:

I did the following:

Locked the Raw folder

seems to work
    I can confirm that this seems to work - at least it did for me. It is important to lock each file individually and not just the folders. It might be that once another update comes along, these files will need to be unlocked... but that is no problem.

Very nice Maegren... that was good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by HacyHo View Post
    I can confirm that this seems to work - at least it did for me. It is important to lock each file individually and not just the folders. It might be that once another update comes along, these files will need to be unlocked... but that is no problem.
    Note that this does not STOP the downloads, it merely causes them to fail immediately.

You still attempt to download all 30 screens, but because the destination files are locked, an error is generated and the launcher moves on to download the next file.

So, since each screen is roughly 300 - 600K, it WILL cut the time involved pretty significantly - but you still get the stupid downloading messages displayed. (Note that the entire raw folder download, all 30 files, is roughly 16 meg, so the savings is pretty substantial.)

In the longer term, assuming Turbine actually fixes this download so that the files are downloaded into the Game Client instead of the Launcher, this specific fix will no longer work nor be necessary. At that point, the original fix to the XML file will probably work again.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maegren View Post

In the folder:

I did the following:

Locked the Raw folder

seems to work
    What do you mean by you "locked" each folder? How do you do that? (and mine seem to be in Contents/Resources/raw/de/logo/...." whatever 'logo' is supposed to be I dunno)

I recently upgraded my Mac to Yosemite and now both DDO and LOTRO no longer start up, and I get stuck on "Downloading EN splash screen." Incredibly frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    What do you mean by you "locked" each folder? How do you do that? (and mine seem to be in Contents/Resources/raw/de/logo/...." whatever 'logo' is supposed to be I dunno)

I recently upgraded my Mac to Yosemite and now both DDO and LOTRO no longer start up, and I get stuck on "Downloading EN splash screen." Incredibly frustrating.
    Part of your problem is undoubtedly with permissions. This tends to be "normal" following an OSX upgrade.

1- Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility -- "Repair disk permissions"

2- see: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client#Allowing_multiple_u sers_on_a_single_machine

That chmod command can be run against both LOTRO and DDO -- the DDO names is "DDOLauncher.app"

3- Locking the folder means setting the permissions so that "Write" is denied -- that the folders are read only.

4- "Logo" is American Advertising slang. Technically it comes from "print media" -- where it is short for "Logotype" (which is really Greek) which is a graphic mark, emblem or symbol which identifies some particular entity.

5- Since you are running (trying to run) the German Client, keep the following in mind, as you will need to do it after EVERY Update.
    The EULA and TOS must be accepted via the ENGLISH version. (It's a bug from long-ao, that has supposedly been fixed, but...)
    A) Launch the launcher - do not enter userid or password
    B) Select English from the Language drop-down
    C) enter you userid and Password
    D) Accept the EULA and TOS agreements
    E) Quit the Launcher
    F) re-Launch and seled German of French version - enter your userid and password, and you should be good to go.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post

first, sorry it's been ages to reply to this.

this may have been fixed by today's patch update...but if not...

you lock a folder /file by

(1) highlighting it (left click)
    (2) bring up the folder / file menu (right click)
    (3) click on "get info"
    (4) at the top under "general", find the radar button called "locked"
    (5) click the "locked" radar button so that it is ticked
    (6) click on the red button to close the window
    (7) repeat a lot of times with the other files

hope that helps!!!!

Mae xxx
    Hunter, TheBrightMelody, Withywindle -------------- Aurë entuluva!