We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Happy Cloud installer installs, but then crashes when opening Installer Main Screen = can't reinstall game

    When I download the .pkg file to install the game and open it, the installer appears to install: that is, I get the installer completion screen.
    Then a rectangular gray window opens and (which I believe is trying to be the Happy Cloud LOTRO Installer Main Screen) immediately crashes. The LOTRO installer icon also appears briefly in my dock and then disappears.

    There is a .dmg icon still in my dock but it does nothing when I click on it and disappears when I close the "Installer Completion" window.

    The LOTRO installer app is in my app folder and the Happy Cloud icon is in my menu bar. When I double-click on the Installer icon, I get the same gray window for a split second, then it crashes and nothing happens.

    In other words, I get the screen on this page: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac...d_Installation
    with the green check in the center of the window. But I never get the screen to its left on that page with the splash screen and timer, etc. (Sorry I can't paste the images in for some reason.)

    Any help would be appreciated. I have dug through all of the technical support link in the sticky and ruled out several problems:

    Gatekeeper is not on.
    I have repaired all permissions using Disk Utility.
    I have rebooted my system to eliminate communication issues.
    I am not running any anti-virus or -malware programs.
    Time Machine is turned off.
    I have wiped files from all previous installations (and failed installations) from Turbine, LOTRO, LOTRO Installer, and Happy Cloud locations.

    I have used LOTRO on this very same Mac for 3 years. In fact, my HD failed and I reinstalled LOTRO three days ago, no problem. Then I started receiving a game error, couldn't find anything to remediate the error, and so uninstalled the game and tried to reinstall . . . and now here I am.

    I am on an iMac using Mountain Lion 10.8.5

    If relevant, here is the game error I was receiving before uninstalling and failing to reinstall: Game Error [36070352] The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters. [PlatformStringID_MustRunFromLa uncher]. I believe it occurred while trying to launch the game.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,576
    You are using the Happy Cloud installer not the LOTRO launcher.
    There is a problem with this approach. I think it used to work, but no longer does.

    Assuming you have allowed Happy Cloud to complete the download process (all 20GB for the complete game when patched to Update 15.)

    Do the following.
    done - 1- Run Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/ "repair disk permissions"

    2- If you used all of the defaults to install LOTRO, navigate to: /Users/Shared/Happycloud/Cache/The Lord of the Rings Online(tm).app

    Use that to launch LOTRO.

    3- When the LOTRO Launcher appears, before you enter your userid and password, go to the dock and right-click on the ring and select Options/Keep in Dock.

    In the future, you will be able to launch LOTRO directly from that ring in the Dock.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

    Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by jdouge View Post
    If relevant, here is the game error I was receiving before uninstalling and failing to reinstall: Game Error [36070352] The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters. [PlatformStringID_MustRunFromLa uncher]. I believe it occurred while trying to launch the game.
    LOTRO has two components -- a Launcher and a Game Client -- both are contained in the basic "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app" file.

    If you encounter a game crash, the "dump display" has two buttons "continue and ok" -- you cannot continue -- that will generate the error above because the Launcher must provide the "command-line parameters" to the Game Client in order for it to work.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

    Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    You are using the Happy Cloud installer not the LOTRO launcher.
    There is a problem with this approach. I think it used to work, but no longer does.

    Assuming you have allowed Happy Cloud to complete the download process (all 20GB for the complete game when patched to Update 15.)

    Do the following.
    done - 1- Run Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/ "repair disk permissions"

    2- If you used all of the defaults to install LOTRO, navigate to: /Users/Shared/Happycloud/Cache/The Lord of the Rings Online(tm).app

    Use that to launch LOTRO.

    3- When the LOTRO Launcher appears, before you enter your userid and password, go to the dock and right-click on the ring and select Options/Keep in Dock.

    In the future, you will be able to launch LOTRO directly from that ring in the Dock.
    Thanks for the response!

    I repaired disk permissions again, but all I have inside when I navigate to the Cache folder indicated above are two files without extensions and an .hci file (Tried to post a screenshot but can't put an image file into this post as far as I can tell).
    The files are called "man_lotro_mac_highres_en_full "; "hcp _lotro_mac_highres_en_full" the third is "persistence.hci". They are binary files that are mere kilobytes in size. If I open them in Terminal, they come up as error logs. Probably failed download files?

    I don't think the 20GB app file has downloaded. (Spotlight doesn't find any app files named or containing LOTRO other than the LOTRO installer app described below.)

    When I download from the button on the LOTRO.com page: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download
    I get a .pkg file that I open and it runs through the first several screens shown on this page: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac...d_Installation
    That program announces that it has installed the installer, and closes. The installer tries to open, but crashes. When I locate the installer (as an app in my Applications folder) it is a gold ring, but it is not the LOTRO app. It is called "LOTRO Installer." It crashes immediately (sometimes I get a brief installer splash screen). So the game files are never getting to my Mac. (I think.)

    Is there an alternate process of getting the app file onto my Mac? Or am I somehow doing some part of this installation process wrong?

    Thanks for any help

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    LOTRO has two components -- a Launcher and a Game Client -- both are contained in the basic "The Lord of the Rings Online™.app" file.

    If you encounter a game crash, the "dump display" has two buttons "continue and ok" -- you cannot continue -- that will generate the error above because the Launcher must provide the "command-line parameters" to the Game Client in order for it to work.
    Argh. Unfortunately I fought with it a bit, couldn't find a KB article that explained what was wrong and what to do, so I uninstalled the client, intending to reinstall it with ease and carry on . . . and fell into the trap I landed in above.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by jdouge View Post
    Argh. Unfortunately I fought with it a bit, couldn't find a KB article that explained what was wrong and what to do, so I uninstalled the client, intending to reinstall it with ease and carry on . . . and fell into the trap I landed in above.
    I have the exact same problem?and now windows user going to upgrade their U16?i can only sit here and watching LOTRO Developer Update 16 Sneak Peek....

    Please.... anyone.... help...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by jdouge View Post
    Argh. Unfortunately I fought with it a bit, couldn't find a KB article that explained what was wrong and what to do, so I uninstalled the client, intending to reinstall it with ease and carry on . . . and fell into the trap I landed in above.
    Guarantee you won't find a KB article on anything to do with the Mac Client -- there have never been any.
    Solutions for the PC Client simply do not apply.

    To start over ---
    1- Delete the folder (and all its contents) -- /User/Shared/HappyCloud
    2- Delete the Application /Applications/LOTRO installer.app
    3- Delete the folder (and all its contents) -- ~/library/TheHappyCloud.LOTRO-Installer
    -- In the Finder-Go menu drop-down, press the alt-key -- this will toggle the display of the link to "Library" - click on that link to get to the ~Library directory; Or select "go to folder" and enter "~/Library" -- note the tilde character.

    4- Go to the LOTRO.com downloads page and select the "Mac Download" button at the bottom.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

    Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Guarantee you won't find a KB article on anything to do with the Mac Client -- there have never been any.
    Solutions for the PC Client simply do not apply.

    To start over ---
    1- Delete the folder (and all its contents) -- /User/Shared/HappyCloud
    2- Delete the Application /Applications/LOTRO installer.app
    3- Delete the folder (and all its contents) -- ~/library/TheHappyCloud.LOTRO-Installer
    -- In the Finder-Go menu drop-down, press the alt-key -- this will toggle the display of the link to "Library" - click on that link to get to the ~Library directory; Or select "go to folder" and enter "~/Library" -- note the tilde character.

    4- Go to the LOTRO.com downloads page and select the "Mac Download" button at the bottom.
    THAT WORKED. Thank you!

    (I do think that in step 3, there was a folder that the installer was in, but I figured it out (unfortunately, I did not take notes so as to be sure what it was that I deleted to make everything work.)

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload