We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Turbine graphics animations and epilepsy!

I really hate the new swirlies around new items in your inventory. They can't be switched off and everytime you open your bags or visit a vendor there they are again. I have to be very careful when opening my bags as the first time I did I faced 5 full bags of swirlies, which kicked started my having a fit. Luckily my wife was on hand and manged to get a pencil into my mouth to stop me biting my tongue.

I have to say Turbine that you screwed up big time with that one, what idiot thought that facing 100-150 swirlies at a time would look good and never considered what the effect would be on some players? Did all the warnings plastered on games these days about the danger of epileptic fits somehow never get considered?

If you seriously have epilepsy triggered by rapid flashing lights, you probably shouldn't be going anywhere near any sort of video game... it's about the same as saying "Oh, I'm allergic to crab, but as long as I just lick them a bit I usually don't end up in the hospital" :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003dfd3/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I feel for you If you have epilepsy that is triggered by flashings lights and stuff like that. My epilepsy is, thankfully, not triggered by that, knock on wood. There should be an option to turn the effect off. I am generally positive towards greater possibilities to customize the graphics and UI in cases like this, even when the effects do not come with an associated health hazard.

But this thing you say about the pencil worries me a bit. Tongues heal, teeth don't. Yeah, it's a royal pain in the behind to chew up your tongue but it heals surprisingly fast. A shattered tooth/teeth is much worse, not to mention the fact that you might swallow the stuff you get in your mouth.

Live well.

/M

You can disable the new item highlights. Go to:
    1) Options
    2) UI settings
    3) Look for the Misc Section - it is more than half way down.
    4) Find the "Enable New Item Highlighting" option remove the check mark from the box.

Note: Some people have reported that it can be difficult to get this option to work or save in your character data.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 06 2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You can disable the new item highlights. Go to:
    1) Options
    2) UI settings
    3) Look for the Misc Section - it is more than half way down.
    4) Find the "Enable New Item Highlighting" option remove the check mark from the box.

Note: Some people have reported that it can be difficult to get this option to work or save in your character data.
    It is, I have switched it on and off dozens of times but it makes no difference.

And in reply to those who say that I shouldn't be playing video games, I have managed for 30 years without real problems, these stupid swirlies are the first thing that has ever set it off!

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    It is, I have switched it on and off dozens of times but it makes no difference.

And in reply to those who say that I shouldn't be playing video games, I have managed for 30 years without real problems, these stupid swirlies are the first thing that has ever set it off!
    Turbiine's intentions were good. Poor execution. The effect shouldn't be a problem except there is bug in the game software. You and everyone else that wants it to go away will have to wait for a game update that fixes the option.

You have my sympathy that you are in this situation. Perhaps if enough people post that this particular defect is preventing them from playing the game, Turbine will increase the priority of the bug so that it gets fixed quicker.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 06 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Actually, "Enable New Item Highlighting" does work, but unfortunately only on items received in some specific ways and not in other ways. I forgot what exactly, though.

Anyway, I fully agree. I fortunately don't have problems (I also have epilepsy, but mine comes absolutely randomly (not triggered by anything, so, not by flashes), and medication took care of that 100%), but it's extremely annoying nonetheless. I seriously can't imagine someone in Turbine's office going like "Hey, know that very clearly seen red symbol that doesn't annoy anyone? Let's turn them into hyperactive swirlies that moves attention away from looking at your new items, and are generally just incredibly annoying to see!" with the boss replying with "Brilliant, dev #1! Have a raise!".

Also, I have to disagree with people telling those who have epilepsy triggered by flashes that it's their own fault. Indeed, if a new player with epilepsy started this game, he puts himself at risk and so should accept the consequences. But for everyone else, they knew the bags were safe to look at, so for it to suddenly be epilepsy-inducing, that's not their fault. As I always say: "If something new has to be epilepsy-inducing for whatever reason, so be it. But content that's fine to people with epilepsy should remain to be fine to them".

Putting that last part in perspective: there's nothing wrong with a building with only stairs. But if a building has a ramp for wheelchair users to access to building, and that ramp suddenly gets replaced by stairs, that is just being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerfinite View Post
    Putting that last part in perspective: there's nothing wrong with a building with only stairs. But if a building has a ramp for wheelchair users to access to building, and that ramp suddenly gets replaced by stairs, that is just being a dick.
    There is a building in my city that used to be easy to get into via the ramp and walks. They graded and put in a new parking lot. Now you have to get over the curb and up stairs to get out of the parking lot. You can accomplish this task travel is easy because there are no further barriers to walkers and wheel chairs. It took a long time and additional money to correct the problem.