We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

From DMG error, to launch errors to working

I finally got it to work. Here's a list of errors I got and how I solved them. Ug.

I downloaded the DMG. No problems or restarts with the download, but the MD5 (as posted on other topics) wasn't the same.

Opening the DMG file generated an error. I had to skip verification. Not a good sign.

Once the DMG was open, tried to copy the app to my boot drive. Got the dreaded -36 error. I believe this is due to a symlink in the .app that is pointing to a file that is not int he .app.
    I had to copy the app to my hard drive using "sudo cp -r" on the command line.

I also discovered that if the app is not in /Applications it will crash on start up. Something is hard coded for /Applications, and that is not good. Once the app updated after first launch, I moved it to another location, launched it, and it worked. Maybe the problem was resolved in an update, or maybe on first launch it set something that fixed it.

Once I did all this, I was able to launch the app and log in.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPlayer View Post
    I finally got it to work. Here's a list of errors I got and how I solved them. Ug.

I downloaded the DMG. No problems or restarts with the download, but the MD5 (as posted on other topics) wasn't the same.
    You had luck because bad checksum = big problems to expect...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPlayer View Post
    I also discovered that if the app is not in /Applications it will crash on start up. Something is hard coded for /Applications, and that is not good. Once the app updated after first launch, I moved it to another location, launched it, and it worked. Maybe the problem was resolved in an update, or maybe on first launch it set something that fixed it.
    Thanks, that might help me in my current situation (I posted a request for help but for some reason it's not yet approved by the moderator).

Though, as you pointed out, it's very wrong to hard-code /Applications in an application.