We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

KeyMap Issues - Keyboards

I know that some people have complained about not being to map multibutton gaming mice. I can see that is a nice to have feature, but I would suggest that getting keyboards working properly should be a higher priority.

Some common keys are showing up as "Unknown" in the key map interface.

TAB - Unknown
    DELETE - Unknown
    BACKSPACE - Unknown

I am sure there are many more. I suspect the numeric keypad falls into this list. I don't have a keyboard with separate num keys to test, but I'm seeing a lot of "Unknown" maps in the right hand column, which I seem to recall were num keys.

While they each say "Unknown" they do retain their identity in that mapping TAB does not cause a conflict with DELETE. It just becomes very difficult to determine what your key maps actually are.

Also worth noting, the UI map enabled keys do not honour alternative OS level keyboard settings. Specifically if your system is set to DVORAK or COLEMAK, you need to use the QWERTY key positions for mapped keys. On second look, the default key map uses the position of the QWERTY key, but the current keyname - so the default Inventory key on a Colemak system is "U" which is where "I" is located on a conventional keyboard.

Fortunately, the chat interface does not share this problem, so it is fairly easy to just in and remap the UI key settings without having to change back to QWERTY just to play a game.
    Last edited by Freelancer486; Nov 04 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer486 View Post
    I know that some people have complained about not being to map multibutton gaming mice. I can see that is a nice to have feature, but I would suggest that getting keyboards working properly should be a higher priority.

Some common keys are showing up as "Unknown" in the key map interface.

TAB - Unknown
    DELETE - Unknown
    BACKSPACE - Unknown
    I don't know how or if the "lotro.keymap" file is actually accurate and/or working correctly at this time. I haven't done much experimenting with it since the early Beta and just got my Internet back since moving last week.

However, a number of keys actually do work, even though they are listed as "unknown" in the "Options-Key Mapping" -- tab and delete being two that I know of.

That is to say, they do the same thing as the default settings under Windows, but are (apparently) not identified.

Don't forget to bug this sort of thing.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)