We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

About Updating the Housing System - can someone "official" answer this?

A lot of people want housing revamped. Can someone from Turbine that is "official" say if there is going to be any major updates, or that plans are being considered?

Something along these lines would be nice to hear, because us players have been talking about it for too long.

Thanks.
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

I second this request, as usual. Right now, the only reason for me to have a home is for the extra storage. I got bored quickly with the extremely limited "hooks" system. There are way too many housing items available for the amount of hooks and storage available. If "kinship" houses were opened up to single players (instead of having to do the "make-your-own-kin" solution), that would be helpful. Also, I would LOVE to be able to buy a Rohan-style house! It could be something unlocked as a quest in the Great River, or something... I know I'm not the first to say this.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000003a882/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Chestman View Post
    I second this request, as usual. Right now, the only reason for me to have a home is for the extra storage. I got bored quickly with the extremely limited "hooks" system. There are way too many housing items available for the amount of hooks and storage available. If "kinship" houses were opened up to single players (instead of having to do the "make-your-own-kin" solution), that would be helpful. Also, I would LOVE to be able to buy a Rohan-style house! It could be something unlocked as a quest in the Great River, or something... I know I'm not the first to say this.
    No you are not! lol

My suggestion is and was :

On Completion of the COMPLETE Hytbold rebuild, on the opening of Western Rohan, we (as Thanes of Hytbold) are able to Buy a Large Manor slightly smaller than a Kin house, but more hooks etc - as befitting our status as Thanes.

Obviously the new Housing would have to be in the local of Edoras!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001e299a/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I like so many of ya'll really put a lot of effort into housing and find the limitations very frustrating to say the least. This is the last official word about housing that I have seen. I know it's not much but at least they gave some answer.

From the Community Q&A - June 1, 2012

Q32:
    I don't know who to ask specifically, but why hasn't housing been seriously revamped? People with inactive subscriptions take up almost entire neighborhoods, the worst problem is that you have to pay rather high rent for years, which is OK if you are a hardcore gamer, but many if not most of us are casual so it adds up....and the hooks are an issue, at least add more to the houses. They look great at least, but they've been needing some work since the beginning. - Stephanie Coughran Alexander
    A: Housing is an interesting topic around here. It is another one of those things that we talk about. We sometimes have to make hard choices about priorities… (But we do talk about this one a lot!) - Linda “LLena” Currie, Design Director
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I like so many of ya'll really put a lot of effort into housing and find the limitations very frustrating to say the least. This is the last official word about housing that I have seen. I know it's not much but at least they gave some answer.

From the Community Q&A - June 1, 2012

Q32:
    I don't know who to ask specifically, but why hasn't housing been seriously revamped? People with inactive subscriptions take up almost entire neighborhoods, the worst problem is that you have to pay rather high rent for years, which is OK if you are a hardcore gamer, but many if not most of us are casual so it adds up....and the hooks are an issue, at least add more to the houses. They look great at least, but they've been needing some work since the beginning. - Stephanie Coughran Alexander
    A: Housing is an interesting topic around here. It is another one of those things that we talk about. We sometimes have to make hard choices about priorities… (But we do talk about this one a lot!) - Linda “LLena” Currie, Design Director

ITs a Lie its been 5 years (soon 6) they never talk about housing and they gonna leave it as it is

Turbine doesnt care either about this part of forum

We can only dream about it

sad

But

True

Quote Originally Posted by Gillrain View Post
    ITs a Lie its been 5 years (soon 6) they never talk about housing and they gonna leave it as it is

Turbine doesnt care either about this part of forum

We can only dream about it

sad

But

True
    What he said.

Turbine made promises years ago which were never kept (and I'm not twisting their words - they DID promise). The current housing system was supposed to only be 'temporary' while they finished designing an 'awesome' housing system. That never happened.

In addition, I guess it was around 2 years ago when the GM who was currently in charge of housing blatantly said on the forums that Housing wasn't a priority, it almost definitely never would be a priority, and he never even read the Housing forums. I don't know if the same GM is responsible for housing - but the same apathy is there. NOTHING in this forum EVER gets responded to by 'official' Turbine employees - and it's highly unlikely that anything in this forum is even ever read, regardless of their statements to the contrary.

So good luck, but don't hold your breath. I personally am disgusted with this aspect of LotRO.
    [CENTER][COLOR="Orange"][I][SIZE="1"]This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 55 seconds.[/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Call me crazy but I still refuse to give up hope!

A fool's hope perhaps...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I am going to continue to hope as well. If we the players give up, then Turbine will surely never make any improvements, but if we keep asking, reminding, etc...perhaps someday someone will read our pleas!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000011c3ee/01006/signature.png]Amella[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by lostinjapan2 View Post

So good luck, but don't hold your breath. I personally am disgusted with this aspect of LotRO.

+1, sad but true, tho i like your signature, i guess more people who have feeling that housing is totaly not ok should do this, i still have hope, as someone said, foolls hope it is

At the moment i guess there will be no answer, RoR is all over, and housing is minor item even if its problem for last years. On the other hand its not all so bad, Hobbit will be on big screens in few weeks
    Last edited by Theowien; Nov 18 2012 at 07:03 AM.

I'm very new to LOTRO (only since September!) but I certainly agree that the housing system needs to be revamped. If I had known what it was like, I probably wouldn't have even bought a house yet. Not just a new house with more hooks, but a whole new system.

It seems like they're more interested in cheesing out the loot and quests systems and making everything easier and more accessible for new players, than they are the established (read: hooked) older players.

Unfortunately, they won't officially say anything until they have something official to say.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000160bc4/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hate the new Edit Signature functionality

The world didn't end so what's the excuse?

That's right. They figured, why fix housing if the world is ending on 12/21/2012. Well it didn't end folks! Wake up! Your last excuse for inactivity has vanished!

people have been asking for this for years. Some have even said they would be willing to pay for it like an update. Maybe if they could just put it in the store, the suggestions thread has a ton of interesting features that people have suggested. Instead, turbine gives us more ways to earn more housing items meaning we have to get rid of more items that we worked hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by mingthemerciless View Post
    people have been asking for this for years. Some have even said they would be willing to pay for it like an update. Maybe if they could just put it in the store, the suggestions thread has a ton of interesting features that people have suggested. Instead, turbine gives us more ways to earn more housing items meaning we have to get rid of more items that we worked hard to get.
    They can't put it in the store until it's made. Talk is cheap. It's easy to say "I know people who'd drop some serious cash on housing." Well, how do the people who say that know that for sure? I would happily take advantage of housing improvements if they did not cost points.

Housing improvements are not going to happen. The devs threw the current system together when a lot of players demanded housing RIGHT NOW, with the intention of improving it "later". Then subscriptions declined and the money for development became limited. What you see is what you got, and no amount of pleading or threats or piteous cries of anguish are going to change this.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust them not to screw up housing even more if they did try to fix it, after all, these are the people who decided punish us by making us re-buy our house if we left the game for any length of time. I checked in on my housing maintenance after patching up the game and saw that they wanted 6 gold and change to re-open my house. Sorry, not going to happen.
    -God was my copilot, but we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.

The other thing to consider is that the devs can only comment on what they are allowed to comment on, I am certain that they are not allowed to talk about housing at all, on orders from management.
    Founder/Lifetime Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Frankly, I wouldn't trust them not to screw up housing even more if they did try to fix it, after all, these are the people who decided punish us by making us re-buy our house if we left the game for any length of time. I checked in on my housing maintenance after patching up the game and saw that they wanted 6 gold and change to re-open my house. Sorry, not going to happen.
    That's not re-buying your house, that's paying missed upkeep to access your house.

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Housing improvements are not going to happen. The devs threw the current system together when a lot of players demanded housing RIGHT NOW, with the intention of improving it "later". Then subscriptions declined and the money for development became limited. What you see is what you got, and no amount of pleading or threats or piteous cries of anguish are going to change this.

That 6gold was the amount of money you would of paid for up keep.... And your reaction to the cost is why there are empty neighborhoods... So for the people that do stick around and dont leave the game for months at a time, I think your housing should be taken away. Not only would this repopulate the area it will also give ppl like you who like to whin about stuff the oppertunity to whin about something else (like your house being taken away).