We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Spoilers: Curse of Wyrgende. Poorly written?

Ok I'm in the instance where Eomer visits the stone where the curse is written.

The curse basically says "no son or heir of Fengel would live to sit long on the throne".

Because Theoden and his father Eomer is supposed to be worried because Thjeoden and his father Thengel both lived long on the throne the people had thought the curse had been lifted.

But now everyone (and Eomer) is worried because with the death of Theodred it is thought the curse was still in effect.

My problem = Theodred never took the throne as Theoden is still alive when he dies = so the curse wouldn't apply.

A miss on the part of Turbine or is just simply "poetic license" in the use of Rohan lore/superstition?
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JayDeeHobbit/media/LOTROs-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/JayDeeHobbit/LOTROs-1.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=limegreen][b]Wulfgrim Ghastban, Hrothwine and Galdrefyst of Rohan - Peckish of the Shire -- Riddermark[/b][/color]
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” JRRT

Maybe it's "would not live long enough to sit on the throne". That would fit.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Maybe it's "would not live long enough to sit on the throne". That would fit.
    I dont think I have it wrong Blackbird = I believe it is that they would not sit on the throne for long.
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JayDeeHobbit/media/LOTROs-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/JayDeeHobbit/LOTROs-1.jpg~original[/IMG][/URL]
    [color=limegreen][b]Wulfgrim Ghastban, Hrothwine and Galdrefyst of Rohan - Peckish of the Shire -- Riddermark[/b][/color]
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” JRRT

If Theodren doesn't live long enough to sit on the throne at all, then he doesn't "live to sit long on the throne" either. I dunno, it makes sense to me. Theodred is clearly an heir of Fengel and that doesn't change just because he dies before becoming King. I think it's fine.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000002cab3/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [FONT=book antiqua][COLOR=#808080][SIZE=2]
    . . . plus too many alts![/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by FittyBolger View Post
    Ok I'm in the instance where Eomer visits the stone where the curse is written.

The curse basically says "no son or heir of Fengel would live to sit long on the throne".

Because Theoden and his father Eomer is supposed to be worried because Thjeoden and his father Thengel both lived long on the throne the people had thought the curse had been lifted.

But now everyone (and Eomer) is worried because with the death of Theodred it is thought the curse was still in effect.

My problem = Theodred never took the throne as Theoden is still alive when he dies = so the curse wouldn't apply.

A miss on the part of Turbine or is just simply "poetic license" in the use of Rohan lore/superstition?
    You paraphrased it not entirely accurately. At the stone right now in game: "...No lord of your line shall long live, Upon thy seat no son shall settle..." My interpretation: The heir will end up dying before becoming king. Which is basically what Eomer was worried about. Granted I didn't talk to the "learned scholar" in the instance just outside of it so maybe he has two sets of translations?

On the other hand, Theoden lived to succeed his father Thengel, who had returned to Rohan reluctantly.

On the OTHER hand, if you've read the books you know that Eomer DID succeed Theoden, and reigned for sixty-five years and founded the third royal line of the Mark. The first had been founded by Eorl the Young, and ended with Helm Hammerhand, who died with his sons in the Long Winter of 2759, and was also succeeded by his sister-son, Frealaf Hildeson, who founded the second line..

It's all in the Appendices.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    On the other hand, Theoden lived to succeed his father Thengel, who had returned to Rohan reluctantly.

On the OTHER hand, if you've read the books you know that Eomer DID succeed Theoden, and reigned for sixty-five years and founded the third royal line of the Mark. The first had been founded by Eorl the Young, and ended with Helm Hammerhand, who died with his sons in the Long Winter of 2759, and was also succeeded by his sister-son, Frealaf Hildeson, who founded the second line..

It's all in the Appendices.
    Which means either the curse is total rubbish, people dying young can happen jsut because especially in that time period... or Eomer and Theoden aren't actually descendants of Thengel? Perhaps Theoden was actually the milkman's son... lol. No, perhaps not.

Curses generally work only as long as people believe that they work.

Don't you think there is a possibility that the curse might be broken by the time Eomer takes the throne?
    That our epic in fact will deal with this curse and resolve it?

Quote Originally Posted by DarObel View Post
    You paraphrased it not entirely accurately. At the stone right now in game: "...No lord of your line shall long live, Upon thy seat no son shall settle..." My interpretation: The heir will end up dying before becoming king. Which is basically what Eomer was worried about. Granted I didn't talk to the "learned scholar" in the instance just outside of it so maybe he has two sets of translations?
    Indeed when you talk to the scholar at the stone he does read the curse a different way.

What I'm talking about is the quest narritave... I could be wrong but the OP is how I heard it and it struck me as off.

The core problem would perhaps be that it's somewhat contrived and possibly an unnecessary extra story.

At least I don't recall any curse of this sort.

For those interested about the Stone and what it's supposed to say and what it in fact does say...here. Enjoy!
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    For those interested about the Stone and what it's supposed to say and what it in fact does say...here. Enjoy!
    *bows* Whoa! That's awesome!

How I wish I could get those tapestries for my kinhouse for kinship called ""Rohirrim".

i think youve nailed a key point without saying it:

curses and superstitions are subject to interpretation and the whims/desires/hopes of the person reading/interpreting it.

basically, they are seeing what they want to see (although this IS a game, where curses can be very "real.")

reminds me of pretty much and religious of philosophical debate ive ever had in my life.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

SapienChaves makes a good point on more than one account; superstition has as much power as individuals give to them, but this is also a game.

What no one has stated is that the curse also said that it would only be broken when Rohan rose to glory again. Rohan rose to glory in Helm's Deep, on the Pelennor, and the Black Gate, being a vital element in the defeat of Sauron. Curse is broken.

I personally think that, if breaking oaths (and being cursed by the one you made the oath to) can lead one to become a shade, a curse such as Wyrgende's is plausible, especially in Turbine's interpretation of the world.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL