We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Framerate difference between native Mac client and Wine-based solutions?

Anybody measure the framerate difference between native Mac client and Wine-based solutions (crossover etc)?

I haven't done any proper testing, but I'll note that it's difficult to do a meaningful comparison because the game would crash frequently and exhibit glitches in CrossOver if the graphics settings were too high. Mobs and NPCs would become invisible and untargetable, buildings too. The LHH disappeared entirely for me a few times, and I'd often see hobbit hole doors just floating a few feet in front of an otherwise bare hillside. Sometimes all the water in the game simply disappeared, or all the geometry beyond a certain distance.

The higher the settings, particularly texture resolution and anything involving shaders, the sooner these problems would show up and the more frequently the crashes would happen. The most stable way to play was with pixel shaders disabled entirely in the wine configuration (never had a crash that way).

By contrast, the native client has none of these most serious issues (so far). I can run on Ultra settings just fine. I'll probably drop a few of the settings once I experiment to find which ones give the biggest speed boost for the least quality drop, since the frame rate is just a little lower than I'd like. (Using a Radeon HD 5770 BTW.)

I used to get around 60 fps wandering around outdoors in the Shire with few other characters around. I'll see how the native client compares if I drop the settings to as close an approximation as possible of what I used in CrossOver.

Strange, I didn't have these problems on Linux which should be mostly identical with both going through wine.