We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Mac, not MAC

Mac, not MAC

Regarding the name of this very forum section: Mac is not an acronym; it's short for Macintosh, which was named for the late Jef Raskin's "favourite kind of eatin' apple" (with the spelling slightly altered for legal reasons).

This kind of a lack of attention-to-detail makes me pretty nervous about Turbine's overall commitment to the Mac client.

People corrected the spelling in the beta (several times), and Turbine never changed it.

Has the person on the community team who created the forum never used a Mac? Not ever?

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow8579 View Post
    This kind of a lack of attention-to-detail makes me pretty nervous about Turbine's overall commitment to the Mac client.

People corrected the spelling in the beta (several times), and Turbine never changed it.

Has the person on the community team who created the forum never used a Mac? Not ever?
    Or perhaps they simply want to emphasize the existence of a new MAC section in the forum and render it easier to see? Not sure why you jump to conclusions so quickly.

EVE Online has forever kept their Mac forum named 'Macintosh' which grates with some. If you want to be pedantic then 'OS X' would be a more correct title given that they name the 'other' section 'Windows PC Technical Support' named after the operating system.

Mac would be more correct than MAC but, that we have one, is the important thing.
    Last edited by Toddlepip; Nov 02 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Formengil View Post
    Regarding the name of this very forum section: Mac is not an acronym; it's short for Macintosh, which was named for the late Jef Raskin's "favourite kind of eatin' apple" (with the spelling slightly altered for legal reasons).
    Agreed, I saw the forum and wondered why they had a whole forum dedicated to network cards.

Or perhaps they are focused on fixing stuff, rather than fannying around with names of forums.

Seriously, you have an excellent true Open GL native client and you're questioning their commitment? Do you have any idea how much effort this will have taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Demaith View Post
    Or perhaps they are focused on fixing stuff, rather than fannying around with names of forums.

Seriously, you have an excellent true Open GL native client and you're questioning their commitment? Do you have any idea how much effort this will have taken?
    Attention to detail is attention to detail. If someone lacks this in one area, it doesn't necessarily mean they lack it in another area, but it raises suspicions in that regard.

It isn't like we are talking about something arcane and weird. This is common knowledge. Multiple people corrected them in the beta forums. They paid zero attention.

Right. So because the ONE GUY who set up the forum made a simple mistake, you question the entire company's commitment to detail? Look at the homepage and you'll see that they refer to it as a Mac client there. Even the frigging download URL says Mac.

You're being pedantic. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
    Right. So because the ONE GUY who set up the forum made a simple mistake, you question the entire company's commitment to detail? Look at the homepage and you'll see that they refer to it as a Mac client there. Even the frigging download URL says Mac.

You're being pedantic. Get over it.
    One guy made a simple mistake, which several people quite politely corrected in the beta forums. They proceeded to ignore that and have the same guy make the same mistake with this forum.

As I said, it creates a whiff of suspicion that they are not exactly dotting all the "i's" and crossing the "t's" with the Mac client. Not registering with Apple's Developer ID program, to name one example.

One guy made a simple mistake, which several people quite politely corrected in the beta forums. They proceeded to ignore that and have the same guy make the same mistake with this forum.

As I said, it creates a whiff of suspicion that they are not exactly dotting all the "i's" and crossing the "t's" with the Mac client. Not registering with Apple's Developer ID program, to name one example.
    This is deff an issue. Not everyone wants to disable GateKeeper and the trick of "right click->Open" doesn't work since the .app is calling another .app buried within.