We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Native Mac client will not open

    Today I download the native mac client beta as made available by turbine. I copied it to my desktop and when I tried to open it it says,

    LotroLauncher cannot be opened because of a problem.

    check with the developer to make sure lotrolauncher works with this version of mac OS X.... etc...etc

    I just did a software update on my mac and it still doesn't work.

    Any ideas on what I have to do?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    What operating system are you on? I think it needs minimum Lion to work mate
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000012bddc/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  3. #3
    That is the error message you get when using an older Apple OS that is not supported by the Mac client. You need Lion 10.7 or higher - Mountain Lion 10.8.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 01 2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know how I can get the updated lion? Is it free?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know how I can get the updated lion? Is it free?
    You pay dollars to buy it from the Mac App store. Apparently that you have Snow Leopard installed in order to access the Mac App store to buy and download Lion.

    Here is one example:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1161...r_leopard.html
    of an article that will explain some of the nasty in and outs of Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. There is another story for getting Mountain Lion after you have Lion.

    Thankfully, I have a son at home that has a Mac to talk to.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You pay dollars to buy it from the Mac App store. Apparently that you have Snow Leopard installed in order to access the Mac App store to buy and download Lion.

    Here is one example:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1161...r_leopard.html
    of an article that will explain some of the nasty in and outs of Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. There is another story for getting Mountain Lion after you have Lion.

    Thankfully, I have a son at home that has a Mac to talk to.
    I have mac os x 10.6.8
    I am using a macbook pro which I bought in 2010 or 2011. It came with snow leopard. Is there a way for me to get to os x10.7 for free?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    I dont know mate. All I know is that the upgrade shouldnt cost that much, its pennies compared to windows OS from the app store.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000012bddc/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    I have mac os x 10.6.8
    I am using a macbook pro which I bought in 2010 or 2011. It came with snow leopard. Is there a way for me to get to os x10.7 for free?
    Not any more. Apple uses a limited free time upgrade. If you bought a machine with Snow Leopard on after Lion went live, I believe you had 30 days to claim your free upgrade or loose it.

    The only offer that I am aware of is that folks that buy a qualifying Mac without Mountain Lion have 30 days to upgrade for free.

    Remember Lion launched a long time ago. It went live on July 20, 2011. It was replaced by Mountain Lion July 25, 2012. You would have needed to claim your free upgrade back in 2011 if you were eligible.

    Apple OSes have always inexpensive in comparison to Microsoft OSes. For example, Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion upgrade is 20 dollars. See:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    for more info.

    Finding information on Lion on the web is a hassle because Lion is the old discontinued OS. When you search for Lion, the search engines present information on the current OS which is called Mountain Lion. The search engines assuming you are looking for Mountain Lion and left the Mountain out of the search.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 01 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  9. #9
    So what you're saying is I cant play lotro anymore unless i spend $20 on the latest OS from the app store?

    Why can't it run on my current OS? It was working fine with wine.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    So what you're saying is I cant play lotro anymore unless i spend $20 on the latest OS from the app store?

    Why can't it run on my current OS? It was working fine with wine.
    Turbine did not want to spend the dollars to develop a Mac client for very old Apple OSes like Leopard and Snow Leopard.

    You can always go back to Wine when it is fixed. Companies like Parallels that provides Crossover to allow Mac users to run Windows applications on Macs said that fixing their product for Lotro was not priority. Most of their customers are on Lion or Mountain Lion. They will be using the Turbine native Mac client. They did not see the point to providing a fix in a hurry for the few remaining Leopard and Snow Leopard folks. Apparently they are going to work on fixing the Linux version of Crossover first for Lotro.

    If you are really hurting for money, go to the Apple app store. Look up a Snow Leopard to Lion upgrade. Lion is an old OS at this point. It should cost a lot less than a Mountain Lion upgrade.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Nov 01 2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    So what you're saying is I cant play lotro anymore unless i spend $20 on the latest OS from the app store?

    Why can't it run on my current OS? It was working fine with wine.
    Sorry to say but that seems to be the case mate
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000012bddc/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3
    Ugh - downloaded and ran the installer, etc. only to find I need Lion?!

    I wish it was noted somewhere that the native Mac client will run in Lion only...Or if it was mentioned, I didn't see it.

    I haven't upgraded because of work FileMaker Pro v. 8 database that I have to continue using and was told it's files would not print unless I upgraded FMP, which I can't afford at this time.

    Anyway, I now have even stronger motivation to come up with a workaround...sooner or later.
    Last edited by AwakeningAvatar; Nov 02 2012 at 06:45 AM.

  13. #13
    yeah I would have liked to know that OS X 10.7 or above was required before I did the 16GB download

  14. #14
    OK. So i download mountain lion and lotro opened. It's still patching but it's stuck on "checking dat files". Its been doing that for a really long time. How long does it take (on average)?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollec View Post
    OK. So i download mountain lion and lotro opened. It's still patching but it's stuck on "checking dat files". Its been doing that for a really long time. How long does it take (on average)?
    Doesn't usually take very long, but I do have occasional issues with the launcher getting stuck. quit/relaunch has solved that problem every time so far.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000af3c6/01008/signature.png]Ateowe[/charsig]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2
    "Herr der Ringe Online" is damaged - Please take it in the "paper basket" ; (

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateowe View Post
    Doesn't usually take very long, but I do have occasional issues with the launcher getting stuck. quit/relaunch has solved that problem every time so far.
    I have tried that several times and it still stays stuck. I have no idea what to do. Is there a way to restart the patch? When I reopen the launcher, it starts the patch where it left off

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload